TVLine Items: Early Hiatus for AMC/OLTL, Idol's New Chief, Bunheads Renewal Buzz and More!

One Life to LiveLife in Pine Valley and Llanview is quieting down a little faster than expected.

Both All My Children and One Life to Live will halt production 11 days earlier than planned, as a result of unresolved labor issues between the online soaps’ producer Prospect Park and the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees Local 52.

Prospect Park says the premature pause won’t affect viewers, that 40 episodes of each serial are already in the can, to air through September. Producers hope to have smoothed out any labor wrinkles by the hiatus’ planned end date of August 12.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

• It’s not necessarily time to jete for joy over Bunheads. Though fans of the ballet-themed bubble dramedy hoped that the production receiving a California Film and Tax Credit heralded Season 2 renewal, an ABC Family rep tells Buzzfeed, “We are not making a decision about a pick-up until we know how our new summer series premiere.”

• News Corp. TV executive David Hill will oversee the upcoming season of Fox’s American Idol and The X Factor, taking over those specific responsibilities from departing alternative programming president Mike Darnell.

• Lifetime’s Drop Dead Diva has tapped Brigid Brannagh (Army Wives) to guest-star in the new season’s fifth episode as a wife whose husband wins big at a casino, while Sandra Bernhard (Roseanne) will play a sympathetic judge, per The Hollywood Reporter. Reiko Aylesworth (24) meanwhile will show up in Episode 6 as a woman protecting her boyfriend’s legacy from his estranged parents.

• NBC’s midseason comedy The Family Guide, starring J.K. Simmons (The Closer), has changed its name to Growing Up Fisher.

Good Morning America‘s Sam Champion and HLN hosts Robin Meade and A.J. Hammer will emcee the 40th annual Daytime Emmy Awards, to be broadcast live June 16 on HLN.

1. jalahyacinth says:

COME ON ABC FAMILY! Ack!

• Lisa says:

I know. Announcing this makes me want to avoid all Summer Series on ABC Family. Bunheads needs at least a partial season. It was just getting it’s footing. I was a huge GG fans. It took a few episodes of BH to stop comparing.

• Rook says:

Seriously I hope Bunheads and The Lying Game makes it!

• Caitlyn says:

Don’t take away bun heads!!!!! It’s a really sweet and cute show! Me and lots of my friends love it! I will for reals start a protest if you don’t give it a second season!!! I could give you a hundred reasons why bun heads should stay on TV. But it all comes down to the fact that its an amazing show!!

• Bunheads is the only ABC Family show I watch.

• Leah says:

you’re missing out on some good tv

• atteluso says:

Me too, as far as I’m concerned bunheads is the only show abc family has put out that’s worth watching. If they don’t bring it back I’ll be heartbroken, there’s nothing spectacular on tv these days but bunheads was a plesant break from the norm.

• Jackie says:

I agree!! I do not watch a lot of TV and I just watched the first season in a week on Amazon!! I am hooked on the comedy, characters and of course, the dancing! From what I am told and see, there is nothing else like it! It has it’s own unique identity I am begging you … Bring Bunheads Back!!!

• Quartzlyn says:

Agreed!! Let’s get a campaign going to boycott the summer series so they bring back Bunheads!!

• Mika02 says:

Which is why I refuse to watch the Forsters or Twisted. I will only be watching Switched at Birth. I knew that’s what they were going to do it’s what the did with Jane by Design as well. The only show they have invested in are Secret Life, Pretty Little liars and Switched at birth. It so stupid.

• Callie says:

First Jane by Design was cancelled, now possibly Bunheads? I really hope that they bring Bunheads back…it seems that all networks recently have been cancelling shows left and right that are not “reality” based. I am sick of the reality series and would like to see more drama/sitcom based shows make it back season after season. Too many good shows are being cancelled just show we can have another season of So You Think You Can Dance, America’s Got Talent, The X Factor, Splash, and so on…

• Tiff says:

I hope they renew bunheads! I’ve been waiting to watch more for a while now. Bunheads is a great show, and I think ABC would lose a lot of viewers if they cancelled it. After all it is the only thing I watch on ABC besdies the 25 days of Christmas!

2. Dr. Bombay says:

I’ve been watching OLTL for a really long time, off and on, since the late 70s. I’ve been watching the new incarnation and I have to say it’s pretty terrible so far. It’s been on for several weeks now and really nothing has happened yet. There is no great cliffhanger waiting to be resolved or any great all-encompassing story. I keep tuning in hoping it will improve but I’m not hopeful. Too many core characters missing and some of the recasts (Matthew and Destiny) are dreadful. Big fail so far IMO.

• Taryn says:

I couldn’t agree more with your assessment I already gave up out of disappointment I’d rather remember it the way it was then bare the dreadful thing it has become and the young group od dani, matthew, what’s his face, and destiny make me so sad for the early days of cole, markko, langston, and starr when you had a good group of friends that actually had some likable and redeeming qualities among their flaws and the only original dani is so whiny and self righteous i have no sympathy for her I had more pity for cole as a drug addict

• amy says:

I triple the comment of current oltl, the writing is awful, i am sorry to say but it should of just stayed in soap heaven. Nu Matthew and nu destiny are awful, the storylines do nothing four the writing that was when it left abc, and it’s too sad to see faves like Dorian and Vicki just not have the proper material to showcase their acting

• Lauren says:

I’ve been watching for 20 years and I could not disagree more. So many of the old favorites are on board and there is so much more cast integration than on ABC. Dead weight like Rex/Gigi, the Fords and even Jessica and her alters are gone thankfully. The younger cast is the best OLTL had in years- I find this Matthew and Destiny way more compelling. After years of RC running the show like a campy cartoon, I am LOVING the show again. I hope the dispute is quickly resolved

3. A says:

I think Bunheads would be well paired with the Wednesday comedy block (because they are all lighthearted) or PLL (beacuse it could use a strong lead in).

4. EveatEden says:

come on ABC Family, Bunheads has to come back!!

5. Cassie says:

I just finished week one for OLTL and it seems to be promising. The recasts for Matthew and Destiny are less than okay. PP Destiny looks absolutely nothing like her ABC incarnation. I hope it continues to be as strong as this first week but I’ve read things that say otherwise…

• Pam says:

I’m not sure what happened . Is it the writing or the acting?
      I’m not crazy about Matthew and Destiny. Feel they are there because of their appearance. Danny is beautiful but is too much drama. Needs more depth. I think writers need to invest some more time in watching some old shows to capture the characters hearts a little more. Miss John with Natilie. Really a screwed up deal on the OLTL and GH switch. Didn’t go real well and now the characters have been distorted. Still watching though hoping that things are going to be much better when “vacation” is over.

6. Amanda says:

This is just crap for ABC Family to be doing this. You have a wonderful show that people are anxiously (and vocally) anticipating. Waiting an entire summer seems counterproductive. See how your other summer shows do, so that Bunheads can wait even longer? Ugh.

7. Holly says:

I need my Michelle back!!!

8. Kira says:

Still keeping my fingers crossed The Lying Game gets renewed!!! The cast is fantastic and the writing just keeps getting better and better :) PPL might want to learn from them how to actually write a good twist and move a storyline forward. I used to be a big fan of PPL but between the writers thinking they’re more clever than they really are and the show runner blatantly lying during interviews I had to jump ship.

• YD says:

does anybody realize PLL is based on books, and that the writers try to stick to that story? And that, maybe .. just maybe, if there are like what, 7 books or something, that the show can’t just reveal A after 2 seasons coz people who actually read the books might be severely disappointed? Oh no, let’s just blame the writers………………….. The Lying Game was okay, but it really wasn’t all that brilliant either

9. I wouldn’t exactly call that ‘buzz’ :\

10. Witchy says:

Ah that sucks Bunheads is a real good show. What new shows do they get this summer? Anything bad to give us some hope. I gues we all must stop watching ABC-Family this summer. If we want Bunheads back and I do want it back badly.

11. Amanda says:

Jesus, ABC Family! Pick up the show or don’t. Stop stringing fans along. You’re not going to make me watch your other shows if them doing badly helps Bunheads.

12. Hope Rob Wilson should go back to his modeling duties on The Price is Right during next season even if All My Children comes back from its hiatus.

13. K. says:

Come on ABC Family renew Bunheads it’s a great show and I love it! Also it is by far way BETTER then that Secret Life of American Teenager, which for me should have been canned after the 2 season…..

14. Elyse says:

i know i’m in the minority but i would rather have Lying Game renewed over Bunheads!

15. EJ says:

The PP online resurrection of OLTL/AMC simply wasn’t a sustainable venture. Nice try, PP, better luck next time. I’d prefer to see a blending of ATWT/GL into one online soap, anyway.

• BTM says:

That’s not what the article said. The shows were going on the production break anyway. The strike just made it happen sooner. They plan to resume production in August. This isn’t intended to be a cancellation of either.

• dude says:

Whether its intended or not, it will be cancelled soon. They ruined OLTL and their reputations with how horribly they handled the General Hospital situation. Prospect Park should never have tried to swoop in and save anything. OLTL/AMC would have gotten satisfying endings and they wouldn’t have flushed a ton of money down the drain.

• EJ says:

I couldn’t have said it better, dude.

These two shows are toast. There are too many insurmountable issues which have piled up since the online launch.

I really do wish the shows had gotten a decent, satisfying send-off on ABC and GH would end up doing multiple cross-overs before it too ends up in Soap Heaven.

16. Et al. says:

Hmmm. A News Corp guy running Idol? I guess we now know the first big change – white contestants only.

17. Lorena says:

We want The Lying game tooo

18. MK says:

So this just means we stop watching ABC Family’s summer series right? Stick together, Bunheads, WE CAN DO THIS!!

• Elizabeth says:

I know I won’t be watching either new series, especially if their failure helps Bunheads and maybe The Lying Game get renewals. I not interested in the new shows anyways, I’d rather have my other shows back.

19. Jared says:

Although I don’t watch Bunheads I don’t understand why ABCFamily wouldn’t renew the series for atleast another season considering the tax credit it just received. Makes no sense to cancel a show that wouldn’t cost much to produce.

I’m a HUGE fan of The Lying Game but the show might as well be cancelled already. ABCFamily doesn’t seem to wanna stick with the show and it never really took off the way im sure the network wanted it too. From what I’ve read most of the casts contracts have already expired except for Alexandra Chando and Blair Redford whose were extended. Maybe they could somehow move Sutton/Emma and Ethan to Ravenswood somehow??

• Elyse says:

Jared i 100% agree with what you’ve said about Lying Game. ABC family has pretty much treated that series like dirt. I would love it if they moved the twins and Ethan to Ravenswood!!! what a good idea :)

20. Ken Carter says:

Bunheads deserves a second season. Great show just to chill with.

21. Amy says:

Shame on ABC Family. They seem to have no confidence in their shows and we must wait to see how the Fosters and Twisted do in the ratings. Bunheads is a great, smart show that has a growing fan base and deserves to be renewed for a second season. ABC Family treats their fans with little respect sad to say-but not surprised.

22. I’ve been loving All My Children. I hope PP can get all this stuff worked out.

23. Diane says:

Pulling for Bunheads. As for the daytime soaps, they should stay cancelled.

24. Diz says:

Renew The Lying Game ABCFamily! I still have 14 episodes of Bunheads on DVR that I have yet to begin watching.

25. Lana says:

I am a grown woman who has no business watching ABC Fsmily. I do so only for Bunheads. Please bring it back, it’s brilliant!!!

• Lisa says:

Good entertainment is good entertainment. It doesn’t matter where it is aired. I love that there are shows that I can watch with the family. I would recommend “Switched at Birth” if you haven’t tried it. It is different from any other show I have ever seen.

• mia says:

I second the reccomendation for Switched At Birth. Its easily one of the most compelling, addictive and surprising shows on tv right now, and not in that guilty pleasure way; its legitimately excellent programming.

26. nobody special says:

My husband has come out of the closet as a Bunheads fan. If it isn’t renewed, how can i convince him that it’s ok to watch shows that don’t involve full pads? He’s having a hard enough time waiting for the return of Downton Abbey, this suspense is killing him! (and no, i’m not joking, those are two of his favorite shows, and if he knew i said that, he’d kill me!)

• gdv says:

Haha. Those are also two of my husband’s favorite (more girly) shows. He hated Gilmore Girls, so I thought he’d make fun of me for watching Bunheads, but he genuinely enjoyed watching the first season with me. (Or maybe I’ve just changed his tv tastes for the better?)

27. mia says:

Well I wasn’t really keen on Twisted from ABC Family, but was going to check it out because its them. But if Bunheads’ future is dependent on its success, than heck I’m going to boycott it.

28. Eli says:

Dammn you TVLine for getting my hopes up there :( I WANT MY BUNHEADS BACK! :(

29. Sjoggie Shannon says:

Please bring Bunheads back!!! Not only is it a great show for a variety of audiences, it is one of the few “non-reality” shows that my husband and I actually watch together (it took a few seasons before I got him hooked on GG’s – he loved to be able to pick out GG actors on Bunheads before me.

30. Bunheads/Lying Game Fan 4ever says:

ABC Family’s budget must be one of the lowest on basic cable. That’s the only reason I can think of for their miserly and miserable reluctance to renew a program that has already been given a signifcant tax break!

I believe that if they nominate a show and it actually wins this highly sought after lottery – then they MUST agree to follow through immediately with resuming production of Bunheads! How ungrateful can you get?

Bring back The Lying Game and Bunheads this fall. Don’t kill their momentum by waiting until 2014.

31. patsy says:

please bring BUNHEADS back!

32. Laura $ says:

Bunheads is an amazing show. It’s too bad ABC Family cancels shows before they give them a decent chance. I will be skipping the summer premieres. Also, I don’t want to get attached to a new show on that channel. They’ve broken my heart too many times.

33. daphmax says:

SAVE BUNHEADS!

34. Stephanie says:

Please! Bunheads is a great show! I too shall not watch ABC Family’s new line up if it means saving Bunheads. It’s truly an intelligently written enjoyable show!!!

35. Alex says:

I honestly tried to watch the new show fosters since bh isnt on, but it said it premiered today but it sed previously on. But bh HAS to come back! Its so cute and hilarious! And it ended eith ginny saying she had sex with frankie! Come on u cant just leave it at that! And the show 7th heaven stayed on abcfamily for years and barely anyone watched it during its last few seasons. Now bunheads was in the top 12 summer programs and has a lot of fans, and tey decide to make a new show? Whats wrong with them!

36. Tyffini says:

I love bunnheads. I also loved Jane by design bt it was canceled

37. bec says:

FROM AUSTRALIA: please bring back Bunheads. Sutton Foster is amazingly talented. The show us funny & well written.

38. Angela says:

For the first time in years Iv found a TV show that I really like, it is very well writen and my husband likes it as well….There is sooo much garbage TV these days or more of the same story lines over and over. This show is different and special, the actors are talanted in dance and in vocals. Bunheads needs to be given more time to take off. Please bring back Bunheads!!!!!

39. Cheryl says:

I was going to try Twisted, but if it will push Bunheads out-NO WAY! Bunheads is one of my favorite shows. Please bring it back or I’m done with ABC family

40. Laurel Hawkins says:

Bunheada is the best show in years. I’ve watched the abc family summer shows and nothing is even close. If it gets canceled I will boycott this Chanel!!!

41. Carol says:

Bring Bunheads back ABC Family!!!!

42. I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your blogs really nice, keep
    it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back later on. All the best

43. Harrison says:

The best thing for Amy to do is take Bunheads to Netflix rather than deal with the ABC Family execs who treated her like dirt. It’s a slap in the face. The show is cleaver and funny and the writing and acting is superb. ABC Family dropped the ball on this one.

44. CaitlinJane says:

I am angry about bunheads! I would’ve rather watched that than twisted or The Fosters. Please bring back Bunheads, I will die if you don’t. I am a huge fan and it was getting really good!!!

45. CaitlinJane says:

I will seriously boycott ABC Family is they don’t bring Bunheads back! I know plenty of people that will also stop watch ABC Family. Bunheads was amazing, the acting, dancing and singing were SUPERB! I believe they deserve another season. I mean Secrect Life got like 5 seasons and that show got boring by the 2nd season.. PLEASE bring back BUNHEADS!!!

46. Kim Womantree says:

Bunheads was funny and smart, and Sutton Foster brought her charisma every show. Bring it back please!

47. Aussiemum says:

AUSTRALIA LOVES BUNHEADS!!!! Please bring it back….. I too am a grown woman in who loves bunheads. It gives me hope that when my little girls are a bit older there will be intelligent, warm, witty shows for us to watch together…. What else fits that brief?

48. jane says:

Bunheads is a refreshing change from the usual and is the only ABC Family show WE-my husband and I-watch! Bring it back ABC its the best you have!! Great writing, acting and quirky characters=entertainment!

49. Elsy, Miami, Florida says:

I LOVE Bun Heads. It’s the only program I watch on ABD Family. Please don’t cancel this program.