Ratings: Tonys Rebound from All-Time Low, Thrones Rises With Finale, Falling Skies Steady

Get More: Awards, News, Ratings

FallingSkies_Season3_CochiseCBS’ broadcast of the 67th annual Tony Awards on Sunday night delivered 7.24 million total viewers while scoring a 1.2 rating in the coveted 18-49 demo, rising 20 percent from last year’s all-time lows.

The kudoscast also netted its largest audience since 2009.

VIDEO | Tony Awards’ Cancelled TV Show Number Brings Out Stars of Smash, New Normal, Go On

That demo rating ranked third amongst Sunday’s broadcast offerings, distantly trailing ABC’s coverage of the NBA Finals Game 2 and NBC’s America’s Got Talent repeat.

VIDEO | Watch (and Grade) Neil Patrick Harris’ Tony Awards Opening

Due to the NBA contest’s live nature, overnight numbers worth reporting are not yet available, though at first blush Game 2 appears down about 20 percent from a year ago’s Heat-Thunder match-up.

UPDATE: The Game of Thrones Season 3 finale drew 5.4 million total viewers, ticking up 4 percent from the Red Wedding and up 28 percent from the Season 2 closer, yet falling shy of the HBO fantasy series’ all-time record of 5.5 mil (set on May 5)…. TNT’s Falling Skies opened Season 3 with 4.2 million total viewers, dipping 7 percent from Season 2′s premiere. In 18-49, the sci-fi drama drew 1.9 mil, up a smidgen from a year ago.

Comments (13)

• What about Game of Thrones??

Comment by Hurley – June 10, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cable ratings take longer to come in.

Comment by TV Gord – June 10, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this makes me so happy!! the show was really strong this year, and NPH was top notch.

Comment by Margaret – June 10, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Tony Awards were excellent! Very entertaining and NPH hit it out of the park again. Two complaints (there have to be a few, right?): I’m not a fan of “Phantom of the Opera” and the 25-year tribute was a time waster for me, and I noticed that two of the most popular Broadway shows (“Wicked” and “The Book of Mormon”) were not used in the whole “we’ve invited the casts from current shows to introduce new shows to you” concept. I wondered why those two shows weren’t participating in the broadcast.

Comment by dan – June 10, 2013 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • that’s such a good point!!

Comment by Maggie – June 10, 2013 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I love watching the Tonys, I find it hard to get motivated to watch since I will never have the opportunity to see the shows in person! Middle America misses out and I think that is why viewership trends lower for this show.

Comment by Julie – June 10, 2013 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Talk shows from Letterman to Katie Couric have performances from Broadway shows all the time. I think that’s how a lot of people get a flavor of what’s out there.

Comment by TV Gord – June 10, 2013 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Many Broadway shows are available on DVD from your local library. I’m not talking about movies based on Broadway shows, but taped live performances on stage. I’d recommend stating with Into The Woods, Bernadette Peters is superb in it.

Comment by lyn – June 10, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ummm, that’s why there are touring shows. You don’t live out in the middle of a corn field, do you?

Comment by TL – June 10, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It would be pretty hard to get to one if a person lived somewhere like Dickinson, North Dakota.

Comment by lyn – June 10, 2013 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would have LOVED To watch ALL of the Tony’s, but CBS Atlanta decided it was more important to show the news. Thanks.

Comment by DreamRose311 – June 10, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely enjoyed the return of Falling Skies and The Killing continued to impress. Sundays will be happy TV time for at least a couple of months.

Comment by Linderella – June 10, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed, actually, I think summer TV is as compelling as fall TV. I am so glad the networks have competition from cable stations. Remember back in the day when the only thing on in the summer were reruns? 95% of my summer viewing is now from basic and pay cable. The only summer programming I watch on network TV is SYTYCD, Unforgetable, and Rookie Blue.

Comment by Mel – June 11, 2013 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post