Exclusive: NBC's Chicago Fire Spin-Off Drops Melissa Sagemiller, Adds Jesse Lee Soffer

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Chicago Fire Season 2 CastThere’s a shake-up underway at Chicago PD.

NBC’s Chicago Fire spin-off, which is set to premiere at midseason, has parted ways with leading lady Melissa Sagemiller, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Additionally, Jesse Lee Soffer — last seen on Fox’s short-lived Mob Doctor — on June 20 officially joined the cast as a series regular.

PHOTOS & VIDEO | Fall Preview: Your Guide to What’s New

Sagemiller’s character, CPD Detective Willhite, first appeared in Chicago Fire‘s penultimate Season 1 episode (aka Chicago PD‘s pilot).

Soffer’s character, a young police detective who grew up on the wrong side of the tracks, will be introduced on Chicago Fire via a short Season 2 arc, says Deadline.

Comments (28)

• They’ll probably kill her off. That way they can open big and have the first arc being looking for her killer(s). At least that’d what l’d hope for them to do.

Comment by JJC (@GizmoAries93) – June 13, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chicago PD is a procedural not a serialized crime drama like Justified.

Comment by George – June 13, 2013 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh goody. Another procedural is exactly what no one needs.

Comment by Manny – June 13, 2013 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Obviously not big names, since I thought both were women. So I guess it doesn’t really matter.

Comment by Carolyn – June 13, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No, that’s Sagemiller. They look a LOT alike, so I can see where you got confused.

Comment by Alison – June 13, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is eighth cast departure from the newly ordered series.

Comment by Babar – June 13, 2013 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Been a fan of Jesse since ATWT, and I’m really liking how he’s getting bigger role son primetime!

Comment by Dominique – June 13, 2013 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was hoping to find some fans of Jesse that knew him from ATWT’s. He’s fantastic and I’ll look forward to watching him.

Comment by Soapstef – June 14, 2013 01:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES!!! I loved him on ATWT and I was sorry I missed him on the Mob show, but it got cancelled before I knew he was even on it. I’m super excited to see him on my tv again!

Comment by Magically Suspicious – June 14, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope Chicago PD should replace Ironside (if it does get canceled) in the 10 p.m. Wednesday night time slot depending on when it will air during mid-season. IN DICK WOLF WE TRUST :-)

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – June 13, 2013 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m disappointed, I’m a fan of Melissa Sagemiller from the clearing, get over it, sleeper cell and raising the bar.

Comment by Adam – June 13, 2013 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was awful in Raising the Bar. I never felt sorry for her, even in the moments we were suppose to because she always played her like an opportunist without a soul.

Comment by dude – June 13, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I didn’t mind her in it, but I thought she was outshone by a reasonably strong ensemble that included some of my favourites like Mark-Paul Gosselar (in a role much better than in the awful F&B he is in now), J. August Richards, Jane Kaczmarek, Teddy Sears etc

Comment by Apples – October 18, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t even remember her in the episode.

Comment by Elyse – June 13, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was the female cop working with Jon Seda’s Antonio through most of the episode. I hope they cast another female cop.

Comment by Don J – June 13, 2013 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as they don’t fire / recast Kelly Blatz , Tania or Scott , it’s all good , for me.

Comment by Bass Drum – June 13, 2013 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL, this spin-off is gonna be an epic fail. And that’s coming from a fan of Chicago Fire.

Comment by Eli – June 13, 2013 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who cares? We don’t even know these characters yet! We’ve seen them ONCE. Not enough to get attached.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – June 13, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boo hiss to any show replacing female actors/characters with men.

What’s worse? Oh, I dunno. Storylines about lesbians who want to have babies and ask their best (male) friends to be sperm donors. Shows that poll readers about setting up lesbian characters with male romantic/sexual partners . . . . Oh, wait. This writing/producing crew has been there done that. I guess replacing Sagemiller with Soffer is part for the course . . . . .

Comment by DR – June 13, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get Scott Speedman on the phone stat!

Comment by Karoline – June 13, 2013 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s time for a name change…

Comment by Mac – June 13, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this might be one of those NBC DOA shows, like Save Me.

Comment by ABC – June 13, 2013 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She looks just like the other blonde on Chicago Fire. I’m done with the show after that dumbass finale. Too much crap- thought it was more General Hospital!

Comment by Pickle8182 – June 13, 2013 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jesse for Melissa? This a major step down.

Comment by John – June 13, 2013 11:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder why the let her go? I am going to watch but i doubt it wil be as good as chicago fire. no severide!

Comment by shadester – June 14, 2013 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Jesse so I’m good with this…

Comment by EWJ – June 14, 2013 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sparkling Continue

Comment by Cash Advance Loan – July 26, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ahh Sophia Bush…all I need to tune in. ;)

Comment by wulfman75 – January 7, 2014 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post