TVLine Items: Warren Kole Gets Collar'd, Katie Couric Confirms Today Return Talk and More

White Collar Cast Warren KoleWhite Collar has found a new follower.

Erstwhile The Following baddie/Common Lawman Warren Kole has nabbed a recurring role in Season 5 of the USA Network drama, HuffPostTV reports.

RELATED | Happy Endings Axed By ABC — Next Stop USA?

Kole will play Agent David Seigel, Neal’s overly ambitious new FBI handler who takes over for the now-jailed Peter.

The Americans’ Richard Thomas will also guest-star in the new season (premiering this fall), playing the patriarch of a wealthy family.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Turns out, Katie Couric was approached about returning to the Today show in the wake of a recent decrease in ratings. “There were some cautious overtures to me to possibly come back,” she revealed Tuesday during an appearance on Howard Stern’s radio show. When asked if she’d seriously consider a comeback, Couric coyly responded, “For me, that was the best job.”

• Community fave Yvette Nicole Brown is returning to TV Land’s The Soul Man, The Hollywood Reporter reports, reprising her role as the Ballentines’ former neighbor. Season 2 of the TV Land comedy bows June 19.

RELATED | Report: Community Creator Dan Harmon Asked Back to Helm Season 5

• Animal Planet’s sequel “documentary” Mermaids: The New Evidence on Sunday night drew 3.6 million viewers, a ratings record for the network.

• Tyler Perry’s The Haves and the Have Nots on Tuesday night drew 1.8 million total viewers — aka the most watched series premiere in OWN history.

• Nickelodeon’s Sanjay and Craig premiere drew 3.6 million total viewers on Saturday and ranked as TV’s No. 2 kids’ show for the week (behind only SpongeBob).

• Amazon has greenlit production on five of the 14 pilots it put online last month: the Garry Trudeau-created Alpha House (starring John Goodman and following four senators-turned-unlikely-roommates), Betas (about four young entrepreneurs attempting to make it big in techland) and the kids-oriented Annebots, Creative Galaxy and Tumbleaf. The new series will debut on Amazon Prime Instant Video later this year or in early 2014.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Daytime TV, Ratings, Series Orders, TVLine Items

1. RibaMc says:

I wish Warren Kole would rather have him to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. as the S.H.I.E.L.D.-guy playing Galaga again. Could have a smal story about him now being a janitor.

2. Sean T says:

Damn, I was really hoping Supanaturals had made it!

3. lorna says:

He would be EXCELLENT on SPN!!! i really wish they killed Emma instead of him on the Following. Roderick was nuts and it was kind of fun. FICTIONALLY speaking. Plus, he could put on the charm.

• CBWBDK1 says:

It was ridiculous. In every episode they said Roderick send me. He saved them every time. After finally meeting him, he was killed a few episodes later by a bullet from behind. Very poorly handled and a waist of a great character.

4. Lynn says:

I miss Common Law so much so I’m really excited to see Warren on Common Law!

5. Steven says:

Warren Kole needs him own hit show. He was amazing in The Following even when the writing wasn’t.

6. MaryAnn says:

I would check out The Haves and Have Nots on OWN if our Comcast service offered it. I noticed that the slot that had OWN on the Philadelphia lineup had one more sports station in the Detroit suburbs.

• Hamish says:

Don’t bother with The Haves and Have Nots. We endured the first episode and that was plenty. Think of it as a very cheesy 80’s type soap opera. The acting is bad but that’s really a reflection of how bad the writing is. The production values are also pretty low. I’m not sure they had enough money to pay the electric bill because the lighting was so bad. I think I’ll be removing OWN from our DirecTV favorite channels – there’s nothing I need to watch.

7. Jooshua says:

Great I love that guy… he SHOULD be on Agents of SHIELD.. that would be awesome!

8. Tom says:

NBC needs to get over the idea that the problem with the Today show is its hosts. It’s content — specifically the compete lack thereof. Sure Ann Curry was a disaster. She didn’t deserve to be treated the way she was, but she had to go. But the Today show has become about 15 minutes of news (usually warmed over from the night before) and 3:45 of unbelievable crap, advertorials and network self promotion. That’s why the ratings are in a free-fall. I rarely make it past the first 15 minutes of the Today show not because I can’t take Matt Lauer or Savannah Guthrie, it’s because there’s nothing interesting to watch. Bringing Katie Couric back wouldn’t help. They need to invest in some content.

• Larc says:

I agree! I was a loyal Today watcher for years, but finally got fed up when it turned into about 90% fluff. I can get nearly as much truly worthwhile info from my TV when it’s turned off as I can from Today.

9. MrsTV says:

We managed to check out about 10 minutes of The Haves and Have Nots. It was awful! High school kids with video cameras could do a better production. Bad writing, acting, and production. Sorry, Bo Duke. We love you, but couldn’t watch this mess!

10. Steve says:

OWN has turned into BET 2.0. I havent watched since Directv increased my monthly rate and took OWN off the basic package. They must have had a free trial cuz I saw a little bit and after 15 minutes was not only really bored, but thought it played like a really really bad soap opera. And turned it off

11. Mick says:

Let’s be real though the online versions of OLTL and AMC look better than the Have and Have Nots. Shame I like Tika Sumpter but cannot stand Tyler Perry.

12. rmr says:

As much as I hate to admit it, but, Lauer, Kouric and Curry were the best morning news combo. But, that was then.

13. JBC says:

I liked Warren Kole on Common Law and think they should have renewed that show. I am looking forward to seeing him on White Collar as Neal’s new handler. I think it is good casting. Now if we could only get “Sawyer” from LOST, the fantastic Josh Holloway for a guest spot on White Collar I would be so very happy. (Of course, I would want him to play a conman).

14. Baileigh says:

Does anyone know when White Collar is coming back?

15. Eliza says:

I loved Warren Kole on Common Law. I look forward to seeing him on White Collar with the amazing Matt Bomer.

16. ann says:

Today Show…get rid of pompous Matt Lauer and I’ll come back…sick of his holier than thou personality, he has over-stayed his welcome 10+ years!!!! Adios Matt, aka Arrogant Man, don’t let the door hit us :-) :-)

17. JLC says:

The Today Show lost me when they started interviewing people like the Kardashians. Reality “stars” are not news.