It's Official: Dan Harmon Returns to Community

DanHarmon_G4Pop, pop! Dan Harmon is officially making his way back to Greendale.

The Community creator on Saturday took to Twitter to confirm his return to the NBC comedy.

RELATED | NBC Fall Schedule: Parenthood, Revolution on the Move, Community Warms the Bench

“Yes yes yes! I’m back I’m back I’m back!” he shared with a fan begging for “a straight answer” to the week-long comeback rumors, adding: “You can thank Joel McHale.” (UPDATE: Harmon’s right-hand man, former Community EP Chris McKenna, is also returning for Season 5, Sony confirms.)

Harmon (who, based on his tweets, is clearly having fun with this rather unusual situation), brought the series’ cast in on his exciting announcement, joking:

Harmon — who parted ways with the cult comedy last year after meticulously helming its first three seasons — has yet to reveal in what capacity he’ll be involved with Community‘s upcoming run.

Is a Dan Harmon return just what Community needs, Human Beings? Hit the comments!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Contract Talks, Fall TV Preview

1. Loose Seal says:

I actually really liked most of last season as well, but I’m still very very glad about this :D

• Alan says:

im completely ambivalent to harmon, ive never seen why he is treated like a god by some people when he is only one part of the bigger machine that has made great episodes for the last 4 years but if this gets all the negative people who wont stop complaining to shut up then im all for it. hopefully he doesnt just throw out everything that was done in the last season just because he wasnt involved because he is known to have an ego like that.

• He was also in the editing room to edit the episodes. And editing is just as much important to storytelling as writing the actual episode.

His idea of the show isn’t, “what funny, zany, pop culture referencing, callbacks can we do in this episode?” like it was for season 4. Plus when Dan left he took some other members of the writers staff with him, hopefully he can get them back. (I’m talking to you Dino!)

• Josh says:

Dino wrote maybe one episode…if that…He was never a big part, so I don’t know why’d you be talking to him…..

As for Harmon, really happy he’s back but I agree that he’s no God. Season 3 had some very high highs, and some very low lows…

• Alan says:

dino co-wrote the stop motion christmas episode and thats it, that is the extent of his input on that side of things so yeah its weird that thats who was talked about by the previous commenter.

• Mike R. says:

He has a part in the sure if each episode, he may nt be writing it, but all story lines are run by him.

• Alan says:

yes just like every showrunner on every show ever but he wasnt involved in most of them in any real way beyond approving the outline just like every showrunner on every show ever.

• Alex Crouch says:

He was very e adamant about what he wanted done in each season and communicated that to the writers and directed them, but he was also open to knew ideas and was an incredibly supportive to them while also making sure stuff got done. This last season felt very all over the place and seemed to lack the discipline of the first two seasons and half the third season. Hopefully this will return with Harmon at the helm.

• rowan77 says:

Alan, He created the how and was the showrunner. It was his voice. He did rewrites on every episode (like Norman Lear always did on his shows) and was there on set as well as having the final say in the editing room. Yes he was part of a larger group, but he was the leader of that group and it was his vision and voice the others in the group were emulating.

I am glad that he is back for season 5 to help get the how’s voice back into shape.

• Angela says:

I honestly liked it, too. There were some good episodes and all that sort of thing.
      But yes, still wonderful news to have the old team back again, so to speak (aside from Chevy, of course). Thank you indeed, Joel McHale :).

• chris says:

6 seasons & a movie!

2. Teag says:

Glad to hear/read. Hopefully show runner and main writer. And please, NBC, up it to 22 episodes?

• kavyn says:

Harmon didn’t write that many episodes, so he doesn’t need to be the main writer.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

He actually did have a part in writing all the episodes with the other writers, and came up with most of the story ideas, he just didn’t put his name as a credit on very many of the episodes. He talks about that on the DVD commentaries how he doesn’t feel the need to have his name on all the episodes he writes.

• kavyn says:

The story lines are his, of course – it’s his show! But it’s not fair to undermine the talent of the writing team by saying Dan Harmon did most of the work.

• Leah says:

That’s true. But through commentaries you hear basically every behind the scenes worker talk about how much of the process that Harmon was involved in. I think he was basically an uncredited co-writer/editor for every episode.

• Esaul says:

They might give it a few more episodes (depending on the ratings thought doubtful), it won’t receive a 22 episode run as a mid-season show.

• kikiyo2011 says:

That would be epic. Even if that doesn’t happen, Six seasons and a movie, PEOPLE!!!

• Angela says:

And please, NBC, up it to 22 episodes?
      This. Yes.

3. mayiread says:

A part of me is convinced Season 4 was a concept series (like their concept episodes) where they jumped the shark.
    This is wonderful news.

• The phrase ‘jump the shark’ has jumped the shark… it’s a feedback loop of shark-based acrobatics.

• Alia says:

I tend to roll my eyes at “‘jump the shark’ has jumped the shark” (mostly because it’s become almost as overused as “jump the shark” itself), but you totally won me back with “feedback loop of shark-based acrobatics.” Well done, sir (or ma’am). Well done.

• mj15 says:

For the record, there was an episode of Happy Days where a guy literally jumped over a shark, and it was the best one.

• Midori says:

NBC wanted to boost the ratings for the show and fired the crazy creator. They then hired some new people to make it more like a sitcom, but it failed, big time, hugely. After failing to get better ratings by making it less crazy they realized they might as well try to get the creator back to the show.

4. Dryden says:

Has a show runner ever been fired only to be hired back? I can’t think of one.

• Esaul says:

Hired back, yes. But don’t know to what capacity. He may not even be the the show runner.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I think he would have to be the showrunner, because the showrunners from last season quit, which leaves them with nobody else to do the show. Besides, I don’t think he would come back unless he had creative control of the show again. He’s not interested in being on the sidelines.

5. Zachary says:

Season 4 wasn’t bad at all, but it wasn’t as good. Harmon may be an asshole, but he is a genius.

6. Babybop says:

As long as he doesn’t try to put Troy and Britta back together, I’m fine with this. Ha ha.

• Loni says:

I agree! Hated Troy and Britta together.

• Kate says:

I used to like Troy/Britta in season 3 but they ruined them in season 4. Actually they just didn’t write them at all. We didn’t even see them together. It was such a pointless putting them together when they didn’t even give them a chance.

7. THIS IS THE BEST NEWS EVER!! THANK YOU! WELCOME BACK DAN!!

8. Mike R. says:

I didn’t hate season 4 like some, but there was something missing, so I’m happy he is returning.

• Brooke says:

Same here. It wasn’t awful, but there was just something off. I’m looking forward to seeing what adding Harmon back to the mix does.

• Meg says:

Exactly. I would say most shows that start getting into 4, 5+ seasons have one season that’s a bit lackluster and not up to par with the rest. I’m looking forward to getting everything back on track with season 5. I’m also not sad that Pierce will be gone for season 5. He didn’t really bring much to the show. I just have to wonder what Joel McHale’s role will be next season since Jeff is no longer at Greendale.

• Harley Mills says:

I’m betting that he will decide that the can’t be a sleazy lawyer anymore and go back to school to do something new. Either that or he will become the schools lawyer.

9. Azerty says:

I have watched the four seasons of Community in a row for the first time last month and I am not sure I saw a huge difference between season 3 and season 4’s quality but it is his show, I guess it is the right thing to do. Anyway I am glad I discover this show, very different from the usual comedies. Now I am wondering what season 5 will be, how will Jeff return to the gang? October can’t be soon enough!

10. TV Gord says:

Holy crap on a Snackwell! I didn’t think this would ever happen! I’m very excited! Last season took the wind out of my sails (but I see smooth sailing ahead)!

11. Season 4 wasn’t unwatchable. It was somewhat worth watching, but it just wasn’t Community. It wasn’t funny. The edge was gone. I feel like the new showrunners–who were ironically hired to make the show appeal to a wider audience–just did their best to emulate the show in season 3 to not anger the fans. And it just didn’t work. Harmon goes the extra mile to make sure each script, each frame is packed with enough humor beats without losing the weight of the characters’ development (usually). With this, I feel a lot better about Community being renewed. But I’ll still miss Go On.

12. Sarabi says:

This is absolutely wonderful news! Welcome back, Dan! May you never leave again!

13. I’m really glad he is back. Dan Harmon is the center of community in my opinion.

14. Ever says:

Good. Now it can be great again and we can all forget about the crap that was season 4.

15. So in the year since being fired the awe-inspiring genius that is Dan Harmon could not find another job?

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Reading this and the other comment you left, you seem to be cranky town banana pants today. (See what I did there?) I’m sorry you’re not happy about this decision and for whatever reason you seem to dislike Dan and for whatever reason you thought season 4 was better than season 3. You’re the first person I’ve ever heard say that, btw. There may be a few others of you out there who think that, but I can guarantee y’all are in the minority. And the ratings for season 4 weren’t better than season 3. By the time season 4 ended, the ratings for the show were on par with season 3.
      For the record, Dan kept pretty busy in that year he was off the show. He created an animated show that Adult Swim picked up as a series, and he had a couple of pilots that he created for CBS and Fox, and he appeared on the new season of Arrested Development, and he did a weekly stand up comedy act/podcast, and then he took that show on a countrywide tour. I attended one of those shows, and it was packed. A lot of people around here wanted to see Dan Harmon perform, so I would say he did pretty well for himself this last year. I’m not sure why you dislike him, but I think if you met him, you’d discover he’s a really nice and funny guy (a Human Being, if you will), and you’d feel bad you ran around the Internet putting him down.

• Kendall says:

I think there are a lot of people who feel season four was as good as, or better than, season three. I’m one of them. It was pretty annoying having all the Harmon zealots who wrote off season four before it even began predictably crap on it from beginning to end.

That’s not to say that I’m unhappy Harmon is returning. I’m thrilled. He is after all the one responsible for the fantastic first two seasons. I’m just not about to be a kiss-ass and pretend that he’s so great that season five will automatically be better.

• Alan says:

im one of those who feel season 4 was just as good as the previous 3 and i got really sick really quickly of seeing people complain based on an opinion they formed before the season even started. im not saying harmon wasnt a big part of what made the show great but the way people talked about him made him out to be a saint, something which he definitely isnt based on the stories about what goes on behind the scenes.

• TV Gord says:

We didn’t just arbitrarily decide to hate season four before it even began. Many of us were basing our (justified) trepidation on NBC executives at last year’s upfronts, who talked about “broadening the show’s appeal” and other such nonsense. Translated, that means dumbing it down. My big problem with season four was that they dipped into the well of the past too much, with too many callbacks to previous seasons. Harmon was not inclined to pull that sort of laziness. And anyway, why did they fall back on past episodes and storylines from previous seasons if they weren’t happy with those seasons? We had a plenty reasons to be apprehensive heading into the fourth season.

• Alan and Kendall, while there are many who wrote off the season before it even began, I wasn’t one of them and I think it’s pretty insulting to dismiss everyone who was genuinely displeased as just disgruntled Harmonites with invalidated opinions. I was disappointed the show was delayed and I was anxiously awaiting for the show to return, but with understandably low expectations. There are very few shows I watch the same night that they air, let alone live, but Community is one of those shows that I want to watch right away. And this season has changed that. It went from appointment viewing to I’ll get to it when I get to it. I still watched every episode, but the laughs just were not there. And outside of the episode with Jeff’s dad, the characters weren’t there either. The Troy/Britta relationship was not serviced, so people just forgot they had these cute moments in season 3 and based their hate of them together this season. They just showed us that they were together, then they showed us that Troy wasn’t really happy and then it’s over as if nothing happened. And the line, “We finally figured out a way to make paintball interesting again,” made me roll my eyes. There’s much work to be done to make the show entertaining again and I hope Harmon can do it.

16. Danny says:

Brilliant! Season 4 was a real bummer and a bad attempt at reaching a wider audience. Let’s go back to the roots and find something to Jenga.

17. Dex P says:

Last season was great… But this awesome!!!!!

18. This is amazing news,also with renewing Hannibal Nbc came to their senses.

19. Raftrap says:

Exciting awesome news, this is far from the darkest timeline.

20. TV Gord says:

I hope season five opens with the gang going to Pierce’s home to look for him. They go to the running shower to find…Bobby Ewing! Season four was all a dream (well, a nightmare)!

21. Lucy says:

This made me :-). I agree with the others commenters who said that season 4 was ok but it was missing something, the intangible essence that made Community great. I hope that Dan Harmon was that thing. I have to say though, there were outstanding pieces to S4. Who else cried when Jeff confronted his Dad about being broken?

22. Raksha says:

This is the best thing that has happened to the world. I do not kid. NBC Unbritta’d it.

23. Dean Craig Pelton says:

*Entering the room with a flourish and a Carmen Miranda fruit hat*
    “Dean-lightful to see you again, Dan!”
    *Exits*

24. Guess we all know what that means: NO MORE CHEVY CHASE

25. Britta Unfiltered says:

This is great news, just fabulous. I really despised season 4, but stayed with it until the end because I felt the actors deserved that from their fans. But I won’t buy season 4 on DVD as I did the other seasons, and I won’t be watching any of the episodes if they show up on Comedy Central. It just wasn’t funny to me personally.
    Dan is such an interesting guy to me. I’ve read his blog, and listened to many of his Harmontown podcasts, and even met him in person, and I am just fascinated with him. He has a tenacity and a positive outlook on life that I never have been able to learn to grasp for myself. He never lets things keep him down for long. I used to be a writer, and majored in film in college with an emphasis in screenwriting, and had big dreams of working in Hollywood writing teleplays and screenplays and even wrote a few spec scripts for a few TV shows. But I gave that up long ago because I lacked the tenacity and the positive attitude to not let the failures and the criticism get me down. Truthfully, I probably also lacked the talent. Ha. And that’s another thing I really admire about Dan is his mad scientist talent for comedy writing. He knows how to make comedy inventive and original and funny. I can only dream of being able to write the way he does.
    I am so happy to see him back, and I’m sure season 5 of Community will be really good, and I hope things go well for him personally as he leads us through season 5. I shall celebrate this wonderful news tonight by eating kettle corn (a fun time snack) and drinking no-no juice.

26. Leah says:

Yes! I’m so excited! I can’t wait for next season. I wonder if any of the writers and producers that jumped ship at the end of 3 will come back, too? They lost lots and lots of crew members that people who don’t listen to the commentaries have probably never heard of.

27. cjeffery7 says:

NBC is a dog with its tail between its legs.

28. nicole says:

YAY! This news has made me excited to see season 5 :D seasons 1-3 of community was amazing – where season 4 kinda made me feel depressed at what had been lost

29. Liz says:

I hated every episode of season 4. It just felt wrong on all levels and I had decided not to watch season 5. Now I think I will.

30. Someone should replace Chase as the older member of the group, but who? Maybe someone connected to SNL, like when Levitz replaced Hartman in Newsradio?

31. This is what I kept hoping for for the West Wing years ago; I would never actually expect something like this to happen. Awesome news!

32. bobbie says:

I hope he’s learned something about manners, which is the way you treat people. You can be very talented but if you are a jerk, you’re just a jerk. There have been plenty of them in show business. Still, I personally feel that Dan Harmon is NOT talented enough to go without learning some manners. He’s not that guy.

• Harley Mills says:

Why would he have “learned something about manners”? He does things his way. That’s why he has issues with executives and jerky actors (Chevy Chase). They try to get their mitts on his vision and he doesn’t allow it. Being true to himself seems to have worked out well. He does what he wants and has the respect of his fans.

• Alan says:

him being a horrible person to work with was pretty much the reason they got rid of him in the first place, so yeah it would be good if he learned how to treat other people like human beings for once.

33. ccat says:

I’m so glad he is back. I watched the first three seasons over and over and hated season 4, despite the cast. The writing was so sentimental and soppy. I would start watching and hardly finished one episode. I am surprised that fans liked it. it was the same reoccurring themes that did not move the show forward. I’m going to pretend season 4 was a bad dream!

34. rachelle says:

GREAT DECISION!!!!

35. Kate says:

Best decision ever. I stopped watching half way through season 4 it was so bad.

36. Wendy says:

YESSSSSSS. I am so thankful I don’t have to suffer through another of whatever season four was. :DD

37. Quinn Mallory says:

I thought last season was okay story-wise and had great moments, but the overall pace was a bit weird at times. Having Dan Harmon back shouldn’t hurt.