Friday Night Lights @ ATX Festival: Surprise Chandler/Britton Reunion Scores a Touchdown

Get More: News

Friday Night Lights Britton Chandelr ReunionEyes may have been clear, if a bit wet, and hearts were very full when the ATX Television Festival staged a surprise reunion of Friday Night Lights stars Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton — aka Coach and Mrs. Coach.

The inaugural ATX Festival in 2012 featured an FNL panel, but neither Britton nor Chandler could attend. This year’s RSVP list promised Scott Porter, Gaius Charles, Matt Lauria and Brad Leland — aka Jason, Smash, Luke and Buddy — as well as “special guests,” and when both Chandler and Britton (now a star of ABC’s Nashville) arrived on stage, the room erupted with cheers. (The ATX Television Festival’s Twitter feed posted a short Vine video of the moment — watch it here.)

Highlights from the panel included Chandler, visibly moved during the revisiting and discussion of memorable scenes on the theater’s screen, sharing, “I was lucky I could work with everyone” — to which Porter attested, “No, we were lucky.” Chandler also at one point, in relating an anecdote, referred to Porter as “Jason,” prompting his TV wife to correct him.

The first question of the panel came from FNL superfan Mae Whitman, who on Parenthood was romantically paired with Lauria’s war vet character.

Chandler and Britton’s surprise reunion moved fans both in attendance and “watching” from their Twitter feeds. Among the social media raves:

As for the Taylors themselves reuniting, on the big screen, all of the actors hand agreed that while the FNL players remain passionate about that prospect, there are no firm, specific plans in place at this time to do so.

Comments (14)

• Aw, you’re killing me here! I came so close to going to this thing but finally decided I didn’t have the funds. All these reports sound awesome.

And Mae Whitman – that’s just amazing. I’ve known who she was ever since she was on that episode of Early Edition. Look where they’ve ended up!

So now I’ll just sit here, trying to forget just how jealous I am of all the people who got to sit there.

Comment by dinosaur! – June 8, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If everyone at that event had actually watched the show, it would’ve gotten better ratings.

Comment by Martoukian – June 9, 2013 12:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Every episode of FNL made me cry from beginning to end. CLEAR EYES FULL HEARTS CAN’T LOSE

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – June 8, 2013 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t get that Vine segment to play.

Comment by Lisa – June 8, 2013 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Texas forever!

#bestshowever

Comment by Jared – June 8, 2013 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • coach and mrs coach….. this is literally the best thing ever.

Comment by Sina (@vodka_n_caviar) – June 8, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss this show so much! Clear eyes, full hearts…

Comment by jess k – June 8, 2013 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best Looking…Best Actor…Kyle Chandler! Kyle Chandler Fan Club on Facebook

Comment by Jayne Hasselroth – June 8, 2013 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • eric & tami taylor are reunited, y’all!

Comment by baglesvswaffles – June 8, 2013 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my gosh, there had better be a YouTube video of this panel ASAP!!! I love them all and so cute about Mae Whitman!

Comment by Amy – June 8, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel like if NBC revived this show right now, it would probably have better ratings than it did when it aired, and would have better ratings than most of the current shows on NBC.

Comment by Sg. Grant – June 9, 2013 12:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree with this – I think having this show off the air has actually brought it more recognition than when it was on the air. I think if it were to be revived, it would be one of the higher rated shows.

Comment by Kristen – June 10, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish I had been there to witness the perfection. The actors are truly amazing!

Comment by shanise – June 9, 2013 02:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post