The Voice Top 8 Performance Recap: Hold Your Breath and Count to 10 [Updated]

Usher The Voice Season 4NBC’s The Voice has a lot of fantastic qualities — stellar vocalists, positive energy, the limitation of Christina Milian’s ineptitude to two or three mercifully brief interview segments per episode — but subtlety ain’t one of ‘em.

Indeed, a cursory examination of the performance order from last week’s Top 10 telecast and this week’s Top 8 show reveals that certain contestants have been unfairly marooned in top-of-the-episode “death slots” that veteran reality TV viewers know are synonymous with results-night exits. To be more specific, this week’s 1-2-3-4 solo performance slots were mired in the 2-1-3-5 slots last week. Meanwhile, front-runners Daniele Bradbery and Michelle Chamuel have never performed earlier than No. 7 in performance order since the live voting rounds began. Come on, Mark Burnett…that’d be like having a Survivor camera guy secretly hand-hold a contestant till he or she was within 3 feet of a hidden immunity idol. (Wait, the camera guys on Survivor don’t actually do that, do they?)

Whatever the case may be, what began as a showdown among a pretty evenly matched Top 8 soon found four singers — Judith, Michelle, Danielle and Amber — beginning to separate themselves from their rivals. Without further ado, let’s cut to the set list (along with my letter grades) for the 120 minute concert.

Judith Hill: will.i.am (featuring Justin Bieber)’s “#thatPOWER” | From a strategic standpoint, it was risky for Judith to choose vibe over vocals and grit over glory notes, but I appreciated her effort to make something more (and different) (and vastly more interesting) of an inconsequential pop trifle. Swathed in a cape of feathers and rocking a Sanjaya-esque “ponyhawk” that looked in silhouette like the crest of some strange exotic bird, Judith brought funk and tempo to the Voice stage, and didn’t have any troubles maneuvering the tight curves of will.i.am’s ditty with her Mack-truck sized voice. Judith may be too far polished to appeal to voters who like their reality-show pop stars to emerge from half-shells of complete anonymity, but this week she convinced me  that she could be a viable player on today’s Billboard Hot 100. Grade: A-

Holly Tucker: The Band Perry’s “Done” | You can’t fault Holly when it comes to vocal consistency: The still-active college student hits her notes like Katniss Everdeen at target practice. But there’s still something uninspired about her delivery — a shallowness of emotional connection, maybe — that leaves me thinking “She’d be great at karaoke night” or “I might’ve voted for her if she’d had another five years of life experience” rather than “I can’t wait to buy her record next fall.” Grade: B

Judith, Michelle, Sarah and Sasha: Rihanna’s “Diamonds” | I’m just going to come out and say it: Individually, these women have talent, but together, they operated as naturally and purposefully as the combination of a fork, a woodchipper, a gallon of 2% milk and a box of Kleenex. I couldn’t wait for it to end…and upon second listen, I realize I was way too generous with my inital letter grade. Grade: C D+

The Swon Brothers: The Eagles’ “Seven Bridges Road” | I’m not gonna lie: It bugged me that the trio of background singers overpowered Zach and Colton for at least half of their Eagles cover — especially because, from what I could tell, their vocals simply weren’t as on point as last week. No, the end product wasn’t terrible, but Usher’s use of “incredible” in triplicate strained the outer boundaries of credulity. Adam made a half-hearted attempt to point out the aforementioned pitch snafus, but then retreated under a blanket of disingenuous self-deprecation: “I’m just being stupid and picky. I’m sorry.” Urgh, dude, that’s your job! And you’re paid wayyy too much to be shirking it in the hopes someone else will get it done. Grade: B

Sasha Allen: David Guetta (featuring Usher)’s “Without You” | Shakira has been a delight during her maiden voyage on The Voice — she’s got great chemistry with her fellow judges and seems really invested in her contestants. But can you imagine how much more successful a coach she’d have been if she’d wound up with a final three of Luke Edgemon, Shawna P and Cathia? I know some TVLine readers adore Sasha, but to me she’s like orange marmalade or oysters or chardonnay — flavors I just can’t get excited about. Sasha’s rendition of “Without You” had so much vibrato that I wondered if there was a tower of laundry machines on spin cycle beneath the platform where she began her performance. Worse still, though, the gorgeous young mom went intermittently flat throughout the verses — making me wonder if those dancers in Hazmat gear had been sent in to clean up the notes she’d made toxic. Grade: C-

Sarah Simmons: Gotye’s “Somebody That I Used to Know” | Sarah’s got a lovely, ethereal tone to her voice, except for those moments where it sounds like she’s broken out a shot glass full of battery acid, gargled it and then let out some kind of guttural animal shriek. Granted, I felt like there were times early in the season where Sarah used the raspier parts of her voice to bring to life darker and stormier emotions in her songs. Lately though, that grit has been used more arbitrarily — and much less pleasantly — almost as if Sarah is going backward in terms of her technique. (Where’s her coach at, yo!?) Oh, and that well-concealed dig from Shakira — that Gotye’s 2011 smash has already been done “several times” on The Voice (by Daniel Rosa and Lindsey Pavao, to be specific) — definitely had merit. Grade: C-

Amber, Danielle, Holly and the Swon Brothers: Sugarland’s “Something More” | I couldn’t shake the thought that the chorus of Sugarland’s 2005 hit was a close cousin of Hanson’s “Mmmbop,” but these four acts  sounded rock-solid (if not thoroughly thrilling) joining forces to bring it on home for the country-music fans in the audience. Grade: B

Michelle Chamuel: Bruno Mars’ “Grenade” | I liked Usher’s idea of making Michelle’s voice the “loudest instrument on stage” — especially since The Voice house band sometimes steamrolls the show’s more subtle vocalists. And yet while the final arrangement sacrificed Bruno’s percussive urgency — transforming it into what wound up sounding like “Grenade” as reimagined by Meatloaf — it nevertheless showcased Michelle’s versatility, not to mention the way she authentically conveys whatever emotion a song requires. I love the tremulousness she brought to her softer notes — without ever going off pitch — and the rocker-girl danger that emanated off her when she went into a crouch and howled. And while it’s not really a legit reason to cast a vote, Usher’s connection with his last remaining contestant is undoubtedly the most endearing of any coach-contestant combo this season. Michelle loves Usher. He loves her. He even dons black-framed glasses to keep a visual sense of unity on game night. #Adorbs Grade: A-

Danielle Bradbery: The Judds’ “Grandpa (Tell Me ‘Bout the Good ‘Ol Days)” | Everything about Danielle’s performance — the old-fashioned swing on a rural porch set, the windowbox of flowers behind her, Blake’s insistence that her song about Grandpappy’s value system “matters now more than ever” — transported me back to the early ’80s era when my grade-school self would occasionally tune in to Barbara Mandrell and the Mandrell Sisters variety show. (Oh no, I just realized that I’m playing the role of grandpa and telling you ’bout the good ‘old days!) Anyhow, the verses were definitely pitched a little low for Danielle’s comfort zone — not that any of the coaches called out this fact — but she did seem really connected to her song, and showed off that big, honey-kissed voice of hers to beautiful effect on the chorus. I can’t pretend the aura of inevitability surrounding the likelihood of Danielle’s Season 4 win doesn’t aggravate me a bit, but as long as Blake keeps coaching her to hit up-the-middle doubles that play to her country core, the kid is gonna keep building a sizeable lead over her competitors. Grade: A-

Amber Carrington: Adele’s “Skyfall” | Hallelujah! Amber not only survived last week’s disastrous Kelly Clarkson cover, but reemerged as a serious conteder with a vocal on “Skyfall” that had an almost condor-like wingspan. What was even more amazing was that Amber looked genuinely nervous as she slinked out from behind the piano and began to take on Adele’s sweeping James Bond theme, but those nerves never registered in Amber’s voice. I loved the little gritty twist she gave to the pre-chorus, and the pure diva showboating of the final run of glory notes. The girl is a superstar in the making — though I sometimes feel like that should happen in the pop lane moreso than country. The only thing that I didn’t care for was Adam declaring that no prior Voice contestant had ever done an Adele song justice — despite having coached Amanda Brown when she proved beyond brilliant last season with “Someone Like You.” Better be great the next few weeks, Amber, how because your coach seems to have problems with his memory! Grade: A-

Should Go Home: Sasha and Sarah
Will Go Home: Holly and Sarah

And with that, let me turn things over to you. What did you think of Season 4 Top 8 performance night? What did you think of the coaches’ comments? Who was your favorite? Who’s going to be in trouble come results night? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments, and for all my reality TV news, recaps, interviews and videos, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Danny says:

With the understanding I like all 8 of these contestants, today wasn’t quite up to previous weeks. It wasn’t brutal or anything, just an overall B-/C+ type night. My 2 early favs (Judith & Sarah) were at the bottom along w/ Sasha IMO.
    On the good end of things, I thought Holly Tucker was Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan-Tastic!!!! I thought the Swon Brothers were extremely good too. Each week they grow on me a little more. Danielle is getting better too. She’s not just a good singer for a kid, she’s a good singer. Props to Michelle too. So those 4 were my favs. Amber was a notch below.
    As for the group songs, the first one I didn’t like at all. The 2nd one I enjoyed quite a bit. I have no clue as to who’s going home, but if it were up to me it would be Judith and Sarah. If they stick around, I’ll be fine. It’s not like I want them gone. It’s just that we’re now at the point where someone good has to go home.

• GTS says:

Really? You even thought Amber’s Skyfall was a B?

• Danny says:

I hadn’t really given em grades. But yea, I’d put her in the B/B+ range. My A/A+ would have been given to Holly. That’s 2 weeks in a row she’s won the night in my eyes. She only got a B from Micheal though. So I dunno. I think they’re all pretty close. Overall I’m pretty happy with things. I’m going to enjoy next week no matter who goes through.

• Joline says:

Amber sounded phenomenal, glad she made a comeback. At risk of sounding like Nicki Minaj with a style note, I really wish she would dye her hair dark brown. She would look amazing and stand apart from the random blondes.

• Lee says:

I would give Amber a B. Maybe even lower than that. Was it just me or did it seem like Adam made some really bad song choices for his team? I thought it was difficult for Judith to connect to a song like that. I felt Sarah wanted to sing the crap out of the Gotye song but couldn’t because it didn’t suit her vocals. And IMO Skyfall would be the wrong song choice for anyone. It’s too theatrical. Like Judith how could Amber connect to a song like that?!

Overall I was underwhelmed by the performances tonight. I already talked about Adam’s team. I’m getting tired of Blake’s team singing nothing but country music. I know they’re country singers, but this is still a singing competition and Blake sound try to show how versatile they are.

I felt Michelle turned in the best performance of the night.

• Alice says:

Judith chose her song herself and Adam said he was skeptical about it

• Chris says:

I don’t understand your comment about the country singers needing to sing other genres in order to show versatility. Are you also suggesting that Michelle and Judith should sing country songs in order to show versatility?

• HTGR says:

So now Skyfall is considered a poor song and too theatrical? In the real world that was considered one of the best and most acclaimed songs of the year.
            Amber did well with it and I’m sure it would’ve suited Sasha very well.

• Lee says:

@ Chris: I am suggesting that. Both Kree and Janelle had to sing other genres on Idol. As a matter of fact, one of my favorite performances from Janelle was from Motown week. I felt she did a stellar job of You Keep Me Hanging On. If anything, it’ll liven up Blake’s “complacent” team.

• Dean says:

Has anyone commented on how Adam looked like he was getting ready to film a sequel to Oh Brother Where Art Thou? His prison shirt was mighty odd.

• Cairi says:

LOL! Yes, I even commented to my hubby how Adam looked like he was in a prison uniform. He really needs to burn that shirt.

• Flicker says:

LOL so true!

• Stephanie says:

Don’t be so critical. Adam’s style is not everyone’s taste, but I like his simplicity. He doesn’t
        need to make a fashion statement. The show is not about he’s sense of style. I like the fact he dresses like the majority of the country. Not pretentious, simple and himself.

• BillyBob says:

I absolutely agree with all your points. Judith and her gimmick hair and Sarah needs to go home.

• Jasmine says:

I cannot STAND Sarah Simmons. There’s just something about her that rubs me the wrong way totally. She’s a good singer, definitely. But….just…I don’t like her…AT ALL! Every time I see her I’m like “Uhhh(in my disgusting voice)! You again.” She cannot win this show. GO MICHELLE CHAMUEL! I love you! She’s definitely one of the ones to beat. Just love her. America! Vote for Michelle Chamuel!

• Joline says:

Michelle is my favorite…just so unique. And the Usher/Michelle bond is really fun to watch.

• Lee says:

Judith and Michelle are my faves.

• Jasmine says:

I agree on Michelle. Judith’s great, but she’s not one of my favorites. But I loved her performance last night. She brought it!

• DJ says:

I agree with you. I couldn’t stand Sarah either, and I’m glad she’s gone.

• Jasmine says:

Yes, me as well. Goodbye Sarah Simmons. But I did not expect Holly Tucker to make it over Judith Hill. But whatever. As long as Michelle is there and Sasha too…and Amber to some extent, I’m happy.

• Brendan says:

Was I the only one that found the Swon Brothers extremely monotonous tonight? Except for the few verses near the end, it was almost like the record was skipping and the same sounding phrase was being song over and over and over again. I wouldn’t mind seeing them in the bottom two this week…

• HTGR says:

Yeah I think they’ve had their run. But I doubt the voters as a whole agree. They are country and even more, team Blake, so they are sticking around.

• Kyrsten says:

Totally they were a little pitchy and a little sloppy too and Blake told them to be careful I think they should go and most were not singing their best like Sasha holly and I hate to say it but Michelle

• tomitweets says:

Judith is a polished, exceptional performer. I hated this song and disappointed with the whole thing. She was for me the weakest link along with Holly.

• sofia says:

The only thing I thought throughout this whole episode is that Usher needs to really stop saying ‘incredible’. Pick up a thesaurus son.

I’m finding the Voice tiresome these days. I know the show prides itself on it’s percieved lack of drama and pettiness and love to describe eachother as ‘family’ but how boring is it watching them fawn all over eachother (judges over eachother, judges over contestants) for no good reason. No judge will offer vital constructive criticism and if they do make a comment that’s even slightly negative, it will come baked in a triple decker double chocolate fudge cake. Sickly sweet and at the end of the day, ridiculously false and ingenuine. And ultimately boring.

Every comment is a strange amalgamation of “OMG you were so amazing [if Usher enter the word incredible as is appropriate which appears to be all the freaking time because why the hell not], you’re SUCH an artist, I love you, you were amazing’ and 9 times out of 10 the contestant was decent to mediocre.

• senor skippy says:

I agree on the feedback part, not necessarily the talent. However, as I recall, Idol (admittedly I haven’t watched in years) was sappy, fawning, etc., especially Randy Jackson. But….. Idol has put out several star performers, and The Voice has yet to put ONE out there through 4 seasons. We are chomping at the bit for Voice to produce a winner of national attention, and I think they are following the example of heaping praise while limiting negative feedback, just like Idol, so their performers are perceived as great and deserving of national acclaim.
        I do believe that Judith and Danielle are the only two who have a chance to be the first to achieve national stardom. They have been the most consistent week to week.

• Sookie says:

I think it would at least be something if the coaches would give some notes to the singer at the next coaching session regarding the last performance. I don’t find a lot of value in hearing each coach say the same positive thing so if they are not going to be constructive maybe just have the singers own coach comment and skip the rest.

• senor skippy says:

Good point, but be careful what you wish for. You may get a shorter show, or more of Christina Milian

• sofia says:

Exactly. I think the problem is borne out of having ‘teams’. There should not be any teams. Is there a fan out there who gives a damn which coach each contestant chooses? I don’t think so. Seriously, you don’t support a contestant because of their coach or whatever. You support them because you think they’re great. The coaches then heap ridiculous praise onto their own contestants regardless of how good they were because they want them to stay and then the other coaches don’t want to be too critical incase it looks strategic or bitter. Maybe just do what Idol do which is if 3/4 chairs turn you’re through and from then on the ‘coaches’ can be ‘judges’ and say what they feel without having their intentions and focus split between trying to keep their contestant happy with what they actually thought of the performance. The reason why the Voice has never borne a star is because nobody watches the Voice for the singers, they watch it for the coaches. They like the fun banter between the coaches and how hot Adam Levine is. That’s literally it. Most people I know stop watching after the blind auditions and I think I’m going to end up the same way because there is literally no value in any of the other rounds since it just becomes a stupid love in over how great everyone is. This mentoring business is the reason why X Factor has never been and will never be as good as Idol was. Also I find myself cringing and rolling my eyes at all the ‘my life has changed because of this’ stuff from the acts because we all know they will fall straight back into the obscurity they came from the minute the season ends.

• Sofia – I am a writer, so overuse of any word irritates the B-jesus out of me. Not only does Michelle Chamuels work a stage; albeit however ungainly – she sings the crap out of a song! It is always “lovely” and she is modest and humble to boot. Do we need another DIVA? Last year – Cassidy Pope announced, “I KNEW IT!” as they called her name. C’mon. May we please go with someone who has actually feels emotion for another person or …cat? To help – Michelle Chamuel is uniquely talented and her vocal coach is skilled. That hug? Might well be registered into American historical television, and I only hope I am there for the group hug.

Best,

Rivka

• Flicker says:

To me, Amber’s Skyfall was a straight A

2. Dan (Haleyloony) says:

“You are the only person who has ever done an Adele song justice in this stage.” Amanda Brown!!!!!!
    LOOOVED Michelle, Amber, and Judith.

• Danny says:

How fast they forget eh? Off the subject, but I guess Blake had someone from season 2 on stage w/ him today. I didn’t see that season, but from what I gathered that blonde was on his team in season 2. CeeLo seems to keep in close touch w/ his teams. I’m curious as to if Adam does or not.

• Dan (Haleyloony) says:

Maybe Adam will now and then tweet some of his former contestants, but only if they make it to the top 6.

• algalhi says:

Gwen Sebastian was on Blake’s team in season 2 – I loved her! I was heartbroken when he cut her, but had a feeling he would give her some opportunities. He is a loyal coach. Who remembers that he took my first season fav, Dia Frampton, on tour with him, and she wasn’t even country!

• Alice says:

I almost started crying when Adam said that. I felt so betrayed.

• YL says:

Amanda Brown is long gone. She may have the voice but you need other things to stand out. She just doesn’t have those star things.

• whosays says:

Adam is diagnosed ADHD. He can’t remember what someone sang yesterday, let alone last season.

3. Rick says:

Great review! I think I agree for the most part, with just a few exceptions.
    1. Judith Hill: So Judith has current pop potential after all – I could totally see Beyoncé doing something like this – and she managed to arrange an upbeat, exciting song in a way that also showed off her vocals.
    2. Amber Carrington: I suspect my remaining favorite is probably constantly in danger in the voting on this show, but after this performance, it’s hard to say why-I initially thought this song would have better suited Sasha, but Amber kind of killed it with that huge voice of hers.
    3. Sarah Simmons: I didn’t think the song suited her voice perfectly, but she sang it really well, and her stage presence and ability to emote have improved dramatically this season.
    4. Danielle Bradbery: She finally sang an age-appropriate song, singing well as usual, and it was consequently far more relatable than her past few performances about mortality and alcoholism – she could stand to emote more, but this was great.
    5. Michelle Chamuel: She’s one of my favorites, but this song didn’t suit her at all; still, she sang it as well as she could and really tried to perform the heck out of it, but I think the song limited her (side note: Carson babbling while Usher tried to speak? No thank you!).
    6. Holly Tucker: Vocally this was great, and the song choice was fantastic, but Holly’s stage presence was a bit lacking at times, especially in comparison with preceding act Judith.
    7. The Swon Brothers: There were some timing and vocal issues throughout, but I suspect this song will do well on iTunes and give the guys a boost.
    8. Sasha Allen: Between Judith, Holly, the Swons and Sasha, this was probably the most energetic start the show has had this season; the big notes were good, but the rest was pitchy and overdone with vibrato, despite the judges’ high praises.
    Note #1: The production value of these performances has increased dramatically tonight!
    Note #2: With regard to his “no one has done Adele justice” comment – did Adam forget Amanda’s incredible rock version of “Someone Like You” last season?
    Should Go: Sasha Allen & The Swon Brothers
    Will Go: Holly Tucker & Sasha Allen

• Maggie says:

I know the same people may not watch both shows, but The Band Perry was on the AI Finale last week and did Done with Janelle Arthur and it sounded fantastic. Holly’s vocals sounded great, my issue was that I didn’t believe her, it felt too nice. Kimberly Perry’s voice is distinct and has that raspy quality that gives the song an extra kick.

• crispy says:

I agree, great vocals but the emotional connection was not quite there. I swear she was smiling during the last part.

• Maggie says:

She was! For Done to be effective & for those lyrics to hit right, it has to have a “take no prisoners, bad ass” attitude, and I just wasn’t feeling it.

• AlyB says:

I agree with this too. Janelle Klee this with The Band Perry. Holly’s vocal was good but there was just no performance there.

• AlyB says:

Ugh typo plus auto correct and no edit button LOL. I meant Janelle killed it w/ TBP.

• Chablis says:

Not sure they sang done …

• Dan (Haleyloony) says:

They did.

• tiff says:

The voice production and crew as well as the coaches should have someone watching other competition shows because I myself and a bunch of other viewers are getting burned out because they keep repeating same songs already done on idol and x factor. Its really becoming old. And song choices are being picked from coaches and that’s been shakiras big problem. Don’t know why she chooses the songs she has and seems to be a problem for usher also. Thats their downfall

• BillyBob says:

Totally spot on! Kimberly Perry’s vocal has attitude and does indeed has that high octane kick in the A**. Please where was Holly’s hair banging moment? :)

• Maggie says:

She just needed to let go a little more, I wanted to see the beats of the song pack a punch and it just didn’t happen

• The Beach says:

I guess I have to disagree with your comments about Michelle. I thought the song suited her perfectly and she sang the heck out of it. I’ve heard a lot of singers cover this song and Michelle was about the best. My cold, atrophied heartstrings even got tugged on a bit. It was the only performance I watched twice.

• rio says:

Couldn’t agree more. Michelle sang it beautifully, but it was also the only song on the whole show I actually liked. Of all the Eagles songs–Seven Bridges Road?? And that Grandpa song about the good old days? Corny and phoney. Danielle has sung better in the past. She does have a great, pure voice.

• Sookie says:

I know what you mean about Seven Bridges Road. I have been waiting for the Swon Bros to sing an Eagles song and they pick the one with a 5 part harmony??? I wish they would have just left the 2 of them and cut out the background singers, It wouldn’t have sounded like the original but the boys (especially Colton) would not have gotten drowned out.

• Sookie says:

I just listened to the itunes version of Seven Bridges Road and it was so much better! BTW Daniel is number 12 and Michelle #13.

• Paul says:

Totally agree. Why not Take It Easy? Harmonies that can easily be pulled off by 2 singers.

• HTGR says:

Yeah, it did seem kind of weird to have like more than half the MAIN song being sung by the background. It’s not like it was someone with background singers it was like they were all mixed together into an extended group which seemed a bit sketchy.

• Sookie says:

So when I listened to the itunes version the harmonies were much more clear and Colton was much louder. I can’t help but wonder if there was a mic problem last night. Still they should stick to songs with 2 part harmony for the live show.

• Rick says:

To be honest, the Top 5 were extremely close for me. I just think “Grenade” is a hard song to do a lot with. She did really well, but I just think a different song could have put her over the top.

• MC says:

The Meat Loaf type of arrangement for Grenade was unsettling and I didn’t get much out of that performance. It was lot like her True Colors from earlier this season. I know most people loved both of those vocals from her, but I always think of the best versions (and best arrangements) of those songs and Michelle was just okay in comparison. Anyone who hasn’t listened to Cyndi Lauper’s original True Colors, do yourself a favor. It is haunting and stays with you. I did think that Michelle did great on Just Give Me A Reason. That was my favorite from her this season. Also, arrangements can be a real tricky thing. I love Titanium, but only when it is sung as an ultra power ballad. Angie and Adam sang a very Meat Loaf version of it on the AI finale. Many people loved it, but that arrangement drained the power and raw emotion from the song and it merely sounded pretty to me (similar to Michelle’s covers of Grenade and True Colors). I actually like Angie, but her penchant for theatricality was what turned off some voters and probably kept her out of the finale. Michelle is probably perceived as a more sincere vocalist than Angie, but at this point I still prefer Amber and Danielle (and probably Judith) over Michelle.
        The most disappointing for me is Sasha. She killed it on Oh Darling, but hasn’t connected with a song since then and has also had very spotty technique. I think a good part of is nerves and she is trying too hard to overpower every song. A little restraint is a good thing.

• Danni says:

I’d like Michelle to come out next week dressed like Judith Hill was this week. That would basically make my entire year, and in my opinion, seal the deal on this competition for her. Would also put her over the top as well!

• Maris says:

I hope you’re right and Holly and Sasha do leave, Slezak said Sarah should and will go home and I really hope he’s wrong

• Sheilalala says:

Thanks..THIS..you saved me having to pen my thoughts..#sarahforthewin #amberifthatdoesnthappen

• Temperance says:

I though Michelle was easily the best of the night by a clar margin, then Amber, Judith and the Swon Brothers, and the rest considerably below. Sasha and Sarah were terrible, and Danielle is awesome, but the song was way, way, to cheesy.

• Claudia says:

Sarah in #3? She was my #2 last week but last night she was a hot mess. Oh well, I hope you enjoyed her because she’s gone gone gone.

• Sally says:

I disagree with you and the reviewer on who is going home. The way they place on I tunes determines who is staying and going home. Judith and Sasha are on the bottom on I tunes. They will go home.

Danielle is the only one who placed in the top 10 on Itunes. The top six on Itunes are Danielle, Michelle, Amber, Sarah, Swon Brothers and Holly.

4. kaba says:

MICHELLE CHAMUEL!
    That is all (for this post)

5. BBC says:

Praying to the TV gods that Danielle Bradbery doesn’t get another x10 bonus. Anyone besides her FTW!

• Venus says:

I totally agree. anybody but Daniele

• Hertz says:

Never liked comments like this. Don’t route against someone. Route for someone.

• h20gal says:

I am surprised how much Michael likes Danielle…I thought he had better taste. Danielle is a dime a dozen country artist. too bad she will win. The show has become more about blake and his country singers. next year the show should be renamed Blake’s Idol or Country Voice. This show us no longer about singing just about personality. I stopped watching Idol because of that and I must say goodbye to the Voice after this season.
      Good luck Michelle and Judith.

• Lyndsi says:

This show is all about the singing. Blake is a country artist, he knows about country singers. He decided this year he was going to try and see if he could have an all country team and win. Well America has not voted off a member of his team yet. So people watching must like them. I don’t think it has turned into Blake’s Idol or Country Voice but I think people are realizing that country music may not be so bad. It all comes down to a personal preference on what type of artist you want to listen too.

• suntan says:

That’s your opinion. I agree with h2o gal, the show has become a personality contest. I like country music but this is now all about the country singers. Blake’s singer are not the best singers, they just have more fans (country) voting and buying their music.

• Lyndsi says:

Well that is the whole point of the show right? To have the American public want to vote for you to keep you on the show so you can win. So people must enjoy Danielle, Holly and the Swon Brothers since they have not sent them home yet.

• Nancy says:

It’s all about the money, folks! Americans are country fans….if they will buy records then country wins! If we want Michelle to win we need to buy her songs…I have bought every song she has for sale….The Reverb Junkie, s/he, and All the Pretty People by Christopher Norman and The Reverb Junkie, and My Dear Disco. Buy or Die!

• Nancy says:

Of course, the only songs that count in the contest are The Voice songs, but anything that helps Michelle’s career is important too. She is brilliant! The stuff she does on The Voice isn’t really what she does best and why she shouldn’t actually win (then she wouldn’t have as much control over her record content), but I’d like to see her in the top 4 for sure.

• memashort says:

life is a personality contest. that’s how you get a promoted for a job (not merit, but how well you present yourself and get along with others), get along with the neighbors, and how you sell records. Name one artist with a platinum album who doesn’t have personality in spades.

• suntan says:

I agree.

• Sookie says:

Blake won the last 2 season with non country artists and in fact not a single country artist was in the top 8 last year. He made a decision this year to go with an all country team and I think it was a good decision because one of the huge problems he has had in the past was picking rock or pop songs for his team. (Seemed like he was stuck in the 80’s.) Also it doesn’t hurt to promote the genre of music he sings.

• Maggie says:

I think he’s still got the “stuck in the 80s/90s problem” especially with Danielle. She is 16 years old! Have her sing something contemporary!! I would have much rather seen Danielle’s interpretation of “Done” or something by Kasey Musgraves, I want to see her tougher side, have a little more sass & attitude.

• BillyBob says:

Wishful thinking, she’s already at #26, I think top by the time the voting closes. Oh me, Oh my :)

• mdutchone says:

It is very disheartening that a mediocre performance of a boring song still beats out stellar ones from much better singers :(.

• HTGR says:

Look at Tate on XF last season. He was #1 or nearly so every single week no matter what he did or anyone else did. Or even look at The Voice S2 where someone on Team Blake, who wasn’t even country, literally came out of nowhere to run away with the title.
          I like Danielle better than Tate though and she does have more going for her. That said I don’t think she has totally running away from it far beyond everyone else this season either, although her iTunes suggest that.

• mdutchone says:

I’d feel better if it weren’t for that blasted times 10 multiplier that only Danielle has had so far….

• Cassie says:

Glad to see someone else not buying into the Danielle hype. I think she has potential, but she does the same thing week after week which is great karaoke. At least she sang something upbeat last week and it was I bit more entertaining, but the girl does not emote at all when singing. I think in a few years, she could be amazing, but she’s just not there yet, IMO.

• Ed says:

I have to agree; Danielle is pretty much all hype. The American public LOVES kids, and she is a KID. She may do very well when she matures, but to push her at the expense of other contestants who are better, just because of the perception she has “potential”, is just wrong!!

• Sookie says:

I think the part about her performing that bothers me is that she keeps sneaking peeks at the cameras like she doesn’t know where to look.Especially during the group songs. I still love her voice though. She needs a lot more experience.

• Gomer says:

Once again, I loved Danielle’s performance. Guess many feel the same as her song tonight hit the top ten iTunes with 10X bonus!

6. kaba says:

I’m beyond frustrated. Once again Michelle has beat the living hell out of danielle and she’s still below her in the charts.
    This better not turn into a repeat of season 10 of AI :/

• Jenna says:

Or Season 3 of The Voice…

• Dan (Haleyloony) says:

God, get rid of the 10x frakking curse.

• kaba says:

Agreed. Even though I have nothing against Cassadee..that was just not supposed to be as easy a win as it was for her.
        Like..why did I think so many were better than her but still expected her to win just because of how powerful her pimpage was?

• teatime says:

Cassadee won because he had some of the best performances of the season. If Danielle wins it will not be for the same reason.

• Sookie says:

I think that it makes sense to me to count downloads more heavily than speed dialers. After all the point is to sing something that will sell.

• h2ogal says:

You are absolutely correct. Danielle will win because of Blake.

• Jasmine says:

Yeah, I bet if Danielle was 26 instead of 16, this much of a fuss wouldn’t be made over her. It’s just because she’s practically still a baby that everyone’s gushing over her. Okay, people! She’s good, but not THAT good. America! Get with Michelle Chamuel. She’s the real deal!

• Gomer says:

or season 2 of X-Factor USA

7. mrepmpel says:

michelle!!

8. Davey says:

I would rate Judith lower and Sasha higher. This really is the only performance I’ve liked by Judith since You’ve Got a Friend. But I wouldn’t rate her high than a B+. I thought this was Sasha’s best performance on the show so far. Would probably give her a B+ too. Danielle is going to sail through but this was her most boring night so far. You know Blake the past may have been simpler but it wasn’t better in a lot of ways.

9. MB says:

I just don’t see what them fuss is for Sarah Simmons. I just don’t get her at all. I really love Michele, Danielle and Amber.

• Mackdazzle says:

Thank you! Really have been over her since it went to live shows. Michelle and Amber are my favorites, and Danielle would be too – I just want her to connect with her songs a little more, but it might just be life experience is needed.

10. Hertz says:

Honestly These girls are all amazing. It’s just about song choice now. Whoever picks the right song on whatever night can win. This is the closest season yet for the Voice.There is no clear favorite (except for each person’s bias/personal preference). Tonight was good contrary to what some people are saying. Judith started off the show well. That was like a star coming on to grace the Voice stage. Amber (My fav) Killed that song, from the moment she walked across the piano with that sensual movement I was caught.
    Holly finally let go a bit and showed some persnonality and pulled me in and she rocked it.
    Michelle, I just loved her. When I saw her in the mirror A tear almost came out. The staging was just perfect.
    Sadly for some reason I can’t connect with Sasha. I want to but I can’t.

• Kat says:

Me too. I just have a hard time connecting with Sasha. The only reason i’m voting for her is because i feel for Shakira.

• Hayley says:

Not to be too blunt, but that’s a stupid reason to vote for someone. If you don’t connect with someone, why give votes to that person and potentially knock out someone you might actually prefer?

• BillyBob says:

I think Sasha will be gone this or next week. Shakira will be out.

• tiff says:

Its because shakira picked her whole team wrong songs from get go. I like shakira but she ducks at song choices and arrangements of them. Please the backstreet boys songs for the rock guy and alone by heart for Sasha Omy really!!!! Shes lost votes and fans for her team. Sasha was one of the best in the beginning. Ive totally become an amber fan Adam chooses the right songs most of the time. I hope this is a learning season for shakira and usher

• HTGR says:

I think Alone was a good choice for her. Good song too. Not like it hurt Underwood any either. Heck, she might never have won if not for that song.

• The Beach says:

I agree. This is a very, very strong group of ladies.

• log says:

Yes absolutely! All of the ladies are crushing it. I haven’t enjoyed one of Holly’s performances at all, until last night. I’m glad she’s finally having a bit of fun. I love Amber who just smashed Skyfall, and Michelle was fantastic as well. I usually enjoy Danielle, who undoubtable has a great voice, but for some reason she didn’t really do it for me last night.

11. barbls says:

Michael, I would listen to Sarah Simmons studio recording of Somebody That I Used To Know before judging. It is Phenomenal. Adam Levine is a jerk and his mentoring stunk!

• Guest says:

I agree… I love her studio recordings they are excellent. She needed a different song, the mentoring wasn’t great. Sadly I think this will be it for her

• Sookie says:

If she sang it well in the studio then why did the mentoring suck? Makes no sense, I doubt Adam told her to sing it differently on stage.

12. lucy27lucy says:

I like some elements of Sarah’s voice, but tonight was dreadful. I hate AI comparisons, but Elise and PP last year did set a bar for Gotye’s ‘Somebody’.
    As opposed to the rest of the world, I haven’t been completely on the Michelle bandwagon, but thought tonight was her best vocal performance to date, even though I didn’t love the arrangement.
    Amber started a little slow, but hit her full stride and the second half was brilliant – I do think she did an Adele song justice. I have to agree with Michael – there seemed to be a 4 vs 4 separation after tonight.

13. kaba says:

Can the world stop gushing over Danielle and realize Michelle’s artistic superiority?
    Danielle is merely a singer
    Michelle is an ARTIST.
    I get so sick of seeing Danielle top Michelle each week when she shouldn’t have.

14. Laura says:

I really didn’t like Michelle’s performance tonight. I don’t know what it was about it, but I felt very underwhelmed by it. Sarah is by far my favorite, and although she did not have her best night tonight, I feel like she shouldn’t go before Sasha or the Swon Brothers.

• Mauricio says:

Agreed. She’s been better in the past.

• Mark says:

I agree regarding Sarah. She was my favorite coming in to the final 8 performances, but that was a bad song choice for her and not a good performance. Unless she has a really strong fan base, I’m afraid she could be gone. I also didn’t care for Michelle’s performance. I think I have only been impressed with one of her songs the entire season. I just don’t get her at all. I want to like her, she seems like the type of artist I would enjoy, but she doesn’t do it for me. I think she is the most over-hyped person on the show. The big surprise for me was Amber. I thought she should have been gone weeks ago, but her performance of Skyfall was probably the best of the entire season by anybody.

• kathyann says:

Agree 100% Mark!!!!!!

• Sookie says:

I think Michelle should pick her own songs. I don’t see how Grenade is at all her usual type of song. If I remember she sings with a punk/indie type band yet Usher gives her a pop song.

• Mark says:

I think you’re right. She described herself at her audition as an indie/alternative artist but so far she hasn’t sang anything that sounds remotely alternative. If she returned to her strength, I might be more likely to hear something I want to hear again.

15. Timmah says:

I think Rebel Wilson is going home this week. The other one is more difficult to predict, but probably Sasha. Which would suck because then we get to see even less of Shakira.

16. Catherine says:

I wish some of these girls will start singing the songs instead of shouting them at me. emoting does not mean shouting.

17. p0pculture says:

I thought Danielle’s performance was boring, and I’m getting a little tired of her resting on her laurels. I think it’s time for her to try something new (I know this is Blake’s fault for the song choices, but come on!) I thought Amber and Michelle were absolutely outstanding, with Judith in a close 3rd. I think it’s time for Holly and The Swon Brothers to make their exit.

• HTGR says:

I like the end of it, but yeah the whole first part was pretty sleepy and nothing all that amazing vocally. She saved it with the last part some degree.

• p0pculture says:

Forgot to mention – Sarah has been one of my favorites, but I think this song choice was terrible by Adam. I hope his terrible decision doesn’t send her home!

• The Beach says:

When Gotye first came out his song I thought it was amazing but after having been bombarded with it a gazillion times, along with multiple covers of it, I am really tired of hearing it.

• DeeKayTee says:

100% agree with EVERYTHING you just said!

• matt says:

Totally agree, it’s time for Blake’s team to be reduced down to solely Danielle. The other 2 country acts are boring. Holly has a strong voice but she doesn’t tell a story with it, like Slezak says.

• Ed says:

The Swon Brothers are Blake’s ONLY entertaining act, IMO. Both Danielle and Holly are boring, vanilla country artists; there are hundreds (if not thousands) of performers in Nashville JUST like them, right this very minute!!!

• Sookie says:

I have to agree with you but I am a sucker for harmonies!

• If you are a sucker for harmonies, why do you like the Swon Bros? Their harmonies are awful because the heavier dude out-sings the cute dude two to one. If you can barely hear the other voice, the harmonies don’t work. When I think harmonies, I think of ABBA, The Bee Gees, The Beatles, The Supremes, The Eagles… even the Judds if you want a country artist. Do you really think the Swon Bros even hold a candle to any of them? Not even close… esp. when the only time we heard them was during the a cappella parts… the backing singers, as Slezak noted, oversang them for most of the song. But they get saved over Judith because they are cute, mug for the camera and milk the OK tragedy. This is not the Voice anymore, clearly.

• Sieves says:

My thoughts exactly. My rankings go:
      1-Amber
      2-Michelle
      3-Judith

All of them brought their A game and I wouldn’t mind in the least if they were our Top 3!

18. HTGR says:

“Sasha Allen: David Guetta (featuring Usher)’s “Without You” | Grade: C-”
    Wow don’t even know what to say at this point other than you have officially become Nigel 2.0. Congrats?

• Dan (Haleyloony) says:

I wouldn’t give her a C-, but the performance was still not very good. I loved the beginning of the song and wish it had been like that during all the performance.

• Sieves says:

Oh I would definitely give her a C- … maybe even a D+
        This was all kinds of “pitchy”, and despite the fact that this word is overused, it very accurately describes the pitch problems Sasha had on the “you”s as well as through some of the verses. She kind of screeched through it. I like her, but definitely nowhere near stellar.

• Jayce says:

Where the heck was she pitchy..as a musician I think you and Michael need to re-tune..played it back and TUNE CHECKED it(yes there is an app for that) and you couldn’t be more wrong.Though that was VERY true of the Swon Brothers…

• kaba says:

As a musician…I couldn’t disagree with you more.
            You’d also be keen to notice that a tuning app would be about as accurate as Sarah’s note execution due to all the background sounds it would pick up and meld into what it hears. No
            Next matter of business, oh my God Sasha was cringingly sharp. You don’t even need to be a musician to notice. Play the original song before you hear hers..SHARP.
            You don’t need much a trained ear to notice that, dunno what’s wrong with your ears.

• Sookie says:

I have to agree with kaba and I am not a musician and I don’t know the song. She was definitely sharp.

• Jayce says:

Let’s agree to disagree on both counts..and please note Michael said she was intermittently FLAT not Sharp…so I’m still calling it some bizarre discomfort or taste matter that he doesn’t get this singer..a shame too!

• matt says:

I will be very sad when Sasha is eliminated tomorrow night, she deserves to stay over those 2 boring country acts(Swon and Holly)

19. kaba says:

Sarah’s rendition was stupid to me.
    Why did Adam tell her to take “Somebody That I Used To Know” and turn it into a song about someone on the brink of tears?
    I sense NO tears when I hear that song, just passive anger. And yet Sarah is on the stage with her ugly cry face on once again forcing her rasp, singing as though that’s what this song is all about.
    Lindsey Pavao did this much better back in season 2. And in a way that way artistic while bringing out the dark aspect of the song.
    Sorry, I do no support that poorly guided rendition Sarah gave.

20. kaba says:

Sarah was so sharp throughout that song it hurt. You don’t even need a strong musical background to notice how sharp she was. She was trying to sing in the original key…yet it was sharp. I kept on hearing original version ring in my head and…yeah.

• kaba says:

*Sasha

• HTGR says:

Yeah she did do that on those notes. Seemed like nerves. So good otherwise it was one of those times I could look right past it all.

• Jasmine says:

I’m so sick of hearing that song! I wasn’t even paying attention to her performance, just glancing at it a few times. That song, just…NO, don’t sing it! Sarah shouldn’t have sang it. She really grates on my nerves and I can’t put my finger on exactly why! I don’t like her whatsoever. She needs to leave ASAP! Her and Holly Tucker! GOODBYE!

Michelle, Amber, and Sasha are my favs, Michelle being the one I want to win! I just love her! I can’t say that enough.

• Jasmine says:

Oh, sorry! I didn’t see your other comment, Kaba. about you correcting Sarah to Sasha. Yes, I definitely agree. Sasha was overshooting the high notes and she was definitely going sharp which I would squirm at and say (as if she could hear me through the tv) “Ooh, Sasha, SHARP! Take it down a notch! You’re pushing it too much.” But besides that, I thought it was really good. Not the best, of course. However, what I said about Sarah, I still mean and she needs to leave with Holly in tow.
        Michelle for the win! If not her, then Amber. If not Amber, then Sasha. If not Sasha, then….hmmm….no one else. I do like the Swon Brothers a little bit though. But they shouldn’t win the show.

• HTGR says:

I’d got for a top four of Michelle, Amber, Sasha and Judith. Got a bad feeling two won’t even make next week :(.

21. HTGR says:

“Judith, Michelle, Sarah and Sasha: Rihanna’s “Diamonds” | Grade: C”
    ???

• There is something going on with his grades for contestant on this show. They are too low.
      Even Lazero from idol got higher grades.

• HTGR says:

Wow, it’s true, he is actually giving Sasha and Lazaro about the same grades. And he gave him better grades than he gave those four tonight. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
        You do need to keep in mind that he heavily favors Idol so you need to add a third to sometimes two-thirds of a grade to everyone on the other shows and then it works out. Although that doesn’t explain the above.
        I often agree with him, but sometimes it’s puzzling….

• Angie_Overrated says:

No kidding. I have no idea what Slezak is smoking when he gives Sasha a C- and Danielle an A-. I think he got that one backwards. For the most part I agreed with his grades on the Idol contestants, but he’s got some strange and very strong biases creeping through that are making his grades for The Voice not all that credible.

• Temperance says:

‘C’ was kind. It was all over the place – the wost cover of Diamonds I’ve ever heard.

22. Scott says:

Sasha & Sarah need to go ASAP

23. Josh says:

I predicted at Top 12 that Danielle would win and that Michelle would be the runner-up. I still see this happening, although I’ll hate if the show is truly that predictable.

• HTGR says:

It looks a lot like that will be the case. Michelle is pretty good at least and Danielle isn’t bad. But it seems kinda more than wrong if we get Sasha and Judith booted ore-top six, come on.

• It does look like that will be the result. One the other hand, on this show it only takes one or two not good perfermances to be voted off (or not voted in). That happened to early frontrunner Amanda Brown in season 3.

• erin says:

haha, oh of course she wins because remember- danielle’s one of the most important people to ever be on the voice. psssht.

24. Beth says:

Good choice on Adam’s part having amber do that. She sang an Adele song better than anyone has on one of these shows and it showed she has different dimensions to her talent.

25. Scott says:

When the Swons have beautiful harmony together

• The Beach says:

It seemed a little bit like cheating to me having what was basically a 6-person harmony on that song. Except for a couple of lines that the Swons sang alone, this was basically a group number, albeit a beautiful one. This wasn’t like the others having backup singers. Those four were an integral part of the performance.

• Jan1 says:

The backup singers outnumbered the Swons and are the only reason they sounded good.

• Cagney says:

The first version I heard of this song was Dolly Parton’s take which I love. I also felt they were given an unfair advantage with the background singers. I am imagining that they tried to do it with only two voice and it didn’t work. The voices are just too unequal in quality.

• Sookie says:

The itunes recording sounds like just the two of them and they probably recorded separate tracks to make up for the 5 part harmony. I also think the back ground vocalists were too loud. I don’t know why they just didn’t leave it as 2 part harmony. I never heard Dolly Parton do this song but I love the Eagles version.

26. Kameron says:

I don’t understand the appeal of Danielle at all. I just don’t. I thought her performance was lacking and generic AND the way she kept saying “Grandpa” was irksome

• MariMari says:

Umm… I think people from the south or country folks DO say “Grandpaw”. I thought it was very endearing.

• Kameron says:

I actually live in the south and a large majority of people don’t say grandpa like that. Regardless of the twang, I just didn’t enjoy the performance

• Jan1 says:

Her voice is great, her performances stiff. Just like Carrie Underwood back on American Idol.

27. HTGR says:

Sadly looks like Sasha and Judith are going home. Another show jumps the shark with voting. Oh well.

28. TaMara says:

Michelle and Amber were standouts. I really like Sarah and far be it from me to question Adam Levine (cause really, I adore him) but what a horrible song choice for her. If she goes home, that’s why I’m afraid.

29. David says:

I think Amber more than earned her way back into my good graces this week. I would put Michele in second and Danielle (finally connected with a song) in third. Sasha and Judith were a solid four and five. I think Holly and the Swon Brothers could be in trouble. The worst was Sarah. For the first time, I heard her under the pitch several times.

30. kiki says:

Even If SASHA Had a standing ovation,he would still give her a C ,as always!!Dont try to understand!!He’s probably texting all the time when he watched her but JUDITH A?Im I seeing things?It was the wrong song choice.

• HTGR says:

I think NBC could play back Candice singing Somewhere and Sasha could lip sync it perfectly and he’d say it was the worst vocal in singing competition history!

• kiki says:

THIS!!!!IfYou’re so right!!!I know It wasnt Sasha’s best but C) WTHHHH!!!Judith did the worst on itunes ratings .I didnt think it was a good song choice!!!Wooow A ?Woow I absolutely like her tone but it didnt do it for me.He has his favoorites.He knows no objectivity.Candice is my girl but even I she fporgave lyrics or rap,she’ll still get the A from himm!!Whatever.Just pathetic

• Clovo says:

No, it wasn’t good — she is good, but she missed more than half those notes. Go back and listen to it.

31. Crittab says:

Here’s the thing. Everyone is an amazing singer. There’s not a single person on this show who doesn’t deserve to be there, and that’s an awesome thing to be able to say (lesser singers have slid through based on good looks and things like that before, so it’s nice that that’s not the case this season).

It’s tough to pick out the better and the worse, so it really just does come down to personal taste. My top four, unsurprisingly, were Judith, Amber, Danielle and Michelle. I’m tired of Sarah – I know that she has a good and interesting voice, but there’s just something about her entire “thing” that I’m not getting. I’m also sick to death of Holly’s dead eyes. I like Sasha but I don’t feel an emotional connection with her, and same goes for the Swon Brothers.

Vocally they’re all stellar. At this point it’s really just coming down to who connects and who kills every time they perform.

Should go home: Holly and Sarah
    Will go home: Some variation of Holly, the Swon Brothers and Sasha

• MC says:

I would substitute the word “good” for amazing. Hyperbole is never a good thing.

• Jasmine says:

Took the words right out of my mouth with Who Should Go Home. Yes. Holly and Sarah need to hit the road. Holly’s just boring. Has no spark at all. She’s too generic. Sarah, I just can’t stand. Her performance last week was AWFUL! She was practically screaming the whole time. Don’t nobody want to hear all that! and everybody was going gaga about it?! Please! That was horrible. Anyway, this week wasn’t any better. She picked a song that everybody knows but it’s a song that’s been overplayed to death and so I’m like, “Who’s actually going to pick up the phone and vote for Sarah singing Gotye’s “quickly becoming done to death” song?” And from the parts I did hear (I’m always distracted when I listen to Sarah), she just sounded okay. Or maybe it’s just because I don’t like her. Hmmm….anyway, yeah. This is my opinion.
      Michelle for the win!

32. darcy the slutty twin says:

Really, Sasha with a C-? Your inexplicable hate for Sasha knows no bounds.

Meanwhile, The Voice gods continue to torture me with the goat-sounding forced rasp of Sarah Simmons.

33. paula says:

I like Amber’s “Skyfall” and Sarah’s “Somebody That I Used to Know.” The iTunes versions of both those songs are not on my iPhone and they sound amazing. I hope Sarah stays. Michelle was great, as always. No one was really bad, although The Swon Brothers’ “Seven Bridges Road” was a bit weird with all the backup singers singing at a different tempo that the Swons.

34. D says:

Does Usher really think he’s bring a good coach. I felt he was really condescending to Michele.

• kaba says:

I’m fairly certain that’s not his mindset but the way he seems to carefully choose his words translates badly

• A says:

I find him to be better and more interesting when they are actually showing him in the coaching sessions, but as a judge he is just very dull and boring and gives off this feeling that he doesn’t want to be there. He takes too long when he’s critiquing to choose his words and it comes off (to me at least) as disinterest and trying to come up with something nice to say. There’s no genuine enthusiasm to his critiques like with the other coaches. Obviously he shows his bias toward his own team, that’s fine, but with the other contestant I just find myself hoping that Carson just skips him.

• Hertz says:

You’re looking into things too deeply.

• raindrops says:

here we go, usher can;t do anything right for you people.

35. mdutchone says:

So happy to see some people not getting Danielle’s appeal either. To me she sings with no real emotion and the same drone every song.
    Amber on the other hand is able to sing so many different genres, has great presence, and is only three years older than Danielle.
    While I tend to not like Judith’s songs that much, I do respect her artistry and overall package.
    I love Michelle – she feels every note that comes out of her and her voice is excellent as well.

36. Jay says:

Is this the end of the voice as we knew it-country music has the largest fan base right now and Blake taps into most of them-country singers could dominate for a number of seasons-I’m not saying that’s wrong, it’s just a different dynamic.i wonder how Nicholas would have done this season

37. BillyBob says:

The only question is how far will Danielle’s song chart up tonight?

38. Sara says:

I personally really liked Sarah’s version of this song. It was definitely different than the way Gotye approaches the song, which I think is a good thing for Sarah to have done. I would say my top 3 for the night were Michelle, Sarah, and Amber, though I am having a hard time ordering them in terms of my preference.
    Sasha is also one of my favorites, but I am not sure how I felt about her performance tonight. Still, it didn’t stop me from throwing some votes her way.
    One thing that really got on my nerves was that Blake’s team sang another group number with Amber as a plus one. I am sure they are developing as country artists, but they should at least attempt to expand their horizons during the non-voting songs. Split them up and make them sing something different!

39. JW says:

Curious to know why you gave the “Diamonds” performance such a low grade. I thought it was really effective and entertaining. Their voices worked well together. They all performed well, though Judith and Michelle stood out for me by the end.

40. BillyBob says:

Judith’s own song choice is #thatPOWER will.I.am ft Justin Bieber. FAIL. I think Judith is more of a GIMMICK. Especially, with the Marge Simpson /Sanjaya (ponyhawk) hair do. BTW, I was waiting for the Justin Bieber’s hologram to appear. FAILED!

• Hertz says:

Come on Billy. It wasn’t bad. I guess you’re one who hates her because she sang with MJ. People forget that last seasons winner had been in a band who had videos and quite a fan base and the season before was a back up singer for Alicia Keys.

• BillyBob says:

Wrong! I was cheering for Judith in the beginning, plus she sang with MJ was very cool. Plus half Asian is very cool too. But every week I feel more of a gimmick (this week hair and cape), what’s with the cape? I’m losing interest in her. Also, the song choice was a epic fail. A song featuring Bieber. Give me a break! :)

• christie's pants says:

they don’t like the 1/2 black part of her.

• HTGR says:

Yeah, in the end she was just picked to use as a background singer, it’s not like she was signed to lead and has put up hits. I know the whole picked by MJ thing seems to put her in some different class, but in the end as you say we had backups to Alicia, Gaga, etc. in other seasons and nobody held it against the contestants that much. It does seem to be hurting her that people have decided she is a ringer.

• BillyBob says:

Judith and all her powerhouse vocals, crazy dress/cape and mohawk Marge Simpson hair VS Danielle and her simple regular country dress and her effortless pleasant vocals. Judith not even in the top 100 iTunes. Danielle already #21 and climbing on iTunes.

• A says:

I actually thought it was better than some of the other performances tonight and entertaining, but I have to admit that even though I’m still rooting for Judith, I’m still waiting for the same magic that I felt when she sang ‘What A Girl Wants’ in her blind auditions. I feel like none of her other performances have come close to that one. Maybe it’s because some of the song choices she’s been given were pretty awful like It’s A Man’s World. Also Feeling Good is a song that should be banned worldwide from every single singing competition show or any other show ever!

41. Lore says:

Im with Danielle, Amber and MIchelle

42. Someone says:

I just checked iTunes and it really makes me wonder HOW Danielle is still on top when Amber and Michelle and far better performances than her tonight. I can understand ‘Heads Carolina, Tails California’ topping last week. But, Danielle’s ‘Grandpa’ song was quite boring and almost had me falling asleep — no matter how good a voice she has.

But Amber and Michelle and the best performances of the night and they are still trailing behind her. Does this now just come down to personal preference? Because if Danielle keeps topping the charts like this she just might win this season. I like Danielle but she doesn’t deserve to win (make it to the top, yes) but not win since they are far better singers on the show.

• Someone says:

I meant *had

• BillyBob says:

It’s her effortless and pleasant sound voice / vocals. Danielle could sing the National Anthem and chart high on itunes.

• The Beach says:

This is rather odd/disturbing isn’t it?

• BillyBob says:

Hmm, not really. If you have that certain tone/vocals it’s one of a kind sound that people like to hear. Yes, that song Grandpa was would of be sooooooo boring if any other person had sung it. Danielle’s pleasant vocals made it a must listen.

• The Beach says:

One of a kind tone/vocal? Sorry, but no. Danielle has a wonderful voice for a 16 year old but it’s hardly one of a kind. She did a nice job on a sweet little country ditty originally sung by one of the most powerful voices in country music…Wynona Judd.

• Ed says:

You’re right… she is NOT one of a kind. Country music is ALREADY overloaded with look-a-likes and sound-a-likes, and she is just one more added to the mix.

• Tyrion says:

Oh please. It’s due to Blake constantly pimping her and his country fans immediately just buying up everything she sings regardless of how her actual performance was. Let’s not pretend this has anything to do with her actual ‘vocality’.

• Lyndsi says:

Not everyone who likes a performance on the show will go to iTunes to buy the song. Country music has a huge following, country fans support country artists. Blake promotes his team better than the other coaches in my opinion. Country fans will purchase songs from Blake’s team. Look at the people who have led iTunes sales from the Voice’s previous seasons, consistently they are members of Blake’s team.

43. TJ says:

I agree with Michael. The slotting of the performers definitely seems a little fishy. Last week Holly went first and Judith second. This week Judith went first and Holly second. Later in the show performances are much fresher than earlier ones. By the time Amber polished off “Skyfall,” (after Danielle put everyone to sleep with “Grandpa,”) most folks had forgotten how Holly, as Blake put it, “chewed up that song and spit it out!” and Judith went over the top with that mohawk crazy version of some hashtag song.
    Also thought the Swon Bros were decent, but not memorable, Sarah and Sasha went flat all over the place, Danielle missed her intro cue, and Michelle was overpowered by the song.
    I’d rate them: 1. Holly 2. Amber 3. Judith 4. Michelle 5. Swon Bros 6. Sasha 7. Danielle 8. Sarah.

44. suzie says:

I think Judith and Michelle should have both gone home already

45. BillyBob says:

WOW! Danielle’s already at #26 itunes. Judith and her powerhouse vocals and performance and hair gimmick… itunes failed.

46. Lyndsi says:

I like a lot of the artists on this show but I mainly like Team Blake. Someone posted that it all comes down to personal preference and I think that is the smartest thing that anyone has said on this board. Everybody has their own idea of what a good singer sounds like or what a good song is. I like country music, it is mainly the music I listen to and it would not surprise me to hear any of the members of Team Blake on my country radio station I listen to in my car, Blake’s team has done great country music since the live rounds has started. People have asked why Danielle is getting such huge love and why is she beating people on ITunes? Country fans show up and show their support. They watch the show for Blake and then if they like what they hear they will vote, buy songs on iTunes etc. Whoever ends up winning the show still has to prove they have what it takes to make it in the music industry. It is hard especially for people on a “reality show” to break through the ceiling. Look at the ones who have really done it well (Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood come to mind real quick) had the voices and then put in the work and won over the critics who didn’t know if they could make it. Whoever wins is going to have to so the same thing. I do find in interesting that Blake is one of the coaches I see all the time promoting his team members from this season and previous ones as well. He does it consistently.

• Debi says:

if you believe it is about preference, why you you bash those who prefer something other than country?

BTW, Kelly Clarkson is not a country singer…she won by singing R&B.

• Debi says:

I meant “why do you bash”

• Lyndsi says:

I never bashed anyone’s preference. I only stated that everyone has their own preference and that is why some of the contestants that people do not enjoy are making it through to the next rounds. I love that the show is so diverse. There are people on this board alone who are bashing the contestants because they are only singing country songs. Team Blake is getting railroaded on here because Danielle is always the top act on iTunes. My whole point of my statement was that people under estimate the love that country music fans have for it’s artists and possible future artists like members of Team Blake. They love a good voice, and will only spend their money on songs and artists they see as having true talent. If people think Michelle is better then they need to go to iTunes and buy her songs. If people think Sasha, or Amber, or Sara is better then they need to make sure they vote for them and buy their songs on iTunes.

• Don Viajero says:

Well, if you like Country so much, shouldn’t you be voting for Amber? As she proved yet again tonight on the Sugarland group song, she is the best Country singer on the show this season. Or does it bother you that she’s not on Blake’s team and sounds great singing almost everything else as well? I don’t mean this as a critique. I am genuinely curious about why Amber doesn’t seem to be benefiting as much from the upswing of country voters this season.

• Dan (Haleyloony) says:

I think she is more of a crossover artist, which might not appeal to country fan. Which is stupid.

• HTGR says:

Because she has also done a lot of pure pop and other and especially because she is not on Team Blake and even turned that team down.

• Lyndsi says:

I think country fans really don’t see her as a country artist. Country fans don’t feel that connection with her. I think if Adam had let her do all country songs then she may have seen an upswing with country voters. I also think that Blake does about the best in supporting his team in the media and not letting people forget who his artists are whether you like that or not.

47. Tom says:

I actually really liked Sasha’s performance today. I really want to see Sasha sing Keyshia Cole’s song Love.

48. TP says:

I didn’t like Adam’s advice to sing “Somebody That I Used To Know” like she was on on the verge of tears and would’ve liked it less aggressive, but I still think Sarah is way too talented to go home. I think Adam is doing a horrible job of coaching her. Really hope she stays so she can have another breakout performance. I want Holly and the Swon Brothers to go home. I really like Danielle’s voice but she is the same thing every week and it’s time for her to change things up. It sucks that young teenage girls will probably vote her to the winning spot though.

• Venus says:

Sarah should stay. Adam isn’t helping her as much as he should. Danielle is such a poor example of young country artists. Reminds me of the 2 dismal finalists of AI season 10. Kacey Musgraves is an up and coming country artist. Danielle is too young and inexperienced to hold a candle to Kacey.

49. Robyn says:

Love Michelle, who is genuine and unique. She is the only female singer not screeching her heard off.

50. gg031 says:

I was listening to Skyfall on the radio a few days ago and thought it’d be perfect for Sarah- I was really surprised at how well amber did with it. I felt like this week was uninteresting, no one will stood out. That being said Michelle is my frontrunner ( Judith irritates me)

• BillyBob says:

I feel Judith is more of a gimmick now, like Bieber. Oh, she picked a song featuring Bieber. :) Everyone is talking about her hair instead of her vocals.

• Jeremy B says:

Unfortunately, a song like that would be too big for Sarah. She doesn’t have the precision, consistency and clear power to pull it off.

• HTGR says:

Yeah it wokred well for Amber. She had been down for a few weeks. I bet it would’ve been great for Sasha too.

• Debi says:

Why does judith irrate you? You people are constantly beating up on this girl. And Billybob, get over it already. All of your comments are about bashing Judith. COme on, give it up.

• kaba says:

Do they need a reason to not like a contestant? Jesus Christ. She doesn’t like judith get over it.

• Satan says:

Don’t take the Lord’s name in vain. You get over it.

• Satan says:

Just like you think she has a right not to like someone. Debi has a right to her opinion. So you get over it.

• kaba says:

… You with the screen name “satan” telling me not to use the Lord’s name in vain? Okay.
            Don’t start with that piss logical fallacy “she’s entitled to her opinion” garbage because if she didn’t want people to combat her opinion she wouldn’t post.

• BillyBob says:

I actually hooked on Judith for the blind audtions and the first week. Then it’s like she’s a gimmick. The outfits, the hair, yes her vocals are the crazy great! But she’s turning out to be a Bieber. Plus, choosing the will.I.am song ft Justing Bieber. Yes, Judith even mentioned Justin Bieber. Who is she? What’s with the Bride of Frankenstein / Marge Simpson hair the past few weeks? Get a grip! ;)

• pdl says:

Why is Judith on this show in the first place? I thought it was for amateurs. With all her connections in the biz, if she was gonna be a star she woulda.been.

• Anna says:

The Voice has never been for amateurs only. There have been a bunch of contestants on this show who have either already had record deals and/or have been touring artists for years. Judith has as much right to be on this show as anyone else.

• Alisha says:

Ever heard of Cassadee Pope, whose band Hey Monday was popular enough to have a song featured on ‘Glee’? She won Season 3. This show is not strictly for amateurs.

• senor skippy says:

I totally agree with “Anna” below. Judith may have had a career had it not been for one, major, tragic event. She has every right to jump-start her career.

• sylvie says: