Switched at Birth's Vanessa Marano on Bay's Boy Drama (Ty's Back!), Trading Places With Daphne

Switched at Birth Season 2 SpoilersAnd you thought Bay’s romantic life on Switched at Birth was complicated before

When the ABC Family series returns for Season 2B on Monday (at 8/7c), the brunette will run into an unexpected, but familiar, face: her ex-boyfriend Ty (The Lying Game‘s Blair Redford)!

But that’s not all Bay’s got shakin’. Below,  portrayer Vanessa Marano previews her character’s new living situation, her damaged relationship with Daphne and an “amazing” “What If?” episode.

VIDEO | Switched at Birth Season 2 Spoilers — Kathryn and Nikki Argue

TVLINE | What’s different in Bay’s life when the new season starts?
Oh, a lot of things are different. We’re picking up in the summer. We’ve never gotten a chance to see the girls outside of school. So she is working a summer job at an amusement park called Maui, Kansas, which involves a lot of Hawaii-themed wardrobe, let me tell you. And this season, we get to see Daphne living with the Kennishes and Bay living with Regina and Angelo. So we’re getting a glimpse at what life would have been like had they all been living together, and it’s not exactly the happy, picture-perfect image that they had all expected.

TVLINE | What drives her to go live with Regina and Angelo?
Regina’s returned from rehab, so a lot of things have changed. The relationship between Regina and Daphne is very damaged at this point, and that’s a very new thing because that was the strongest bond in our show. So Daphne’s been leaning a little bit more on the Kennishes, which is a little bit weird because they’re so not the mentality that she was raised with. So Bay is finally at a point where [she's thinking], “OK, if Daphne is literally living with us and getting all of your free time, then why doesn’t my real mom want to get to know me?” And she finally confronts Regina, which has been a long time coming… And Angelo’s over the moon because he thinks that finally everything’s coming up roses, and it’s the way that it’s supposed to be. He’s filled with all this excitement about trying to find his other daughter. So it’s kind of a new beginning for them. But it can’t really be a fresh start when so much has happened already, you know? Like, as much as you want it to be a clean beginning, so much has happened.

TVLINE | I find it really interesting that the girls are kind of switching places, because there’s a “What If?” episode coming up, too.
[It] is a really awesome episode. I was a little freaked out when I heard about it. I was like, “Oh, I wonder how that’s going to go,” and it was amazing. It was terrifically written by two of our writers, Chad [Fiveash] and James [Patrick Stoteraux], and David Paymer directed it. It’s really awesome. I’m super excited for everybody to see it. Basically, the episode is, what if Regina hadn’t kept the secret about the switch and everybody had found out when the girls were 3 years old? How different would life have been?

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled?

TVLINE | Most of last season, Bay and Daphne were in a really good place. But then, of course, the Noah drama happened. Is their relationship now in a worse place than ever?
It’s pretty rough [at] the beginning of the season… but Ty returns, and he was like a brother figure to Daphne. So though they’re in a really tough place, he’s come back from war and he’s in a really bad place. There’s only one person that Bay can really lean on to help her out in that situation when it comes to a boy.

TVLINE | How long is he around for?
He’s in this season quite a bit. And it’s a refreshing change because with all the new guys that we have coming into the show — and we do have a love interest for Daphne, who’s pretty awesome, coming in — this is the first one that we’ve had return. It’s really cool to play that because it brings us back to a place of where we started. And the little moments of all that first season excitement where we were establishing our characters is reignited with the return of a character.

TVLINE | Do Ty and Bay pick up where they left off? Or is it more of a, “Let’s just focus on being friends for now” situation?
They want to pick up where they left off, but he is coming back from war, so that’s a little tough. And she’s coming back from Emmett and like three other boyfriends after that and going to the deaf school and Zarra and almost running away to Mexico. A lot has changed for both of them. So it’s a big question of, is a relationship strong enough to withstand all that change and still be exactly the way that it felt when you first met?

TVLINE |  Since you brought up Emmett, what does Ty’s return mean for her relationship with Emmett?
It left off pretty badly last season with the whole Noah-and-Daphne-are-together [situation], and Bay being in denial about that and Emmett not really having a right to say anything because he cheated on Bay, too. [Laughs] Worse, he even slept with a girl. They just can’t seem to get a guy to not cheat on her. [Laughs] So she will just be happy if Ty doesn’t have another lady around the corner. [Laughs] So they left off in a rough place.

TVLINE | Is Emmett giving Bay her space? He’s not really pursuing her as strongly as he was before?
Yes… They did have a moment where it was like, “You need to give me my space,” and he’s actually listening now.

1. GS says:

I cannot wait for it to come back! It’s such a great show. Love the characters and the dynamics between them. So much better than Secret Life that only talked about sex and having babies for 5 years and ended horribly!

• mo says:

I’m soooo glad I’m not the only one who feels that way! Secret Life could have been ok, but it was waaaaay too “she has a baby! I want a baby” and, “let me get pregnant to keep my boyfriend” for me to seriously get into. I gave up reeeeaaaaallllly quickly. SAB is so much better!

• GS says:

Unfortunately, I stuck with it and it got worse. Was really hoping for an ending that showed Amy being mature and choosing to stay with Ricky and their son. Instead, she appeared to be a selfish bitch that left them both to go off to college in NY presumably to be with Ben. Worst series finale EVER! Makes me regret ever watching the stupid show and I’m 41!! If teens are really like this, I’ll beat mine to a pulp before he can graduate!

• Jules says:

Same here, stuck with it till the end, but constantly thinking, “oh my god, she has a child, but she behaves like a little teenaged spoiled bitch.” Seriously, she has a 3 year old son and runs out on her baby daddy/fiance (who’s been so good to her lately) to go to New York… reminded me of somewhere earlier in the series after she had John, just expecting everything goes on just like before…. I just wanted to shake her and yell at her “you brought a human being into this world, take care of it!!”…

• joyce lee says:

Most are well sorta most try and be discrete about their sex lives.

2. Sheila says:

I hope Daphne’s new guy is age appropriate. The thing with Chef Jeff got weird quickly.

3. Mel says:

ABC Family has had surprisingly great programming for a couple of years now. Family oriented obviously, but really good. However, I still have trouble forgiving the cancellations of Greek, 10 Things I Hate About you, and yes, even Kyle XY.

• Lauren says:

Still bitter about 10 Things and Kyle XY. They had so many unresolved storylines, and I loved both of them. I loved Greek too but I felt like it got a proper ending so I’m not as sad about that one, even though I miss it.

4. kiks says:

Since Blair Redford sticks around for a while in Switched at Birth, does this dim the possibilities of a renewal for The Lying Game? I really enjoy both shows and they are among the best for the network.

5. mia says:

So excited!!!! Bay is my favourite character, so I’m excited to see her confront Regina about the whole thing. And glad to see Ty return, should be some great drama. And the Bay/Emmett/Ty woot!!

6. Jared says:

Happy to see Blair Redford back on TV. Loved the character of Ty in the first season. I’m a HUGE Lying Game fan but at this point im not holding my breath for a renewal. Its ashame because it was one of the best series on ABCFamily.

7. Brandy says:

I agree SAB is one of abcfamily best shows and one of my favorite shows on that network.I also love PLL.I like Bunheads,Lying Game.I loved Jane By Design,Make it or Break it,Nine Lives of Chloe King,.Couldnt get into SL though I tried for a few episodes.I wish Jane, Chloe got proper endings.MIoBI was good enough, though I would’ve liked to see who took home what in London.Wish they’d hurry up with the Chloe King movie and that they’d release Bunheads,Chloe King,Lying Game on DVD.

8. kay says:

i miss bay/emmett.

i wonder if they will ever work it out.

• nobody special says:

if anybody who has a say listens or cares, I WANT BAY AND EMMETT!!

• Sam says:

Bay and Emmett really do need to get back together. He’s learned his lesson, and he will never do anything to hurt her again. They were by far the best couple on this show.

9. With Blair Redford back on Switched at Birth, ABC Family still has no word on the status of The Lying Game. Also, is Annie Ilonzeh officially done with the show and is she continuing her stint on Arrow?

• catalina says:

No decision has been made on The Lying Game. I’m not sure if Annie Ilonzehwill be back as Lana on SAB. She’s recurring on Drop Dead Diva this summer. I don’t know if she’ll be able to do both shows.

10. Lorena says:

I like Ty, i really do, but i love more Bay and Emmet, besides, Ty needs to go back to Arizona ASAP, i need my Lying Game guys

11. wednesday says:

Have they said when they will be making an announcement if The Lying Game will be renewed. I don’t watch Switched at Birth. I only clicked on here when I saw Blair’s name so now that I’ve read that he’s going to be on here for awhile this has me really concerned. I mean I’m happy for him that he’s employed because I don’t think it’s right for ABC Family to hold out like this & expect all the actors to sit around & wait just so they can see how some of these summer shows do in the ratings! I’m boycotting that on principle alone if it helps get my show back! TLG is one of the best on the network. I hope it gets renewed.

12. TygTag says:

I’m excited for the “What If” episode and although I’d LOVE to see Bay and Ty become really close friends, I want Bay and Emmett to figure it out and get back together!

13. A says:

New love interest for Daphne? Does that mean Noah won’t be around? I liked him. Happy to see Blair Redford on tv again and I hope we get news about The Lying Game at some point…

14. Stuppie says:

Okay I like Emmett together with Bay but he cheated on her like if u were her would u get back together with a jerk like that probably not so she is better off with Ty plus I like bay and Ty together. I guess I probably don’t see Emmett the same way I used to.

15. Firefly says:

I think everyone deserves a second chance and more over when they are truly repentant of their mistakes… So I believe Emmett and Bay deserve a second chance, they were perfect together, they complement each other, they help each other get through rough patches and they love each other. And besides they were the best couple on the series by far!!!! So please at some point we need to see them back together!!

• Kassandra says:

I agree Emmett and Bay had something special. They were the best couple yet. They were in love and they cared for each other I really want Bay and Emmett back together please!

16. Kassandra says:

I Really wanted Emmett and Bay back together they were an amazing couple! I hope if there is any chance.

17. Kenzie says:

Bay and TY all the way!!! No Emmett, he needs to find another girl. I like Ty best and if they don’t end up together and stay together I’m going to be sooooo depressed!!

18. Jessica says:

I want emmett and bay to get back together.. Even though he cheated.. He still is a good guy to her always there for her n o know she still loves him!!!!

19. Amy says:

Count me in as another vote for Bay and Emmett. I was so happy to see the last few minutes of the mid-season finale in March. Bay and Emmett are perfect together and watching them interact is mesmerizing. I hope things continue to be happy for them. Forgiveness and second chances matter in this world, and they share something magical that is not easy to replace.

20. This blog was… how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I’ve found something which helped me.
    Thank you!