Happy Endings' Options Dwindling in Wake of USA Network's Failed Rescue Attempt

Get More: Cancellations

HAPPY ENDINGS - ABC's "Happy Endings" stars Adam Pally as Max, Eliza Coupe as Jane, Elisha Cuthbert as Alex, Damon Wayans, Jr. as Brad, Casey Wilson as Penny and Zachary Knighton as Dave. (ABC/BOB D'AMICO)It’s looking less likely that Happy Endings will live up to its title.

Three weeks after ABC pulled the plug on the beloved (yet under-watched) comedy, sources confirm to TVLine that the show’s Season 4 options are narrowing now that USA Network has passed on picking up the series.

PHOTOS | 30 Actors From Cancelled TV Series We Want Back on TV Now

According to Vulture, which first broke the news of the collapse in talks between Happy Endings producer Sony and USA, TBS (which famously rescued Cougar Town from ABC’s scrap heap) and NBC remain in the mix. TVLine’s sister site Deadline, meanwhile, has floated the idea Netflix or Amazon acquiring the show.

RELATED | TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s Still on the Bubble?

“Sony is still working on it,” a Happy source tells TVLine. “They’re battlers.”

But time is running out. Sony’s options on the show’s principal cast are set to expire later this month.

RELATED | Is Damon Wayans Jr. Returning to New Girl?

Thoughts? Still holding out for a miracle?

Comments (61)

• Well crap.

Comment by Zacarius (@zacarius) – June 3, 2013 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That sums it up pretty well :)

Comment by Astrid – June 3, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well…good. This season, the show was going off the rails. Loved first season. Second was OK. This season the characters except for Jane and Brad were used poorly. Alex and Dave were annoying and yet they in my mind were the central characters in season one. Great actors, hope they move on to something more worthy. Stick a fork in it, this is done.

Comment by Reality – June 3, 2013 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • save happy endings it the bets show in the world

Comment by sol – September 2, 2013 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nope. No hope left. I quit watching this year. The show was funny, but it wasn’t nearly as funny as the actors/characters seemed to think it was.

I am sorry for all the fans who are losing a favorite show. I am. But this isn’t like Cougartown, which had a stable core of fans. HE has been bleeding viewers all season. That isn’t the kind of trend USA would be happy about.

Comment by Patrick – June 3, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was also moved all around the schedule with gaps between new episodes. CougarTown would premiere and pretty much ran straight (especially when it came back midseason).

Comment by Jake – June 3, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No it’s much funnier than Cougartown or what I like to call Scrubs lite!!

Comment by Jason – June 3, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I was just about to say something like this. That show is like Scrubs, but not good…

Comment by Brian – June 3, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go Sony, go!!!! I must be the last American remaining without a Netflix subscription (I know, I’ve avoided it because Hulu kills my productivity enough) but I would seriously join for Happy Endings alone. Please tell me there’s a petition somewhere.

Comment by Marion – June 3, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally still hoping a HAIL MARY PASS will work

Comment by Dom221 – June 3, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • COME ON. I want this show back so, so bad. It’s genuinely the funniest, most fast-paced show on TV with some amazing characters.

Comment by a – June 3, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it finds a new home. The cast is great, and there is still a lot I’d like to see explored and developed (hello, Penny and Dave!).

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch (@mkroggasch) – June 3, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! I want to see Penny and Dave!

Comment by Rebecca – June 3, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see this show picked up I don’t care who lands it.

Comment by Tori Melching (@lizjaxe) – June 3, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully, this is just paving the way for TBS to acquire it, so Happy Endings can be in it’s rightful place- alongside Cougar Town.

Comment by Audrey E. – June 3, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about DirecTV doing something and airing it on the Audience Network?

Comment by Chris – June 3, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • nooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Comment by Araka Spruill Benton – June 3, 2013 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alright, I’ll move my efforts over to TBS and hope they pick it up. Time to go send some wishes to them on twitter.

Comment by M – June 3, 2013 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Worst news ever!

Comment by harry – June 3, 2013 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. So unfair! This was was easily my favorite show on tv the last couple tv seasons, nothing made me laugh as much as Happy Endings. The cast is so amazing and perfect as their characters, such a damn shame.

Comment by Weh Oeh – June 3, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • USA is dumb. They passed on this and cancelled Political Animals after only 1 season. DUMMIES.

So wake up, TBS — we want this show back. PICK IT UP!

Or how about FX — would complement IT’S ALWAYS SUNNY

Comment by WakeUpTBS – June 3, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Uh, Political Animals was a MINISERIES. Was not supposed to be renewed. Always Sunny is moving to FXX. Where it is paired with the far superior The League, which will someday takeover Always Sunny’s timeslot. Happy Endings Season 3 sucked, so I don’t really care what happens.

Comment by Zachary – June 3, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why the hell would NBC want anything to do with it? It’s pretty clear that this show isn’t going to get acceptable numbers on a broadcast network.

Comment by Superhero – June 3, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The numbers it got on ABC were higher than any of NBC’s comedies.

Comment by Midori – June 3, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This.

Comment by jalahyacinth – June 3, 2013 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And you think it would automatically do better than the other NBC comedies if moved to NBC? Unlikely. Very unlikely. The show stank up the ratings on ABC and would probably do substantially worse with a network switch. Besides, networks generally prefer to air programs that they produce in-house because someone in their corporate “family” then benefits directly from the DVD sales and syndication money (if a show reaches syndication). There are plenty of excellent reasons why networks only rarely pick up other networks’ ratings losers.

Comment by Alex – June 3, 2013 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Move Happy Endings to TBS just like it did with Cougar Town.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – June 3, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Roof stoof. NBC is doubtful, but TBS was a better fit to begin with than USA. Amazon and Netflix both make some sense as well. NOT GIVING UP HOPE YET.

Comment by Brendan – June 3, 2013 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was really surprised that USA, of all people, was interested in possibly picking it up. It seemed like an odd choice for them. TBS would be an excellent home for it, especially paired with Cougar Town. With some of NBC’s cancellations this year, it seems unlikely that they’d go for HE (but I’d love it if they would). And if Amazon or Netflix decides to pick it up, I’ll bite the bullet and finally get myself a subscription.

Comment by e – June 5, 2013 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It will return to TV just like Firefly! Never give up hope!

It’s dead people, fun show, it’s dead, move on.

Comment by Midori – June 3, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Netflix make too much sense. It would be a great gap filler till they can make new episodes of AD

Comment by ggny – June 3, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree TBS is the best fit. But, they would have done the deal by now if they were really interested.

Comment by connerc – June 3, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • New plan: pretend it was never cancelled until ABC gives in and starts making new episodes. That’s the Kerkovich way.

Comment by Brendan – June 3, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprised by this. It doesn’t really fit the USA brand which is one-hour dramas.

Comment by Abe Froman – June 3, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally surprised by this. USA is breaking into sitcoms. they needed something established to pair with Modern Family reruns this fall… plus their launching new half hour comedies this fall. USA doesn’t only do dramas anymore… Happy Endings would’ve been the perfect thing to help launch them in this area.

Comment by Eric – June 5, 2013 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Time to let it die. Season 3 was awful

Comment by Mila – June 3, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have CBS buy it and put it on the same night as Big Bang Theory.

Comment by Jesse – June 3, 2013 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damon Wayans Jr. got screwed out of millions!!! He would have been a regular on New Girl which looks to be heading to syndication money with a long five or six season run!! Hopefully they will replace the guy they replaced Damon with and add Damon back into the show!!

Comment by Jason – June 3, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s no need to replace Winston with Coach. Before Jess joined, the 4 guys shared the apartment before Winston went to Latvia if I remember that retconning correctly from episode 2. Given that Cece doesn’t live in the apartment, Coach wouldn’t have to live in the apartment either if he returned. But seriously, if Damon Wayans Jr doesn’t have a show lined up for the Fall, New Girl absolutely must get him back because Coach was hilarious in the pilot.

To be fair to DWJ, he had no idea that New Girl would be a success or that ABC would renew Happy Endings. Fox have historically cancelled sitcoms before their time, Arrested Development anyone? I’m surprised Raising Hope is still on the air to be honest. However, New Girl is a great show because Zooey Deschanel is adorable and Jake Johnson is just so funny. They have great chemistry together.

Comment by James – June 4, 2013 02:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How annoying!! It makes me so mad that crappy shows are still on the air when this hilarious show is potentially cancelled forever. TV Gods, take pity on me and rescue Happy Endings.

Comment by rachelle – June 3, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This makes me so damn sad!

Comment by Trev – June 3, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am somehow still in denial about the whole cancellation from abc news. I know it’s dead there, and I guess at USA now too, but until I don’t see it on any schedule in the fall or even winter 2014, I will not let my television experience be completely ruined by accepting this horrible completely non-happy ending to a wonderful series with terrific actors playing lovable characters.

Comment by schu – June 3, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on somebody please pick this show up!! The audience is loyal–it wasn’t great numbers, but they followed the show to Tuesdays, Sundays and Fridays! A small ABC audience could be great on a different network or even online!! Come on!!

Comment by JAMANDAFAN – June 3, 2013 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s dead, Jim.

Comment by Caitlin P – June 3, 2013 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never even seen the show, but the passion of its fans has really had me rooting for Happy Endings to find a new home. Fingers crossed.

Comment by CJ – June 3, 2013 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • C’MON NBC OR USA….BRING IT BACK!

Comment by MacLean Fitzgerald – June 3, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch this show, but I think it’s awesome that they’re battling to keep it alive! It’s this kind of passion that networks need to get.

Comment by Babybop – June 3, 2013 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have SUCH adoration for this show and the people behind it, but I just couldn’t really get into it this year. I wish they had known it would’ve definitely been the last season so that the finale could have been more resolute for the main group, but I think I’m happier that it’s ending now instead of dragging on USA until there’s absolutely no life left.

Comment by Chris Palmietto – June 3, 2013 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • :( I really thought USA would rescue this. I ADORE this show, please don’t let it go off the air!

Comment by Ella – June 3, 2013 11:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That sucks. After USA passed I really hoped another net would pick it up. It would be awesome if Netflix or amazon would step up, given their recent successes with streaming new series. Happy Endings is such a funny show that has never received its due. Bring it back, someone!!!!

Comment by Michelle Falardeau – June 4, 2013 01:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Netflix or TBS please!! I would love to have Cougar Town and Happy Endings together!

Comment by Mikael – June 4, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring it back peoples I need the show there is very little to watch.

Comment by Chris Rhodes – June 4, 2013 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring it back!!! I don’t care where I have to watch it, I just want to be able to see more of the different story lines. SERIOUSLY WHAT THE HECK IS HAPPENING BETWEEN DAVE AND PENNY!!!!! Give me a season 4, PLEASE!!! TBS, NETFLIX, AMAZON BE MY SAVIOR!!!!

Comment by Ashley Elizabeth Shaw – June 10, 2013 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m gutted to find that Happy Endings has been dropped by ABC and not accepted by USA. I’m from the UK and absolutely love this show. Sell it to us across the pond, E4 or Channel 4 will buy it! Heck, lets all chip in together and make a new TV channel with all the shows that should never have been cancelled, buy them all, get them made and start showing them!

Comment by PJ – June 14, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ong love this show please don’t cancel this show is the best thing on tv

Comment by Rob Gibb – June 18, 2013 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show, can’t believe this is canceled and new girl is still on the air. And abc has a show out called Whoduunit, really? Wth?

Comment by randy – June 22, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please please PLEASE someone pick up this show! It’s such a great show.

Comment by Casey – July 18, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE happy endings!!! Its a clever,hilarious show with wonderful unique characters!! I hope it gets picked up for many more fun seasons!! I think it even surpasses friends because its much more real and not so cliche…I adore this sweet and charming show and hopefully it will live up to its name!!!!!

Comment by Jen mckiernan – September 1, 2013 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • God I miss you #SaveHappyEndings

Comment by André Jean-Louis John-Louie – December 11, 2013 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post