Awkward's Beau Mirchoff on Matty and Jenna's Relationship Woes, the Collin Factor and More

Awkward Season 3 Finale SpoilersGet ready for some possible Awkward heartbreak.

Jenna finally got the hunk of her dreams this season, but her relationship with Matty has been far from perfect. And now that she’s found herself in a flirtation with classmate Collin, Tuesday’s midseason finale (MTV, 10/9c) promises to be very dramatic.

So, will Jenna and Matty’s love survive? Will her boyfriend ever clue in to her wandering eye? TVLine went to his portrayer, Beau Mirchoff, to get answers about his character’s rocky romance with Ms. Hamilton.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled?

TVLINE | It really has been a great season for Matty in terms of them giving your character more of an inner emotional life. What’s been your favorite part about his journey this year?
There’s been a lot of favorites for me. It’s actually been a great experience. First off, it’s nice to see the evolution of Matty. The first few seasons, he was still pretty immature in figuring himself out as a young man. And now there’s a lot of chaos going on in his life, but he’s able to deal with it in a mature way. That’s been fun to play. And also, it’s fun to do the emotional scenes. Like when I read that in the script, I go, “Oh, yes!” and I get excited.

TVLINE | The scene in the bathroom when Jenna sees you crying was so good. When you got that, was that a little bit scary, knowing you have to go to that place?
No, not scary, especially when they just open the door on me and then I’m crying. You can prep however you need to. But yeah, it definitely takes concentration. I guess it’s a little daunting because it takes energy and you get in a little funk and a little bit of a mood.

TVLINE | Without giving too much away about Tuesday’s finale, I love that your character brings up the family issue again.
Me, too. I definitely do. I don’t think he would have brought it up last season. Matty is honest about how he feels and he lays it on the table and says that Jenna is not fulfilling his needs the way Matty fulfills hers. [It's] a beautiful moment for the two of them.

TVLINE | That scene was just so long overdue.
[Laughs] Yeah, absolutely. Sometimes, it just feels like there’s just a lot of misleading or they’re just not on the same page. And finally they kind of get on the same page.

RELATED | Scream TV Series Gets Pilot Order at MTV

TVLINE | I have to be honest with you: I feel like Matty loves Jenna more than she loves him.
Yeah, you might be right there. I don’t know if I can say you’re wrong at least at this point in time. Maybe she still loves Matty, but something’s amiss. She’s growing up, too, and she’s figuring herself out. If that means she has to kind of experience other [laughs] things in life to realize that Matty is the right one for her, then that’s what she has to do.

TVLINE | From the first episode this season, she sort of started to sabotage the great thing that she has with him.
Yeah, a little bit. Matty’s a little bit oblivious to it. He sees the best in everyone. And now that you mention it, yeah, possibly. I don’t think she’s cognizant of it though. But it does seem like that, doesn’t it?

TVLINE | What does the midseason finale hold for them as a couple?
They go through a large event together, the whole crew does. Something goes wrong, and they might not be able to… Who knows if they’ll be able to stay together after it? I’m not saying what happens or who’s at fault, but they’re both going to have to take a look at their relationship and see if it’s what they really want to do.

Awkward Season 3Finale SpoilersTVLINE | So far, Matty’s been pretty oblivious to what’s been going on between Jenna and Collin. Is that going to change?
I think it will change a little bit. The signs have been prevalent, and I don’t know how long… [Laughs] It’s right in front of Matty’s face, and he hasn’t been able to pick up on it. I hope he does. I think most people would pick up on it. [Laughs] So yes, I would say he does eventually.

TVLINE | Why do you think he hasn’t?
He’s in love. He has no reason to suspect any deceitfulness going on. It’s his first real relationship. And why would he be the jealous type? He has no reason to be. He only thinks the best of Jenna. So that’s why he thinks Collin’s a good guy, and he’s smart, and he’s different, and he’s a good friend to Jenna.

TVLINE | At this point, do you still think Matty and Jenna belong together? Are you rooting for them?
Yeah, I’m kind of rooting for them. I mean, Jenna’s got to get her act together, honestly, because Matty doesn’t deserve someone who’s not completely committed to him. So unless she can promise that and honestly do that, then Matty’s got to find another love.

TVLINE | That moment in the car when she asks him what he likes about her, and he gives her this really genuine, thoughtful answer, and she can’t come up with one, that was so telling.
[Laughs] I haven’t seen it yet. I obviously know the scene. There’s a lot of hints, but they’re not very subtle. You can pick up on them. Maybe Jenna’s heart’s not in it right now. And that’s sad, but that happens. People fall out of love.

1. “Why do you think he hasn’t?
    He’s in love. He has no reason to suspect any deceitfulness going on.”

Aww man my heart breaks for him

2. iMember says:

Can’t wait to see the episode tomorrow.this season has been a lot of fun so far. I love Jenna, but she’s got to get herself together. That’s so truthful to a teenage girl though which is what makes this show so genuine.

3. dude says:

Jenna is pissing me off. Matty is basically the perfect boyfriend and she’s treating him like crap.

• Rachel says:

I disagree that Matty is the perfect boyfriend. Yes, he’s cute and kind and sweet, but he doesn’t challenge her intellectually, and even more wrong is the fact that he has shown no interest in her writing. A huge part of Jenna’s identity is that she is a deep thinker, now becoming a writer, so Matty not showing interest in her writing indicates he’s disconnected or unaware of the main aspect of who she is (or who she is becoming).

I thought Awkward showed this evolution of Jenna’s so well — and it has really illustrated that a physical connection isn’t enough, you need a mental connection as well. So it’s surprising to see people hating on Jenna or still thinking she belongs with Matty, or thinking that Matty is too good for her because he’s “hotter” than her — focusing on the superficial relationship stuff rather than seeing Jenna discovering and growing into her personality, which I think is what the show is really all about.

So yeah, sorry, I don’t think Matty’s endgame. Not unless he gains some depth to match Jenna’s pretty quickly.

• Stacy says:

I could not agree with you more. You said that better than I could!

• Where is the reply that I originally posted and why is it not showing up?

• Wooster182 says:

I disagree that he’s disinterested. He didn’t read her blog in my opinion because it was her personal journal. He was the only person with enough respect for her not to read it and she gets offended!

Secondly, he was excited about going to support her at the reading and she told him she didn’t want him there. And when he respected her wishes, she gets offended that he didn’t drop his plans with Jake when she texted him to come running. So she hangs out with Colin!

Thirdly, maybe he doesn’t want to read about their first sexual encounter after every class period and in front of everyone. He’s clearly private about personal stuff and she never asks him if its ok for her to broadcast it first. And when he read her first time paper, he made that night for her. I would call that interested.

Lastly, why should he care about her writing? She obviously could care less about what happens to him or she would have asked about his family.

Marty isn’t the brightest guy but he’s loyal and sincere. I don’t get either characteristic from Colin who does intellectually stimulate her. My point is that she’s leaving a good guy for a wolf in sheep’s clothing. She’s not Jane Austen. She’s Lydia Bennett.

• Octavia Austin says:

I honestly don’t think that Matty is the perfect boyfriend. I mean yes ever since the season has started she has been kind on the fence about the relationship and she has every right to be. I mean when she wanted to be fully committed to Matty in the beginning he wanted nothing to do with her. It was only when she got with Jake did his true feelings come out. I believe that he does care about Jenna a lot but Jenna is still not 100% sure of what Matty wants. All first season and second season he played with her emotions and used her. Then his sitting there trying to make amends for how he was acting. After all that I wouldn’t wanna deal with it either. Also Collin saw right off the bat what kinda person Jenna truly was. I bet he heard things about her but yet he still chose to take interest to her. He is on the same page as her whether they know it or not. He challenges her to find out who she is and if the person she is now is who she wants to be. I think that Jenna is finding out who she is and that’s something that Matty isn’t helping her to do. She changed for him so that he would no longer be embarrassed and now everyone is mad at her because she is trying to get back on the path of who she wants to be. So in my opinion Matty wasn’t anywhere near a perfect boyfriend, if anything he is holding her back and Collins is pushing her forward…

• nancy says:

They are a lot of agreements and diaagrements about this show. I would say, based off on the show that Octavia Austin has made a point.Even though Matty was her first, she is still figuring out herself and what she seeks.Therefore, being with Collin may be the best solution.They actually connect really well and it didn’t take him long to figure out that Jenna is still defining herself.

• kbrasp says:

You nailed it. Agree 100% with everything you wrote.

I would like to add though that, in my opinion, there´s one thing Matty is not doing right: as a boyfriend he´s been catering to every single one of Jenna´s wishes and by doing that he is annuling his own personality. That´s most likely the reason why he no longer represents a challenge for Jenna. But is also easy to understand why he´s been doing that. Last time he made a “wrong move” he lost Jenna for Jake, and now he´s just afraid that if he does something wrong or disapoints her at any level, he´ll lose her again. It could also be the reason why he´s been piling up inside all of his most recent frustrations with Jenna. At some point that stuff comes out, and it may be ugly if it´s all at once.

4. jo says:

This whole season sucks. I thought the writers or whoever weren’t going to do this AGAIN. So annoying either they breakup for good or stay together ps I hate Colin. Terrible acting. And we need more jake this season. Geez

• Brian says:

Not that Nolan Funk (Colin) is a fantastic actor, but why would you want to see more of Brett Davern (Jake)? He is not only an annoying character, but also an over-actor…

Having said that, I agree that the writers have dropped the ball this season. Come up with a new storyline. We’ve seen the Ross and Rachel ‘will they or won’t they?’ storyline a hundred times before. The first season of this show was so fresh and new. Season two was decent as well. I feel like the writers are losing steam…

5. Ella says:

This season has sucked. I went very quickly from loving these two as a pairing to wanting Matty as far away from Jenna as possible. She is annoying and self-sobotaging and he deserves better.

6. Azerty says:

For two seasons I tought Jenna deserved better than Matty and this year I think it is the other way around. Seriously Jenna is terrible this season. I don’t know if the writers want us to hate Jenna or if it is the acting of Ashley Rickards who seems very distant from the rest of the cast or something else…But they need to do something for the season 3B, that’s not the refreshing and funny show it used to be.

7. ali says:

this show is still packing the regular punch it always did…people just don’t like change…it’s different this season but it’s still awesome! the writers gave us 2 seasons of thinking matty was a selfish jerk and now it’s jenna’s turn…you can’t love and hate the same characters all the time, they all need their moment…i figure when you love a show so much you hate it and can’t wait to watch it but don’t want to watch it all at the same time they’ve done a good job! i love the evolution of each character figuring themselves out, and no couple in high school (or beyond) is happy all the time…it’s high school, most people date dozens of other people and go back and forth all the time…matty and jenna will obviously be end game! not to mention, no matter how mad or sad tonight will be, ming as head of the asian mafia makes it all better!

8. RichieS says:

Does anyone know if Ashley Rickards is related to Emily Rickards ( Arrow ) ? If so, that’s one talented family.

9. Anna says:

Jenna is so annoying. I think Matty deserves better! And the Colin guy is the worst….ugh….worst character of this season.

10. True says:

I just started to watch Awkward. I saw an episode like a week ago and watch some of the Marathon on Sunday. Anyway I really didn’t like end ending of Season 2. I mean they just seem to sweep the relationship with Jenna and Jake’s under the rug and he was okay with it. That didn’t really make sense and then for him to go into another relationship that fast? Did Jenna feeling for Colin just seem to pop up all of the sudden or has it been building? I’m not quite caught up in the middle but I saw the coffee house fall in love with him episode

11. Chickie says:

Season 1 was absolutely brilliant! Got me hooked right from the first episode!!! And season 2 was also great! I agree, though, that the way they handled Jenna’s choice between Jake and Matty could’ve been dealt with a bit better… They let Jake accept the decision too easily, and for him to move on so quickly – after being in love with Jenna – was quite ridiculous.
    Season 3 is ok’ish – I like how they develop Matty and Jenna’s relationship. Well, until Colin comes into the mix, that is. And I understand each season will be different, and each character will change, but I don’t like who Jenna’s becoming. She’s totally discarding Matty’s feelings, and becoming a cheater! The exact opposite of what she’s been so far. And I don’t like it.

12. I’m probably too old to be watching this show, but I saw it once and got hooked. First of all, I get that we want to see how certain situations progress (e.g. Ming and the Asian mafia) but I think the writers need to introduce some new themes because it’s feeling recycled and stale to me. And since when did Tamara become one of the bitchy girls? Does she really fit as a Sadie stand-in? I also realize that we’re talking about teenagers and that Jenna has to ‘find herself’, but since when did finding yourself mean compromising your principles and acting like a self-entitled douchebag? That kind of behavior in a main character adds interest but can only go on so long before it turns people off. This show used to be quirky and fun to watch. Now it’s just one big frustration.

13. Me says:

I think Matty is Jenna’s anonymous friend on her blog. He’s definitely read it, he’s just respectful. They’re her thoughts &&feelings, it’s not anything for him to truly have an opinion on. He just encourages her. Matty may have not been the best at first &&that could’ve caused this new lost interest in Jenna because there’s something about that spark of having a crush that sort if dies down once you get what you want. Collin is definitely temporary though, they don’t mesh well. He’s another Jake. If Matty truly loves Jenna their relationship won’t ever end. I hope he stops letting her walk all over him though, they need to be equal not one superior to the other. So whether or not she breaks up with Matty this upcoming season by the time senior year/prom/graduation comes around that’s who she will be with. Unfortunately after that idk how the show would continue lol they should def figure that out.

14. Aishah Mason says:

I’ve always been Team Matty since the first season. Although Matty had 99 problems and then some, he has always pulled through for Jenna. In season 3, Jenna is trying to find herself, while Matty evolved from his imperfections from season 1 & 2 to become a mature, confident, and reliable boyfriend (ex boyfriend now). Through Matty’s embarrassment of Jenna, he always liked her and always wanted the best for her and still does. With or without Matty, she is just as insecure with Collin. She felt that she had to sleep with him to keep him interested….And on that note, before Jenna and Collin had sex, why was he texting someone…..The old saying, “The grass is not always greener on the other side.” For once, Sadie said something memorable last episode, “karma is a b.” And all the “Team Collin,” I think he is nothing but a douche and I think there is nothing shady about him. Cheater or player, much?