Showtime Officially Cancels The Borgias – Find Out How It Was Supposed to End

The Borgias CancelledIt’s official: The Borgias‘ Season 3 finale on June 16 will now function as a series finale.

Showtime on Wednesday cancelled the Jeremy Irons-fronted period drama, and also scrapped plans for a two-hour wrap-up movie.

PHOTOS | TVLine Wish List: 30 Actors From Cancelled Series We Want Back on TV Now

“When they looked at what it could cost, it was just too expensive,” series creator Neil Jordan told Deadline. “I would have loved to bring all the characters to a conclusion. All of the actors were heartbroken we couldn’t continue, and so was I.”

Had the telepic been given a green light, viewers would have been treated to what Jordan calls a “totally biblical ending” featuring “the Pope dying and no one willing to hear his confession. When they finally find a confessor and the Pope starts to repent his sins, the confessor interrupts him, saying, ‘I’m sorry, it’s too late, you’re already dead and burning in hell.'”

TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has been updated.

1. steveo says:

Aren’t the ratings getting BETTER?

These seems like an odd choice for Showtime, which never cancels anything anyway.

• Shaun says:

my guess is the cost being too much.

• Marie says:

You don’t have to guess, it’s explained above!

• SCough says:

Join us! We are world wide! SaveThe Borgias .com and Save The Borgias on Facebook

• Tina Bissiri says:

The Borgias is addicting and I wish it would continue – I cannot say enough about the cast not to mention I am in love with Cesera Borgia! Why can’t you make a movie or put it on Prime Time TV I bet more people will watch it – My husband and I have been watching it on Netflix VERY GOOD

• Joanna Backman says:

only in American can crap like The Kardashians be renewed and watched and productions like The Borgias with superb casting and story lines not be continued year after year. It’s a true shame and I am going to miss it so much!

• AHArooji says:

Same here. I got addicted to “The Borgias” about a month ago when I saw it on Netflix. It is the best I’ve ever seen so far outside of Game of Thrones. I wish they would bring it back so we could determine how it would end.

• robyn says:

Actually, they’ve cancelled quite a few things lately… The Big C is the most recent. Webtherapy.. and ahh i can’t remember the name of the show about Tara and DID.

• A.J. says:

I think this marks the beginning of the end for period drama: The age of Pillars of the Earth, Rome and The Tudors is coming to an end.

I pity the CW’s Reign.

• Sam says:

The Pillars of the Earth was never a series, it was a mini-series, meant to end when it did.

• A.J. says:

And also did Rome and The Tudors: The Borgias deserved the have the same closure. as these got to have.

• Rob says:

Rome wasn’t meant to end the way it did. It was supposed to continue for a total of 5 seasons. They had the 5 year story arc written, but HBO/BBC cancelled while they were still doing season 2, which resulted in a rushed storyline.

• JB says:

Your right! It deserves the same closure! Come join us in the #savetheborgias campaign.

• I believe it’s because the story from here on out is all about Cesare Borgia, not the Pope, therefore not Jeremy Irons, whom is to be the star and neither Showtime nor NJ thought it worthy to continue for another full season. However, history and the fans know that Cesare is far more interesting, especially when portrayed as excellently as François Arnaud has. Screw The Vatican show. Will not be watching.

• Daisey says:

Actually I think Cesare took over the show,,not to say the others weren’t great, but he was outstanding..doesn’t hurt what a handsome fellow he is….Ill truly miss this show.

• Alex says:

me neither!!!
        And you are rigth: Cesare Borgia ( in Francois Arnaud performance) was far more interesting as a character!!!!!!

• JB says:

Will not be watching “The Vatican” or anything else Showtime. Come join us in the #savetheborgias campaign.

• Sue H says:

Has anyone started a petition or taken any action to show Showtime how we feel about this? I am voting with my feet and will not watch Showtime again – but somehow, I don’t think that will have any impact. How about petitions to Showtime and Neil Jordan PERSONALLY, as I understand he had a hand in the shows demise on the basis that he was “bored” with it!

• Regina Adami says:

SaveTheBorgias.com

Yes there are a lot of things happening to try to save The Borgias!!!! The fans are uniting and we are in the thousands now! The petition is over 15,000 signatures and we are holding events to bring attention to Showtime/Nevins rude cancellation of a very loved show!

SaveTheBorgias.com is having a HUGE EVENT TODAY IN LA at the TCA Summer Press Tour where SHOWTIME will be along with the President, David Nevins.

Join us! Join our efforts! We are everywhere on the internet, with a web site, we’re on Facebook, Youtube, Tumblr…. and growing stronger every day!

• SCough says:

Anyone up set by the premature non-ending of Showtime’s The Borgias, please join us over at savetheborgias .com and on Facebook. We are a huge world wide group of fans who are totally committed to saving our show.

• Anne says:

The borgias was definately one of the best shows of the past few years. I hate that it has been cancelled.! I thought the whole cast was superb and they deserved Emmys not cancellation. More and more people are leaving the pap on the Big networks for the more interesting shows to be had on cable.

• sasha says:

Showtimes new exec is cancelling right and left.. dexter is also on its last season and us of tara cut last year…he has made some poor choices all around

• SCough says:

2. mike says:

let’s fund the movie-finale with kickstarter!!!!

• dude says:

If it was too expensive for a studio, it’s too expensive for you.

• Amy says:

Yea right like the Veronica Mars movie was to expensive for the studio.

• John says:

That’s the opposite of the point being made. VM the studio just didn’t want to make.

• rowan77 says:

Warner Bros. did want to make Veronica Mars because they thought there wasn’t a fan base anymore so they told Rob Thomas that if he can fund the production and show there IS a significant enough fan base, they’ll distribute it. I think raising over $2M is less than 11 hours on Kickstarter showed how much of a fan base there is.

• Mitholas says:

WB was never going to make a movie. The risk of losing money on a cancelled tv show was too great. Universal tried making a movie based on a cancelled tv show once. It was great. It lost money. Doesn’t make sense from a business point of view.

And a Borgias movie would need a significantly higher budget, what with sets and locations being way more elaborate and possibly not being conveniantly available in California. And that’s without even thinking about costuming.

3. Rita says:

I’m devastated :( It was currently my favourite show on television and season 3 has definitely been the best of The Borgias so far… It’s not fair they’re not even going to give the fans a movie for proper closure. I’m so sad, gosh… This is not fair, the ratings were getting better and everything…

4. wrstlgirl says:

Son of a @#!*#^*&@^*!!!!!

5. Annie says:

What about Cesare and Lucrezia and Micheletto though???

• wrstlgirl says:

Write your own ending I guess. That’s your only option it seems.

• Yago says:

time to go back to the History Books. Also, Machiavelli’s The Prince, is some how inspired on Caesarea of Borgia

• JB says:

Yes, this show has generated educational value with additional research done on the family. I have not done the stats on the increased sales figure of books like “The Prince” because of this series, but I figure it would high.

6. drhenning says:

That’s a shame but I could see it was a pretty expensive show… I have no clue how Premiums are measured because of all the ways you can watch stuff and with no advertisers to please, it doesn’t matter how subscribers enjoy it…

7. X says:

This totally blows! I love this show. It was just getting really, really good. As usual, the mucky mucks decide what they think we want to watch instead of what we actually want to watch. Jeers to Showtime.

• sarah burns says:

I can’t believe they’re canceling!!!!!!! This is the best thing on TV!! Isn’t there something we can do?

8. Daisy says:

I’m not super-surprised, but I am disappointed. It’s been fun.

• The Beach says:

I feel the same. I find the Renaissance to be one of the most fascinating periods of history and I was enjoying it a lot. But considering how expensive this must be to film, I’m not surprised either. I felt the same way about “Rome” also.

• A.J. says:

Al least Rome had closure. For what it looks like the Borgias is going to end up whenever the season finale was going to end up.

• Rodge1978 says:

I like most “history” based shows: Spartacus, Rome, Deadwood, The Tudors, and I,Claudius are some of my favorites. But, I also enjoy sci-fi and many other current shows. I just wish the showrunner would have gotten to end The Borgias the way he intended (with a final movie).

9. Meh says:

They really could have at least given us the movie. I’m sure it would not have ruined the network. Way to respect the viewers Showtime…

10. Dee says:

I am heartbroken. It was one of my all time favorites. I guess after Dexter, goodbye showtime. No ending is a horrible thing to do to fans.

• Chris says:

I think it’s time to cancel showtime ! I love this show and to end it the way they did is just wrong . We are the ones that pay extral to have showtime to watch shows like the Borgias ! I think we should drop showtime. if there is a number of us that drop it maybe the boss at showtime we think twice about canceling shows we love !

• Robin says:

I agree with you. I kept Showtime just to watch The Borgias. The execs should at least give us a movie to give us and the actors closure with the characters. I am definately cancelling Showtime. And I know my neighbors and family are going to cancel their subscriptions also. EVERYONE is very angry about this travasty!!!

• Rodge78 says:

I saw the finalé this morning on Showtime on demand. There is 0 resolution to the storylines. I cannot believe Showtime wouldn’t do a tv movie to tie up every storyline. If it wasn’t for Dexter (and maybe Ray Donovan, I saw the pilot today too) I would cancel Showtime. This new bosshole better have great shows lined up or…. Hey, if they won’t give resolution to The Borgias, why should I finish my sentence :~)

• SCough says:

Join US! Savetheborgias .com. and Save the borgias on Facebook! Sign petition and help us go forwa rd with a proper ending!

• JB says:

Rule of Supply and Demand. As long as they understand the cancellation numbers are because of the cancellation of The Borgias, it is possible. #savetheborgias

11. Guest says:

They saw the Season 3 was actually turning out okay, and proceeded to cancel it because they only stick with shows that become crap after Season 3.

12. j.martinez says:

the best show on t.v. showtime has lost its mind…..

• sarah burns says:

They really have lost their minds. Isn’t there something we can do to get them to continue the show?

• Cynthia Adams says:

I agree. I just watched the final show. I was shocked that it is over! I had showtime just for the Borgia’s! I am really bummed out. I’ll probably cancel Showtime now.

13. Steve F. says:

OK, first it was Jerry, now it’s Jeromy – unless these are his stand-ins, it should be JEREMY Irons! Scar does not approve…

14. Lynn Nipe says:

I’m heartbroken! I would love to see this show continue to it’s natural end. The quality of the story, and the excellent acting made this show #1 in my book. I wish that they would reconsider a mini-movie to tie up loose ends.

15. Angela says:

Totally devasted! My favorite show and no proper ending. It seems when shows ae canceled they should have a plan that wraps up things neatly for the fans! Another disappointment from Showtime!

16. koecike says:

:(((((((

17. Jordan says:

I am genuinely gutted by this news. I adore this show and think it is far superior to The Tudors, yet that one continued through to the end Henry VIII. I really hoped we’d get to at least the death of Alexander. Very disappointing.

18. One of the brighter aspects of this is that it lasted quite a bit of time, seasons and episodes. Before it started off you could se and feel quite a bit of potential. As the episodes came and went it just did not seem as impactful and fulfilling as it should have been. I am sure there are those, that found it overall to be thumbs up. It just felt like it was written for totally a shock-and-awe feel. A part of me is surprised it last this long. Another part of me is not surprised it did. Some things for some reason remain. One reason could have been that Showtime in recent times, years is not know for axing programs. If Showtime is going to air a series there is going to be an overall, overarching plan. All parties involved see a series going for x number of episodes and x number of seasons, at least and/or there is something that leads a show to be aired for a considerable amount of time. Who knows the exact reasons as to why now being the time to see The Borgias end? Unfortunately, it does not have the opportunity to have a sort of conclusion that is relatively satisfying or you can confidently say, yeah it had a conclusion. Perhaps Showtime (& whomever) at one point or several points want to do away with the show. Instead they collectively decide to see it through due partly to pride. Guess now, is the time where they realize it is time to stop and move on.

19. SAM says:

Darn it. :-(

20. BNorty says:

We are not amused.

21. UncleAL, says:

They should make the movie, I know they could rerun the whole series every three or four years and still get viewers to watch.

22. Martina says:

I really wished they had finished it out, or at least given it a finale movie to wrap it up. I found this series to be fascinating. Sad day

• Jacqueline says:

Show time sucks!!!. They cancel the best show ever. History involved, great character, fantastic customs and delightful music. By canceling the show no respect for the actors involve in it as well as as the viewers. Show time is not trustful at all…. Idiots

23. Em says:

Boo! It deserved a season 4, and the least they could have done was given the show a 2 hour movie.

24. WHAT??? Please nooooooooooo!!! I’m devastated!!! How can they cancel it just like that?? That’s just wrong!!! I was looking sooo forward to the fourth season :'( WHY CAN’T THEY AT LEAST MAKE THAT WRAP UP MOVIE?? COME ON!!!!!

25. Tinemi says:

It’s not like I don’t know how this historical characters ended their lifes but I would have loved to watch Jeremy Irons portraying Rodrigo’s death and to see the third and last marriage for Lucrezia and the defeat of Cesare. This actors gave life to characters I had only imagined for so long and now I’ll have to re-read the history.

26. Superhero says:

Never liked the show, so not disappointed at all about this. Hopefully The Vatican will get picked up and replace it next year; need Coach Taylor back on my television.

• Alex says:

Quizá es porque neesitas cerebro para disfrutar esta historia… no muchos lo tienen, señor “superheroe”!

27. Anna says:

Im not happy its like reading a book never to find the end ! this series has been brilliant all the way through, and this season i felt it had come into its own, truly epic . They could have at least wrapped the story up !! but as always its F@*K the people who have watched 3 years its the ratings that count and how much ad time they can promote, at the end of the day money ! ALWAYS COMES DOWN TO MONEY.

28. S. says:

As a historical fiction drama, in order to find out what happened all you need to do is pick up a history book or go on Wikipedia.

• A.Rae says:

I was just thinking the same thing!

• Shaun says:

Reading about it isn’t nearly as sexy or thrilling.

• S. says:

Of course it is. The reality of the Borgia’s is why they made the show in the first place. Secret murders, secret sex, secrets within secrets. The real story is always better because it actually happened, with none of it edited for content or dramatized for effect or ratings or to stroke a difficult actor’s ego. Real is always better.

• A.J. says:

Actually, I think this plays against historical fiction. For the 18 to 49 demographic the ending is a given and, for those who want to know how Henry VIII, the Bogias, Mary of Scotland and so on ended, all they need to do is check a book or wikipedia.

• Sara says:

I knew what really happened before I started the show. I’m not watching to get a history lesson, I’m watching because I am emotionally invested in the characters as written by Neil Jordan, portrayed by the actors that play them on the show. History doesn’t tell me how Cesare and Lucrezia’s relationship goes, or Rodrigo/Lucrezia, or Vanozza, when Micheletto comes back. Historically based, yes, but this is still fiction. And it’s unfinished.

• Clayton says:

I agree with you, Sara. Did you read Mario Puzo (“The Godfather’s author’s) last work, published posthumously? It tells you how all the characters ended up (and goes into some sexual places that even a Showtime TV show wouldn’t go between Cesare & Lucrezia, with Alexander VI watching on). But yes, I feel cheated. And even as the show started, I knew that this wouldn’t be as explicit at Mario Puzo’s last novel, “The Family.” But I found it to be terrific in quality. And like you feel CHEATED. Try Amazon.Com for “Borgia: Faith and Fear,” which is my next step. Some critics have said it’s even better (altho I can’t imagine a better Pope than Jeremy Irons), but I think that the “story arc” is at least complete, and was filmed in three seasons simulataneous to the Showtime production. Good GRIEF…what’s Showtime done for us lately, other than this TEASE?!? You better BELIEVE that I don’t subscibe to it any longer!!! :-P

29. brandy says:

In real life pope A died of likely poisening and was so bloted and discusting no one would kiss anything near him. C his son went on to live with his wife and died in war. L lived happily ever after with her third husband to a ripe old age.

• emily says:

…Lucrezia died at 39 in childbirth. And Cesare died at 31 after being imprisoned following Rodrigo’s death, escaped, and was executed on the battlefield outside Viana.

30. I agree with all that’s been said before me , sad very sad tv where the mind had a chance too be feed , tickled and drink , from all parts of its domain.

31. Emma says:

i’m crying! i’m so sad!

32. read a history book to find out the ending. Read “The Borgias”.

33. Geo says:

I wonder if Jeremy Irons’ recent boneheaded statements about women and then, later, gays played into this. I don’t know about elsewhere, but there were people all over the GLBT sites stating they weren’t going to watch the show this season after Irons’ comments on same sex marriage. It likely didn’t do the show any favors, particularly when its never been a ratings blockbuster to begin with.

• badprototype says:

Why does everything ends up being tied to something political or controversial like gay issues or same sex issues? Jeremy Irons or anyone else for that matter is entitled to their personal views and opinions if asked. Whatever their views are on real life should not be a bad reflection of their work in cinematic arts. We watch them to be entertained, do we not? Bottom line this was an excellent series of epic proportions, period, end of story. Speaking of end…Someone in charge did not take into account budgets that may be prohibiting in today’s economy. They also did not give the show enogh time to get recognized and be heard of as it finally did during the third season. Why then film in Budapest instead of locally and save some money. As for me, I am thankful I recently discovered the show and watched all 3 seasons in 3 nights because I was that hooked. Of course, just like millions of viewers, I am highly disappointed there is no proper closure to the series. Well then, maybe another network will pick it up. I barely watch TV as it is since it’s been overpowered with trashy reality shows and what not. The Borgias claimed my attention and kept me captivated. Excellent casts, directing, production, story lines, cinematography, costumes…
      As a side note: I nominate Francois Arnaud for the part of Christian Grey in 50 shades. He has the talent and being a fairly new face in Hollywood, we wouldn’t be biased as to what we think how he is going to handle this part compare to the other well known actors they are contemplating to hire for the part. Peace out everyone.

• NVWriter says:

I totally agree. People have the right to their own views. It doesn’t affect their acting ability. I think this show was interesting as I too hate all the slimy reality shows of today.

34. Avalon Rose says:

Totally devastated. Most favourite show. How can we officially complain? ????? The fans of shows have swayed producers in the past. It totally blows. :'(

35. Deborah Tarantino says:

That’s right get us all hooked on the series and then cancel it showtimes sucks What are you peoplet thinking this was one of the best series you had

36. Jane Saunders says:

Showtime is just like the Catholic Church. It’s all just about money in the end :-(

37. Jenna D. says:

A phenomenal show, perhaps Netflix would pick it up to finish. They have been creating and taking over some shows lately!!! Here’s to hoping.

• Mark says:

We concur. We think Netflix would be a good platform for Season 4 of The Borgias.

• The Beach says:

FYI…Netflix streaming is currently carrying the first two season of the series “Borgia”. It may be a Canadian production (also read it’s a French/German collaboration but it’s in English) and it’s very, very good. It might take a bit of adjustment to different actors playing the roles one is used to playing the character on Showtime but it is well worth watching…and Juan is really handsome :-)

38. Britta Unfiltered says:

No movie, huh. [Sigh].

39. jayjay says:

I think I have to come to Showtimnes defence here…BUT Jordan was the one who announced there wasn’t enough material left for a full season and HE was the one that commented that doing a full season was tiring.

In the majority of interviews I have read recently, he seemed like he was over writing and being a part of The Borgias. He could not have come across as less excited if he tried. I would have prefered Showtime let someone else be showrunner and let Jordan leave rather than cncel the whole thing but I’m pretty sure it is like 80% Jordan’s descison not to film a fourth full season. He was the one pushing for the movie because he didn’t want to do another season.

40. It would be nice for them to finish the series with a ending. The cost shouldn’t matter. Getting viewers hooked and not having a ending is not fare. :( . As a viewer we all pay good money for these channels, sometimes profit shouldn’t be everything.

• Judy Dunmire says:

I completely agree. I was about to post the same thing, but you said it well. I expect that if they made a movie to wrap up the series, they would still come out ahead – and would still have subscribers. As it is … I will cancel after Dexter’s finale. These two shows are all I watch on Showtime. So, they have given me no reason to keep them.

• tawanna says:

You took the words right out of my mouth the only reason I subscribed to Showtime was to watch The Tudors then when that went off I stayed for Dexter & The Borgias so mad there’s no season 4 all the crap t.v. out there its hard to find great shows that people with higher brain function can enjoy. I think Neil Jordan doomed the show every interview he just talks about how 10 episodes is exhausting to do and he wants to wrap it up with a movie blah blah blah, if the man in charge of the show isn’t into it why would the network keep it around? I remember when TV shows were 22 episodes a season at least and 10 is too much seriously? they didn’t seem to have that problem with The Tudors I guess this is what we get when a person use to doing movies tries to do TV not all of them can handle it. I guess when Dexter ends I’ll be cancelling Showtime.

• SCough says:

41. bako says:

Boycott Showtime ! As the pope would say: We disapprove

42. Ruby12 says:

I’m hearthbroken!!!!!!!!! this is my favorite show. What can I said………. I’m devastated !!!!!!! is not fair.

43. They’re canceling the Borgias at 3 seasons, but they let the Big C last?! Ugh! Way to let HBO win! :-P

• Lia says:

I enjoyed “The Big C,” and was glad they gave it a respectful ending. It’s a sad fact, but “period” series are much more expensive to produce. Think about what the cost difference would be for the Pope’s Jubilee garb as opposed to Nurse Jackie’s scrubs. I loved “The Borgias” and am devastated that we won’t get a proper ending, but HBO is no better–I’m still bitter that they cancelled both “Deadwood” and “Carnivale” prematurely.

44. Jacqueline says:

Show time sucks

45. Midori4 says:

It’s like HBO’s Rome just too damn expensive to make these period pieces.

How much can a pope dying in a room cost?

46. LAC says:

This is beyond disappointing. One of my favorite shows to watch for its quality and depth in both character and in narrative. One of the last dying “books on television.” This is a HUGE mistake for Showtime. I might cancel my subscription now as Nurse Jackie will not be captivating enough for me to continue paying the 30 dollars monthly for this network’s service.

47. ethel says:

I’m canceling Showtime.

48. sbstyer says:

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

49. Evelyn says:

The Borgias was an incredible series. The drama was intense. I am beyond hurt that this excellent show is canceled. Shame on Showtime!!!

50. Chris K says:

Absolutely ridiculous!!!! Shame on Showtime!!!