Fall TV Preview

Fall TV Trailer: The CW's Star-Crossed Lovers Can't Deny Their Feelings

This love is outta this world.

The CW has released a full trailer for Star-Crossed, its alien-meets-human love story starring Aimee Teegarden (Friday Night Lights) and Matt Lanter (90210) and premiering midseason.

RELATED | Fall TV Schedule 2013 — What’s On When? And Against What?

The romance kicks off when Lanter’s otherworldly cute teenage boy and eight others of his kind are integrated into a suburban high school. There, he crosses paths with Teegarden’s sweet-natured gal, with whom he happens to already have a past. And despite being part of rival species, dealing with angry protesters and judgey friends, the two are drawn to each other all over again.

Press PLAY to watch a preview for the new drama and then hit the comments with your thoughts.

Comments (89)

• Oh god this looks horrible. The Vampire Diaries succeeds because it places an emphasis on story AND character. This seems to be all about character with no real plot.

Comment by Sam – May 30, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Vampire Diaries hasn’t succeeded since S2. This looks promising. I’m gonna give it a shot.

Comment by Shawn Brumell – May 30, 2013 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nope, season three was awesome. Wayy better than season two.

Comment by dude – May 31, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Season 3 was crap every episode was “We have to Klaus”. It was the most annoying plot ever.

Comment by Diva – May 31, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • “We have to kill Klaus”

Comment by Diva – May 31, 2013 03:11 PM PDT
        • Wow I seriously never saw someone that thought season 3 was better than season 2….

Comment by Fran – June 2, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Remember, this is all just from the pilot, so there’s obviously going to be a lot more character than plot. A pilot with more plot than character is a sure way to kill a show – people may check out a show with a cool premise, but they come back for week 2 because they care about the people.

Comment by wordsmith – May 31, 2013 12:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Umm… I hate to say this but does anyone else feel like Lanter is starting to look a little too old to play a teenager, even by CW standards? I mean he’s still extremely good looking and everything, but it feels like he should actually be playing characters who are in their twenties by this point.

Comment by Regal – May 30, 2013 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, he is very good looking, but too old.

Comment by Melanie – May 30, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True. Dude is 30.

Comment by Morgan – May 30, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d tend to agree, but in this case he’s playing an alien, so it matters less what age he looks, so long as the romance isn’t totally implausible (if he looked 40, then I’d start to be worried)

Comment by wordsmith – May 31, 2013 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Roswell much?

Comment by Adam – May 30, 2013 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto!

Comment by LaurenTVEA (@LaurenTVEA) – May 30, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My first thought too.

Comment by Melanie – May 30, 2013 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This.

Comment by Alichat – May 30, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly.

Comment by Maddy – May 30, 2013 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I commented the same thing before reading your post.

Comment by Morgan – May 30, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yours and the thought of every person who’s read an article on this website about this show. I am SO SICK of seeing this comment.

Comment by brycealexander – May 30, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes but Roswell had better actors.

Comment by dee123 – May 30, 2013 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly what I was thinking, except this show doesn’t look like it has the heart that kept Roswell going for 3 seasons (granted it’s difficult to tell by a preview, but I’m not sure I’m interested in a bad remake).

Comment by Kristina – May 30, 2013 10:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In a lot of ways, you’re obviously right, but the fact that the E.T.s are openly known by everyone from the start puts a very different spin on things – it’s more like District 9 with prettier aliens. Think of it like the difference between Vampire Diaries and True Blood – same romance, very different world.

Comment by wordsmith – May 31, 2013 12:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly!! That was the first thing I thought! It’s Roswell, except they know they’re aliens.

Nope.

Comment by lisa – May 31, 2013 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly, and Roswell was kind of cute, so there’s no need to do it again!

Comment by Lucy – May 31, 2013 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Max and Liz!!! Oh wait, wrong show.

Comment by Dennis – May 30, 2013 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh God. This looks horrible. Can’t wait.

Comment by Tricia – May 30, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly!’ Definitely could become a guilty pleasure.

Comment by Hmmmm – May 30, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I mean is TheCw, who cares if is trash, we are gonna give it a try anyway

Comment by Lorena – May 30, 2013 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not gonna lie the pilot looks pretty bad… BUT I have this weird sense of loyalty to the CW so ill definitely check it out… like I do with all CW shows!

Comment by Elyse – May 31, 2013 01:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I feel the same way haha! I even tried to watch Oh Sit!

Comment by Fabe – May 31, 2013 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This puts me in the mind of Roswell with a little Kyle XY thrown in. It will probably get the 3 episode treatment in my house.

Comment by Nunaya_Bidness – May 30, 2013 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um ever heard of a show called roswell? This show is just basically a rip off of that.

Comment by Lindsay – May 30, 2013 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope this is half as good as Roswell, but judging by this trailer it won’t be.

Comment by Steven – May 30, 2013 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m interested in the show from what I’ve read about it, but that trailer doesn’t do it any help at all. What a terrible trailer.

Comment by Nessie – May 30, 2013 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To clarify, I don’t think the footage looks bad, I think the way it was cut together with the text is terrible.

Comment by Nessie – May 30, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Somewhere, Garrus Vakarian hangs his head in shame

Comment by madbengalsfan85 – May 30, 2013 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • +1

Comment by elle – May 30, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why? Because he’s embarrassed on behalf of all aliens? I seem to recall Garrus being quite the poster child for awkward cross-species sexual tension.

Comment by wordsmith – May 31, 2013 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it looks interesting. It actually doesn’t remind me of Roswell at all other than them being Aliens.

Comment by S – May 30, 2013 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree (on a side note, when did it become unpopular to say that??). It has the same basic premise but could be interesting if done differently. The trailer doesn’t do it too much justice though.

Comment by Fran – May 30, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Roswell redux?

Comment by Morgan – May 30, 2013 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • STOP COMMENTING ABOUT ROSWELL okay we get it

Comment by brycealexander – May 30, 2013 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man 30 years old Aliens in high school…what will they think of next!?

Comment by Josh – May 30, 2013 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t watch Roswell but weren’t the aliens on that show a secret (correct me if I’m wrong)?

Comment by Fran – May 30, 2013 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, they were. A lot of the plot lines dealt with them trying to hide from the government.

Comment by Regal – May 30, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks! I thought so and was wondering why everyone thought it was exactly like Roswell. Other than the alien and human love, I don’t see much comparison.

Comment by Fran – May 31, 2013 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think the point is, we’ve already had a show about alien teenagers in high school and it was done well. What’s the point in creating another? Especially when it doesn’t look nearly as good.

Comment by dude – May 31, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Whats the point of most of these shows though? We already had a show about vampires and witches in high school so why was the Vampire Diaries made? I dont buy that argument, that just doesn’t really work for me.

Comment by Fran – June 2, 2013 07:23 AM PDT
  • I may be the history nerd here but this reminds me so much of the Little Rock 9. It had to be purposeful, the imagery when they’re at the high school is just too similar for it not to be. (Dont believe me? Look it up, promise!) But anyway I’m interested in the show, there’s my rant :)

Comment by Josclyn – May 30, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it’s supposed to evoke that. (Though that fact may be lost on a decent chunk of the CW’s core audience.)

Comment by Regal – May 30, 2013 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah I do think it’s supposed to invoke that…though I find it hilarious that they’re doing that with all pretty white people.

Poor Bonnie from TVD, the only major character on the CW who isn’t white(or is a Hispanic who looks very white)

Comment by Josh – May 30, 2013 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You must not watch CW then, cause every show has black/minority actors/acresess.Tristan Wilds,(90210) is black,Jessica Parker Kennedy (SC,90210 briefly) is black, Jessica Schzor and characters of Russell and Raina Thorpe(Gossip Girl),Freemya(Larissa on Carrie Diaries),Robbie Jones(OtH,90210 briefly,Hellcats),Micheal Steger (90210) is perisian,Kritin Kruek(Smallville,BatB) is minority,Maggie Q on Nikita is Asian, characters of Tumelo and female on Life is Wild,Wayne Brady &,Aishia Tyler on Whose Line,Joes and Tess (Ninia Lissandro) on BaTB,characters of Tyra,Cheif, &Dr Gina Bindari on Emily Owens MD,characters of Alice &,Vanessa on Hellcats,Stephanie Jacobson of Melrose Place 2009,Corbin Blu on Beautiful Life, Americas Next Top Model has Tya Banks,Jay Alexander,Andre Leon Talley plus bunch of contestants but the ones I can name atm are :Eva,Toccara,Robyn,Camille,Ebony,Xiomara,April,Mercedes.Hart if Dixie has Cress Williams( whos black ) as Lavon and Golden Brooks as Ruby( shes black too).Smallville had Lana Lang and Pete( black guy) as minority characters.Jessica Lucas is black and starred on Melrose Place 2009 &Cult.Vampire Diaries has Kat Grahm as Bonnie, plus the characters of Pearl,Shelia “Grams”,bonnies dad,Abby.

Comment by Brandy – May 31, 2013 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely! It has much much more in common with that than with Roswell.

Comment by MaryAnn – May 30, 2013 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you think the writer’s are that deep? I like to think so, but I’m not so sure…

Comment by Melanie – May 30, 2013 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Julie Taylor, how you’ve changed.

This trailer is trying so hard. I can’t tell if its the show itself or the trailer thats rubbing me the wrong way. I’ll check out the Pilot, because I’m curious about this wave of sci-fi/fantasy show the CW is trying on.

Comment by Sam – May 30, 2013 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This looks intriguing and I am definitely going to give it a chance. The only thing bothering me is needing an explanation as to why the aliens look so much like us. There is absolutely no way that could ever happen unless the two species were somehow related in their far distant history.

Comment by MaryAnn – May 30, 2013 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This trailer is such a disappointment! Horrible. I can see already that these 2 characters have no chemistry. I watch this trailer and immediately don’t care about whether they are together. That right there is an epic fail!!

Comment by MonicaF – May 30, 2013 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The two little kids have more chemistry than Amy and Matt! Bad sign!

Comment by MonicaF – May 30, 2013 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to this! Sick of the Roswell comments. I watched Roswell and loved it. This is a mixture of Roswell / District 9 but it is stil it’s own show. Can’t wait til midseason!

Comment by Raina – May 30, 2013 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, these comments make me feel old in my mid 30′s, cuz my first thought was Starman. That’s a movie from the 80′s for you youngins out there. Then my next thought was that stupid movie 9 or something about some alien kids who came here and were hunted by their parents opposition. Don’t really remember cuz it was bad.

Comment by Dan Sorenson – May 30, 2013 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think you’re thinking of I Am Number Four

Comment by wordsmith – May 31, 2013 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The title of the show irritates me more than anything else.Star-Crossed? Seriously? For all those talking about Roswell, yes Roswell was a far superior show. Roswell worked because no one knew they were aliens and it had a element of suspense to it. This show just seems like it’s missing a spark of some sort to make me even care about it.

Comment by Dee – May 30, 2013 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who thinks that this actually looks really good? I love this trailer in comparison to the little preview we got before. Does anyone know if more trailers like these from th CW will b released? Rather than the little previews we got before?

And I also hope, just for the sake of it, that every hater gets slapped on their fingers when they see the show. I think this show actually will shock you. Hopefully :)

Comment by Adam – May 30, 2013 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow..Star Crossed looks horrible but so did the trailer for Beauty and the Beast and that has become one of my favorite new shows. Cool concept..Looking forward to watching!

Comment by JJ – May 30, 2013 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t call BatB one of my favorites, but it is a guilty pleasure. And I agree… the trailer for that was so horrible I didn’t even want to watch, so it was a nice surprise that it turned out to be a much better show than I expected. Maybe Star-Crossed will also turn out to be decent despite this horrid trailer.

Comment by Mo – May 31, 2013 12:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IT ISN’T A ROSWELL COPY CAUSE IT’S ABOUT ALIENS AND LOVE.
    Everyone said that Emily Owens would be a Grey’s Anatomy copy and it was very far from it and was still very good. I love the Cast and I will give the show an oppurtunity for sure.

Comment by Maki – May 30, 2013 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And cancelled really fast.

Comment by Bass Drum – May 31, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know who the actress is but I really dislike the female lead in this. It just seems like she can’t convey emotion at all.

Comment by Maria Varaeva (@springdawnin) – May 30, 2013 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This just makes me want to rewatch Roswell! It was so good!

Comment by JAmandaFan – May 30, 2013 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to like this and hope that the pilot is better than the trailer. Right now it looks like the lead actress can’t act. Also the two leads appear to have no chemistry. Big problem if they want this to succeed. As of now I think they should seriously consider recasting. But this looked about as good as that Reign clip.

Comment by AT – May 30, 2013 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This pilot was really good when I read it. One of the best this season drama wise for sure. And the cast is great. I’m super excited about it. Think District 9 meets Romeo & Juliet meets Roswell. Which = AWESOME. Just wish we didn’t have to wait till mid-season for it!

Comment by Kat – May 31, 2013 01:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I also read the pilot and this trailer does not do it justice at all. I’m hoping the script didn’t just get lost in translation and that the trailer is just bad, because I liked the script.

Comment by Winston – May 31, 2013 05:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The main dude is pretty cute, so I’ll check out the first few episodes. CW doesn’t have a ton of new shows like other networks, so I will probably watch the pilot of all of them.

Comment by BFT – May 31, 2013 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s so hard to judge by a trailer alone. I know it’s meant to grab your attention (and I don’t think this trailer does the best job of that) but I’ll reserve my judgement until I actually see the show. It’s got an interesting premise.

Comment by Julie – May 31, 2013 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is the guy always the alien/vampire/werewolf? Let the girl be the “other” some time.

Comment by scifisiren – May 31, 2013 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The little girl from Ben & Kate must have known that show was dead in the water and latched onto this

Comment by Patrick Maloney – May 31, 2013 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This looks horrible. Aimee Teegarden followed Friday Night Lights with this? That’s like finishing a five star meal and having a twinkie for dessert.

Comment by dude – May 31, 2013 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think because I am in the midst of watching Roswell for the first time, Star Crossed intrigues me. I will have to give it a try! I decided to catch up on Beauty and the Beast this summer since their fans seem so crazy about it.

Comment by Fabe – May 31, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Beauty and the beast actually become good in second half of the season :)

Comment by anja – May 31, 2013 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, Julie Taylor is all grown up, but seriously she sighed up for this after FNL.
    This looks so horrible that i will not miss it. hahaha

Comment by anja – May 31, 2013 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • for my generation this is Roswell 2.0, for new generations this is “I am Number 4 the series”

Comment by Fernanda – May 31, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still watch episodes of Roswell often. I will check this out but what kept me coming back to Roswell is the amazing chemistry that Shiri and Jason had as Liz and Max. Actually the whole cast of Roswell just meshed well. I just didn’t get that same feeling between the two leads in this series from this trailer. I will give the actual pilot and maybe the first couple of episodes to see if they can change my mind though.

Comment by Jessica – May 31, 2013 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • granted i’m not in the target audience but this doesn’t look good at all. only watched the video because of Ms. Teegarden but this is very much a cw show. the “ALIENS” are just us with tats and of course all of them are pretty. plus the two main characters appear as if they will be totally in love by the end of the first hour. no thank you

Comment by meatwad – May 31, 2013 11:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know. Looks like it could be good. Aimee Teagarden looks completely different from her FNL days. Main male character could be reason alone to watch this.

Comment by Sareeta – June 2, 2013 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE The CW, but this show looks horrible. Bad acting, bad filming, bad plot, and most of all… CORNY. The way it’s filmed (the way it looks I mean) reminds me of the reboot of Melrose Place, and we all know what happened to that show. LOL

Comment by Elle – June 2, 2013 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It really goes to show how much music can play into making or breaking an edit. That piece of music was HORRIBLE. The trailer could have been a lot better with just a different piece of music. I might check it out when it finally makes it’s way to tv. I do love the Taylors!

Comment by Liz – June 4, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i LOVE the trailer. so, ha!

Comment by i like positive – June 8, 2013 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t they make this show already and wasnt it called Roswell??

Comment by DeeKayTee – June 24, 2013 03:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • absolutely cannot wait.

Comment by Kaft – July 3, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok so none of yu have acualy seen this show yet so how can u say the actors are bad and personaly i think the actros in Rosweld sucked they played on the drama way too mutch it made me want to barf.

Comment by rose – November 6, 2013 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post