Fall TV Preview

Fall TV Scoop: CBS Orders Bad Teacher to Series

Bad Teacher CBSBad Teacher, good news.

In a rare, post-upfront pickup, CBS has greenlit the single-camera comedy, which is based on the Cameron Diaz film of the same name.

Ari Graynor (Fringe) plays the title role of a sexy, foul-mouthed divorceé who becomes a teacher to find her next husband.

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: Watch Trailers for The Crazy Ones, Intelligence, Mom and Other New CBS Series

David Alan Grier (In Living Color), Ryan Hansen (Veronica Mars), Sara Gilbert (Roseanne) and Kristin Davis (Sex and the City) co-star; Hilary Winston (Community, Happy Endings), Lee Eisenberg, Gene Stupinsky, Sam Hansen and Jimmy Miller executive-produce.

RELATED | Fall TV Schedule 2013 — What’s On When? And Against What?

The greenlight for Teacher (which will likely premiere at midseason) comes a week after the network announced its fall schedule.

Tags: ,

Comments (44)

• COME ON DISNEY! ORDER A SERIES FOR GIRL MEETS WORLD!

Comment by pcpurecommunity1234 – May 22, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They already have i thought

Comment by Kristen Thornton – May 22, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No. For now it’s only the pilot. If it does well and it’s well received, then it could get picked up from there.

Comment by Esaul – May 22, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think it’s a safe bet to say the pilot will do well. How well it’s received depends on how good it is

Comment by Tom Charles – May 22, 2013 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting. The movie version was less-than-thrilling, but I love the cast here, so it might be worth a look.

Comment by Sarah – May 22, 2013 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I heard that VERONICA MARS is heading to the big screen. True?

Comment by mamalyn – May 22, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • where do you live?! Yes, it’s been confirmed since months ago!

Comment by Eli – May 22, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hey, stop stealing my name! :(

Comment by Eli – May 22, 2013 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And mine…

Comment by Eli – May 22, 2013 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • And mine

Comment by Eli – May 22, 2013 03:28 PM PDT
          • And mine!!!

Comment by Eli – May 22, 2013 04:15 PM PDT
          • “Pipe down, all o’ yuz!” — the late Eli Wallach

Comment by TV Gord – May 22, 2013 05:26 PM PDT
  • Eww. School+sex(ual frustration)=bad combo. And the main character sounds annoying. You become a teacher in order to teach children, not in order to hook up with their parents.

Comment by bluefairy – May 22, 2013 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ok, grandma.

Comment by Eli – May 22, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hence the title

Comment by Jake – May 22, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, you become a teacher for summers off! ;-)

Comment by TV Gord – May 22, 2013 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And the terribly low pay!!!

Comment by DoctorWhoFanatic! – May 23, 2013 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m a teacher and I can honestly say there are very few parents I have that would be worth hooking up with.

Comment by Paul – May 23, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really CBS turned down a NCIS LA spin off for another comedy and this is why you got rid of Golden Boy and Vegas ? and what is the status of Cote De Pablo coming back to NCIS #tobecontinued

Comment by Keith G.Flemming Sr. – May 22, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They passed on NCIS: Red for now. It’s not entirely dead. They didn’t feel the premise was too original enough, or some jargon like that. They might try a retooled concept with a different cast if they can find a way to. Golden Boy and Vegas’ numbers were far too low to justify renewals. Vegas when it aired on Tuesday pretty much always lost to Parenthood. It lost a lot from having the NCIS’ as a lead in. Also, I’d imagine shooting a sitcom is cheaper than a full hour drama. As for Cote, I haven’t heard anything yet. I can’t imagine her leaving.

Comment by Esaul – May 22, 2013 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why are you assuming the NCIS LA spin off was passed over simply because Bad Teacher was picked up? It’s not an either/or scenario. The NCIS LA spin off wouldn’t have made the cut even if Bad Teacher never existed. And the ratings for Vegas and Golden Boy were atrocious, that’s why they were canceled.

Comment by JC – May 22, 2013 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Noone is “assuming” that Ncis Red won’t be picked it, it’s a fact. It was reported on tvline almost 2 wks that cbs passed on it.

Comment by Stacie – May 22, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Calm down and take some reading comprehension courses.

Comment by Tyler – May 22, 2013 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe they realized it was too soon for another NCIS. There is no rush, when the mothership end then talk spinoff.

Comment by Midori – May 22, 2013 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you, Keith. Vegas and Golden Boy were both good shows. What’s wrong with being 49+ years old?

Comment by Judy McGee – May 22, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Keith, I believe that the execs at all the major networks are idiots!! I enjoyed the NCIS spin off and loved Golden Boy. But, I don’t count as I am over the 18-49 year age that they are looking for. Anymore I end up watching reruns on TNT and USA.

Comment by Tami Fletcher – May 22, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would someone become a teacher to meet a husband? Because they’d like someone average looking with a moderate income? They’re into guys with grown children who want a second wife? They never even did parent-teacher night at my high school so I don’t think she’d have much access to the parents of her students. Is the principal really hot? So many questions.

Comment by dude – May 22, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this series is as good/funny as the movie im all in!

Comment by JJ – May 22, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Should have been Super Clyde

Comment by ggny – May 22, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know, I’m excited that Ryan Hanson will be on screen, though this seems like it will not last long, but I’d much rather see Super Clyde.

Comment by Drewer – May 22, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And yet no Super Clyde. Strange. I thought the movie was only okay, but I’ll give this show a try, as I like the cast.

Comment by Eric – May 22, 2013 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ryan is signed for Veronica Mars right? This isn’t going to screw it up is it?

Comment by Et al. – May 22, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Funny I remember her from Veronica Mars but not from Fringe (and I watched Fringe as well).

Comment by Mari – May 22, 2013 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • she played olivia sisters with the kid

Comment by ggny – May 22, 2013 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ohhh, thanks! I was trying to place her but she looks really different in this picture. I guess Olivia’s sister always looked more down to earth than pleather skirt+leopard print.

Comment by Brooke – May 22, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ari Graynor is so talented and genuinely a funny actress, I love watching her on screen.

Comment by Cherry – May 22, 2013 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still don’t get why they didn’t order Beverly Hills Cop .-.

Comment by Alake M. (@AllieKMalik) – May 22, 2013 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • because it was terrible. it looked really 90s and Eddie Murphy was the only good part

Comment by ggny – May 22, 2013 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not true. It was beautifully shot, and David Denman and Kevin Pollak were both great. It didn’t go forward due to disagreements between CBS and Paramount.

Comment by Zachary – May 22, 2013 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Sarah Gilbert still doing The Talk? I don’t watch it anyway but just curious

Comment by Tammy – May 22, 2013 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, she’s the creator and executive producer of The Talk, too. I imagine her role in this series won’t be too extensive.

Comment by TV Gord – May 22, 2013 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! Sounds like it could be good. And woot, Ryan Hansen! He’s hilarious

Comment by mia – May 22, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will check it out for sure.

Comment by tara17 – May 23, 2013 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The premise seems too tacky and one-noted and depending on how it is handled too potentially misogynistic to be anything but awful. Ehhh, what do I know, and I don’t have to watch it. :)

Comment by charissa29 – May 23, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post