Fall TV Scoop: CBS Orders Bad Teacher to Series

Bad Teacher CBSBad Teacher, good news.

In a rare, post-upfront pickup, CBS has greenlit the single-camera comedy, which is based on the Cameron Diaz film of the same name.

Ari Graynor (Fringe) plays the title role of a sexy, foul-mouthed divorceé who becomes a teacher to find her next husband.

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: Watch Trailers for The Crazy Ones, Intelligence, Mom and Other New CBS Series

David Alan Grier (In Living Color), Ryan Hansen (Veronica Mars), Sara Gilbert (Roseanne) and Kristin Davis (Sex and the City) co-star; Hilary Winston (Community, Happy Endings), Lee Eisenberg, Gene Stupinsky, Sam Hansen and Jimmy Miller executive-produce.

RELATED | Fall TV Schedule 2013 — What’s On When? And Against What?

The greenlight for Teacher (which will likely premiere at midseason) comes a week after the network announced its fall schedule.

1. pcpurecommunity1234 says:

COME ON DISNEY! ORDER A SERIES FOR GIRL MEETS WORLD!

2. Sarah says:

Interesting. The movie version was less-than-thrilling, but I love the cast here, so it might be worth a look.

3. mamalyn says:

I heard that VERONICA MARS is heading to the big screen. True?

4. bluefairy says:

Eww. School+sex(ual frustration)=bad combo. And the main character sounds annoying. You become a teacher in order to teach children, not in order to hook up with their parents.

5. Really CBS turned down a NCIS LA spin off for another comedy and this is why you got rid of Golden Boy and Vegas ? and what is the status of Cote De Pablo coming back to NCIS #tobecontinued

• Esaul says:

They passed on NCIS: Red for now. It’s not entirely dead. They didn’t feel the premise was too original enough, or some jargon like that. They might try a retooled concept with a different cast if they can find a way to. Golden Boy and Vegas’ numbers were far too low to justify renewals. Vegas when it aired on Tuesday pretty much always lost to Parenthood. It lost a lot from having the NCIS’ as a lead in. Also, I’d imagine shooting a sitcom is cheaper than a full hour drama. As for Cote, I haven’t heard anything yet. I can’t imagine her leaving.

• JC says:

Why are you assuming the NCIS LA spin off was passed over simply because Bad Teacher was picked up? It’s not an either/or scenario. The NCIS LA spin off wouldn’t have made the cut even if Bad Teacher never existed. And the ratings for Vegas and Golden Boy were atrocious, that’s why they were canceled.

• Midori says:

Maybe they realized it was too soon for another NCIS. There is no rush, when the mothership end then talk spinoff.

• Judy McGee says:

I’m with you, Keith. Vegas and Golden Boy were both good shows. What’s wrong with being 49+ years old?

• Tami Fletcher says:

Keith, I believe that the execs at all the major networks are idiots!! I enjoyed the NCIS spin off and loved Golden Boy. But, I don’t count as I am over the 18-49 year age that they are looking for. Anymore I end up watching reruns on TNT and USA.

6. dude says:

Why would someone become a teacher to meet a husband? Because they’d like someone average looking with a moderate income? They’re into guys with grown children who want a second wife? They never even did parent-teacher night at my high school so I don’t think she’d have much access to the parents of her students. Is the principal really hot? So many questions.

7. JJ says:

If this series is as good/funny as the movie im all in!

8. ggny says:

Should have been Super Clyde

• Drewer says:

I know, I’m excited that Ryan Hanson will be on screen, though this seems like it will not last long, but I’d much rather see Super Clyde.

9. Eric says:

And yet no Super Clyde. Strange. I thought the movie was only okay, but I’ll give this show a try, as I like the cast.

10. Et al. says:

Ryan is signed for Veronica Mars right? This isn’t going to screw it up is it?

11. Mari says:

Funny I remember her from Veronica Mars but not from Fringe (and I watched Fringe as well).

• ggny says:

she played olivia sisters with the kid

• Brooke says:

Ohhh, thanks! I was trying to place her but she looks really different in this picture. I guess Olivia’s sister always looked more down to earth than pleather skirt+leopard print.

12. Cherry says:

Ari Graynor is so talented and genuinely a funny actress, I love watching her on screen.

13. I still don’t get why they didn’t order Beverly Hills Cop .-.

• ggny says:

because it was terrible. it looked really 90s and Eddie Murphy was the only good part

• Zachary says:

Not true. It was beautifully shot, and David Denman and Kevin Pollak were both great. It didn’t go forward due to disagreements between CBS and Paramount.

14. Tammy says:

Is Sarah Gilbert still doing The Talk? I don’t watch it anyway but just curious

• TV Gord says:

Yes, she’s the creator and executive producer of The Talk, too. I imagine her role in this series won’t be too extensive.

15. mia says:

Awesome! Sounds like it could be good. And woot, Ryan Hansen! He’s hilarious

16. tara17 says:

Will check it out for sure.

17. charissa29 says:

The premise seems too tacky and one-noted and depending on how it is handled too potentially misogynistic to be anything but awful. Ehhh, what do I know, and I don’t have to watch it. :)