Exclusive

Exclusive: NBC Sets Smash Reunion as Megan Hilty Joins Sean Hayes' New Fall Comedy

Megan Hilty Sean Saves the WorldAnd now for some rather Smash-ing news: Megan Hilty has landed a series regular role opposite her former Smash co-star Sean Hayes in his new NBC comedy Sean Saves the World, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Hilty will play Liz, the BFF and co-worker of Hayes’ character — the role originally portrayed by Lindsay Sloane, who left the project shortly after it was greenlit by NBC.

RELATED | Fall TV Schedule 2013: What’s on When? And Versus What?

The multi-cam sitcom, which will air Thursdays at 9/8c, finds Hayes attempting to both parent the teenage daughter who just moved in and appease a temperamental new boss. (Watch the trailer.) The cast also includes Linda Lavin (Alice), Echo Kellum (Ben and Kate), Thomas Lennon (Reno 911!), Samantha Isler and Vik Sahay (Chuck).

PHOTOS & VIDEO | Fall Preview: Your Guide to What’s New

On Smash, Hayes played a powerful but neurotic Hollywood star whose broad comic performance threatened (and eventually doomed) a Broadway musical version of Dangerous Liaisons. Hilty’s Ivy Lynn proved to be the sole cast member who could give Hayes’ flighty stae the completely unfiltered feedback he needed — leading to a bond that was occasionally sweet and very frequently zany.

1. Mila says:

Good for Hilty!

So sad Lindsay Sloane can find a stable role.

2. Jack says:

Megan Hilty can do better.

• I love Megan too, she was very good in Smash. but quit calling this a Smash reunion, 1 regular character and one that was on 2 or 3 times, does NOT constitute a reunion. Smash was better and should have been given more of a chance to find an audience. Shoving it to Saturday did not help, but I watched anyway.

• dude says:

Agreed. You don’t follow a breakthrough performance like Smash with a sidekick role. It’s suppose to go the other way.

• jericho says:

Agreed… take an acting role and not something “musical” for your first post-Smash role? …. So happy she got a role, so sad that its on a show that will get canceled so fast and with no singing.

• rowan77 says:

I think you’re being short-sighted. Sean’s big break was a sidekick part – and he became a star. Megan Mullally also was a sidekick on WIll and Grace and became huge. Because she choose to follow up that show with a talk show, she sidelined her TV career. Christine Baranski also was a sidekick on Cybil and she became huge.

If you get the right actor in a well written role, it can make them a star. I just find it amusing that she just sang about how getting a TV is a big deal/yet TV sucks (a tongue-in- cheek medley) and now she’s starring on another TV show. I loved her in Smash (but hated the show). I’m very happy that she’s on a show NBC believes in so much they put it in the tentpole position on Thursday night. Good for Megan!

• Erin says:

The problem is not that she’ll be playing a sidekick, it’s that the show looks so horribly awful that it’s bound to be canned in a handful of episodes.

• rowan77 says:

Not the way NBC has positioned it. I give it minimum of one season. Remember, this is the same group of execs that gave Whitney two years. They like Sean and want to be in the Sean Hayes business. I think they’ll likely move it to 9:30 in a switch with the Michael J Fox Show (which would be smart because that should be the tentpole show), but we’ll see.

I encourage you to not be defeatist about this. And getting what she’s getting for a 13 episode pickup is going to keep her in the green. Plus, even if it does get cancelled by X-mas, Pilot season starts in January so she’ll be fine.

3. bobbie says:

omg, yes!!! I didn’t think Megan Hilty would be back on tv, but wow, and yay! She was wonderful in Smash.

4. Rob says:

NBC owes it to her, but her caliber of talent is far above a sitcom of this nature. I love pretty much everyone in the cast now with Megan Hilty on board, so I will definitely watch this one come fall.

• Jared says:

Couldn’t agree more!

She is so much more talented than a show like this, no offense to Sean Hayes.

• Leo says:

I agree. Was expecting her to have a role in something more substantial or maybe shine on something on Broadway. Well, I’ll watch this because of the cast also but not really sure if it will be good.

5. the girl says:

Oh Megan Hilty. This news is so bittersweet. We’ll get you back only to lose you again (my money’s on seven episodes).

• scooby says:

The Tonys number she was part of about being on a failed tv show was awesome, and she had to know she was up for this when she did that. Probably made it more fun. For anybody who hasn’t seen it, check it out on Youtube. Hilarious. NPH, Megan, Laura Benanti, Andrew Rannells, (cameo of sorts by Will Chase sitting next to, ehem, Debra Messing).

• Laurie says:

I checked it out. That was hilarious.

• Opinionmine says:

That is because “ehem” Messing and Chase have been dating since SMASH.

• Amanda says:

Could they *be* more adorable?! So cute, I can’t even handle it.

• rowan77 says:

Life imitating art. Messing’s character on Smash was having an affair with Chase’s character at the same time they were actually having an affair which ended their respective marriages. Oops!

• Jamie says:

Except both of their marriages had already ended and they had separated from their partners before they began dating. So not really life imitating art in that respect.

• rowan77 says:

Not so. Messing basically admitted in an interview last fall that she want through the same thing Julia went through at the same time so she understood the character. Look it up.

She separated with her husband AFTER. So did Will. It happens.

• Opinionmine says:

It is called a case of LMS (sometimes LWS) Leading Man(Woman) Syndrome. In this case, both.

6. D'oh says:

I like Lindsay Sloane! But now maybe she can find something that will last.

• rowan77 says:

I do too. She gives off a very different vibe than Megan Hilty. The obviously took the character in a different direction. Lindsay will find something.

7. Domenica says:

She should go back to Broadway though and win a real Tony!! :(

8. Amy says:

This show just got itself a chance. I am hopeful that Hays will play a human man, versus the caricature he’s been lately. Hated him on both Up All Night and Smash.

9. LE says:

Mmm I wasn’t planning to watch the show… but I love Megan Hilty <3, she was my favorite on Smash. But I have mix feelings, I wish she was in a series where she can really shine..

10. tfmh18 says:

This news makes me so sad. Hilty is an immaculate talent and to lose her from the Broadway stage again for this garbage bag of a show (laugh track and all) which won’t even finish out an entire season… Distraught.

11. dan says:

I’m torn by this news. On the one hand, I have been a Megan Hilty fan ever since I saw her on Broadway in “Wicked” many years ago and I’m glad she’ll be on tv again. On the other hand, I’m a Lindsay Sloane fan and I was excited for her when this show was picked up by NBC (even though I’m not a big Sean Hayes fan). That’s show biz!

12. Kalee says:

Multi-cam comedy on NBC? Hilty (and this project) can do better.

13. dex says:

Hey,..work is work..with so many actors out of a job, at least she’s working, and it may lead to something else. Wouldn’t be the first time. This may or may not be a flop, why not give it a chance.

14. Kim says:

I am so super excited that she got another tv role. Megan Hilty is terrific! This helps ease Smash not being on the air!

15. Leslie says:

Sean Hayes was horrible on SMASH! And I didn’t see any chemistry between he and Hilty! I won’t be watching this show – it looks TERRIBLE!

16. John says:

Happy she’s booking work, sad she’ll be out of a job again in seven months.

17. K2 says:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Megan Hilty but this show looks HORRIBLE!

18. ABC says:

Work is work, people.

19. Sandi says:

Love Megan,wish she was starring in a singing role!!!!

20. Don’t know how Sean Saves the World should fare against CBS’ The Crazy Ones in the 9 p.m. Thursday night time slot this Fall.

• wi says:

I dont know about the Crazy Ones – I can see Williams’s shtick getting really old really fast. Which is the same issue Hayes’s show is facing.

I think NBC should have just showed some cajones and put the MJFox show at 9 to face Robin Williams, and anchor the night around it, with Parks (hopefully) bringing their audience to 8.

21. M says:

She’s my hero. This leaves me less than hopeful I will hear her sing as often. High five from one Megan to another.

22. teddybb2 says:

EXTREMELY EXCITED FOR MEGAN HILTY!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D Now I just need Jack Davenport, a comedic genius btw (watch Coupling UK if you don’t believe me!) to return to the small screen and all will be right and I can sleep easier.

23. a pal says:

Well, we already know that Sean and Megan make a fantastic sitcom. Of course the first one was with Megan Mullally, but Hilty is even more fabulous.