Finale Ratings: The Middle Holds Steady, Modern Family, SVU and Criminal Minds Down Vs. 2012

Ratings The Middle Modern Family NashvilleSeason 4 of ABC’s Critics Choice Award-nominated The Middle graduated with honors on Wednesday, drawing 7.5 million total viewers — the sitcom’s most watched finale in three years — while matching last year’s demo rating of 2.0. Week-to-week, The Middle inched up a tenth.

Elsewhere on ABC, Modern Family‘s season ender did 9.9 mil and a 3.6, up a tenth from last week but down 12 percent from its previous finale. How to Live With Your Parents followed with 6.32 mil/2.2, up a few eyeballs and two tenths. Nashville’s everything-but-the-kitchen-sink freshman finale (6.1 mil/1.9) was up 9 percent and two tenths.

RELATED | Nashville Season Finale Recap: Truth, Consequences and Black Boxer Briefs

RELATED | Criminal Minds Finale Recap: The Replicator Is Unmasked, But Not Before Striking Back

Over on CBS, Criminal Minds‘ double-episode finale night averaged 10.8 mil and a 2.7, up a tick week-to-week but down more than 20 percent from last year’s capper.

RELATED | Law & Order: SVU Season Finale Shocker: Is [Spoiler] Leaving the Show?!

NBC’s SVU finale drew 6.7 mil/1.6, up a tenth but dropping 20 percent in the demo from its previous finale. Chicago Fire (6.2 mil/1.7) was down 11 and 15 percent with its finale. Next stop: Tuesday nights!

RELATED | Chicago Fire Season Finale Recap: Baby Fever!

Modern Family, Criminal Minds and SVU all hit all-time finale lows in the demo.

The season premiere of Fox’s MasterChef delivered 5.24 mil and a 2.1, up in viewers from its June 2012 opener while down just two tenths in the demo.

1. Leondre says:

Yay for The Middle. Too bad for Modern Family. I actually think season 4 was better than season 3.

• Paul8148 says:

I wonder if The Middle and Modern Family is going to be help next season in the rating with the shows going to sydnicanation in the fall?

2. Mike B says:

well… all-time lows seem to be very trendy right now^^

3. HeatherC says:

I think the Criminal Minds two hour finale really hurt Chicago Fire in the ratings last night. I bet the CF DVR numbers are a bit higher than normal for this week due to that schedule change. I haven’t watched Nashville yet (I got behind these last few weeks) but thought CF’s season finale was amazing. Looking forward to season two for both shows! =)

4. n says:

Seems like people might have been watching the NBA.

I watched SVU and pt 2 of Criminal Minds.

5. Nick C says:

it’s too bad when shows you like stay one the air too long. Criminal Minds still has good actors and characters you care about but the stories have gotten so bad the last few seasons it makes me wish it went out on a high a few years ago.

6. Boiler says:

Although surprised great news for Nashville. Agree with HeatherC that Chicago Fire DVR will be good as will Nashville’s

7. Midori says:

I don’t understand why How to Live With Your Parents got canceled. At what point will ABC understand nothing will ever do well after Modern Family.

• Bucket of Truth says:

I know, right? It did better in the demo than The Middle, which has been on for 3 years. I was hoping for a second season. :(

• Will miss Live w/Parents - Sarah is the best... says:

Yep, I thought the same thing as I watched last night’s episode – how in the world did ABC cancel this show? One of the few comedies that debuted this season (Go On, the other) that I watched, enjoyed and am truly going to miss. Let me tell you – NBC and ABC had better hit their mark this fall with their new slate of comedies. These new shows had better be good, because if not, both networks have some explaining to do regarding pulling the plug on Live w/Parents and Go On.

Ratings do matter, but ‘trajectory’ also matters – is the show well produced, have a good cast, have potential storyline growth? That matters as well. Sarah Chalke – what more needs to be said? She’s enchanting, period.

I’m keeping notes on the ratings that With Parents was producing. They are replacing this show with Super Fun Night in the 9:30 slot – that show had better produce. If not, ABC has some explaining to do.

8. Jen says:

Very happy for Nashville! I loved the finale and can’t wait for next season.

9. Mary says:

Why did ABC cancel How To Live??? It was a good fit with MF and is actually growing in viewers! If shows were cancelled after 4 airings, Raymond and Modern Family never would’ve become hits!

10. sarah says:

Chicago Fire finale was great! I really hope the move to Tuesdays does not kill the show, it is one of the best on tv.

11. K. says:

Just checked the TV ratings for last night and as I predicted Criminal Minds and Nashville kicked Chicago Fires butt….Loved both those finales last night.