Fall TV Preview

Once Upon a Time EP: Storybrooke Will Not Be Forgotten — Plus: The Hook-Up You Won't See

Get More: Fall TV Preview, Scoop

Once Upon a Time Season 3 SpoilersAlthough Rumplestiltskin kissed Belle goodbye in the Season 2 finale of ABC’s Once Upon a Time – tasking her with a vague mission to hide Storybrooke from other lookie-loos as he and five others set course for Neverland — series cocreator Adam Horowitz tells TVLine there “absolutely” is a plan to continue visiting the Maine berg.

“Some people got on a ship, some stayed behind,” Horowitz notes. “And what happened to those who stayed behind is just as important as what’s happening to those on the ship.”

RELATED | Once Upon a Time to Make Michael Raymond-James a Series Regular for Season 3

Storybrooke, however, is left populated by only one series regular — Emilie de Ravin, who plays Belle — now that Meghan Ory, who was promoted for a Season 2 arc that wound up truncated, has her own series, CBS’ Intelligence (where she “handles” human computer Josh Holloway). But given that her new show shoots in Vancouver, like Once, and won’t debut until midseason, “Ruby will probably be back at some point,” Ory tells us. “She never died, so she’ll be somewhere.”

Had Ruby been able to stick around, it appears she may have found a “spark” with Victor Frankenstein OUAT_Ruby_Whaleaka Storybrooke’s Dr. Whale. “I know they were talking about exploring a relationship between us,” David Anders shared at the Upfront event for USA Network, where he now recurs on Necessary Roughness, “but Meghan just got her own show! So there’s that. But I’m so, so proud of her.”

As for his own status with Once, Anders says, “I know I’ll be back, but I can’t speak to in what capacity.”

RELATED | Fall TV Scoop: ABC Travels to Wonderland With Once Upon a Time Spin-Off

All of which brings us back to Belle, who undoubtedly will have the Dwarfs, Archie, The Blue Fairy et al helping her watch out for other visitors from the mysterious “Home Office.” “What’s going to happen to her? Who’s left with her? Who might she meet in Storybrooke?” Horowitz poses. “Those are all things that we intend to explore.”

Want more scoop on Once Upon a Time, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (72)

• I’m upset that they didn’t bring her along. There was no real reason that they couldn’t call Leroy and tell him where they left the directions. I liked the idea of everyone in the main cast being together. Plus, I feel like it’s time for Rumple and Belle to successfully be together, at least for a little while.

Comment by Gilda – May 21, 2013 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Honestly, I’ve found Belle more likeable and interesting when she’s not around Rumple, so I might actually like her more with this plotline. I completely understand why Rumbelle shippers are annoyed though, I would be mad too if it were Snow and Charming getting split up again.

Comment by Addie – May 21, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me too. Generally I’m not a fan of Once’s version of Belle, so I’m hoping a nice long break from “But you’re a good person really!” will make me warm to her a bit more.

Comment by Ben33 – May 21, 2013 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. I liked Belle best when she was doing her own thing without Rump. Together they do ZERO for me. I really liked the developing friendship she had with Red too. Shame that was never touched on more.

Comment by Ashley – May 22, 2013 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That is exactly how I feel! I will like belle better without rumple, but I understand why rumbelle shippers are mad cuz I would get mad if snow an charming got split again

Comment by Emily – May 23, 2013 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree I like belle as just belle, not with rumple And I also can cope with rumbelle shippers because I was SO sad when snow and charming were split last season:(

Comment by Rachel – July 8, 2013 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is better for her storyline. If she was with that group she’d just be in the background. Now when we see Storybrooke she’ll be the main focus. She really needs something to do outside of Rumple so this will be great for her.

Comment by Tara – May 21, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I liked her better when she was in the background. I don’t like her as a main character. I miss Ruby though, and I won’t be watching Meghan Ory’s new show.

Comment by Olivia – May 21, 2013 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sure, but Belle fans don’t like her in the background so this is good for both Belle fans and Belle herself. Sucks for her haters though. :)

Comment by Tara – May 21, 2013 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • As a RumpBelle shipper I agree! She does need some time away from him…I mean all this season focused on the both of them and Bae. It will be interesting to see what happens once both Neal & Belle are away from Rumple and vice versa :]

Comment by anna – May 27, 2013 12:59 PM PDT
      • I agree I also think that she should starting going out with other beasts after all the beast she married was a real prince not the king of darkness like Rumble

Comment by anotherguest – May 29, 2013 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The Belle/Rumple dynamic is one of the most unique and compelling parts of the show. Here are two people who have good and bad sides to them. Belle buries Lacey deep within and idealizes the good in the man she loves. If she wants to be in TRUE LOVE with Gold, she will have to embrace the coward in him instead of expecting him to change completely. Rumple has always hidden the coward Gold deep within, and opted to showcase his dark powers in order to feel courageous. Only with Belle’s help can he hope to set aside his dark magic and discover the more powerful magic, true love, which is fearless. I SINCERELY HOPE BELLE AND RUMPLE FIND ONE ANOTHER THE WAY CHARMING AND SNOW DID, BEFORE THE SEASON IS CLOSE TO BEING OVER, BECAUSE IF THEY ARE GOING TO GROW AS CHARACTERS, IT HAS TO BE TOGETHER.

Comment by Shimon Lidmark – July 7, 2013 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!

Comment by mia – May 21, 2013 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope Belle and Rumple are in the same place for most of the season, or they find a way to show more of their story. Good riddance to Red Riding Hood. She sucks as an actress anyway. I’m surprised she has her own show.

Comment by Shimon Lidmark – July 7, 2013 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the hook-up we won’t see was going to be 1) A more unhinted pairing 2) Offscreen between seasons. Not one whose arc was buried and that we really won’t ever see.. But OK

Comment by Scott Sandler – May 21, 2013 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too, I got really nervous at the phrase “Hook-up”. ‘Cause I really wanna see that.

Comment by Tine – May 21, 2013 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they find time to bring Ruby back at some point. Looking forward to seeing more Whale, love him.
    Very excited that Belle will be driving the Storybrooke storyline. I’m a Rumbeller and don’t mind them being separated because Belle needs storylines of her own. Can’t wait to see her saving Storybrooke.

Comment by Tara – May 21, 2013 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • dear god, please make David Anders a regular…thanks

Comment by mac – May 21, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you there, God? It’s me, Mary-Margaret… :)

Comment by gd – May 21, 2013 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Literally LOLing

Comment by Meredith – May 21, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • One change to this show that I actually *CAN* get behind. If they won’t pair off him and Meghan, at least give us more of his character.

Comment by Cici – May 21, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad that we might still get some Storybrooke plots and still get some Ruby. And while this is an unpopular opinion in fandom, I don’t really care about seeing Whale again. His flashbacks were boring and ‘In the Name of the Brother’ was, in my opinion, pretty pointless. But I know he’s a fan favorite so I’ll deal.

Comment by Addie – May 21, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No I find his character a bit pointless too. he’s a minor character, no need to expand his storyline.

Comment by Lana – May 21, 2013 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree the episode about whale was quite boring, which is VERY rare for ouat

Comment by Emily – May 23, 2013 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree too = not a huge fan of Whale. I’m thinking this is a little too Oceanic Six though -and we’re leaving everyone else on the island.

Comment by lauraoften (@lauraoften) – May 21, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree. I didn’t like what from day 1!

Comment by Marie – May 21, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • His flashback was written really terribly, unfortunately. He had immense potential, but the writers wasted him by using his story as a tool for progressing Regina and Rumpel’s stories, not his own. I love him in Storybrooke, though, so I’d kill for more.

Comment by Mellie – May 22, 2013 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh I agree. David Anders is great and I liked the potential idea of pairing off Whale and Red but he works best in the background.

Comment by Ashley – May 22, 2013 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d like to know why they didn’t stock up the ship with food and arms. Shotguns and rifles from the Sheriffs office might be a good idea.

Comment by BrianR – May 21, 2013 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Guns? They have magic!

Comment by Sheila – May 22, 2013 12:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As we saw from earlier in the season… Guns don’t really do anything great in the magical world.

Comment by Mellie – May 22, 2013 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m fine with not forgetting Storybrooke completely, but there is no reason to see it every episode, the three storyline is what made many people hate the first half of season 2, though personally I enjoyed it. The pairing of Red and Whale is not completely lost, if Intelligence fails, which it might since it seems high concept, I’ll love it, but will everyone else?, we could be seeing Red sooner rather than later.

Comment by Mike – May 21, 2013 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Give Belle a recurring role along with everyone else left behind. She’s a weak link with everyone else gone. I’d like to see her on another series, like Ruby.

Comment by Ryan – May 21, 2013 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry it’s been confirmed she’s still a regular. :)

Comment by Tara – May 21, 2013 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mainly, I want to know if all these Story Book characters find their happy endings. And will it be in FTL or Starybrook? Or some place else? Because some dayI when the series ends, we’ll want to know where they find happiness.

Comment by Name That Tune – May 21, 2013 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And Fairy Tales Land?

Comment by ecrc (@snow_bluebird) – May 21, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Belle has Granny and her trusty crossbow! Can’t forget her!

Comment by Mary – May 21, 2013 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wonder, if Granny knows that Red killed Anita? And wouldn’t be cool, if Perdita and Anita were actually sisters. So, instead of been a Dalmatian, Perdy could be a wolf like Red. Then, somehow they can change Pongo into Big Bad, since Red’s not going to be so much on the show. And, finally they can bring Cruella in OUAT. Glen Close should lay her, it won’t be right if she’s replaced. Glenn suits that role. I just want to hear a human-Perdy say, “Pongo. It’s that DeVil woman again.” — I wonder if, Tinkerbell is Perdita and the Lost Ones are the 101 Lost Boys. When the curse reacted Pongo was taken from Neverland, Or, maybe Tink is the one against the Home Office. After all. Tink hates Wendy. Wouldn’t it be so AWWWful if Wendy was alive somehow, she was older Wendy and she became Cruella. I could see Glenn Close becoming an older Wendy. It’ll be so weird. But frightening for Nealfire. Afterall, they both [Wendy/Cruella] live in London. Tink could be Perdita, she lost her magic and now she’s lost and Wendy is holding her captive somewhere in Home Office. Tink could be played by Olivia Wilde, and Older Wendy could be played by Glenn Close. But I doubt it. Glenn’s busy other films now, since Damages ended. Though, she need to totally come to OUAT. I would be so shocked, if the writers bring in Cruella/or an Older Wendy. Would fit, bcos Cruella [ignoring 101/02 films and TV animated series], she never went to Prison for Dognapping, but imagine if Cruella as Wendy made TPerdy as Tink turn all those Lost Ones/Boys into doggies. Would be creepy twist.

Comment by Nicolye Tannin – June 4, 2013 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And the one Tink used to call Peter Pan, as Perdy, he was called Lucky, since he was always the last one of his siblings left behind, meaning Pan’s shadow was lost and somehow, Pan is missing. Tink and Peter [Perdy/Lucky] are somewhere in the Home Office held captive where Wendy [Cruella] has them, since she’s controlling his shadow in Neverland. Somehow, Cruella, not Wendy comes to Storybrooke and Pongo recognises her as Wendy. Makes you think who’s Pongo. It’s not fair, he should be someone.. Maybe Ruby/Red’s Dad. What if, they made Pongo/Roger. That’ll be too weird and gross at the same time.

Oncers’ ignore my comments, or reply. This is my theory. But, it’ll totally be wrong. There’s no chance, they’ll make the Cruella turn out ot be an Older Wendy. But I guess, I’m just hoping they’ll bring in Glenn Close as Cruella, bcos then my dream will come true. If, in theory Cruella is Wendy, Perdy is Tinkerbell and Peter Pan is Lucky. Peter could be Tink’s son. Since the writers are changing their stories from the way WE remember them.

Comment by Nicolye Tannin – June 4, 2013 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im looking forward to season 3. Season 2 was good, but had its ups and downs, hopefully season 3 will be brilliant.

Comment by lIA – May 21, 2013 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This does feel kind of like the Oceanic Six storyline…I can see everyone in Neverland proclaiming “we have to go back!” cause bad things are gonna happen to those “left behind”

Comment by Nick – May 21, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally. I love/hate that Adam and Eddy always seem blind-sided when interviewers point out unintended Lost allusions in the OUAT plot/character interaction/sets, etc. This season was far too Lost-y, and I hope that in season 3 they are more aware of not rehashing old ideas. It’s at least good to know that they do not plan on continuing the too-many-worlds-at-once concept, although how many they think is too many, and the fact that they have either lied or changed their minds on a number of plot-points from last season to the start of this season to the end of it does not make me very optimistic on how things will play out. They had planned for lots more Ruby, but then brought Emma and Snow home early (thank God), and they promised lots of Neal in the last 4 or 5 episodes, which didn’t happen, so if they can’t plan a few episodes ahead for what’s to come for characters and their screen time, I’d say that anyone who believes what they have in store now when it’s still a month and a half until production resumes is setting themselves up for potential disappointment.

Comment by ej – May 21, 2013 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THIS. One of the weaknesses of the series so far is that K&H can’t resist the lure of some shiny new toy, to the extent of ignoring all their current characters and storyline plans, and that they try to smooth over the resulting plot holes with cheap devices (amnesia! evil twins!).

Comment by K – May 22, 2013 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Answered my question exactly! Thanks Matt! :)

Comment by Devin – May 21, 2013 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uh huh, I’m sure we’ll see Belle and Storybrooke next season. Just like we were definitely going to get a resolution to August’s story this season. Which did happen. Just not until episode 18.

Comment by K – May 21, 2013 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • August wasn’t a regular in season 2. They never gave us a timeline as to when we’d get his resolution, just that we’d get it. The actor was busy doing other projects.

Comment by Jesse – May 21, 2013 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t see a timeline for when we’re going to see SB or Belle either. “It’s just as important” doesn’t mean “and we’ll show you what’s going on.”
        It just seems that the show is putting all (or 99%) of its eggs in the Neverland basket. And who knows–maybe it will work. I probably won’t personally be around to see it, but maybe it will work.

Comment by K – May 21, 2013 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Again, it’s not comparable because EIon was only a guest star and he was busy with other projects. Emilie is a regular. While she got a disappointing amount of screen time in season 2, she never was missing for more than 2 episodes at a time.

It’s clear that her storyline will be saving Storybrooke from the home office. They’ve been building the home office up to be a huge storyline. I assume it will tie into what’s going on in Neverland since there are home office members there too.

They wouldn’t have left any regulars in SB if they had nothing planned there, there would have had Belle just go to Neverland too.

Comment by Tara – May 21, 2013 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t call that crap episode resolution or at least not much of one. Far too much Tamara and not enough answers.

Comment by Ashley – May 22, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Belle running Storybrooke? Heck yeah!

I’m going to watch Intelligence just to see Meghan.

Comment by Sarah – May 21, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know who I would love to see have a fleshed out storyline, since we see so little of her? The Blue Fairy/Mother Superior. We know next to nothing about her origins or anything, and since half of the show might concentrate on the fine folks of Storybrooke, I would love for her to get her own episode. But I am sort of biased, because I adore Keegan Connor Tracy (spoiler here: she’s now no longer on Bates Motel, so that frees her up for Once).

Comment by Matt – May 21, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. The Blue Fairy has connections to pretty much every character/story on the canvas and probably a lot more connections too. i think the writers would be stupid to never explore her backstory. Plus I want a definite answer as to whether she was awake during the curse, she acted like she wasn’t but in the first episode August appeared in, she seemed like she knew exactly who he was. Not mention, there are theories that she/the other fairies are the ones who created the “Once Upon a Time” book and probably made sure it ended up in Mary Margaret’s hands.

Comment by Addie – May 21, 2013 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve been dying for a Blue Fairy centric. I hope she plays a big part in the Storybrooke storyline, along with Belle.

Comment by Tara – May 21, 2013 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I want her to turn out to be a villain. She waits until all the major heros/villains have left town… And then puts her plan into motion. Bwahahaha. Belle and team can take her on. I haven’t updated it recently, but if you click my “website” it’s a link to a Google Doc with my Evil Blue Fairy theory.

Comment by Mellie – May 22, 2013 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HUUUGE Belle fan here. Super excited for more of her in season 3! Would have loved more of her in this season though…

Comment by j – May 21, 2013 11:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yuck Storybrooke is boring, so are the characters left there, Belle has no point outside of Rumple. They should get rid of Storybrooke altogether, I hate that aspect. I want a fairytale setting. Permanently.

Comment by Fire – May 22, 2013 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She does have a point. She’s away from Rumple now and it will be up to her to save Storybrooke from the Home Office. That’s a pretty big deal.

Comment by Jesse – May 22, 2013 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel exactly the opposite. The thing that sets OUAT apart is the idea of fairy tale characters in the quote, real, unquote world. I would rather see more of that original premise than adventures in bad CGI-land fantasy worlds.

Comment by K – May 22, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ruby was my favourite so I’m sad they never found the time to give her material she deserves. Excited for her to get her own show though!

Comment by dude – May 22, 2013 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BRING BACK ASHLEY/CINDERELLA!!!!!!!

Comment by Eli – May 22, 2013 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Last Resort got canceled, so she could come back…

I’m glad Belle has her own story going on. I liked her flashback when she hunted that beast with Mulan. She’s a much stronger character on her own than she is with Rumple.

Comment by Mikael – May 22, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They’re setting up Belle for a potentially really awesome story arc. Really excited about it. I hope they use her more than they did in season 2.
    Glad they’re not forgetting about Storybrooke, it’s always been my favorite place on the show.

Comment by Sammy – May 22, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ruby and Whale were such a missed opportunity. I wish they wrote for them instead of Hook and Cora this past season.

Comment by Kelly – May 23, 2013 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel so cheated out of Ruby/Whale this season. They spent almost two years building up their inevitable relationship. This was a show about love stories, wasn’t it? Where’s the love story I was promised??

Comment by Cici – May 24, 2013 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Regina’s cutting is still alive in her office, they can grow more beans, they just have to wait until they’re ready. They’re all spread out now anyway, Neverland, Storybrooke and Fairy tale land.

Comment by Liz – May 23, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More Jiminy/Archie, please?

Comment by M – May 23, 2013 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder how they are going to do the split story telling with this season. We have Storybrooke and Neverland and FTL (no sense in showing Neal landing if they aren’t going to tell anything about it). It’ll be interesting how the Storybrooke remnants would be like, I mean, one of the blogs I’ve read about Granny’s everyday diner arc without the core characters is quite interesting to see but can’t get a clear picture of what conflicts would have been left to deal with…I hope that episode is not a waste. Season 2 had started well with the Charming separation with the grand villains which was a nice balance, but with only Belle and the rest, whose going to “run” the town now? or at least try? since everyone who had are NeverLand-bound including Henry…not to mention flashbacks to answer more question…wow…is that going to fit in season 3 alone??? season 4 anyone – would love that!

Comment by Lxkerrigan – May 26, 2013 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for Season 3. Season 1 was amazing Season 2 had good parts to it too. I got “Hooked” in some of the episodes.

Honestly I’m a RumBelle fan and I did not mind the separation. Separations are great to get to know the individual strengths of the character. For Belle it’s great to see her being a sassy warrior for a bit and taking on a leader’s role for StoryBrooke. I love it when RumBelle happens too. It goes to show teamwork and even more character development on both characters.

Oh and Hook’s awesome. But they haven’t answered the question on Katheryn(Midas’ daughter) they should at least introduce her to that Gym Teacher lol. And I would like to know the whereabouts of other fairytale characters like the “Mermaid” Regina mentioned to Rumple in episode Skin Deep.

Keep up the character developments and plots guys! B)

Comment by wanderer – May 29, 2013 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cannot wait until Season 3. I’m sad that Rumple and Belle had to say goodbye temporarily but I’m okay with seeing her in Storybrooke making new friends. I will eagerly and desperately wait until they both are reunited once more. By the way, I hope Rumple’s fairytale land appearance returns in once they arrive in Neverland. He acts more like a maniac that way lol Although now that he thinks Bae is dead and wants to save Henry, he should be more level headed, eh?

Comment by Autumn – June 19, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even though most of the main characters have left Storybrooke, there still is a point to have Storybrooke scenes. There are still stories to be told and there are characters there. They my not be main characters but there is Kathryn, Cinderella, the seven Dwarves, Blue Fairy, Archie, and the list goes on. They could easily bring back some of them or thet could simply tell another fairy tale characters story. Some of my favorite episodes of ONCE is when they tell other’s story and the main characters are just background.

Comment by Sunny – July 24, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want swan queen so bad! That would make my day

Comment by Rockette – July 27, 2013 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post