Nashville Finale First Look: The Truth Comes Out – Are Rayna and Deacon Finished?

Get More: Finales, First Look, Video

Nashville fans, you knew it was coming.

In Wednesday’s season finale (ABC, 10/9c), Deacon and Rayna finally have a discussion more than a decade in the making when he demands, “Tell me you haven’t been lying to me every moment of the last 13 years.”

RELATED | It’s Official: 666 Park Avenue Returns in June

It’s a doozy — made even rougher by the fact that a grieving Juliette makes Mr. Claybourne feel like dirt at another point in the hour. Press PLAY on the clip below to watch that uneasy interaction — then scroll down for the main event.

Loading video...

Okay. Take a deep breath and press PLAY on the video below to see the whole, terrible truth unfold like an origami swan in the rain — but steel yourself: If the network is releasing this huge moment in advance of the season ender, you just know Wednesday night is going to be absolutely bonkers. Watch the scene, then hit the comments: How do you think Nashville‘s Season 1 will end?

Loading video...

Tags: ,

Comments (53)

• *insert sobbing wail*

Comment by Amanda – May 21, 2013 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t make it past the headline “Are Rayna and Deacon Finished?” . Shoot me now.

Comment by S!NA (@this_is_sina) – May 21, 2013 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh ya. I knew I should enjoy every Deacon\Rayna I could get until this whole thing blew up in her face… Oh the DRAMA!

Comment by Hilla Osovsky – May 21, 2013 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t hold out much hope, but I never say never. He has every right to be pissed at her and everybody. So as much as I love Deacon & Rayna, I will understand if he can’t forgive in this one episode, it’s going to take some time.

Comment by Tina B. – May 21, 2013 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She lied right to his face everyday for 13 years and would have kept lying forever. Rayna’s the worst person on this show.

Comment by Sarah – May 21, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still Rayna not a excuse not to tell him about Maddie. Rayna should’ve told Deacon about Maddie once he got sober and he probably got sober because he lost Rayna to Teddy. If you’re an drug addict there are consequence to that behavior and this is it Deacon.

Comment by Monica4185 – May 21, 2013 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Surprised that readers are made at Rayna. She chose to have the most precious thing in her life be raised by an apparently good-natured father who knew the situation but wanted to enter into it anyway. Then there’s Deacon, who’s a great guy now but lord. I would never let my kids be raised by a drug addict until I had all the confidence in the world that they’d be sober for life, because addicts aren’t good at raising kids. It’s something I’ve seen first hand. So maybe Rayna SHOULD have told Deacon a few years after he achieved sobriety, but I don’t blame her for not. Why confuse a five-year-old like that? Even now Maddie is clearly too young to understand exactly what happened back then. Telling Deacon would’ve meant telling Maddie, and for a mother that’s just too risky of a situation.

Comment by brycealexander – May 21, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! Couldn’t agree more. They need to tell more about the backstory or Deacon will always be perceived as the saint in this. I love Deacon but there obviously have been dark times.

Comment by Rose (@soho_boho_glitz) – May 21, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m with you guys. One thing that’s bothered me this whole season is the fact that Deacon has been portrayed as this wonderful, terrific guy who cannot get over his lost love and people are charmed by it. He’s an addict with an addictive personality and he will ALWAYS be an addict, even if he’s sober now. I completely understand why Rayna didn’t tell him about Maddie and I believe that she would have stuck to her pact with Teddy and never told him. She deserves credit for putting the happiness and welfare of her child before everything.

Comment by Liana – May 21, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m not at all saying Rayna didn’t make the best of a bad situation, but while one totally understands why she made the decision initially, I find it hard to reconcile that the last however many years where Deacon’s been completely sober don’t offer a heck of a counterpoint.
          I certainly don’t expect Deacon to be understanding here.
          It’s one thing to rationally understand that she made the right decision for Maddy at the time, it’s another to accept not knowing he had a daughter for the first 13 years of her life.

Comment by Freddie – May 21, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • But don’t you think he would have reacted the exact same way after I don’t know 4 or 5 years?

Comment by Rose (@soho_boho_glitz) – May 21, 2013 09:21 AM PDT
          • But as a mum she has to put Maddy first. Even if after 10 years she can see that Deacon is now on the right path what kind of tail spin would it put Maddy in to suddenly reveal to her that the man who has raised her since birth isn’t her father. Yes she’s going to go through that now anyway, but not because Rayna has decided to tell anyone.

Comment by Erin – May 21, 2013 02:23 PM PDT
      • Agreed! And let’s not forget the “you broke every piece of furniture in my apartment” comment, so Deacon apparently isn’t a quiet drunk…

Comment by hanne – May 21, 2013 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree. We also have to remember that part of the deal of having Teddy step in was for Rayna never to share Maddie’s paternity with Deacon. When she agreed to that, I’m sure she was expecting for him to struggle constantly with sobriety, so his addiction made it easy for her to make that promise. Not to mention the fact that she never expected her marriage to fail. Rayna made the best decision she could at the time given the information she had. Things have changed. I honestly wish I wasn’t in Rayna’s shoes, because Deacon may never believe that she had good intentions, and Teddy may blame this on her even though she technically didn’t break her promise. And Maddie is going to hate them all for at least a few years. Man, this is rough.

Comment by the girl – May 21, 2013 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree a 100%. I also think that Maddies and Deacons relationship could have been as bad as Jolene and Juliette’s relationship or even worse if he hadn’t gone to rehab, who knows. Rayna put her daughters best interest first and she even tried to help Deacon by putting him in rehab five times. In the second pilot Rayna says that Deacon could have died if he hadn’t gone to rehab, that pretty much tells me that Deacon drank A LOT.

Comment by Tara – May 21, 2013 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely agree! That’s all.

Comment by Louise – May 21, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just another agreement here! Having had experience seeing what happens to kids raised in an environment with addicts, I understand Rayna’s decision. Deacon may be every viewer’s ~oh so perfect guy~ right now, but would you want to raise your child with someone who was in rehab for the fifth time and was violent enough to destroy all the furniture in your apartment? Nope.

Comment by Jay – May 21, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely agree!

Comment by Shannon – May 22, 2013 04:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait, she said Coleman said she should cut him loose. Did that mean break up with him, marry Teddy and have the baby? Or did it mean you’ve already dumped him, get him entirely out of your life? But he’s still been in her life for the last 14 years…that’s not cutting someone loose.

Comment by Shawn – May 21, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I heard that. I look for Deacon to struggle with sobriety because of this. Coleman and Rayna are the two people Deacon could always rely on and they broke that trust. Who will be there for Deacon? Juliette?

Comment by Lisa – May 21, 2013 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are Smug1 and Smug2 over for good? Doubtful.

Comment by c0rinne – May 21, 2013 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nice. What about smug Juliette saying she knew her mother could never get clean in sneak 1?

Comment by Rose (@soho_boho_glitz) – May 21, 2013 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Did Jolene die of an overdose? I get that vibe from the first clip. Poor Juliette has been through a lot in one year. I want Sean (the husband) to come back for a little while.

Comment by Lisa – May 21, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • If you go off of what Juliette said in the episode before last, her mom was allergic to the drugs that Dante supposedly found in her bag. She then bought the same drugs the night she planned on shooting Dante. I believe she had every intention of killing Dante and by taking the drugs she was allergic to killing herself. I think it was her way of helping Juliette out and saving her from the humiliation of a sex tape.

Comment by Krystan – May 21, 2013 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Thanks. I realized after I made the comment I am an episode behind. Real Life getting in the way of my TV viewing schedule. LOL

Comment by Lisa – May 21, 2013 08:55 PM PDT
  • oh snap!!! the finale is gonna be gooood!

Comment by Elyse – May 21, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the finale is going to be great, but some how I think really sad. Get the tissues ready.

Comment by Joanne – May 22, 2013 05:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When I saw the extended trailer and Deacon was clearly going after Coleman, I figured either Coleman knew about Maddie or he was instrumental in Rayna’s decision to probably marry Teddy and cut Deacon loose. Julliette is going thru it – blaming Deacon is dead wrong. Your mama fell off the wagon because your horny lil’ tail stole her sobriety coach and then got royally played. She saved you and figured she was going to keep being a burden, so she ended it. I don’t agree with how she did it but that sure ain’t on Deacon. I got a feeling he’s going off the rails in a HUGE way.

Comment by sladewilson – May 21, 2013 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. And Rayna made the right choice. Did everyone here her say “you broke every stitch of furniture in my apartment”? We were told Deacon was a mess… but apparently he was bigger than just a mess… he was a violent mess. No need to bring a child up with that!!!

Comment by RUCookie – May 21, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In most nighttime dramas, a scene like that comes across as daytime-drama-cheesy. But Chip Esten and Connie Britten are so amazing, seperately and together, that is just comes across as authentic.

Comment by Maria – May 21, 2013 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^^THIS. It’s a testament to the incredible chemistry they have together that this scene feels so real. This finale is going to be epic.

Comment by Maggie – May 21, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I understand Rayna had to put Maddie’ welfare first, that why she allowed Teddy to be the father. He was the good guy. The safe guy. Her daughter was safe with him. And from the sound of it, Deacon was the worst kind of drunk. So I don’t begrudge her lying to him. HOWEVER, Rayna was definitely wrong in continuing a relationship with the man. Once she lied about Maddie’s paternity, she should have severed all ties to Deacon – professionally and personally. But she didn’t. She continued to hang around the man and sang love songs with him. Even when they got together after 13/14 years, she knew she was never going to be completely honest with Deacon. And that wasn’t fair to him. She knew Deacon hadn’t completely moved on from her and their relationship, and she toyed with his emotions. That makes her selfish. Again, if she wasn’t going to allow Deacon in Maddie’s life, then he shouldn’t have been allowed in hers.

Comment by Sunny – May 21, 2013 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agreed!! Rayna keeping Deacon away from Maddie was the right thing to do. But Rayna has always done what she wanted and gotten her own way. She has been unfair to both Teddy and Deacon. Teddy was okay for her as long as he did what she wanted (stayed at home, looked after the girls) but as soon as he wanted more from his life, she pulled away, but still kept him hanging on. Last week he accused her of having an emotional affair the whole time they were married and he was right. No one can argue against that. She should have cut all ties with Deacon years ago, but no, she kept him around, close but not too close. Very selfish behaviour.

Comment by Lucy – May 21, 2013 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know if not telling him after 13 years was right or wrong. But I don’t think she was selfish by staying friends with him because she allowed Deacon to have some sort of a relationship with his daughter. Teddy screwed up the cumberland deal which was why Rayna had to provide for the family. And lots of mothers are stay at home moms why shouldn’t fathers by stay at home dads? you make it sound like a bad thing.

Comment by Tara – May 21, 2013 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She pulled away because he aligned himself with her father in the mayoral race without even talking with her about it, and then stabbed their longtime friend Coleman in the back. Nobody forced Teddy to marry Rayna when he knew she was likely still in love with Deacon, and as she said last week, they had a daughter together so it’s not like they hated each other. I can maybe agree that it was selfish to keep Deacon close, but he could’ve separated himself from her, or Teddy could have forced the issue long before he did this season.

Comment by Katherine – May 21, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Mte. She didn’t object to Teddy having a career, just to his sudden interest in working with her dad to screw Coleman over. Teddy and Deacon are grown men, she didn’t force Teddy to marry her and she didn’t force Deacon to stay in touch with her.

Comment by Geegee – May 21, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Don’t forget about how Teddy was lying to her for a long time about his financial misdeeds. Lying like that takes a toll on a marriage. Then, she found out, and he was no longer the good guy.

Comment by Lulu – May 22, 2013 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kimberly, your Nashville recaps have been the highlight of my TV Line week!! Cannot wait for your take on the finale!!! ;)

Comment by Lucy – May 21, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This whole thing looks heartbreaking. And I love it! For my part I can fully understand and accept everyone’s point of view (except Juliet…she’s just a petulant child). It is understandable that Rayna would’ve felt the need to keep Maddie away from Deacon in the early years given his violent and destructive behavior. I can’t see how anyone would fault Rayna for wanting to protect her child. Where she is at fault however and clearly she understands this by the way that Connie Britton portrays it is that she should have told Deacon much, much earlier once it was firmly established that he was sober and well. She didn’t. She chose to continue to keep this critical information from him and by all accounts would have continued to do so had Maddie not found out. That is where the betrayal is (and it is a betrayal). The same is true from Maddie’s point of view. Quite simply Rayna needs to say to Deacon in the simplest terms: I had good reason for doing what I did but I know that I did wrong you and I am sorry.

Comment by The Kaibosh – May 21, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank You Kaibosh , very well said .

Comment by IMHO – May 21, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But back when she did not know that Deacon would finally get sober, she made a promise to Teddy to keep it secret and to have Teddy raise Maddie as his own daughter. What a commitment on his part! Later on, she could not betray him because he had made such a big commitment to her. Later on, it may have looked like she should have waited for Deacon, but back then, it did not look that way. She owed Teddy a lot, and she owed her daughter a stable childhood, so I do not think the issue is as clear cut as many are saying.

Comment by Lulu – May 22, 2013 05:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No way! As other commenters have pointed out, she has a daughter to consider in all of this, and you can’t just pull the rug out from under her! Rayna, with her own troubled family history, knows how important stability in a family is, and like the good mother that she is, she won’t take away Maddie’s stability. If anything, it would have been selfish and WRONG to tell Deacon, even after it was clear that he was sober for the long-haul.

Comment by belinda – May 22, 2013 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There is no right answer to this which is what makes the drama heartbreaking. Maddie is Deacon’s daughter. Regardless of the good intentions Rayna may have had to originally keep this information from him (and they were good reasons), she should have told him. This is Deacon. Rayna loves him. She always has and always will. And he loves her. It’s not as if he has been unstable for all these years. He has. He’s been sober, stable and successful. Wanting to protect Maddie’s emotional well being is important. But Maddie has grown up in a loving, nurturing home surrounded by people who love her. Deacon and Maddie have known each other for years and care about each other. Scarlet is a lovely person and would only be a positive influence to her cousin. She deserves to know too. There is no emotional obstacle that couldn’t have been overcome years ago without simple communication. This too will be overcome with good communication. But the first thing that needs to happen is for Rayna to admit that good intentions notwithstanding; keeping this information secret for so long was wrong.

Comment by The Kaibosh – May 22, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What’s Deacon dark side? That he let his best friend drive when they were both drunk and his friend was killed. Deacon blamed himself for years, he did get sober it lasted 13 yrs. Rayna couldn’t cut Deacon loose all those years because he is the love of her life. “I Love You And That’s The Truth” and selfish as she maybe she needed him close. Just go back starting with episode 1 there is always a moment in each episode they see each other and just the eye contact says it all.Teddy saw it many times. Maddie should be told who her real father is and why Rayna did what she did. I’m with Deacon on this out of control yes but he has good reason. Everyone he thought he could trust,depend on betrayed him how would you feel finding that out.

Comment by Sutton – May 25, 2013 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • doesn’t anyone wonder why Rayna would leave the paternity papers sitting around to be found?

Comment by rtferko – May 21, 2013 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • From what I saw Rayna had her personal papers locked up in a strong box. When Maddie is crying on the phone the camera showed the box had been pried open with a nail file. The scene played out exactly as one would expect. Any suggestion that Rayna somehow was careless in how she kept her personal papers is I think off the mark. We’ve seen first hand that Rayna has a healthy, respectful and trusting relationship with her family. There is absolutely no reason think that she should need more security for her documents than what she already had. And she would have had no reason to think that one of her daughters would have have any reason to want to break into her personal documents.

Comment by The Kaibosh – May 21, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly. Big beautiful house with no safe for important papers?

Comment by Joanne – May 22, 2013 05:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Have you never met a teenager?

Comment by Chester – May 22, 2013 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hows it going to end? TEARS!!

Comment by Luis – May 21, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my – there is going to be a MAJOR showdown with Deacon and Coleman now. He now knows that HE’S been keeping this from him for 13 years as well. Man Deacon is gonna lose it!!

Comment by Erin – May 21, 2013 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know I may be in the minority here, but I think they played the “deacon is maddie’s father” card too soon. I know we all knew it was coming. I just thought they might not touch it until next season. The other thing is that she didn’t keep Deacon away from Maddie. They call him Uncle Deacon. He has been around for a long time. He may have missed out on being her father,but he didn’t miss out on seeing her grow up. I think the right choice was made when it came to having Teddy raise her.

Comment by Krystan – May 21, 2013 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree that Rayna did the right thing, something that some don’t see is that she tries to stand by her word even if it hurts and isn’t popular. I think they should stay together!!!

Comment by Dyan – May 22, 2013 12:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I give Rayna credit for admitting the truth when Deacon asked her about it instead of trying to keep the lie going.

Comment by Kaelsma – May 22, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post