So You Think You Can Dance Recap: The 5 Best Boston Auditions! (Vote for Your Faves!)

Get More: Reality TV, Recaps

Tommy-Tibball-SYTYCDSo You Think You Can Dance‘s Boston audition stop was a cause for celebration — and not just because it featured a gal with a lampshade on her head, a hunk willing to flash his torso upon request and Mary Murphy hollerating like a Red Sox fan with the score tied at the bottom of the ninth.

No sirree, the two-hour episode turned into party central thanks to a deep and ridiculously diverse pool of talent — with ballroom, hip-hop, ballet and contemporary all on brilliant display. And while it was a near impossible task to narrow it down to the five best auditions, please bear with my humble attempts below…

Honorable Mention: John Tesoriero, whose “water plink” moves synchronized to a live beat boxer filled me with joy; Alexis Juliano, who somehow made “Mr. Bojangles” feel like cinematic; Jennifer James, who’s just too beautiful to be believed (Mary Murphy: “I JUST LOVE HER FACE!”); and Shannon ‘Shizzy Shake’ Tarantino, whose punkish looks juxtaposed intriguingly with her ethereral, almost angelic movements. (I really wanted to make Shannon No. 5, but how could I deny Anthony?)

5) Anthony Savoy | No one from his dance company knew he was auditioning, but there’s no way they could be too bitter after he brought his avian-like elegance to the program through leaps and spins that will be sure to inspire folks like Sonya and Mia in the weeks and months to come.

4) Toshi Nakazawa | I worried SYTYCD was setting him up as some kind of unfunny ESL joke, but nope: Dude’s animated moves were wickedly creative and entertaining. When he went prone on the stage and waves of music “pulsed” through his body, I found myself clapping like a ridiculous seal.

3) Jennie Begley | Who else felt the sweet rush of tears after Jennie’s brother — who paid to fly the struggling ballerina from Colorado — leapt to his feet to celebrate her dark and theatrical audition? Mary was right: This chick’s lines are mesmerizing!

2) Kate Kapshandy | Nigel was right: This whirling, highly sexualized ballroom dervish could start as a DWTS pro tomorrow — and give the ABC ballroom competish’s sagging ratings, maybe she should! I let out a chuckle of delight the moment Kate strutted out from the wings with the kind of confidence that’s rare during a reality competition audition, and seeing Season 5′s Max Kapitannikov as her partner was a nice bonus. Hard to imagine she won’t go far into Season 10 — provided she’s got versatility, too.

1) Tommy Tibball | It’s funny Nigel mentioned past SYTYCD standouts Jakob and Billy, since Tommy’s incredible expression and extension immediately called those fellas to mind. And oh man, that piroutte just went on and on and on — without ever losing its form. Tommy doesn’t have the loudest of personalities, but I felt like the world fell silent when he extended his leg back and over his head (pictured). Being supercute won’t hurt him, either.

And with that, let me turn things over to you. What did you think of last night’s SYTYCD? Who was your favorite auditioner? Take our poll, sound off in the comments, and for all my reality TV news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (34)

• Michael, it’s like you read my mind. Agree with everything you said. This was, hands down, the best episode this season. And honestly, one of the best audition episodes we’ve had in a while. Incredibly entertaining.

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – May 29, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for ballroom and tappers entering still!

Comment by Shaun – May 29, 2013 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, one does wonder why those tappers even bother anymore…

Comment by Eli – May 29, 2013 11:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lots of good talent so far but I still haven’t seen my personal “wow” dancer yet. When Melanie Moore and Eliana from last season auditioned they were my front runners from the moment they stepped on stage. Still waiting for that dancer this season!!

Comment by Shannon – May 29, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I had the same reaction to Melanie & Eliana.

Comment by cjinsd – May 29, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cutting out the results show means that we only get half the audition and Vegas shows. Which ultimately means we don’t get to see as many of the dancers from the very beginning and pick a favorite to root for to the end. Last season, I do remember Eliana from auditions, but I had a hard time recognizing most of the top 20 when they were chosen. I personally think that taking away the results show has seriously caused the show to suffer, in more ways than one.

Comment by Magically Suspicious – May 30, 2013 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s like you reached into my brain and poured out exactly what I’ve been thinking. The first time I saw both Melanie and Eliana dance, my first thought was “That girl is going to win this thing.” While I’m impressed with the talent we’ve seen so far this year, I haven’t yet had that feeling either.

Comment by Aprilcot – May 30, 2013 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t want a front runner like Melanie. I hated watching her walk to the win wih no real suspense. She wasn’t THAT good. Drove me nuts.

Comment by Alex – May 29, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Except she kind of WAS that good. I remember she was the very first audition of that season, and after watching her I remember thinking “It doesn’t really matter who else shows up, she’s going to win”. There were certainly other brilliant dancers that season, but she earned that frontrunner status.

Comment by wordsmith – May 29, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t agree. At all. She was never challenged in other styles and she never lived up to her audition. She robbed a bunch if other more interesting and versatile girls that season. Girls that weren’t given the same push from production. The only girl I disliked more than Melanie that season was Ryan. Another one that got an extra push from production.

Comment by Alex – May 29, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gee, glad to see somebody else state how I felt about Melanie. I just couldn’t get THAT excited!

Comment by Diane – May 29, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, Sasha was WAY better than Melanie and was challenged outside her style more. She should have won for that dance she did with Kent alone.

Comment by VCI – May 30, 2013 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never understand the judges hip-hop choices. Sometimes they give them straight to vegas other times it choreography. It use to be more predictable how the they treat hip-hop, but it’s been all over the place.

I thought E-Knock showed great variety and seemed to pick up the choreography fine, but no ticket.

Meanwhile Toshi (who was very good) got the feeling that since he could barely understand english probably won’t pick up choreo that easily and thought he should have tried that, but he gets straight to vegas

Comment by VCI – May 29, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THANK YOU! E-Knock completely deserved to go through…his partnering was better than what Cyrus showed last year in the first couple of live-weeks

Comment by Kate'shomesick – May 29, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree!

Comment by waterbug – May 30, 2013 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My thoughts exactly.

Comment by Aprilcot – May 30, 2013 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts too. I was amazed when they sent Toshi through. I didn’t like his routine that much anyway, and it sure didn’t demonstrate that he could do anything but hip-hop. My guess is he’ll get creamed in Las Vegas – and that means somebody else won’t get to go.

Comment by buttermop (@buttermop) – May 30, 2013 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the Red Sox shout out….#bostonstrong.

Comment by Chablis – May 29, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think we saw some cuture top 20ers on this episode

Comment by big cheddar – May 29, 2013 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ANTHONY BRYANT was one of the “BEST DANCERS” in Boston – yet Nigel berated him by asking him to go to ‘choreography when clearly he was GREAT and didn’t need to – especially after having tried out 3 times now and they’ve loved him every time’! What a bunch of @$#!% those judges are!

Comment by neil samuels – May 29, 2013 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree! I know they were trying to play him off as one of those funny, joke-type auditions that Idol just love, but he was actually really really good! Under normal circumstances if Nigel hadn’t been biased against him, he would’ve definitely gone straight to Vegas. I get that he’s clearly a little cray cray and full of himself, but you can’t deny his talent and I understand why he didn’t want to continue, it’s a matter of dignity and he clearly didn’t deserve to go to choreography.

I also think that the main, underlying issue they had with him was really awful- Nigel saying he isn’t masculine enough and then getting annoyed when he retorted back. There was never any problems with his dancing or even his attitude (before being provoked) and he still didn’t make it through even once. That really bothers me and I usually don’t have an issue with the SYTYCD judges.

Comment by Tamara – May 30, 2013 04:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The reason those judges wanted him to go to choreography was because they wanted to find out if he could work with a partner and able to follow directions. This is not a solo competition and all dancers need to learn new routines and work with partners. He just proved himself right there that he was impossible to work with.

Comment by Go Go – May 30, 2013 04:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thank you! I had to explain that to my husband as well. The judges were testing his attitude. It’s like when they told Anthony Savoy that he had to go through to choreography because they knew how humble he would be. Anthony Bryant has shown in the past that he is a *huge* hothead…this isn’t American Idol; they don’t need people like that on SYTYCD. He should have gone to choreo, knocked it out of the park, and proved the judges wrong. As soon as he said he was a different person I knew he was still going to be a giant d-bag.

Comment by Aprilcot – May 30, 2013 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Considering that Bryant is a WORKING PROFESSIONAL dancer, I doubt that he has any problems working with partners and choreographers. My problem is that, NEVER ONCE, did Nigel feel the need to apologize for his inappropriate comments that brought about this whole ordeal in the first place. We saw it with the first same-sex ballroom couple in Season 5. They treated them like gay minstrels. After GLAAD got on Nigel for that, Season 6′s same-sex couple got heralded as pioneers. Meanwhile, what does Miss Bryant get (oh, let’s count the ways):

1. No kind of acknowledgment of the complete overlooking of talent in by focusing on a prop. Really though, a ribbon?

2. Complete disregard for talent in the name of “testing” someone’s humility. Um… He’s a grown ass man. He doesn’t need any lessons like he’s in preschool. If he’s going to be a “supposed” hassle, then you let the choreographers and his partners deal with that. You just let him through based on his talent alone.

3. He gets shown up when Nigel chooses (edits) another black Anthony right after him to show him how it’s supposed to be handled.

Comment by warm dawn – June 26, 2013 03:36 AM PDT
        • That’s fine, I understood that too, but the whole backstory of why he pi**ed off Nigel & Co. is really not convincing- Nigel was basically being a bit of a homophobe earlier, the ribbon was just a prop as lots of people have auditioned with, and Nigel essentially had a problem with that and not his dancing- and the show is about the dancing. I would have taken offense at Nigel’s statement too. So the basis for him being an ‘infamous troublemaker’ didn’t really sit right with me.
          But I’m not arguing with you, he definitely would not be easy to work with, I just think the judges were also at fault here.

Comment by Tamara – May 30, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Alexis could have the potential to go far. Tappers get the shift on this show, and when they do make it into the top 20 they’re usually ousted within the first few weeks. Hopefully she has more in her bag of tricks because some people just don’t know how to appreciate tap. Those little salsa moves she busted out after her audition give me hope!

Comment by Aprilcot – May 30, 2013 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Alexis looks like she has modern in her pocket, too. I would love to see a tapper go beyond top 20.

Comment by Ann VerWiebe – May 30, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wasn’t there that tapper chick in season 7 who was in the top 7? Melinda I think.

Comment by achilles – June 1, 2013 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i now that right

Comment by lizzy – June 14, 2013 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I used to love SYTYCD and the BEYOND talented dancers. But Nigel “I-created-dance” Lythgoe shifted the focus from the dancers to himself and the horrific Mary Murphy, and I started to lose interest.

Then Mary Murphy’s deadbeat / cocaine & nympho scandal broke and I gave up. She won’t pay the people who worked so hard to build her career? What a loser!

If FOX would dump older-than-a-fossil Nigel, dishonorable-Mary and the totally unqualified “celebrity” guest judges, I’d give the show another chance.

I can only pray!

Comment by Carly Santana (@VillaBlancUH) – May 30, 2013 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ashley Goldman and Phil were the best. Not only because they are amazing dancers but also because they are my ballroom teachers! The way they acted were the completely real way they act in our classes. They have so much chemistry and they really are amazing. Good luck to them and congratulations to all the others who made it! <3

Comment by Nicole – May 31, 2013 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah Vermont!!

Comment by Rachael M – June 6, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been watching this show for 10years, never have I been as disappointed as I am in this episode. E-knock should have went to Vegas! Seriously he had skills and Nigel took a giant poo all over him. Usually I totally agree with the judges, however, this time was a mistake. Bring that kid back and let’s see his skills in Vegas.

Comment by Blue – June 13, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what ever happened to Jennie Begley, Anthony Savoy and Kate Kapshandy? I’ve never heard or can find anything about why these three fabulous, all of my favorites, wasn’t seen or talked about in Vegas and never made it into the top 20.

For sure, at least one if not all had the talent to make it….

Comment by Wilson – June 19, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post