TCA Awards 2013: The Americans, Breaking Bad Lead Nominees; Orphan Black Scores Twin Nods

Television Critics Association Award Nominees 2013FX’s The Americans is spying no less than four nominations — including Program of the Year and best new drama — for this year’s Television Critics Association Awards, to be handed out Aug. 3 in Beverly Hills.

AMC’s Breaking Bad follows with three total nods, while HBO’s Game of Thrones and BBC America’s Orphan Black each landed in two races.

On the comedy side, it’s a tighter contest, as four shows — NBC’s Parks and Recreation and Fox’s New Girl included — netted two noms each.

The TCA Awards are not to be confused with the Critics Choice Awards, which are being presented tonight in Beverly Hills (and streamed live) by the Broadcast Television Journalist Association. Here’s the full list of nominees (* denotes 2012 winner).

PROGRAM OF THE YEAR
The Americans, FX
Breaking Bad, AMC
Game of Thrones, HBO
House of Cards, Netflix
The Walking Dead, AMC

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA
The Americans, FX
Breaking Bad, AMC
Game of Thrones, HBO
Homeland, Showtime
Mad Men, AMC*

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad (AMC)
Vera Farmiga, Bates Motel (A&E)
Tatiana Maslany, Orphan Black (BBC America)
Monica Potter, Parenthood (NBC)
Matthew Rhys, The Americans (FX)

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN COMEDY
The Big Bang Theory, CBS
Louie, FX
New Girl, Fox
Park and Recreation, NBC
Veep, HBO

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN COMEDY
Louis C.K., Louie (FX)
Lena Dunham, Girls (HBO)
Jake Johnson, New Girl (Fox)
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep (HBO)
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation (NBC)

NEW PROGRAM

James L. Brooks
James Burrows
Jay Leno
William Shatner
Barbara Walters

1. DL says:

Woo, go Monica Potter and Tatiana Maslany!

2. Jenny says:

Tatiana Maslany all the way. No one else was even close

• yless says:

Completely agree! While I loved Farmiga in the surprising good Bates Motel. Maslany was the best performer on TV in many years (can’t remember better acting).Rectify and Top of the Lake are outstanding! Wish the EMMys were as good in recognizing excellency.

• Lois says:

Maslany was amazing in Orphan Black. It’s always exciting to discover a new talent, and to watch an brilliant actor at work. Maslany is going to be a superstar.

• Jacob says:

Maslany is not new talent, remember Ginger snaps 2? I agree with you, she is on her way to be a superstar. The Americans guy is good but a distant second.

• It says a lot about this TV season that there were a lot of outstanding performances… and I still agree with you completely. What Tatiana Maslany is doing on “Orphan Black” is at a whole other level.

3. S. from E. now says:

what was that rumour again? women can’t be funny? The TCA obviously disagree (;

4. Such horse-s. Rachel Nichols RUTSed Tatiana Maslany on Continuum this season, as in ran up the score. No House of Lies? No The Newsroom? No Don Cheadle?

5. Lecholls says:

Jake Johnson! Yes!!!

6. Columbus says:

Go Bunheads…and Matthew Rhys – love The Americans.

7. Bobby says:

Monica Potter and Tatiana Maslany yesss! So happy they’re getting recognized by these award shows (don’t let me down Emmy’s). Happy for all Breaking Bad noms, plus Vera Farmiga, Jake Johnson & The Mindy Project getting one as well. And as always, love that Parks/Amy Poehler’s nominated but can we start getting some wins?

8. CJ says:

One of the few times I’ve hardly disagreed with any of the nominations. A very satisfying list, to be sure.

9. Martha Brideau says:

Is. Monday mornings going to be renewed? It seems every new show I like gets cancelled. is. Breakout Kings, common law, etc…

10. Allan says:

TWIN PEAKS please!
    Vera Farmiga or Matthew Rhys? They just want to kill us all!

11. Monica Potter!! well done.

12. Warren says:

Wow am I like the only one who hated House of Cards because I couldn’t even finish the season it was so boring. I love me some slow burning legal fair (Damages is my favorite show to date) but House of Cards was awful for me.

• Laura says:

No, you’re not alone. I love politics/government-themed stuff (heck, I studied it in college), but the writing just felt *overly* dramatic and kind of silly in parts. Kevin Spacey’s character constantly breaking the fourth wall drove me nuts too. The cinematography was gorgeous, though.

• Keith says:

I made it all the way through House Of Cards,but it’s hard to like a show without one likable major character

13. Mellie says:

Happy to see Matthew Rhys on the list as well as The Americans. I love that show!

14. Rick C. says:

How the hell can RuPaul’s Drag Race get overlooked by every single award ceremony?? It’s THE most entertaining reality show on TV (especially among competition shows), and one of the overall best shows on TV period.

• Lisbeth Slander says:

Absolutely agree.

• Fran says:

As far as reality shows go it’s definately entertaining and should be recognized, I’ll give you that. But it’s nowhere near one of the best shows on TV.

• Mikael says:

It definitely should be recognized, especially sine reality tv is just garbage these days and Drag Race is breath of fresh air. I can’t believe people STILL watch Survivor and Amazing Race.

15. Et al. says:

I was scared Orphan Black would be ignored this award season as Sci-fi shows usually are. Glad to see the show and Tatiana are getting some of the attention they deserve.

16. Elizabeth says:

Parks may not be as down and out as people think it is for the Emmy’s

17. Eliza says:

Twin Peaks ♥

18. Two says:

If Tatiana Maslany doesn’t win it will be a shame. She played like 6 or 7 distinctly different characters on the same show. Scenes where the only people there were her, her, & her all interacting together.

• Yolanda says:

If they watched “Orphan Black” and they clearly did then she’s winning quite easily. Best performance by anyone this season. Go Maslany!

19. Jbkr73 says:

No love for Justified? Really? This season was fantastic…as good as or better than season 2. Wake up, critics.

20. Amanda says:

Tatiana yes!!! Orphan black is so addictive and good.

21. Morgan says:

I love that, with the exception of Cranston, the Indivual Achievement in Drama category is filled with first time nominees. It’s too bad the voting bodies here don’t overlap with the Emmys.

22. ruby says:

Orphan black!!!!so happy for Tatiana,hope orphan she wins!!

23. Abby says:

Great to see Bunheads nominated! I like and watch The Mindy Show but don’t think it should have been nominated.

24. Alex C says:

Happy to see Tatiana Maslany and Orphan Black get more recognition. Also great to see Bunheads continue to get recognized as well. Maybe ABC Family can renew it

25. James says:

I enjoy The Americans but I’m a little puzzled with all the nominations- I find Justified a much better show.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I’ve never seen The Americans, but I’m so sad Justified was omitted from all these categories. What a great show that is.

• Shaun says:

Justified on a downhill slope.The Americans about 2x better right now.

• James says:

Oh I completely disagree. Sure not every season can be as great as say, Season 1 and 2- but it’s still pretty darn great. It’s easy to say The Americans is better right now, it’s the 1st season. I’ll see how it holds up over numerous seasons. To me Justified continues to bring it.

26. Meredith says:

You know when Dr. Who is so shocked he’ll say “What?” three times over…I literally did that when I saw The Glee Project was nominated…

27. Pixley says:

The TCA needs to explain how Downton Abbey, which broadcast nine episodes this year, can be a Miniseries, but Game of Thrones, which broadcast 10 episodes, can be a drama. Especially since Downton was a drama series last year… New math?

• Stella says:

I have the same question as you. It seems like Downton Abbey is considered whatever is considered according to what is more convenient to get nominations…

28. Britta Unfiltered says:

Thanks for the link to the Critics Choice Awards. I actually didn’t realize those were different from the TCA Awards. Good to know. Now I can watch them tonight and be a cheerleader for all things Louie, Homeland, and Justified. Go David Lynch and Jim Beaver!!

29. Adam says:

Extremely happy for Tatiana Maslany, Vera Farmiga, Orphan Black, Veep and Lost nominations. Actually, this is a very solid list, I like pretty much everything in it, except The Glee Project.

30. DavidSask says:

I don’t get all the love for the Americans, hope it wins nothing, Orphan Black is the best nice to see nominated but will never get cred from the snobs at awards. Reality show should go to Shark Tank as it is reality as opposed to other fakes with it and Glee Project, WTF?

31. angelwings says:

I’m glad that I’m not only one who doesn’t v like The Americans. I watched the first 4 episodes and was not impressed at all.

I also still can’t fathom how/why the cast of Sons of Anarchy is overlooked every year.

32. Linderella says:

Tatiana Maslany for the win!

33. Amy says:

So excited for jake Johnson & Monica Potter. And Amy Poehler as always. They are all brilliant.

34. R says:

So thrilled for Jake Johnson, New Girl, and Monica Potter. FINALLY, everyone has stopped with all the “OMG Modern Family is the BEST SHOW EVER” bandwagon. Seriously, I love the show too, but there are so many BETTER shows and actors out there.

35. Kenn says:

I watched and enjoyed the whole season of Orphan Black. Tatiana Maslany FOR THE WIN!

36. Still Terry says:

I wish someone in Hollywood could explain to me why Justified and in particular, Walton Goggins are ignored. It baffles me.

37. the link is saying its offline, so when is the awards actually going to happen? can someone send the correct link? because the link talks about the Critics Choice Awards which was already conducted by Retta

38. Ava says:

Missing The Blacklist and James Spader. Both deserved noms IMHO. Spader’s performance is riveting.