Showtime Officially Cancels The Borgias – Find Out How It Was Supposed to End

Get More: Cancellations

The Borgias CancelledIt’s official: The Borgias‘ Season 3 finale on June 16 will now function as a series finale.

Showtime on Wednesday cancelled the Jeremy Irons-fronted period drama, and also scrapped plans for a two-hour wrap-up movie.

PHOTOS | TVLine Wish List: 30 Actors From Cancelled Series We Want Back on TV Now

“When they looked at what it could cost, it was just too expensive,” series creator Neil Jordan told Deadline. “I would have loved to bring all the characters to a conclusion. All of the actors were heartbroken we couldn’t continue, and so was I.”

Had the telepic been given a green light, viewers would have been treated to what Jordan calls a “totally biblical ending” featuring “the Pope dying and no one willing to hear his confession. When they finally find a confessor and the Pope starts to repent his sins, the confessor interrupts him, saying, ‘I’m sorry, it’s too late, you’re already dead and burning in hell.’”

TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has been updated.

Comments (209)

• Aren’t the ratings getting BETTER?

These seems like an odd choice for Showtime, which never cancels anything anyway.

Comment by steveo – June 5, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • my guess is the cost being too much.

Comment by Shaun – June 5, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You don’t have to guess, it’s explained above!

Comment by Marie – June 6, 2013 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Join us! We are world wide! SaveThe Borgias .com and Save The Borgias on Facebook

Comment by SCough – July 31, 2013 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The Borgias is addicting and I wish it would continue – I cannot say enough about the cast not to mention I am in love with Cesera Borgia! Why can’t you make a movie or put it on Prime Time TV I bet more people will watch it – My husband and I have been watching it on Netflix VERY GOOD

Comment by Tina Bissiri – January 23, 2014 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • only in American can crap like The Kardashians be renewed and watched and productions like The Borgias with superb casting and story lines not be continued year after year. It’s a true shame and I am going to miss it so much!

Comment by Joanna Backman – February 25, 2014 03:39 PM PDT
          • Same here. I got addicted to “The Borgias” about a month ago when I saw it on Netflix. It is the best I’ve ever seen so far outside of Game of Thrones. I wish they would bring it back so we could determine how it would end.

Comment by AHArooji – March 24, 2014 08:55 PM PDT
    • Actually, they’ve cancelled quite a few things lately… The Big C is the most recent. Webtherapy.. and ahh i can’t remember the name of the show about Tara and DID.

Comment by robyn – June 5, 2013 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • United States of Tara. That was a good show.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 5, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • tara was stupid, glad they cancelled that

Comment by vknyvz – June 10, 2013 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Web Therapy isn’t cancelled. In fact, it starts again in like a month.

Comment by CultureVulture – June 5, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • just found out that Showtime has dropped Big Brother After Dark … no subscribing for me this season then, more cost cutting……..

Comment by forrest – June 6, 2013 05:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • BBAD moved to a non-pay network… TV Guide Network along with paid web streams…. I guess they gotta keep it clean on TV Guide..

Comment by drhenning – June 6, 2013 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by SCough – July 31, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think this marks the beginning of the end for period drama: The age of Pillars of the Earth, Rome and The Tudors is coming to an end.

I pity the CW’s Reign.

Comment by A.J. – June 5, 2013 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Pillars of the Earth was never a series, it was a mini-series, meant to end when it did.

Comment by Sam – June 5, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And also did Rome and The Tudors: The Borgias deserved the have the same closure. as these got to have.

Comment by A.J. – June 6, 2013 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Rome wasn’t meant to end the way it did. It was supposed to continue for a total of 5 seasons. They had the 5 year story arc written, but HBO/BBC cancelled while they were still doing season 2, which resulted in a rushed storyline.

Comment by Rob – June 21, 2013 04:33 AM PDT
          • Your right! It deserves the same closure! Come join us in the #savetheborgias campaign.

Comment by JB – July 22, 2013 09:52 PM PDT
    • I believe it’s because the story from here on out is all about Cesare Borgia, not the Pope, therefore not Jeremy Irons, whom is to be the star and neither Showtime nor NJ thought it worthy to continue for another full season. However, history and the fans know that Cesare is far more interesting, especially when portrayed as excellently as François Arnaud has. Screw The Vatican show. Will not be watching.

Comment by stephieh07@yahoo.com – June 6, 2013 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually I think Cesare took over the show,,not to say the others weren’t great, but he was outstanding..doesn’t hurt what a handsome fellow he is….Ill truly miss this show.

Comment by Daisey – June 9, 2013 12:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • me neither!!!
        And you are rigth: Cesare Borgia ( in Francois Arnaud performance) was far more interesting as a character!!!!!!

Comment by Alex – June 25, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Will not be watching “The Vatican” or anything else Showtime. Come join us in the #savetheborgias campaign.

Comment by JB – July 22, 2013 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Has anyone started a petition or taken any action to show Showtime how we feel about this? I am voting with my feet and will not watch Showtime again – but somehow, I don’t think that will have any impact. How about petitions to Showtime and Neil Jordan PERSONALLY, as I understand he had a hand in the shows demise on the basis that he was “bored” with it!

Comment by Sue H – July 23, 2013 02:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • SaveTheBorgias.com

Yes there are a lot of things happening to try to save The Borgias!!!! The fans are uniting and we are in the thousands now! The petition is over 15,000 signatures and we are holding events to bring attention to Showtime/Nevins rude cancellation of a very loved show!

SaveTheBorgias.com is having a HUGE EVENT TODAY IN LA at the TCA Summer Press Tour where SHOWTIME will be along with the President, David Nevins.

Join us! Join our efforts! We are everywhere on the internet, with a web site, we’re on Facebook, Youtube, Tumblr…. and growing stronger every day!

Comment by Regina Adami – July 30, 2013 08:27 AM PDT
          • Anyone up set by the premature non-ending of Showtime’s The Borgias, please join us over at savetheborgias .com and on Facebook. We are a huge world wide group of fans who are totally committed to saving our show.

Comment by SCough – July 31, 2013 02:51 PM PDT
          • The borgias was definately one of the best shows of the past few years. I hate that it has been cancelled.! I thought the whole cast was superb and they deserved Emmys not cancellation. More and more people are leaving the pap on the Big networks for the more interesting shows to be had on cable.

Comment by Anne – August 27, 2013 01:36 PM PDT
    • Showtimes new exec is cancelling right and left.. dexter is also on its last season and us of tara cut last year…he has made some poor choices all around

Comment by sasha – June 9, 2013 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by SCough – July 31, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • let’s fund the movie-finale with kickstarter!!!!

Comment by mike – June 5, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If it was too expensive for a studio, it’s too expensive for you.

Comment by dude – June 5, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yea right like the Veronica Mars movie was to expensive for the studio.

Comment by Amy – June 5, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That’s the opposite of the point being made. VM the studio just didn’t want to make.

Comment by John – June 5, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Warner Bros. did want to make Veronica Mars because they thought there wasn’t a fan base anymore so they told Rob Thomas that if he can fund the production and show there IS a significant enough fan base, they’ll distribute it. I think raising over $2M is less than 11 hours on Kickstarter showed how much of a fan base there is.

Comment by rowan77 – June 6, 2013 07:49 AM PDT
          • WB was never going to make a movie. The risk of losing money on a cancelled tv show was too great. Universal tried making a movie based on a cancelled tv show once. It was great. It lost money. Doesn’t make sense from a business point of view.

And a Borgias movie would need a significantly higher budget, what with sets and locations being way more elaborate and possibly not being conveniantly available in California. And that’s without even thinking about costuming.

Comment by Mitholas – June 6, 2013 11:17 PM PDT
  • I’m devastated :( It was currently my favourite show on television and season 3 has definitely been the best of The Borgias so far… It’s not fair they’re not even going to give the fans a movie for proper closure. I’m so sad, gosh… This is not fair, the ratings were getting better and everything…

Comment by Rita – June 5, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Son of a @#!*#^*&@^*!!!!!

Comment by wrstlgirl – June 5, 2013 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Cesare and Lucrezia and Micheletto though???

Comment by Annie – June 5, 2013 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Write your own ending I guess. That’s your only option it seems.

Comment by wrstlgirl – June 5, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • time to go back to the History Books. Also, Machiavelli’s The Prince, is some how inspired on Caesarea of Borgia

Comment by Yago – June 5, 2013 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, this show has generated educational value with additional research done on the family. I have not done the stats on the increased sales figure of books like “The Prince” because of this series, but I figure it would high.

Comment by JB – July 22, 2013 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s a shame but I could see it was a pretty expensive show… I have no clue how Premiums are measured because of all the ways you can watch stuff and with no advertisers to please, it doesn’t matter how subscribers enjoy it…

Comment by drhenning – June 5, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This totally blows! I love this show. It was just getting really, really good. As usual, the mucky mucks decide what they think we want to watch instead of what we actually want to watch. Jeers to Showtime.

Comment by X – June 5, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t believe they’re canceling!!!!!!! This is the best thing on TV!! Isn’t there something we can do?

Comment by sarah burns – June 22, 2013 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not super-surprised, but I am disappointed. It’s been fun.

Comment by Daisy – June 5, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel the same. I find the Renaissance to be one of the most fascinating periods of history and I was enjoying it a lot. But considering how expensive this must be to film, I’m not surprised either. I felt the same way about “Rome” also.

Comment by The Beach – June 5, 2013 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Al least Rome had closure. For what it looks like the Borgias is going to end up whenever the season finale was going to end up.

Comment by A.J. – June 6, 2013 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I like most “history” based shows: Spartacus, Rome, Deadwood, The Tudors, and I,Claudius are some of my favorites. But, I also enjoy sci-fi and many other current shows. I just wish the showrunner would have gotten to end The Borgias the way he intended (with a final movie).

Comment by Rodge1978 – June 6, 2013 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They really could have at least given us the movie. I’m sure it would not have ruined the network. Way to respect the viewers Showtime…

Comment by Meh – June 5, 2013 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! Those of us who have enjoyed this series the past three years deserve at least that.

Comment by Terese – June 6, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Isn’t there anything we can still do? My husband and I only watch The Borgias-it’s by far the best thing on TV.

Comment by sarah burns – June 22, 2013 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes!!! that´s true!!!!

Comment by Alex – June 25, 2013 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Join Us! SAVETHEBORGIAS .COM AND SAVE THE BORGIAS ON FaceBook!

Comment by SCough – July 31, 2013 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am heartbroken. It was one of my all time favorites. I guess after Dexter, goodbye showtime. No ending is a horrible thing to do to fans.

Comment by Dee – June 5, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it’s time to cancel showtime ! I love this show and to end it the way they did is just wrong . We are the ones that pay extral to have showtime to watch shows like the Borgias ! I think we should drop showtime. if there is a number of us that drop it maybe the boss at showtime we think twice about canceling shows we love !

Comment by Chris – June 11, 2013 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with you. I kept Showtime just to watch The Borgias. The execs should at least give us a movie to give us and the actors closure with the characters. I am definately cancelling Showtime. And I know my neighbors and family are going to cancel their subscriptions also. EVERYONE is very angry about this travasty!!!

Comment by Robin – June 16, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I saw the finalé this morning on Showtime on demand. There is 0 resolution to the storylines. I cannot believe Showtime wouldn’t do a tv movie to tie up every storyline. If it wasn’t for Dexter (and maybe Ray Donovan, I saw the pilot today too) I would cancel Showtime. This new bosshole better have great shows lined up or…. Hey, if they won’t give resolution to The Borgias, why should I finish my sentence :~)

Comment by Rodge78 – June 16, 2013 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Join US! Savetheborgias .com. and Save the borgias on Facebook! Sign petition and help us go forwa rd with a proper ending!

Comment by SCough – July 31, 2013 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Rule of Supply and Demand. As long as they understand the cancellation numbers are because of the cancellation of The Borgias, it is possible. #savetheborgias

Comment by JB – July 22, 2013 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They saw the Season 3 was actually turning out okay, and proceeded to cancel it because they only stick with shows that become crap after Season 3.

Comment by Guest – June 5, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL! – yet feels true.

Comment by rowan77 – June 6, 2013 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the best show on t.v. showtime has lost its mind…..

Comment by j.martinez – June 5, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They really have lost their minds. Isn’t there something we can do to get them to continue the show?

Comment by sarah burns – June 22, 2013 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. I just watched the final show. I was shocked that it is over! I had showtime just for the Borgia’s! I am really bummed out. I’ll probably cancel Showtime now.

Comment by Cynthia Adams – July 9, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK, first it was Jerry, now it’s Jeromy – unless these are his stand-ins, it should be JEREMY Irons! Scar does not approve…

Comment by Steve F. – June 5, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m heartbroken! I would love to see this show continue to it’s natural end. The quality of the story, and the excellent acting made this show #1 in my book. I wish that they would reconsider a mini-movie to tie up loose ends.

Comment by Lynn Nipe – June 5, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Join Us! Savetheborgias .com. and Save The Borgias on Facebook

Comment by SCough – July 31, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally devasted! My favorite show and no proper ending. It seems when shows ae canceled they should have a plan that wraps up things neatly for the fans! Another disappointment from Showtime!

Comment by Angela – June 5, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • :(((((((

Comment by koecike – June 5, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am genuinely gutted by this news. I adore this show and think it is far superior to The Tudors, yet that one continued through to the end Henry VIII. I really hoped we’d get to at least the death of Alexander. Very disappointing.

Comment by Jordan – June 5, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of the brighter aspects of this is that it lasted quite a bit of time, seasons and episodes. Before it started off you could se and feel quite a bit of potential. As the episodes came and went it just did not seem as impactful and fulfilling as it should have been. I am sure there are those, that found it overall to be thumbs up. It just felt like it was written for totally a shock-and-awe feel. A part of me is surprised it last this long. Another part of me is not surprised it did. Some things for some reason remain. One reason could have been that Showtime in recent times, years is not know for axing programs. If Showtime is going to air a series there is going to be an overall, overarching plan. All parties involved see a series going for x number of episodes and x number of seasons, at least and/or there is something that leads a show to be aired for a considerable amount of time. Who knows the exact reasons as to why now being the time to see The Borgias end? Unfortunately, it does not have the opportunity to have a sort of conclusion that is relatively satisfying or you can confidently say, yeah it had a conclusion. Perhaps Showtime (& whomever) at one point or several points want to do away with the show. Instead they collectively decide to see it through due partly to pride. Guess now, is the time where they realize it is time to stop and move on.

Comment by Becky (@DuchessofBruce) – June 5, 2013 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If that’s true should have decided earlier.Now the ending is shoehorned!!

Comment by Shaun – June 5, 2013 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Darn it. :-(

Comment by SAM – June 5, 2013 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We are not amused.

Comment by BNorty – June 5, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should make the movie, I know they could rerun the whole series every three or four years and still get viewers to watch.

Comment by UncleAL, – June 5, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wished they had finished it out, or at least given it a finale movie to wrap it up. I found this series to be fascinating. Sad day

Comment by Martina – June 5, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Show time sucks!!!. They cancel the best show ever. History involved, great character, fantastic customs and delightful music. By canceling the show no respect for the actors involve in it as well as as the viewers. Show time is not trustful at all…. Idiots

Comment by Jacqueline – June 5, 2013 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by SCough – July 31, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boo! It deserved a season 4, and the least they could have done was given the show a 2 hour movie.

Comment by Em – June 5, 2013 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT??? Please nooooooooooo!!! I’m devastated!!! How can they cancel it just like that?? That’s just wrong!!! I was looking sooo forward to the fourth season :’( WHY CAN’T THEY AT LEAST MAKE THAT WRAP UP MOVIE?? COME ON!!!!!

Comment by Bee (@MissLalwen) – June 5, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by SCough – July 31, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s not like I don’t know how this historical characters ended their lifes but I would have loved to watch Jeremy Irons portraying Rodrigo’s death and to see the third and last marriage for Lucrezia and the defeat of Cesare. This actors gave life to characters I had only imagined for so long and now I’ll have to re-read the history.

Comment by Tinemi – June 5, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never liked the show, so not disappointed at all about this. Hopefully The Vatican will get picked up and replace it next year; need Coach Taylor back on my television.

Comment by Superhero – June 5, 2013 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Quizá es porque neesitas cerebro para disfrutar esta historia… no muchos lo tienen, señor “superheroe”!

Comment by Alex – June 25, 2013 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im not happy its like reading a book never to find the end ! this series has been brilliant all the way through, and this season i felt it had come into its own, truly epic . They could have at least wrapped the story up !! but as always its F@*K the people who have watched 3 years its the ratings that count and how much ad time they can promote, at the end of the day money ! ALWAYS COMES DOWN TO MONEY.

Comment by Anna – June 5, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you 100%!

Comment by krissy – June 5, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I Totally Agre!!!

Comment by Alex – June 25, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by SCough – July 31, 2013 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a historical fiction drama, in order to find out what happened all you need to do is pick up a history book or go on Wikipedia.

Comment by S. – June 5, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just thinking the same thing!

Comment by A.Rae – June 5, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Reading about it isn’t nearly as sexy or thrilling.

Comment by Shaun – June 5, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Of course it is. The reality of the Borgia’s is why they made the show in the first place. Secret murders, secret sex, secrets within secrets. The real story is always better because it actually happened, with none of it edited for content or dramatized for effect or ratings or to stroke a difficult actor’s ego. Real is always better.

Comment by S. – June 5, 2013 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, I think this plays against historical fiction. For the 18 to 49 demographic the ending is a given and, for those who want to know how Henry VIII, the Bogias, Mary of Scotland and so on ended, all they need to do is check a book or wikipedia.

Comment by A.J. – June 6, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I knew what really happened before I started the show. I’m not watching to get a history lesson, I’m watching because I am emotionally invested in the characters as written by Neil Jordan, portrayed by the actors that play them on the show. History doesn’t tell me how Cesare and Lucrezia’s relationship goes, or Rodrigo/Lucrezia, or Vanozza, when Micheletto comes back. Historically based, yes, but this is still fiction. And it’s unfinished.

Comment by Sara – June 14, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with you, Sara. Did you read Mario Puzo (“The Godfather’s author’s) last work, published posthumously? It tells you how all the characters ended up (and goes into some sexual places that even a Showtime TV show wouldn’t go between Cesare & Lucrezia, with Alexander VI watching on). But yes, I feel cheated. And even as the show started, I knew that this wouldn’t be as explicit at Mario Puzo’s last novel, “The Family.” But I found it to be terrific in quality. And like you feel CHEATED. Try Amazon.Com for “Borgia: Faith and Fear,” which is my next step. Some critics have said it’s even better (altho I can’t imagine a better Pope than Jeremy Irons), but I think that the “story arc” is at least complete, and was filmed in three seasons simulataneous to the Showtime production. Good GRIEF…what’s Showtime done for us lately, other than this TEASE?!? You better BELIEVE that I don’t subscibe to it any longer!!! :-P

Comment by Clayton – October 4, 2013 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In real life pope A died of likely poisening and was so bloted and discusting no one would kiss anything near him. C his son went on to live with his wife and died in war. L lived happily ever after with her third husband to a ripe old age.

Comment by brandy – June 5, 2013 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • …Lucrezia died at 39 in childbirth. And Cesare died at 31 after being imprisoned following Rodrigo’s death, escaped, and was executed on the battlefield outside Viana.

Comment by emily – June 5, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with all that’s been said before me , sad very sad tv where the mind had a chance too be feed , tickled and drink , from all parts of its domain.

Comment by william keats – June 5, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m crying! i’m so sad!

Comment by Emma – June 5, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • read a history book to find out the ending. Read “The Borgias”.

Comment by Wendy Fischer – June 5, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely dismissive and missing the point.

Comment by wrstlgirl – June 5, 2013 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if Jeremy Irons’ recent boneheaded statements about women and then, later, gays played into this. I don’t know about elsewhere, but there were people all over the GLBT sites stating they weren’t going to watch the show this season after Irons’ comments on same sex marriage. It likely didn’t do the show any favors, particularly when its never been a ratings blockbuster to begin with.

Comment by Geo – June 5, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why does everything ends up being tied to something political or controversial like gay issues or same sex issues? Jeremy Irons or anyone else for that matter is entitled to their personal views and opinions if asked. Whatever their views are on real life should not be a bad reflection of their work in cinematic arts. We watch them to be entertained, do we not? Bottom line this was an excellent series of epic proportions, period, end of story. Speaking of end…Someone in charge did not take into account budgets that may be prohibiting in today’s economy. They also did not give the show enogh time to get recognized and be heard of as it finally did during the third season. Why then film in Budapest instead of locally and save some money. As for me, I am thankful I recently discovered the show and watched all 3 seasons in 3 nights because I was that hooked. Of course, just like millions of viewers, I am highly disappointed there is no proper closure to the series. Well then, maybe another network will pick it up. I barely watch TV as it is since it’s been overpowered with trashy reality shows and what not. The Borgias claimed my attention and kept me captivated. Excellent casts, directing, production, story lines, cinematography, costumes…
      As a side note: I nominate Francois Arnaud for the part of Christian Grey in 50 shades. He has the talent and being a fairly new face in Hollywood, we wouldn’t be biased as to what we think how he is going to handle this part compare to the other well known actors they are contemplating to hire for the part. Peace out everyone.

Comment by badprototype – June 23, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree. People have the right to their own views. It doesn’t affect their acting ability. I think this show was interesting as I too hate all the slimy reality shows of today.

Comment by NVWriter – August 28, 2013 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally devastated. Most favourite show. How can we officially complain? ????? The fans of shows have swayed producers in the past. It totally blows. :’(

Comment by Avalon Rose – June 5, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I want to know how to complain too!! The viewers saved shows like One Tree Hill and Friday Night Lights. I’m so disappointed right now :(

Comment by Lauren – June 5, 2013 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, DirecTV is who saved Friday Night Lights (and Damages too).

Comment by The Beach – June 5, 2013 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by SCough – July 31, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s right get us all hooked on the series and then cancel it showtimes sucks What are you peoplet thinking this was one of the best series you had

Comment by Deborah Tarantino – June 5, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Showtime is just like the Catholic Church. It’s all just about money in the end :-(

Comment by Jane Saunders – June 5, 2013 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by SCough – July 31, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A phenomenal show, perhaps Netflix would pick it up to finish. They have been creating and taking over some shows lately!!! Here’s to hoping.

Comment by Jenna D. – June 5, 2013 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We concur. We think Netflix would be a good platform for Season 4 of The Borgias.

Comment by Mark – June 5, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Pretty sure if Showtime can’t afford to make it, Netflix can’t either

Comment by cassey – June 5, 2013 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • FYI…Netflix streaming is currently carrying the first two season of the series “Borgia”. It may be a Canadian production (also read it’s a French/German collaboration but it’s in English) and it’s very, very good. It might take a bit of adjustment to different actors playing the roles one is used to playing the character on Showtime but it is well worth watching…and Juan is really handsome :-)

Comment by The Beach – June 5, 2013 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No movie, huh. [Sigh].

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 5, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I have to come to Showtimnes defence here…BUT Jordan was the one who announced there wasn’t enough material left for a full season and HE was the one that commented that doing a full season was tiring.

In the majority of interviews I have read recently, he seemed like he was over writing and being a part of The Borgias. He could not have come across as less excited if he tried. I would have prefered Showtime let someone else be showrunner and let Jordan leave rather than cncel the whole thing but I’m pretty sure it is like 80% Jordan’s descison not to film a fourth full season. He was the one pushing for the movie because he didn’t want to do another season.

Comment by jayjay – June 5, 2013 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It would be nice for them to finish the series with a ending. The cost shouldn’t matter. Getting viewers hooked and not having a ending is not fare. :( . As a viewer we all pay good money for these channels, sometimes profit shouldn’t be everything.

Comment by Steven Chalkley – June 5, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree. I was about to post the same thing, but you said it well. I expect that if they made a movie to wrap up the series, they would still come out ahead – and would still have subscribers. As it is … I will cancel after Dexter’s finale. These two shows are all I watch on Showtime. So, they have given me no reason to keep them.

Comment by Judy Dunmire – July 5, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You took the words right out of my mouth the only reason I subscribed to Showtime was to watch The Tudors then when that went off I stayed for Dexter & The Borgias so mad there’s no season 4 all the crap t.v. out there its hard to find great shows that people with higher brain function can enjoy. I think Neil Jordan doomed the show every interview he just talks about how 10 episodes is exhausting to do and he wants to wrap it up with a movie blah blah blah, if the man in charge of the show isn’t into it why would the network keep it around? I remember when TV shows were 22 episodes a season at least and 10 is too much seriously? they didn’t seem to have that problem with The Tudors I guess this is what we get when a person use to doing movies tries to do TV not all of them can handle it. I guess when Dexter ends I’ll be cancelling Showtime.

Comment by tawanna – July 9, 2013 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by SCough – July 31, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boycott Showtime ! As the pope would say: We disapprove

Comment by bako – June 5, 2013 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m hearthbroken!!!!!!!!! this is my favorite show. What can I said………. I’m devastated !!!!!!! is not fair.

Comment by Ruby12 – June 5, 2013 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by SCough – July 31, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They’re canceling the Borgias at 3 seasons, but they let the Big C last?! Ugh! Way to let HBO win! :-P

Comment by Lisa Marie Buxbaum Barnhart – June 5, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I enjoyed “The Big C,” and was glad they gave it a respectful ending. It’s a sad fact, but “period” series are much more expensive to produce. Think about what the cost difference would be for the Pope’s Jubilee garb as opposed to Nurse Jackie’s scrubs. I loved “The Borgias” and am devastated that we won’t get a proper ending, but HBO is no better–I’m still bitter that they cancelled both “Deadwood” and “Carnivale” prematurely.

Comment by Lia – June 6, 2013 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Show time sucks

Comment by Jacqueline – June 5, 2013 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by SCough – July 31, 2013 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s like HBO’s Rome just too damn expensive to make these period pieces.

How much can a pope dying in a room cost?

Comment by Midori4 – June 5, 2013 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is beyond disappointing. One of my favorite shows to watch for its quality and depth in both character and in narrative. One of the last dying “books on television.” This is a HUGE mistake for Showtime. I might cancel my subscription now as Nurse Jackie will not be captivating enough for me to continue paying the 30 dollars monthly for this network’s service.

Comment by LAC – June 5, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by SCough – July 31, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m canceling Showtime.

Comment by ethel – June 5, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by SCough – July 31, 2013 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by sbstyer – June 5, 2013 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Borgias was an incredible series. The drama was intense. I am beyond hurt that this excellent show is canceled. Shame on Showtime!!!

Comment by Evelyn – June 5, 2013 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by SCough – July 31, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely ridiculous!!!! Shame on Showtime!!!

Comment by Chris K – June 5, 2013 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’ve cancelled
      Dexter after this coming season finale,and now the Borgias too. I think it’s timefor me to cancel Showtime.

Comment by Lea – June 5, 2013 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ditto….bye, bye Showtime

Comment by Mark C – June 10, 2013 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • How do I get to the online petition? Help! Thanks!

Comment by kim – June 10, 2013 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post