Exclusive

Nurse Jackie Exclusive: Eve Best Checks Out

Nurse Jackie Season 6 Eve Best LeavingJackie Peyton’s losing her BFF.

Eve Best will not be returning for Nurse Jackie‘s upcoming sixth season, TVLine has learned exclusively.

“It was her choice,” executive producer Richie Jackson says. “She wanted to move back to London and devote time to theatre work there.”

RELATED | TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

Best — who played Dr. Eleanor O’Hara, the onscreen confidante and co-worker of Edie Falco’s title character, since the launch of the Showtime dramedy in 2009 — actually relocated to her native UK prior to the start of the show’s current fifth season. However, producers managed to keep O’Hara around via a handful of pre-taped cameos. (On the show, O’Hara also relocated to London.)

There’s some good news for fans of the Jackie-O’Hara friendship: The besties reunite in this Sunday’s Season 5 finale (watch a preview below).

1. Diane says:

I though she had already officially left.

2. Ryan says:

It was as if she was already gone anyways…such a shame.

3. Maryanna says:

I honestly forgot about her..I think and maybe it’s just me but I think this has been the greatest season yet!

• Rob says:

Yeah, just you. At least for me. I really missed O’Hara this season and I missed her relationship with Jackie. It would’ve been an interesting dynamic to see Jackie dating while O’Hara gave advice and what not. What I did like was that it forced Jackie to become closer to Eddie and Gloria as contemporaries and I’m still holding out for a “Jeddie” romantic reunion before series end.

• Juliewf says:

It’s not just you, I have really enjoyed this season as well.

4. Holly says:

Sad to hear Eve Best won’t return to Nurse Jackie but happy that she’s working on other projects. O’Hara changed a lot after the baby anyway so se la vie. The show can go on without her.

5. Holly says:

That was a great scene by the way. On second thought, I’m going to miss O’Hara and Jackie. I love their friendship.

6. Brianne says:

I did miss her this season but it was still a great season. Betty Gilpin and Adam Ferrera were such good additions that I think it filled the void left by Eve Best.

7. lellingw says:

Who would want to be in this show now? This season with the new producers has been so misogynic two episodes had to do with her birthday and getting old, getting used to a date when she was able to date several men at a time before and Kevin turned into an absolute jerk. Akilitus turned into an incompetent and a new doctor was a woman who had nothing but sex going for her. Grace turns into a slut miraculously but somehow her anxiety disorder and OCD was cured? I loved Nurse Jackie but have been very disappointed with this season and how even the color palette couldn’t match the earlier show. It’s not enjoyable anymore, nor is it respectful of the characters that were created and very interesting. I’m glad Eve Best made the choice she did and think she has a lot better things to do with her time.

• Tania says:

You know what’s amazing about your comment, lellingw? That you and I watched the same episodes and yet, you did not comprehend a single thing of what you saw. Makes me wonder if you were tweeting instead of actually paying attention to what was going on in a given episode.

• CountryQueen says:

Jackie is dealing with life sober now – that is much different than when she was on drugs – which is why she dated those men. Do you think she really loved Eddie? It was about drug access to her – everything in her life at that time was about access to drugs – and then getting high. Kevin has been quite a jerk – but imagine yourself in his position – your entire life with your wife seems like it’s been a lie – you realize how much she’s been lying to you – how do you trust anything she has to say again? Maybe in several years, but within a year of getting sober – there’s going to be lots of anger and hostility.

8. Tania says:

I suspected that Eve Best’s shortened appearances were the last hurrah for her. I shall miss her and the whole Jackie and O’Hara dynamic. :(

9. snowy says:

I love O’Hara. Was sure we’d see her in S6 since she showed up at Jackie’s 365 day celebration. Though I thoroughly enjoyed S5 she will be missed!

10. Donna says:

For some reason, you can watch NJ On-Demand before it even airs. Consequently, I already saw the season finale. Spoiler alert – you will be disappointed at how much you see of O’Hara in the finale.

• mbh says:

Thanks for the warning. I will keep my expectations low. The new show runners did not give the O’Hara- Nurse Jackie friendship the respect that the Birkus and Wallem did. The friendship grew for four years. There were highs and lows. Jackie’s drug use affected their relationship in many ways. O’Hara forgave Jackie and was supportive of her and her family. O’Hara had just purchased a home to raise her baby in NYC. O’Hars shouldn’t have come to work one day and say I’m going back to London. Birxus/wallem would have cared for this friendship differntlu. O would have spoken with J one on one. Like they use to talk abt things. We were lucky to have Best/Birxus/Wallem as long as we did. Best is directing MacBeth this summer. Birxius/Wallem are back in Cali working on diff projects. Still want Lenny and Zoey back together.

• Dennis says:

It was ridiculous – and she was clearly (and poorly!) added into the scene…

11. Jake says:

Eve Best is amazing as O’Hara. I will miss her a lot. I loved the interaction between Coop and her. I wish her all the best.

12. Mike Browne says:

I was privileged to work with her on “Feynman and the Challenger” shot in Johannesburg. What a truly wonderful and caring person she is.

13. SusanNN says:

She’s what made the show as good as it was and as interesting to watch. I loved living vicariously thru the character. The rest of the characters are all really “mundane”. She was so classy and so well played. I loved the first few seasons, then it got…not so funny and a lot more predictable. The first couple of seasons you couldn’t guess what was going to happen next. Now you can pretty much tell once the story line starts.

I think not having O’Hara is going to kill the show.

14. Lou says:

Waaaah:(! I’m gonna miss her!!:(

15. leranne says:

Eve best please come back to nurse jacky your my favourite character and I love your British sexy mature c
    haracter come back as best mom ever and jackys best friends Pls not the same without u

16. Leave Comments says:

I really liked her character very much. I think she added a lot to the show, and will miss her.

17. Monica says:

I’m a huge Zoey fan she is hysterical and dr prentiss is a great addition.. Dr roman ? Incompetent but hysterical! I think the show will get by without o’hara!

18. Janet says:

I would love to see Cruz back. Not the same without his cranky sexy self.

19. Linette says:

When exactly does season 6 start? It seems like it has been forever since I saw it & I’m craving for new episodes. I love this show. Please don’t ever cancel & to all of the actors please don’t ever quit you’re all amazing

• john says:

I would like to say to all the wonderful people who act in or write , direct, produce, you all deserve awards for the way the show projects true feelings and making all truly believable. Please never give up. You are all great. Ty

20. Jenny says:

Season 5 was a real disappointment. Let’s start with Betty Gilpin as Dr. Roman. Who cast her and why? I couldn’t decipher one emotion from the next. She is probably beautiful underneath all the plastic surgery, but who can tell? Rage = sadness = happiness. Ugh. I know her character is meant to be unlikeable, so congratulations?

Not enough Zoey or O’Hare. Let’s face it. Other than Jackie, those two are the reasons many of us watch. I miss O’Hare so much. She is gorgeous, and is written as a hilarious and brilliant foil to Jackie. Zoey is magical, and I know I’m certainly not alone on this one. More Zoey! May I just say that the Zoey/Ike thing makes me very happy? Well, again, I know I’m not alone, but it bears repeating.

Jackie’s boyfriend, the loveable, “Hey! Ho! I’m a cop!” guy is fine.

Eddie is a whiner.

Kevin is still there.

Gloria is not being used to the best of that actress’s abilities. I miss The West Wing.

Thor. Lovely and hilarious.

Coop. Shmoop.

Ike Prentiss. Rhymes with yes. (At least it does when I say it.)

And now the ending. (SPOILER ALERT!)

I’m not sure there was an ending there that would have satisfied Jackie fans. Stay the course and fall asleep? Take the pill and go back down the rabbit hole?

I didn’t know that there was going to be a sixth season when I watched, so as horrified as I was by Jackie’s decision (I think I may have audibly gasped), I felt it was the right one in terms of leaving the viewer to fill in the future. I do love an ambiguous ending.

Now that I know there’s a sixth season in the works I guess it’s the right decision too. Watching sober, friendly, kind Jackie navigate work/life/kids/divorce/hey-ho-boyfriend might not make for entertaining television. And let’s face it. We love to watch a train wreck. (Cue Honey Boo Boo, all the Bachelors, Real Housewives, that Bethany person, all the famous people who became famous due to sex tapes, Donald Trump, everyone who used to be a star and now dances for their dinner, and Miley…oh, Miley.)

See you on the wards, people.

21. Cindy Mendez says:

I have loved the show since S01 and thought that it really added that something extra to addicts that try to mix the business of addiction, personal life, work life and everything else together. I realize that as a drama about a very serious problem it has its funny moments as well. However this S05 was a very serious one and as a person that has dealt and helped addiction with family members and addiction I thought it to be irrational how throughout the how show she (jackie) was straight as an arrow for whole year and then bang decided like it was taking candy to fall off the wagon. So many of my family members who have dealt with this problem (my father included) have said that its a slow one day yes two weeks no type of deal. I personally did not like the way the ending of S05 went. Im looking forward to see what S06 provided perhaps a flash back were we as the viewers didn’t see her (jackie) slip up.

22. Genie says:

In the final shot of Season 5 finale was O’hara standing in the back. I Think that last scene was a dream Jackie was having. It’s obvious to me she will return to her old druggie ways!

23. Teresa says:

I have just started watching Nurse Jackie and really love it. It saddens me to hear about O’Hara leaving the show, even though I haven’t gotten there yet, I already miss her. I love all the characters, but they are all like Zoey’s gray scrubs in comparison to O’Hara’s colorful character. I will miss her shoes and purses and the way she dresses. Such class! I will also miss the friendship between her and Jackie.

24. Amy says:

Miss her waaaaaaay too much. I actually cried when she said she was going back to London! She is gorgeous, hysterical, and so, so sexy. Would love to meet her in person.

25. Amy says:

And by the way, they have now had two patients with spiders in their ears…….why did they do that??? And Eddie is a jerk. Why would he offer Jackie drugs?!?!?! Oh, and by the way, did I mention how hot o’hara is?????? My heart flutters every time I see her…..