Rob Lowe, Ginnifer Goodwin to Play JFK and First Lady Jackie in NatGeo's Killing Kennedy

1B973F8EThis is, literally, some perfect casting.

Parks and Recreation prince Rob Lowe and Once Upon a Time princess Ginnifer Goodwin have been tapped to portray President John F. Kennedy and First Lady “Jackie” in NatGeo’s Killing Kennedy, a factual drama based on the novel by Bill O’Reilly and Martin Dugard.

À la NatGeo’s Killing Lincoln, which was based on O’Reilly/Dugard’s first collaboration and this past President’s Day Weekend earned record ratings for the cabler, Killing Kennedy will track JFK and his one-day assassin Lee Harvey Oswald in the years leading up to that fateful motorcade through Dallas in 1963.

Oswald has yet to be cast, but Gossip Girl’s Michelle Trachtenberg will play his Russian wife Marina.

Lowe, who this past Sunday “raised eyebrows” as Liberace’s plastic surgeon in HBO’s Behind the Candelabra, previously walked the White House on The West Wing. Goodwin’s other TV credits include Big Love.

Production on Killing Kennedy is set to start next month in Richmond, Va., with an eye on a late-2013 premiere.

1. lyn says:

IMO they are both too attractive to play the Kennedys.

• Butters says:

Agreed the Kennedys are really not that attractive. The women tend to look like horses.

• april-ann says:

Jack and Bobby were attractive and had serious sex appeal. Agree about the Kennedy women, and some of the wives looked like that too. But not Jackie. She had style and class out the wazoo and was pretty to boot. She was graciousness personified and that was impressive at her young age.

• Butters says:

Jackie had style and grace but not as pretty as people think. No Princess Grace but hot as hell compared to Mamie Eisenhower. But I get your point.

• EveatEden says:

I agree april-ann, this is PERFECT casting!! Love them both!

2. ALEX says:

ROB Lowe and Greg Kinnear,
    two of my fav actors,
    both have played JFK.

• Shuayb says:

Yeah Kinnear did a good job, it was that Katie Holmes who spoiled that one. But Lowe I think will do justice to it…

3. How many documentaries do we need about JFK’s assassination? To me we should just move on. I mean yes it was lasting history event but no need to keep making documentaries.

• Shuayb says:

Hollywood doesn’t have any original stories… They must go back to what is ‘tried and tested’ or what has been done a million and one times before. Beside just watch the ratings will be good because Americans and even those abroad have a deep fascination with the Kennedys and JFK’s assassination.

4. Bob says:

Hasn’t this horse been beaten to death? It’s getting to be like the “WWII” (History) Channel.

5. Et al. says:

First The Bible and now Bill O’Reilly adaptations? Is The History Channel just doing all fiction now?

6. Paul says:

“Goodwin’s other TV credits include Big Love.”

Ed! Also Ed!

7. I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

Wait — Rob Lowe is going to be in a movie that isn’t on Lifetime?

8. Rob says:

I’ll only accept this if she plays It as Snow playing Jackie and he plays it as Chris Traeger playing JFK.

9. Louise says:

Mmh, like both actors but not sure about casting them in those roles. Doesn’t really work in my head, but might be swayed by the final product of course. I do agree that it’s a topic that’s pretty overdone though.

10. JJ says:

Love both Rob and Ginnifer but can’t sit through another JFK biopic. The stories been told way too many times before.

11. JBC says:

I look forward to it. JFK was a very beloved President. As far as Rob Lowe, I think it is good casting. I am unsure of Gennifer Goodwin as Jackie, but I think she is a good actress.

• Butters says:

JFK was really only beloved because he was assassinated. Check your history and facts. People seem to over look or forget that fact that he lead the pathway to the esculation of Viet Nam. Also was not really involve in Civil Rights like people think he was.

• S. says:

No, that was Lyndon B. Johnson. But Johnson was a horrible awful person and wasn’t tragically assassinated. Kennedy is prettier and younger and an easier to romanticize.

• JBC says:

Butters, Maybe you’re right about the politics, but as a child to see the assasination of your President leaves a big impression, at least it did to me..Remembering his kids being close to my age losing their dad, that was about all I understood at that time.