NBC Renews Hannibal for Season 2

Hugh Dancy, Mads MikkelsenNBC is hungry for more Hannibal: The network has renewed its killer drama for a second season.

PHOTOS | Hannibal Season 1 Spoilers — Ellen Muth Puts a Unique  Twist on Her Dead Like Me Character

Executive producer Bryan Fuller’s (Pushing Daisies) tale of profiler Will Graham and cannibal shrink Dr. Lecter will return no earlier than midseason for a 13-episode run.

“We’re so proud of Bryan’s vision for a show that is richly textured, psychologically complex, and very compelling,” NBC Entertainment President Jennifer Salke said in a statement. “There are many great stories still to be told.”

1. Esaul says:

Honestly, I’m surprised. Although as a midseason show, I suppose it wasn’t TOO bad all things considering.

• Alex says:

it wasnt too bad?, i’m quite curious as to what are some good shows of the same “genre” right now, i mean no rectify’s and justified’s, oh please enlighten me

• Esaul says:

A show’s ratings ≠ the quality of a show.

• Alex says:

Oh no, i got that, still, what are some of the shows that are good?, i mean, according to you, because hannibal is just brilliant, so if you think it isnt that bad…

• HB says:

Alex is referring to the ratings not being too bad for a mid-season show. He’s not talking about quality. Go back to your hole.

• Esaul says:

Again I refer to my comment about ratings. I am solely discussing the numbers of the show, not the quality. I haven’t seen the show myself, so I can’t give judgement to the quality.

• Sherry Clark says:

I have a sister who doesn’t like the same shows I do and vs versa. We have been texting and calling each other and spurring each other on over all of this. I’m glad it’s going to proceed ahead!!! Whoo Hooo!!!

• guest says:

I agree with you.. I just finished watching and I think it’s an excellent show.quality, not quantity.

2. Yes, yes, YES. Now I can forgive NBC for canceling The New Normal. So happy right now. ^^

3. c0rinne says:

I’m not surprised. Sure the numbers were small but it’s critically acclaimed and it’s already gaining a cult following. Give it some time and it will be a good keep for NBC.

• big cheddar says:

I’d likecto think they learned their lesson from cancelling AWAKE too soon. They need yo give high concept shows like these a real chance.

• Mary Rose says:

Sooo completly agree. The networks have been doing that way too often. People don’t want to get too interested in a show if it has the least bit of chance of getting canceled. Especially dramas like Hannibal.

• Diane Stock says:

So right! I was really getting into AWAKE and I was reluctant but I REALLY got hooked on Hannibal, even a coworker of mine is hooked and we are both SOOOO happy and ready for the new season. We agree the show is best for cold weather. Curled up under the covers and watching Hannibal! Nothing better!

4. Meg says:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

5. Did NOT at all see this coming! But I am very very very happy about it. I have enjoyed every bit of Hannibal but I thought it was done for. Thumbs up NBC.

6. Jared says:

Such a good show!

7. Guilherme says:

FUC*ING CALLED IT.

8. N says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

9. Aiden says:

Now I could breath a sigh of relief. This is the only freshman show I cared to be renewed this season. Pretty sure a cult fandom backlash would ensue as well had NBC canceled it, so great decision on their part. Incredibly happy Bryan Fuller gets to continue his vision for another year. Such a compelling story, characters, and cast.

10. Lauren says:

Great news!! I’m addicted to this show! It’s outside of my normal choices for television. I was curious to see how it was going to work so I tuned in and was instantly hooked! Hopefully more people will start watching.

11. iMember says:

YESSSS!!! I stopped watching, not because it was bad, but because I felt like I needed to marathon it instead and I was afraid it would have gotten cancelled, but now I have one new thing to do this summer: Catch up on Hannibal and get ready for Season 2!!!

12. Saint Alicia says:

Not too surprised; it’s a quality series, is critically praised (could contend come award season), and also has an enthusiastic following which can only grow. If NBC dropped it another network surely would have picked it up. Smart choice to renew :D
    Now let’s party, who’s got the hors d’oeuvres?!

13. Paul says:

I’ve only watched two episodes, but it seems like really well made television and now that I know there’s going to be a S2 I won’t feel like catching up is a fruitless endeavor.

14. Andy says:

I didn’t see this coming at all. I stopped watching a couple weeks ago because I was worried it was going to get canceled and I didn’t want to get too involved. I guess I’ll catch back up/

• johnhelvete says:

I understand the part about not wanting to get involved with a show that you are afraid will be cancelled, but by not watching the show all you are doing is letting other people decide what you watch on TV.

15. Mike R. says:

Great news, but I’m not getting my hopes up for a season 3.

• Wrstlgirl says:

Are you serious! Already forecasting doom for season 3 and we haven’t even finished season 1 yet. Unbelievable.

• Mike R. says:

I love this show, but I’m only being realistic, it is not doing that amazing at the moment. Sorry, but I’m a realist.

• Saint Alicia says:

If you really love the show just continue watching, and if you’re still hooked after the finale, stick with it through season 2. That should improve the chances of a season 3 renewal alone.
          Viewer pessimism is a vicious cycle. When people quit a show because they’re afraid it’ll be canceled (or even refrain from watching in the first place) that hurts the show’s chances of survival. Ratings will be suppressed because people are afraid to get invested, which in turn can lead others to think “hey, no one’s watching, this show must suck”, and now THEY’RE discouraged from tuning in.
          Hannibal needs as many eyeballs as possible (no pun intended); people should just watch because it’s great television and stop worrying about the rest.
          /$0.02

• Mike R. says:

Great point, but I’m not going to stop watching, in just always realistic when it comes to NBC shows.

• RyanC says:

Unless you’re a Nielsen household it doesn’t matter if you stop watching. Those 25,000 boxes are almost entirely responsible for what stays and what goes. Sure, some DVR numbers might play into it, but not much.

• Saint Alicia says:

^^I’m familiar with how the ratings are calculated, but if NBC based Hannibal’s renewal on the Nielsen rating alone there’s no way they would have greenlit a second season.
            DVR numbers actually DO play a significant role; (per EW) “Hannibal averaged 4.7 million viewers and a 2.0 rating when including seven days of DVR …NBC points out that its rating by this measurement is actually 75 percent higher than its overnight rating, demonstrating rather steep weekly growth from DVR use.”
            Since Hannibal’s viewership more than doubles when you factor in DVR numbers (and I believe they’re counting Hulu/NBC.com viewers as well) it’s crucial for people to watch any way they can, ESPECIALLY since statistically any given viewer doesn’t have a Nielsen box.

16. Warren says:

Thank God, I was so afraid for Hannibal. Undoubtedly the best show to come out of the 12-13 season.

17. Dani says:

Good decision by NBC. Hannibal is a fine made tv show. Glad to see that quality won.

18. K. says:

So happy, I at least wanted to see all their faces when they figured out Hannibal is a killer and the Cannibal!!

19. Ram510 says:

I figured it had a strong chance of returning I figured it would end up on a cable net though. I wonder how far NBC thinks they can take this show, cause it’ll take forever to reach syndication. Maybe they renewed it to buy time like with Southland, then cancel before it airs and pass I on to someone else. Anyhow great for the show and fans.

20. Aegon Targ says:

When I saw the headline on twitter I gasped and fist pumped the air. There is a god and it wants Mads Mikkelsen to stay on air

21. Reblogged this on thehiltonburnellfiles and commented:
    Hell freakin’ yeah!!!!!!!!!

22. Martin says:

It’s not a bad show, and i watch it but with ratings like these it seems like NBC wants to be No.4 again. I have a weird feeling that either Dracula or Crossbones will bomb right out of the gate and Hannibal will replace in midseason (Dracula bombs – Crossbones is rushed a bit and replaces that/Dracula finishes run ok, Crossbones takes over – bombs and is replaced by Hannibal in midseason). I for some reason think Crossbones is more likely to bomb than Dracula, although considering this is NBC and new dramas not out of big lead-ins have a 1 record of renewal (still shocked, pleasantly, about Chicago Fire – not renewal but retention from series premiere) in recent memory, they both could end up bombing.

Know it’s a stretch but maybe Hugh Dancy could get his wife (Claire Danes) to guest star next season, in between breaks on Homeland.

• johnhelvete says:

What role would Claire Danes play? She already has one of the best female roles on TV.

• CJ says:

Laurence Fishburne’s wife Gina Torres – who also has a great role on another fantastic show, Suits – guest starred on Hannibal, but she has the advantage of location as both Suits and Hannibal film in Ontario. Homeland is filmed in NC, so it would be a bit more difficult depending on schedules. It would be neat to have her though.

23. kirads09 says:

Yay! Bout time.

24. Mark says:

Great news! It’s one of the best shows on television. :)

25. sabrina says:

Great news.

26. Eric says:

I’m surprised but I’m so incredibly happy! I love Bryan Fuller, and he has managed to deliver yet another amazing series.

27. CJ says:

YES!!!!!! I practically jumped up and down in my living room at this news.

28. Heather says:

HOORAY!! So happy that it’s coming back.

29. Mari says:

YES! Best news! This show is really good!!

30. Hot dog! Although, I hope Hannibal doesn’t make his own hot dogs. Who knows what gets put into those.

31. mrjzn says:

Great show! The tension is so thick each episode I am pitting my tshirts out!

32. Midori says:

This is bad news.

There was talk of Amazon picking up the show. Now that it got a second season, and most likely won’t get picked up after that, Amazon might not want it.

It happened with The New Adventures of Old Christine. ABC wanted it if CBS didn’t pick it up for a 5th season. When CBS canceled it after the 5th season Amazon didn’t want it.

33. Andy says:

THERE IS A GOD!

34. bobbie says:

I can’t say I “love” this show, but I’ve been watching it, mostly because it’s a Bryan Fuller show, and has Caroline Dhavernas, though I wish they’d have a different makeup artist/hairstylist for her. I plan on watching it again, maybe marathon style (maybe? hah!) and seeing if I’ve been missing something that would make me love it more. I just get the feeling that maybe it’s been on a tight leash and could loosen up a bit.

35. Viv says:

Good news! Now I can finally watch season 1. I didn´t even started, because I thought it would get cancelled.

36. Teag says:

OH BABY YES! MADE THIS GREAT DAY EVEN BETTER

37. what! says:

Bloody good news! Tonight’s episode was great-n-creepy!

38. Chris H says:

Last year NBC cancels Harry’s Law that had 8 million viewers. This year they renew Hannibal that can only get 4 million viewrs when Nothing else is on, when there is it gets 2.5. Wow NBC must stand for Nothing But Crazy! I’m predicting #’s worse than smash next year.

• drhenning says:

You have to also examine who is watching Hannibal… Once again, old people like me enjoyed Harry’s Law and other DEK shows but not the younger “demo”… I have to rewatch some of the last Hannibal episodes because like others, you don’t want to get too sucked in when there is no future in a show like this….

39. TV Critic says:

Now if only they can do Revolution without interruption.

40. Daniel says:

Great news, break out the Chianti… being cautious though, I’ll save the Fava Beans for a 3rd season renewal.

41. So, they renewed this fantastic show but cancelled the (better rated) Go On? Really NBC?

42. Deb M says:

yes Yes YES!!!!! i thought for sure it was gonna get cancelled and was simply hoping that another network would pick it up…way to go NBC!! when i read the headline, i actually squealed and did a little dance, then looked around glad my mom was at work…lol

43. april says:

Ooohh yeahhh!! Both hannibal and will are sooo hot!! Weve all been keeping our fingers crossed for season 2,3,4…heh heh…yyyyyyyeeeeeesssss!

44. john favrot says:

Hannibal and Bates Motel are the best shows on TV!!!!

45. Britin17k says:

Thank you NBC for having the courage to renew a brilliant program. We’ll be watching.

46. Mo says:

Yes. I started watching about 3 episodes in (I had already planned to give it a shot but didn’t realize it was airing already), caught up on demand, and it’s been appointment tv for me ever since. I love every single element of this show – casting, writing, art direction, scoring, everything. Best news I’ve heard all day.

47. Dan says:

Fantastic news. We’ve been championing this show on my podcast “Nothing But Static” for weeks. Glad this has come through in spades.

48. Johnny Hooper says:

Is it just me or is the relentless gore and gloom only bearable when Hannibal is centre screen?

49. Eric Payne says:

I watch (and DVR) “Hannibal,” but have some major misgivings about the show. First, the audio is terrible, especially in scenes where Hannibal, himself, has a lot of lines. Last night’s episode was especially bad… I actually turned closed-captioning on so I could catch all the dialogue. And while the “noir” photography gives the series a certain atmosphere, it also creates a disconnect when it comes to locations — Baltimore looks like Virginia, which looks like West Virginia, which looks like Wyoming. Lastly, the show has already become a bit formulaic. There’s a horrendous murder. The FBI responds. Will goes into his trance, then goes a little batty. Will talks about his going batty with Lechter. Will/the FBI solve the murder and apprehend/kill the murderer. Somewhere in the mix, Crawford will kvetch he’s not being told everything, and (every couple of weeks, to remind the viewer our good doctor is NOT a good guy), Hannibal kills someone. What I tuned in for was “pre- Red Dragon” stories. What I’m getting is episodic television filmed artistically.