Pretty Little Liars Season 4: Toby's 'Soulful' Path, Ezria's 'Growing Pains' and Caleb's Send-Off

PLLS4Pretty Little Liars kicks off its fourth season tonight (ABC Family, 8/7c), and according to executive producer I. Marlene King, it’s a year of change and — more importantly — answers.

Is Alison alive? What (or who) was in that trunk? Is ‘A’ done with Toby? How will things wrap up for a Ravenswood-bound Caleb? All of these questions and more will be addressed in the upcoming run, which consists of a summer season, a Halloween special and another batch of episodes this winter.

TVLINE | Talk about Mona’s new place in the group. Is she a true Pretty Little Liar now?
Last we saw Mona, she was in the same boat — and car — as the Liars, and there’s a unique dynamic between them because they do need each other. Mona has a lot of answers that the Liars want, and Mona wants their protection as well. She feels like she’s a target now. But they’re also withholding information from each other, so no one is on the up-and-up. It continues to be a fun game that we’re playing with them.

RELATED | Pretty Little Liars Spin-Off Cast — Tyler Blackburn Joins Ravenswood

TVLINE | What kind of impact will the contents of that trunk have on the rest of the season?
There’s a twist on what or who is in the trunk that appears in the premiere episode and that will have a huge impact on the rest of the summer…Part of the mystery is who or what is responsible for what’s in the trunk.

TVLINE | In Mona’s absence, has Red Coat become the sole face of the ‘A’ team?
Who is Red Coat is another big mystery of the summer; the girls are trying to figure out, is Red Coat ‘A’? Is Red Coat Ali? Is Ali ‘A’? Is Ali alive? Is Ali dead? Those are all the questions that we will answer this season. A lot of answers come this summer. Some come in the Halloween episode, while some come in the winter, too.

TVLINE | Executive producer Oliver Goldstick recently told me that Toby will endure some pretty emotional stuff in Season 4.
‘A’ is not finished with Toby; ‘A’ feels that [he or she] can milk him for more. ‘A’ gets ahold of some information that involves the truth about why Toby’s mother passed away. He’s going to find out that what he was told was possibly wrong information. It leads him down a very soulful, soul-searching path.

TVLINE | What is the status of the newly-split ‘Ezria’?
They’re back to where they started; they’re looking at each other over the tops of students’ heads. Neither one of them wants to go back to where they started. They feel like they’re grown… They have growing pains with life as individuals and as a twosome.

RELATED | Pretty Little Liars Boss Previews ‘Juicy’ Season 4, a Major Mon’A’ Twist and More!

TVLINE | Does this mean some solo storylines for Ezra this season?
One of my favorite scenes in the show is when Ezra is sitting in his car and Spencer jumps in… [Laughs] It was so awkward and weird because even though Aria knows him so intimately, the others girls don’t. So, we have some fun this season with Ezra having little storylines with all the Pretty Little Liars and mentoring them in some ways. He’s being their teacher, but still being the guy who had a relationship with their best friend.

TVLINE | Where do things stand with Emily and Paige moving forward?
Paige and Emily have a very grounded story — ‘A’ is the instigator of the story, but it’s becoming a tale of two high school seniors in love and trying to figure out what their future holds. They’re planning where they’re going to go after they finally graduate from Rosewood High.

TVLINE | How quickly will Ravesnwood teasers be doled out in Season 4?
It’s very organic. The introduction of Ravenswood is a very seamless story point. It’s actually Toby and Spencer who first go to Ravenswood; they’re following a clue that they hope will take them to the ‘Is Ali dead or alive?’ story. As a result, the Liars get sucked into the world of Ravenswood as well. It will end really organically and in this beautiful, organic, Casablanca moment between Hanna and Caleb. Even the actors are really embracing the way we decided to spin off that world. We’re hoping our fans will embrace it in the same way that Ashley Benson and Tyler Blackburn have.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Interviews, Previews

1. AZ says:

Ravesnwood (?!) will be the most organic thing in the history of organically organic organisms.

2. Gilda says:

Casablanca isn’t exactly the romantic ending a was dreaming of for those two…

3. I predict is Jason’s body in the police car’s trunk or someone or something else.

4. Deena says:

Every time fans are told we’re getting answers & we’ll be shocked, it’s always either not true or a letdown. This show is a guilty pleasure but I would like to not be so frustrated & disappointed all the time. Would like this season to be different an still not getting my hopes up.

5. Haydee says:

soooooooooo…… Caleb won’t be in PLL anymore?!

6. shuayb says:

I don’t understand why they are sending Caleb away. Their love story between Hannah and Caleb as been three seasons in the making and for it to just end like this… I hate this completely…

7. A says:

The direction they are taking Toby in is so lame. I liked it better when her was actually evil and not this awful, stereotypical undercover hero. Also, I refuse to believe anything this woman says because she and that other Oliver guy are the biggest “Liars” of them all. She needs to stop making promises that she doesn’t intend on keeping and stop giving answers with more questions. I will believe everything when the show finally ends and we get the entire story (that is if we actually do end up with the entire story and they can weasel their way out of all the plot holes and web of questions they’ve weaved). For now, I’m gonna sit back and watch, maybe enjoy the episodes or maybe wait to be disappointed. To sum up, this is one frustrating show!

• Kira says:

I second that. I also don’t like that they have no problem lying in interviews. King actually seems to think it’s amusing.

• AZ says:

I completely agree. Her saying, “answers will come this summer…answers will come in the halloween episode…answers will come in the winter” is basically a cop-out. The major problem with this show is that questions are answered with more questions. You can only do the run around for so long before the viewers get tired.

• dude says:

But this will be the “season of answers” we’ll find out who that person is that might have brushed past A once and what brand of lipgloss Aria prefers when macking on authority figures and Emily’s views on birth control and what ring tone A uses when she/he has to make an A-call on her/his A-phone. There will be literally SO many answers, you just won’t care/have asked for any of them.

8. B.Sidney says:

Lol LIAR, please stop believing her. she just blabs fu**ing lies , to attract you.
    Shut already Marlene aka “Mona is not A” and “Toby is definitely evil” .
    Do not trust her

9. Pretty Little Liars is going nowhere until it get’s serious about revealing why these four teenage girls are so hated and deserving of such intricate revenge that an organization of teens and adults alike has come together with the sole purpose of ruining their lives. An organization that has spent thousands of dollars, broken countless laws, murdered and attempted to murder several people. They keep trying to distract the audience with Who? and How? but those things don’t matter. What does is why the Liars are being subjected to this? I know it’s just a teen “guilty pleasure” soap but even those have to give answers once in a while or even just attempt them. The fact that the show’s not even attempted an answer leads me to believe the writers don’t know the answer any more than we do.

• tripoli says:

You make some great points. I always found it odd that the extreme hatred that seems to surround a group of teenage girls was never really expanded upon. Sure, they’ve done some not so nice things in the past, but there are so many people involved with trying to get revenge that there must be something bigger than teenage behaviour behind it. Doubt we’ll ever get much though. As most have already said, this show loves to tease big reveals and getting some answers, but always falls short, or provides some resolution that’s buried in a thousand mysterious layers.

• dude says:

Um, because like Allison was like REALLY mean.

10. Azerty says:

I can’t wait to see it and still I am pretty sure I will be piss of because of the lack of revelation. We were supposed to know who Red Coat was in S3 finale. And now that Caleb leaves…he was the most interesting dude in the show, watching Ezra teaching the girls and looking Arya with sad puppy eyes was not what I expected for an interesting season.

11. Rook says:

Can Ezria just be over. So tired of it.

12. gabby says:

I’m not happy about Caleb leaving, he’s one of my favorite character’s on the show and I love him and Hanna. I think it’s a bad idea. And i’d actually like some answers about stuff. seasons in and we still know nothing, all the “answers” we get end up being false alarms. Why are the girls hated so much? just give us some actual answers for once cause I’m starting to lose interest.

13. Danielle says:

I initially read the title as “Toby’s soul patch” and got minimally excited at the chance to laugh at him. I’m a but disappointed now.

14. Radha says:

I hate that they are ruining Caleb and Hanna and you’re right. Caleb is the most interesting guy on the show. I have never liked Ezria and once they revealed that Toby is “undercover” I just thought that was a cop-out. They meant to make him evil and we were subjected to a whole season of Spencer losing her freaking mind over it–only to find out he’s not evil. Um what? COP. OUT.

15. cas says:

I liked Toby not being evil, yes I think it was dumb she said he was and then backed out, she should have just not said anything. I just like Toby and Spencer. I also like Caleb, and I think the only reason they are taking him to the other show is because they want to attract viewers. I think they are answering some things, just slowly. But I will agree, the only thing I want to know, is why so many people hate these teenage girls. Yes we have seen reasons about Alison, but what about the rest? And really even Alison, why are grown adults allowing her to affect their lives that much?

16. Promi says:

I honestly think that Hanna and Caleb are the best in terms of couples wise. I nearly died when Caleb left the first time, and now he’s leaving to a new show.

It just makes me sad. And you guys are all right this show just bring you in only to put you through a complete run around, and at first it was what made the show interesting but now it’s just getting annoying.

I just hope Caleb makes Ravenswood just as interesting as he made Pretty Little liars.