TVLine Items: Matthew Rhys Is Mr. Darcy, Melissa & Joey Renewed for Season 4 and More!

Matthew Rhys Mr Darcy BBCAn “American” has been tapped to play a beloved Brit.

The AmericansMatthew Rhys will portray Pride and Prejudice‘s Mr. Darcy in BBC’s upcoming three-part project Death Comes To Pemberley.

RELATED | The Americans Bosses on Granny’s Future and More Season 2 Plans

Based on the suspense novel by P.D. James, the project — which is timed to P and P‘s 200th anniversary — centers on three of author Jane Austen’s iconic characters: Elizabeth Bennet, George Wickham and, of course, Mr. Darcy.

Anna Maxwell Martin has been cast as Elizabeth, and Matthew Goode will bring George to the small screen.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• ABC Family has picked up (a lot!) more Melissa & Joey. The cabler on Tuesday gave the sitcom (which returns May 29) a Season 3 back order and renewed it for a fourth season, making it ABC Family’s first comedy to reach 100 episodes.

• Oscar winner Melissa Leo (Louie) will co-star in Fox’s upcoming event series Wayward Pines. From The Sixth Sense director M. Night Shyamalan, Pines is described as an “intense, mind-bending thriller” that centers on Secret Service agent Ethan Burke’s (Matt Dillon) search for two missing agents in the titular town. Leo joins as an unpredictable nurse who cares for Ethan when he finds himself in the hospital.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

• CNN’s new Morgan Spurlock-helmed and -hosted docu-series Inside Man premieres Sunday, June 23.

• Brooke Burns (Baywatch) will host GSN’s new quiz show The Chase, Deadline reports.

• Barry Manilow will once again headline PBS’ Fourth of July-themed concert event A Capitol Fourth, per TV Guide Magazine.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Premieres, Reality TV, Renewals, TVLine Items

1. Maggie says:

I kind of LOVE that casting of Matthew Rhys, it makes a heck of a lot more sense than Vincent Kartheiser playing him at the Guthrie this summer. It’s a tricky role, though.

• gdv says:

Love the Matthew Rhys casting. A little puzzled about Anna Maxwell Martin as Elizabeth though. Don’t get me wrong, she’s a great actress, but I’m just having a hard time picturing her as Elizabeth.

2. Kresh says:

Thought it said Joey the spin off :OOOO then I was like ehm let’s look at the whole text.. :'(

3. K. says:

YAY! Love Melissa & Joey but please put them together soon…

4. Kat says:

while i’m happy for the melissa & joey fans, i am disappointed there has been no renewal announcement for bunheads.

• Holly says:

Me, too. I love Melissa and Joey, but why are they making the Bunheads fans wait so long for an answer? I need my Michelle fix!!

5. JJ says:

Love Melissa and Joey! Can’t wait for the new season to start tomorrow.

6. A says:

So happy Melissa & Joey is renewed. New season tomorrow!!!

7. ABC Family went ahead and ordered two seasons of “Clarissa & Joey,” but we can’t get an announcement on “Bunheads,” Whoa!

8. Tran TV says:

ABC Family better renew The Lying Game and/or Bunheads soon or we riot.

9. nick1372 says:

Yes! More Melissa & Joey!

10. Esaul says:

They took a while renewing The Lying Game first time around. I fear that it might get axed. Bunheads though, I’m surprised. I hope they do renew it, but I’m preparing for bad news right now.

11. Babybop says:

Yay! Melissa and Joey! I hope Baby Daddy will get renewed after this season as well.

When are we going to get Bunheads news by the way? I’m dying here!

12. Jenn says:

Can’t believe there are more comments about Melissa and Joey than P&P casting. I’m all for the Goode casting but those other 2 DO NOT fit the roles! BBC normally does an excellent job of casting but I think they missed the mark this time.

13. mia says:

Odd that its not a Brit playing Darcy. Just seems….wrong. But Matthew MacFayden played him to such perfection in the Kiera Knightly adaptation, that I fear no other will compare. (And yes, I do believe MacFayden did a better job than Firth – the blasphemy! Lol).

14. KyleScott says:

Does somebody know how many episodes M&J’s third season will have ?

15. ragoo16 says:

i like this casting for Death comes to Pemberly but i read the book and it was terrible. Elizabeth had a very small part & Darcy did not act anything like he was in P&P. Maybe they can do a better job with the movie.