Fall TV Preview

It's Official: Dan Harmon Returns to Community

DanHarmon_G4Pop, pop! Dan Harmon is officially making his way back to Greendale.

The Community creator on Saturday took to Twitter to confirm his return to the NBC comedy.

RELATED | NBC Fall Schedule: Parenthood, Revolution on the Move, Community Warms the Bench

“Yes yes yes! I’m back I’m back I’m back!” he shared with a fan begging for “a straight answer” to the week-long comeback rumors, adding: “You can thank Joel McHale.” (UPDATE: Harmon’s right-hand man, former Community EP Chris McKenna, is also returning for Season 5, Sony confirms.)

Harmon (who, based on his tweets, is clearly having fun with this rather unusual situation), brought the series’ cast in on his exciting announcement, joking:

Harmon — who parted ways with the cult comedy last year after meticulously helming its first three seasons — has yet to reveal in what capacity he’ll be involved with Community‘s upcoming run.

Is a Dan Harmon return just what Community needs, Human Beings? Hit the comments!

Comments (85)

• I actually really liked most of last season as well, but I’m still very very glad about this :D

Comment by Loose Seal – June 1, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • im completely ambivalent to harmon, ive never seen why he is treated like a god by some people when he is only one part of the bigger machine that has made great episodes for the last 4 years but if this gets all the negative people who wont stop complaining to shut up then im all for it. hopefully he doesnt just throw out everything that was done in the last season just because he wasnt involved because he is known to have an ego like that.

Comment by Alan – June 1, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He was also in the editing room to edit the episodes. And editing is just as much important to storytelling as writing the actual episode.

His idea of the show isn’t, “what funny, zany, pop culture referencing, callbacks can we do in this episode?” like it was for season 4. Plus when Dan left he took some other members of the writers staff with him, hopefully he can get them back. (I’m talking to you Dino!)

Comment by Grant Collins – June 1, 2013 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Dino wrote maybe one episode…if that…He was never a big part, so I don’t know why’d you be talking to him…..

As for Harmon, really happy he’s back but I agree that he’s no God. Season 3 had some very high highs, and some very low lows…

Comment by Josh – June 1, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • dino co-wrote the stop motion christmas episode and thats it, that is the extent of his input on that side of things so yeah its weird that thats who was talked about by the previous commenter.

Comment by Alan – June 1, 2013 04:27 PM PDT
      • He has a part in the sure if each episode, he may nt be writing it, but all story lines are run by him.

Comment by Mike R. – June 1, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • yes just like every showrunner on every show ever but he wasnt involved in most of them in any real way beyond approving the outline just like every showrunner on every show ever.

Comment by Alan – June 1, 2013 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You know nothing about what a head writer does, that’s for sure.

Comment by rowan77 – June 1, 2013 04:30 PM PDT
      • He was very e adamant about what he wanted done in each season and communicated that to the writers and directed them, but he was also open to knew ideas and was an incredibly supportive to them while also making sure stuff got done. This last season felt very all over the place and seemed to lack the discipline of the first two seasons and half the third season. Hopefully this will return with Harmon at the helm.

Comment by Alex Crouch – June 1, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Alan, He created the how and was the showrunner. It was his voice. He did rewrites on every episode (like Norman Lear always did on his shows) and was there on set as well as having the final say in the editing room. Yes he was part of a larger group, but he was the leader of that group and it was his vision and voice the others in the group were emulating.

I am glad that he is back for season 5 to help get the how’s voice back into shape.

Comment by rowan77 – June 1, 2013 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I honestly liked it, too. There were some good episodes and all that sort of thing.
      But yes, still wonderful news to have the old team back again, so to speak (aside from Chevy, of course). Thank you indeed, Joel McHale :).

Comment by Angela – June 1, 2013 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 6 seasons & a movie!

Comment by chris – June 11, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to hear/read. Hopefully show runner and main writer. And please, NBC, up it to 22 episodes?

Comment by Teag – June 1, 2013 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Harmon didn’t write that many episodes, so he doesn’t need to be the main writer.

Comment by kavyn – June 1, 2013 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He actually did have a part in writing all the episodes with the other writers, and came up with most of the story ideas, he just didn’t put his name as a credit on very many of the episodes. He talks about that on the DVD commentaries how he doesn’t feel the need to have his name on all the episodes he writes.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 1, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The story lines are his, of course – it’s his show! But it’s not fair to undermine the talent of the writing team by saying Dan Harmon did most of the work.

Comment by kavyn – June 1, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • That’s true. But through commentaries you hear basically every behind the scenes worker talk about how much of the process that Harmon was involved in. I think he was basically an uncredited co-writer/editor for every episode.

Comment by Leah – June 1, 2013 01:37 PM PDT
    • They might give it a few more episodes (depending on the ratings thought doubtful), it won’t receive a 22 episode run as a mid-season show.

Comment by Esaul – June 1, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be epic. Even if that doesn’t happen, Six seasons and a movie, PEOPLE!!!

Comment by kikiyo2011 – June 1, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And please, NBC, up it to 22 episodes?
      This. Yes.

Comment by Angela – June 1, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A part of me is convinced Season 4 was a concept series (like their concept episodes) where they jumped the shark.
    This is wonderful news.

Comment by mayiread – June 1, 2013 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The phrase ‘jump the shark’ has jumped the shark… it’s a feedback loop of shark-based acrobatics.

Comment by Floodlit World – June 1, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I tend to roll my eyes at “‘jump the shark’ has jumped the shark” (mostly because it’s become almost as overused as “jump the shark” itself), but you totally won me back with “feedback loop of shark-based acrobatics.” Well done, sir (or ma’am). Well done.

Comment by Alia – June 3, 2013 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For the record, there was an episode of Happy Days where a guy literally jumped over a shark, and it was the best one.

Comment by mj15 – June 1, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Best.

Comment by Amy (@aviddaydreamer2) – June 1, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • We know, his name is Henry Winkler. You have to be pretty young if you think most people don’t know what jumping the shark means.

Comment by ajintexas – June 1, 2013 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Maybe you just have to be really old to know what it means without looking it up on the internet.

Comment by Matthew – June 3, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s where the phrase came from.

Comment by ccat – June 2, 2013 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NBC wanted to boost the ratings for the show and fired the crazy creator. They then hired some new people to make it more like a sitcom, but it failed, big time, hugely. After failing to get better ratings by making it less crazy they realized they might as well try to get the creator back to the show.

Comment by Midori – June 1, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Has a show runner ever been fired only to be hired back? I can’t think of one.

Comment by Dryden – June 1, 2013 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hired back, yes. But don’t know to what capacity. He may not even be the the show runner.

Comment by Esaul – June 1, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think he would have to be the showrunner, because the showrunners from last season quit, which leaves them with nobody else to do the show. Besides, I don’t think he would come back unless he had creative control of the show again. He’s not interested in being on the sidelines.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 1, 2013 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Mhm. Excellent point, and I do agree with your statement. Hopefully we learn more soon.

Comment by Esaul – June 1, 2013 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 4 wasn’t bad at all, but it wasn’t as good. Harmon may be an asshole, but he is a genius.

Comment by Zachary – June 1, 2013 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as he doesn’t try to put Troy and Britta back together, I’m fine with this. Ha ha.

Comment by Babybop – June 1, 2013 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! Hated Troy and Britta together.

Comment by Loni – June 1, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I feel the same way. No more britta troy please it was not a good pair.

Comment by jane.c.l – June 1, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I used to like Troy/Britta in season 3 but they ruined them in season 4. Actually they just didn’t write them at all. We didn’t even see them together. It was such a pointless putting them together when they didn’t even give them a chance.

Comment by Kate – June 2, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THIS IS THE BEST NEWS EVER!! THANK YOU! WELCOME BACK DAN!!

Comment by PrincessD (@princessdeesha) – June 1, 2013 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t hate season 4 like some, but there was something missing, so I’m happy he is returning.

Comment by Mike R. – June 1, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here. It wasn’t awful, but there was just something off. I’m looking forward to seeing what adding Harmon back to the mix does.

Comment by Brooke – June 1, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. I would say most shows that start getting into 4, 5+ seasons have one season that’s a bit lackluster and not up to par with the rest. I’m looking forward to getting everything back on track with season 5. I’m also not sad that Pierce will be gone for season 5. He didn’t really bring much to the show. I just have to wonder what Joel McHale’s role will be next season since Jeff is no longer at Greendale.

Comment by Meg – June 1, 2013 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m betting that he will decide that the can’t be a sleazy lawyer anymore and go back to school to do something new. Either that or he will become the schools lawyer.

Comment by Harley Mills – June 3, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have watched the four seasons of Community in a row for the first time last month and I am not sure I saw a huge difference between season 3 and season 4′s quality but it is his show, I guess it is the right thing to do. Anyway I am glad I discover this show, very different from the usual comedies. Now I am wondering what season 5 will be, how will Jeff return to the gang? October can’t be soon enough!

Comment by Azerty – June 1, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Holy crap on a Snackwell! I didn’t think this would ever happen! I’m very excited! Last season took the wind out of my sails (but I see smooth sailing ahead)!

Comment by TV Gord – June 1, 2013 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 4 wasn’t unwatchable. It was somewhat worth watching, but it just wasn’t Community. It wasn’t funny. The edge was gone. I feel like the new showrunners–who were ironically hired to make the show appeal to a wider audience–just did their best to emulate the show in season 3 to not anger the fans. And it just didn’t work. Harmon goes the extra mile to make sure each script, each frame is packed with enough humor beats without losing the weight of the characters’ development (usually). With this, I feel a lot better about Community being renewed. But I’ll still miss Go On.

Comment by TigerNightmare – June 1, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And yet Season 4 was better than 3, in quality and ratings

Comment by kraw hitham (@_krawhitham) – June 1, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Season three was outstanding!

Comment by TV Gord – June 1, 2013 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No overall season 3 was better in ratings and most definitely quality, and this comes from someone who enjoyed season 4z

Comment by Mike R. – June 1, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is absolutely wonderful news! Welcome back, Dan! May you never leave again!

Comment by Sarabi – June 1, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really glad he is back. Dan Harmon is the center of community in my opinion.

Comment by Ruben van Boxel – June 1, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good. Now it can be great again and we can all forget about the crap that was season 4.

Comment by Ever – June 1, 2013 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! Thank God.

Comment by Melina Gaspar (@melinae07) – June 1, 2013 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So in the year since being fired the awe-inspiring genius that is Dan Harmon could not find another job?

Comment by kraw hitham (@_krawhitham) – June 1, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Reading this and the other comment you left, you seem to be cranky town banana pants today. (See what I did there?) I’m sorry you’re not happy about this decision and for whatever reason you seem to dislike Dan and for whatever reason you thought season 4 was better than season 3. You’re the first person I’ve ever heard say that, btw. There may be a few others of you out there who think that, but I can guarantee y’all are in the minority. And the ratings for season 4 weren’t better than season 3. By the time season 4 ended, the ratings for the show were on par with season 3.
      For the record, Dan kept pretty busy in that year he was off the show. He created an animated show that Adult Swim picked up as a series, and he had a couple of pilots that he created for CBS and Fox, and he appeared on the new season of Arrested Development, and he did a weekly stand up comedy act/podcast, and then he took that show on a countrywide tour. I attended one of those shows, and it was packed. A lot of people around here wanted to see Dan Harmon perform, so I would say he did pretty well for himself this last year. I’m not sure why you dislike him, but I think if you met him, you’d discover he’s a really nice and funny guy (a Human Being, if you will), and you’d feel bad you ran around the Internet putting him down.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 1, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think there are a lot of people who feel season four was as good as, or better than, season three. I’m one of them. It was pretty annoying having all the Harmon zealots who wrote off season four before it even began predictably crap on it from beginning to end.

That’s not to say that I’m unhappy Harmon is returning. I’m thrilled. He is after all the one responsible for the fantastic first two seasons. I’m just not about to be a kiss-ass and pretend that he’s so great that season five will automatically be better.

Comment by Kendall – June 1, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • im one of those who feel season 4 was just as good as the previous 3 and i got really sick really quickly of seeing people complain based on an opinion they formed before the season even started. im not saying harmon wasnt a big part of what made the show great but the way people talked about him made him out to be a saint, something which he definitely isnt based on the stories about what goes on behind the scenes.

Comment by Alan – June 1, 2013 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • We didn’t just arbitrarily decide to hate season four before it even began. Many of us were basing our (justified) trepidation on NBC executives at last year’s upfronts, who talked about “broadening the show’s appeal” and other such nonsense. Translated, that means dumbing it down. My big problem with season four was that they dipped into the well of the past too much, with too many callbacks to previous seasons. Harmon was not inclined to pull that sort of laziness. And anyway, why did they fall back on past episodes and storylines from previous seasons if they weren’t happy with those seasons? We had a plenty reasons to be apprehensive heading into the fourth season.

Comment by TV Gord – June 1, 2013 06:15 PM PDT
          • Alan and Kendall, while there are many who wrote off the season before it even began, I wasn’t one of them and I think it’s pretty insulting to dismiss everyone who was genuinely displeased as just disgruntled Harmonites with invalidated opinions. I was disappointed the show was delayed and I was anxiously awaiting for the show to return, but with understandably low expectations. There are very few shows I watch the same night that they air, let alone live, but Community is one of those shows that I want to watch right away. And this season has changed that. It went from appointment viewing to I’ll get to it when I get to it. I still watched every episode, but the laughs just were not there. And outside of the episode with Jeff’s dad, the characters weren’t there either. The Troy/Britta relationship was not serviced, so people just forgot they had these cute moments in season 3 and based their hate of them together this season. They just showed us that they were together, then they showed us that Troy wasn’t really happy and then it’s over as if nothing happened. And the line, “We finally figured out a way to make paintball interesting again,” made me roll my eyes. There’s much work to be done to make the show entertaining again and I hope Harmon can do it.

Comment by TigerNightmare – June 2, 2013 04:30 AM PDT
  • Brilliant! Season 4 was a real bummer and a bad attempt at reaching a wider audience. Let’s go back to the roots and find something to Jenga.

Comment by Danny – June 1, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last season was great… But this awesome!!!!!

Comment by Dex P – June 1, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is amazing news,also with renewing Hannibal Nbc came to their senses.

Comment by Aleksandar Bobic – June 1, 2013 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Exciting awesome news, this is far from the darkest timeline.

Comment by Raftrap – June 1, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope season five opens with the gang going to Pierce’s home to look for him. They go to the running shower to find…Bobby Ewing! Season four was all a dream (well, a nightmare)!

Comment by TV Gord – June 1, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This made me :-). I agree with the others commenters who said that season 4 was ok but it was missing something, the intangible essence that made Community great. I hope that Dan Harmon was that thing. I have to say though, there were outstanding pieces to S4. Who else cried when Jeff confronted his Dad about being broken?

Comment by Lucy – June 1, 2013 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the best thing that has happened to the world. I do not kid. NBC Unbritta’d it.

Comment by Raksha – June 1, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *Entering the room with a flourish and a Carmen Miranda fruit hat*
    “Dean-lightful to see you again, Dan!”
    *Exits*

Comment by Dean Craig Pelton – June 1, 2013 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guess we all know what that means: NO MORE CHEVY CHASE

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – June 1, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chase had already quit, so I’m not sure what your point is.

Comment by TV Gord – June 1, 2013 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great news, just fabulous. I really despised season 4, but stayed with it until the end because I felt the actors deserved that from their fans. But I won’t buy season 4 on DVD as I did the other seasons, and I won’t be watching any of the episodes if they show up on Comedy Central. It just wasn’t funny to me personally.
    Dan is such an interesting guy to me. I’ve read his blog, and listened to many of his Harmontown podcasts, and even met him in person, and I am just fascinated with him. He has a tenacity and a positive outlook on life that I never have been able to learn to grasp for myself. He never lets things keep him down for long. I used to be a writer, and majored in film in college with an emphasis in screenwriting, and had big dreams of working in Hollywood writing teleplays and screenplays and even wrote a few spec scripts for a few TV shows. But I gave that up long ago because I lacked the tenacity and the positive attitude to not let the failures and the criticism get me down. Truthfully, I probably also lacked the talent. Ha. And that’s another thing I really admire about Dan is his mad scientist talent for comedy writing. He knows how to make comedy inventive and original and funny. I can only dream of being able to write the way he does.
    I am so happy to see him back, and I’m sure season 5 of Community will be really good, and I hope things go well for him personally as he leads us through season 5. I shall celebrate this wonderful news tonight by eating kettle corn (a fun time snack) and drinking no-no juice.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 1, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! I’m so excited! I can’t wait for next season. I wonder if any of the writers and producers that jumped ship at the end of 3 will come back, too? They lost lots and lots of crew members that people who don’t listen to the commentaries have probably never heard of.

Comment by Leah – June 1, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC is a dog with its tail between its legs.

Comment by cjeffery7 – June 1, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! This news has made me excited to see season 5 :D seasons 1-3 of community was amazing – where season 4 kinda made me feel depressed at what had been lost

Comment by nicole – June 1, 2013 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hated every episode of season 4. It just felt wrong on all levels and I had decided not to watch season 5. Now I think I will.

Comment by Liz – June 1, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someone should replace Chase as the older member of the group, but who? Maybe someone connected to SNL, like when Levitz replaced Hartman in Newsradio?

Comment by Michael Sacal – June 1, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is what I kept hoping for for the West Wing years ago; I would never actually expect something like this to happen. Awesome news!

Comment by popculture420 – June 1, 2013 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope he’s learned something about manners, which is the way you treat people. You can be very talented but if you are a jerk, you’re just a jerk. There have been plenty of them in show business. Still, I personally feel that Dan Harmon is NOT talented enough to go without learning some manners. He’s not that guy.

Comment by bobbie – June 1, 2013 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why would he have “learned something about manners”? He does things his way. That’s why he has issues with executives and jerky actors (Chevy Chase). They try to get their mitts on his vision and he doesn’t allow it. Being true to himself seems to have worked out well. He does what he wants and has the respect of his fans.

Comment by Harley Mills – June 3, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • him being a horrible person to work with was pretty much the reason they got rid of him in the first place, so yeah it would be good if he learned how to treat other people like human beings for once.

Comment by Alan – June 3, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes, I’m sure you know personally what it’s like to work with him and what the cast and writers have said don’t mean a thing.

Comment by TigerNightmare – June 4, 2013 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad he is back. I watched the first three seasons over and over and hated season 4, despite the cast. The writing was so sentimental and soppy. I would start watching and hardly finished one episode. I am surprised that fans liked it. it was the same reoccurring themes that did not move the show forward. I’m going to pretend season 4 was a bad dream!

Comment by ccat – June 2, 2013 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GREAT DECISION!!!!

Comment by rachelle – June 2, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best decision ever. I stopped watching half way through season 4 it was so bad.

Comment by Kate – June 2, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSSSSSS. I am so thankful I don’t have to suffer through another of whatever season four was. :DD

Comment by Wendy – June 2, 2013 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought last season was okay story-wise and had great moments, but the overall pace was a bit weird at times. Having Dan Harmon back shouldn’t hurt.

Comment by Quinn Mallory – June 2, 2013 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post