Psych Finale Recaplet: Don't You Forget About Me

Get More: Finales, Recaps

Psych Season 7 Finale RecapFilmdom’s erstwhile Brian “The Nerd” Johnson made big, bad waves in the Psych Season 7 finale. Does this mean Gus, Shawn et al will be singing the blues in December’s musical episode?

RELATED | Hot for Summer! Your Guide to 125 Premiere and Finale Dates

Onetime Breakfast Clubber/Dead Zone psychic Anthony Michael Hall guest-starred as Harris “Is that a family name?” Trout, a former police chief/Badge & Honor consultant who’s been enlisted to crack the whip with Chief Vick’s team in the wake of a public display of crimesolving excess.

As the hour unfolds, Gus and Shawn recount how they caught the case in question — some nebbishy guy wanting to find the guys who poisoned him — and it takes a good, long while until they get to the part where they, you know, loop in the SBPD.

The twist in the case (I shan’t spoil it here) was one that anyone who has ever seen a TV procedural before saw coming down State Street. And though our guys eventually wound up nabbing the proper perp, Trout had seen more than enough to make a case for suspending Vick for six months, though she took the news rather well.

Annnnnd then the other shoes dropped: Psych - Season 7Under psychic-hating Trout’s purview, the SBPD would no longer be availing itself of Psych’s services. Lassiter has been demoted as head detective. McNab also got canned.

But hey, at least there’s the musical episode to anticipate… some six months from now. (The premiere date for the shortened Season 8 has yet to be announced.)

RELATED | USA Sets Summer Premieres for Burn Notice, Covert Affairs, Suits, New Graceland and More

Here now a few quotables, a list to which y’all will assuredly add, and then your comments.

* Shawn tallying the 100 homicides solved by the SBPD/Psych team, to which Trout can only note “a lack of deterrent” given the town’s “Murder Capital” status.

* “Things just got hairy, Santa Barbara-style.”

* Lassiter too-briefly taking command of the narration, positing himself as a David Caruso-like, Ray Bans-flipping crime solver: “Looks like we’ve got Fifty Shades of Grey… Matter.”

* Shawn and Gus arguing if there ever was a “bad episode of CHiPs.”

* “You said it was cake mix!” –  a distraught/disgusted Jules, upon realizing that Shawn had inadvertently dumped cremation ashes all over her.

* “I actually dance by the name Morningwood.”

* Shawn advising the killer that he’s been “upgraded to place just like Oz.” “Except,” Gus adds, “there is no wizard.” Um….

* At episode’s end, a steely Gus declaring, “It’s on now” — if only because Trout had appropriated his “Suuuuuuck Ittttt!” theme song.

What were your favorite moments from Psych‘s Season 7 finale?

Comments (43)

• Overall a pretty great episode. I still feel that Trout firing McNab was completely unnecessary. I also feel the SIX MONTH wait for the musical episode is completely unnecessary, but hey.

Comment by Melanie (@meluhhkneeee) – May 29, 2013 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree Completely it should be a six week wait instead.

Comment by Tom – May 30, 2013 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is my partner Bad News Marvin Barnes.
    I have bad news….freaking awesome!!! It hurts to wait until December for them to come back :(

Comment by KND – May 29, 2013 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate that they pushed back the actual finale to the Fall. I get that the musical episode is a big deal and that gaps between the show’s seasons can suck, but how is this better? I mean unless it turns out there’s some kind post-production issue I don’t see why they’re doing it, and last I checked there was no word on that.

Comment by Spinning Maze – May 29, 2013 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The musical is not the finale. This was the finale. The musical is just a stand-alone 2hr special episode

Comment by A – May 29, 2013 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Best lines of the episode:
      1) Lassiter: “I wanna get something off my chest” Trout: “That’s a job for the strongest waxer, isn’t it?” (This had me laughing so hard, AHAHAHA)
      2) Shawn: “You are the devil” Gus: “First of all, Shawn, the devil is white!” (LMAO Gus always kills me!)
      3) Trout: “How about you Magic Mike?” McNab: “I actually dance by the name Morning Wood.”

Loved it when Shawn hugged the chief! Can’t wait for the musical!

Comment by A – May 29, 2013 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry, this one was supposed to be a post on its own not in reply to yours.

Comment by A – May 29, 2013 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With what just happened, and with Maggie having a reduced role in season 8, my brain has no idea how season 8 will go. At all. I have so many questions! I need a post finale interview with Steve Franks STAT!

Comment by Amber Horton – May 29, 2013 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this!

Comment by jax – May 30, 2013 04:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • where has it been said she has a reduced role? as far as i know filming for season 8 ends before she needs to go off and film her new show so to me that means she will have the same role she always had.

Comment by Alan – May 30, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Woody makes me disgruntled, but it was still a great ep.

I really hope Buzz gets rehired! Love some underutilized Buzz McNab. I hope that they put in a legit reason for Jules to be gone for a few episodes, Buzz passes his detective exam and gets places as Lassiter’s temporary partner. Because hilarious.

The Dobson references always crack me up. I really hope he actually got cast for s8.

Best line: Your butt kissing is chopping my ass.

Comment by Kayla – May 29, 2013 11:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *placed as Lassiter’s partner

*chapping my ass

Yay typos.

Comment by Kayla – May 29, 2013 11:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Duran Duran fan board. ‘Nuff said.

Aaahhhhhhhhhhh it will be a long 6 months. This has been a very strong season.

Comment by Rae A (@xrae) – May 29, 2013 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one that got sidetracked by the electric pencil sharper with a manual sharper on the wall? I was thinking the poison was hidden in there.

Comment by Mia Schnaible – May 29, 2013 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Waiting 6 months for the musical is bad enough, but PLEASE tell me we’re not gonna have to wait another 18 months for the new season!!! That would require way too many snow cones to cope…

Comment by Jaime – May 29, 2013 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The abbreviated final season will probably be shown all in the fall, although they might extend the short order season to a proper 13 and split those in two chunks like how they did it this year. But the end of the show is near…unfortunately.

Comment by Quinn Mallory – May 30, 2013 04:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I guess it was a 16 episode season that is split into two chunks last year, they ran the 13 episode season all in one shot.

It is also a bit unclear whether the two part musical episode is part of the 8 confirmed season 8 episodes, leftover from season 7, or the 5 additional scripts ordered.

Comment by Quinn Mallory – May 30, 2013 04:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The musical is part of season 7 – it was supposed tobe part of the run with of episodes that just ended, but USA liked it so much they wanted to make an “event” out of it. Given that there should be at least 8 brand new Psych episodes coming our way. At some point. :)

Comment by jax – May 30, 2013 04:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was laughing so hard at Lassie’s recount of what happened at the crime scene. But why did they have to fire McNab?? I love him!

Anyways, can’t wait for the musical episode!

Comment by Babybop – May 29, 2013 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • At least they didn’t turn him into a rose. LOL

Comment by lyn – May 30, 2013 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also loved it when Trout said to Lassie, “OK Caruso”.

Comment by Jim – May 30, 2013 04:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any word on the extra 5 scripts USA ordered beyond the 8 episodes of season 8? i really really really hope we will get more Psych for season 8!!!

Also – was waiting for any Breakfast Club or Dead Zone shouts outs – did I miss them??

Comment by jax – May 30, 2013 04:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gonna have to paraphrase here:

Chief: “McNab’s a stripper?”
    Lassiter: “I guess you were too trashed at the bachelorette party to remember.”

Comment by Miss M – May 30, 2013 05:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is USA mistreating this show?It’s amazing,i really hope season 8 isnt the last,also i dont think Maggie Lawson’s show will be renewed.

Comment by Aleksandar Bobic – May 30, 2013 05:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • USA stopped caring about this show a couple of seasons ago when they kept delaying their season premieres. after season 6 i was actually surprised to hear that it got renewed for season 7. maggie’s show probably won’t even make it to the end of the first season, it will probably get cancelled after a few episodes…it sounds like a kind of eh show.

Comment by chloe – May 30, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • After some research,it looks like psych has great ratings,which makes this even more retarded and weird :D.I really think its the best show on usa,suits is good but not that good,all other shows are kinda hit or miss at times.

Comment by Aleksandar Bobic – May 30, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Comcast now owns NBC/USA, doesn’t it? Their focus has always been making profits from less main stream stuff. I assume Psych could not be a lead in to pay stuff they carry. I notice that USA shows have less of a happy spin, lately. I love Psych! Comcast, keep it! Keep it the way it was!

Comment by prish – May 30, 2013 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • James Roday and Dule Hill pretty much confirmed couple weeks ago in USA upfronts event that 8th season will be the last.

Comment by Saskatoon – May 31, 2013 03:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We really enjoy this show! It is ridiculous how long USA makes us wait between seasons :(

Comment by Susan – May 30, 2013 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one super curious as to why Juliet was basically the only one not punished at the end? I know no one knew of Maggie’s new show while filming it, but I wonder why she wasn’t demoted or something.

Comment by Amber Horton – May 30, 2013 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My guess is she wasn’t immediately punished because she was the only one who didn’t immediately mouth off to Trout after Chief Vick got suspended. And firing Shawn and Gus pretty much takes care of the issue of her dating someone hired by the SBPD.

Comment by Lucy – May 30, 2013 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i just want psych to get emilio estevez for season 8 since it will most likely be the final season. i need my breakfast club guest stars to be complete!

Comment by chloe – May 30, 2013 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • are they really only one off from completing breakfast club bingo? i dont remember judd nelson appearing.

Comment by Alan – May 30, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Judd Nelson was in the Season 4 episode “Death is in the Air”, when the deadly virus came to Santa Babara and everyone thought Juliet was infected. He played the Doctor.

Comment by steph – May 30, 2013 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, thery’re missing three–Emilio Estavez, Rob Lowe, and Demi Moore. Moore may be along shot, but I see no reason why the other two can’s guest star.

Comment by S. – May 30, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry S. but you’re confusing your Brat-Pack movies… Demi Moore and Rob Lowe were in St. Elmo’s Fire, not The Breakfast Club.

Comment by Zeph – May 30, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was an OK episode, but so far, for me, nothing compares to “Last Night Gus”.

Comment by lyn – May 30, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • nothing in the history of comedy will ever compare to last night gus so its pointless to judge an episode based on how it lives up to it.

Comment by Alan – May 30, 2013 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want McNab back! Cannot fire McNab. I was actually hoping that episodes would feature more of him, and Woody, of course. Chief Vick is only on suspension, so we know she will return…..eventually! Must have more psych….. by the end of the summer the jones will kick in…..

Comment by bobbie – May 30, 2013 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand why Psych isn’t promoted better. There is a whole group of people out there who haven’t seen an episode. Once you tell someone who hasn’t seen Psych and they see an episode they are hooked. I know I have brought this to a bunch of people who didn’t know it was on. There is so much in each episode besides the story, 80′s references, movie, music references, the nick names etc. What are you thinking USA/Comcast give them a little more money and see what they can do.

Comment by Thompy – June 5, 2013 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This might sound cheesy, but this only show on TV that TRULY makes me happy. No matter what kind of day I’m having, watching it (even reruns I’ve seen a million times) ALWAYS makes me laugh. A show I can even watch with my teenagers (even though they don’t get the 80′s references). LOL So to the powers that be, Please, please, please …. give it another chance!!!!

Comment by Kathryn – June 5, 2013 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this show is too good to end now. I don’t get cable channels treating there great shows like this. if season 8 is the sad end I wish they’d give it a full season and Emilio needs to come on and bring his dad for a little west wing reunion.

Comment by Patti – June 7, 2013 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have really enjoyed Shawn and Gus and all the other people on Psych, I really hate that this is their last season and wish the producers could keep it going , but I understand that some times circumstances stand in the way and can’t be helped, just hope you have something as good to take its place.
    MB from Asheville