Ratings: SYTYCD and The Voice Dip, Body of Proof Down in Series Finale, CBS' D.A. Is DOA

Ratings Body of Proof Series FinaleThe Voices devastating, What has our world wrought? results show on Tuesday night dominated all comers in both total audience — with 10.4 million total viewers — and in the demo, scoring a 3.0 rating.

Week-to-week, the NBC competition series was up 3 percent in viewers yet down two tenths in the demo, hitting an all-time Tuesday low.

RELATED | The Voice Top 8 Results Recap: Did the Right Two Contestants Go Home?

Elsewhere on the reality-TV front, Fox’s So You Think You Can Dance (5 mil/1.8) added a few eyeballs while dipping two tenths, and ABC’s Extreme Weight Loss: Formerly Known as Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition drew 4.2 mil and a 1.2, shedding 20 percent of its previous premiere numbers (which came on a Sunday, in June) but up in viewers from last season’s finale.

ABC’s Body of Proof put a toe tag on its three-season run with 7.5 mil and a 1.2, topping its hour on both counts but down 14 percent from its last fresh episode and off 27 and 37 percent from its Season 2 finale.

CBS’ Brooklyn D.A. premiered to 5 mil/1.0, matching a repeat of The Office‘s series finale in the demo and down from last summer’s Dogs in the City premiere.

1. Boiler says:

So was Body of Proof down because Michael was on it or because of ABC’s IDIOTIC decision to cancel the show. I guess the latter

• Esaul says:

I agree with ABC’s decision to cancel Body of Proof. They don’t have promising numbers. I also wouldn’t have been so forgiving of Revenge either, but that’s another story.

• Midori says:

Body of Proof was averaging 8-9 million in the spring with a 1.5-1.6 demo, which was higher than a lot of ABC’s shows, and BoP was getting tax credits, massive amounts of free money.

• lauren says:

Were you personally awarding these “tax credits”? You seem very vested in them!

• Esaul says:

But there are also other shows that are pulling higher numbers than that. Body of Proof is weak compared several of their other power hitters. Castle’s in the 2.0’s range, as well as Once Upon A Time. Grey’s is in the upper 2’s to early 3’s. I can’t think of any other dramas that perform worse than Body of Proof that hasn’t been cancelled already (other than Revenge really).

• Boiler says:

You compare its “performance” to what I think is an out of date demo measure. It is the 3rd most watched ABC drama. The number of people 18 to 49 is decreasing with 50+ on the rise. Maybe someday the networks will wake up and recognize that, same as tlh45’s comment below on CBS

• Esaul says:

Even though you believe it is out of date, it’s the measure they are using to determine a show’s success. They can have all the viewers they want, but if it doesn’t have the rating to support it, it won’t last. It’s about the advertisers more so than the viewers. It’s why those numbers are important. An example I use a lot recently is CBS’ Vegas. It had in the ten millions for viewers against NBC’s Parenthood, but it lost in rating constantly, and yet Parenthood was renewed. It’s not always viewers. And it’s not about the networks “waking up and recognizing” that, but Nielsen.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

It’s wrong to compare PARENTHOOD (NBC) to VEGAS (CBS). A show’s renewal prospects are related to how it fares against OTHER SHOWS ON THE SAME NETWORK, not versus its time slot competition.

• Esaul says:

Oh that’s right. I get caught up at times and forget that fact. :) Thanks for the correction!

• Luiz says:

Revenge never performed worse than BoP.

• Esaul says:

Yeah, sorry. It was to the best of my knowledge. I know Revenge had low numbers around BoP’s range, wans’t sure the exact numbers.

• Midori says:

Yes and none of those got a tax credit.

I enjoy the show, don’t watch it religiously, but it made no sense at all to cancel a show that is next to free to make. Even if they only order 13 episodes and use it as filler. The show is treated like garbage and still gets better ratings than a lot of what ABC has. They could have renewed it and stuck it on Fridays or even as a summer show next year. There was a lot they could have done with it because nothing they have done has caused the numbers to crater.

ABC in the last few years has a pretty bad record for new shows, Nashville being the only new drama this year to be renewed for another season and it has a slightly higher demo, costs more, much less viewers.

It makes no sense to outright cancel a show like Body of Proof for untested show, more so because it’s almost free to make.

• Boiler says:

I think Nielsen will do whatever the networks tell them to do

2. Esaul says:

Horrible ratings for Brooklyn D.A.. If it weren’t for summer, I’d imagine this being axed right away. Although, they probably could get more ratings from repeats of their sitcoms, or NCIS/LA. That’s what I would do if D.A.’s given another chance next week and doesn’t improve (which really isn’t likely).

• Linda F says:

It’s a shame, because I watched it last night and really enjoyed it. But yeah, I was afraid it wouldn’t do well in the ratings. It’s not exactly typical summer fare; a little heavier and more serious than I think a lot of people are looking for this time of year. I just hope if it doesn’t do well next week that they can at least burn it off over the summer so I can see the rest.

3. rmr says:

Body of Proof finale was terrible..the last scene was a bad joke. Good got cancelled.

4. tlh45 says:

I bet CSI NY moving to a summer series instead of cancelled would of done better than Brooklyn D.A. – Maybe CBS shouldn’t of ticked off so many of their “older” viewers…you know the ones who actually watch television in the summer months.

• Esaul says:

We aren’t in possession of all their numbers. At this point, despite the viewership, CSI: NY;s ratings have declined. If they moved it to the summer, would it still be financially viable? Would the ratings still stay where they are, go up, or fall? I’m not sure, but I don’t recall any show moving from the typical TV season time frame to the summer (with Unforgettable as an exception). What we do know is that it’s cheaper to create a new show for the summer, not expect all too much ratings wise, than to continue to pour more money into an aging show that has seen a decline.

5. Chablis says:

I so agree with this.

6. Shaun says:

The Voice is overrated….I can’t believe so many people like that whole ”team” concept since it skews the judges opinions.I’d imagine there’s alot of deal making between the judges so the others won’t slam their singers.

7. I enjoyed Brooklyn DA, but I fear that it won’t do well in the future since it’s not the mindless drivel typical “reality” show watchers view. Personally, COPS was always the best original reality show, not the fake and staged “family/enemy confrontations”.

8. Babygate says:

After last night’s Body of Proof, I am so glad that they decided to cancel it. Everything about this show went wrong. Megan became unlikeable and unbearable this season and she was acting more like a cop than an ME, all the while running around in 4-inch heels. And the push-pull with Tommy only to quickly made up at the end made no sense. And to find out that the Chief was behind her father’s murder? How lame was that? And then she decides to get rid of all loose ends but one guy she shoots and the other she cuts off hands so he won’t be identified? When I first read about this show I was so excited. I thought it had such great potential, but after a disappointing season 1 and a worst s2, I’m glad it was cancelled.
    I was actually looking forward to Brooklyn DA but it felt pointless to me. We had snapshots of a case but no clear resolution. It felt more like a mish-mash of ideas thrown together without real structure or direction. The human trafficking case was so compelling only to find out that the girl lied about it and all I could think about was, that DA was working on this for two years. That’s government resources that were wasted because a case was built around a liar. It just made me angry. At the end, I quickly deleted it off my DVR. Not going back to that.

9. Caro says:

Body of Proof was doing great until ABC cancelled it! Americans are fickle and suffer from collective ADD – they don’t watch anything they think won’t be around! When will the networks learn? And when will the media be responsible and respectful? If they think a show is good they shouldn’t bash the ratings just to get more eyeballs on their online ads!

10. Lisa says:

ABC is crazy to have cancelled Body of Proof! The show had lots of fans, the ratings were okay and the show only needed two more seasons to have enough episodes to be syndicated!

11. Jake says:

I agree, what was ABC thinking? The whole demo thing is crap. The ratings system is outdated especially now with streaming/on demand and watching on the internet. Plus, what is wrong with ABC, they had a great show with two strong female leads, something hard to find on TV anymore. It’s not all about the 18-something demo. It’s ok to have a tv show that an older audience enjoys. Plus what the hell is up with the idiotic The Bachelor, The Bachelor Pad and The Bachelorette? Why do networks keep thinking this crap is entertainment? It’s an insult to anyone with a brain cell, oh wait, I forget, everyone knows you can go on national tv and find true love..What a crock! If you want to to aim for the 18-something demo, maybe you should change your name to “THE CW”.

12. drhenning says:

I enjoyed BOP but feel that they put a wrap on the show with that silly solution… The Captain was supposed to be 18 years or so older??? Give me a break.. In actuality, the reverse is true in that Dana Delany is about 5 years older…. But she looks great for mid to upper 50’s… She’ll probably still try and player younger parts while she looks so good…

13. alessia says:

Sono stato molto contento di aver trovato questo sito. Voglio dire grazie per il vostro tempo per questa lettura meravigliosa! Io sicuramente mi sto godendo ogni post e ho gia’ salvato il sito tra i segnalibri per non perdermi nulla!

14. Ed & Audrey Derby says:

Turn down the blasted background music. You get people talking in a whisper, then in comes the music…LOUD music. Keep it OUT of the shows. How often do you see music blasted when two people are trying to talk?!?!