X Factor Makes It Official: Kelly Rowland, Paulina Rubio to Judge Season 3 With Simon and Demi

The X Factor Season 3 Judges Rowland RubioIt’s official: Grammy-winning recording artist/Destiny’s Child founding member Kelly Rowland and Latin pop star Paulina Rubio will join The X Factor Season 3 as judges, Fox announced on Monday evening.

The duo thus join executive producer Simon Cowell and returning Season 2 judge Demi Lovato at the dais.

RELATED | The X Factor: Mario Lopez Returning as Host — Without Khloe Kardashian

In a statement, Simon (of course) says he is “delighted” with this “Beauties and the Brit” foursome (as Fox is billing it), adding, “It just feels like the time to do something different.”

Rowland’s credits include the UK version of X Factor, while the Mexico City-born Rubio has judged La Voz México (aka Mexico’s The Voice) and Telemundo’s La Voz Kids.

“I am very excited to be reuniting with Simon Cowell and the X Factor family,” Rowland said. “It feels great to be able to take this journey here at home in the States!” Rubio meanwhile quipped: “Simon, be careful what you wish for. Let’s see if you are ready to handle me, empieza la fiesta, amigo!”

RELATED | It’s Official: Britney Spears Is Leaving The X Factor

What do you think of X Factor‘s new judging panel? An improvement on the Britney Spears/L.A. Reid edition?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Fall TV Preview, News, Reality TV, The X Factor

1. JustDave says:

Yay for Kelly! She was the best from the new UK judges. They replaced her with awful Nicole Scherzinger, but here she is again, taking her spot ;).

2. Sam says:

I’m sorry, but can we please pick strong female figures? I like Kelly fine, but as a judge on the UK X-Factor, she was more of a Paula than a Demi. Apart from Nicki Minaj (who’s totally checked out most of the time), there haven’t been many “tell it like it is” women judging singing competitions. It’s like they’re expected to be a certain way. And, I’m sorry, but Simon Cowell is pretty damn sexist, and him rolling his eyes at Kelly’s every comment will enrage me.

• Steve says:

YOu need someone who is not a current singer for that role. Thats why they shouldve gotten some behind the scenes music industry people with experience and with personality and no qualms about saying it like they mean it. Singers who are still singing and trying to sell albums need fans. They have images to protect. They need to be seen as nice and friendly so they can get that endorsement contract for makeup or diet plans or a fragrance. So they dont want to come across as mean or critical. Think about it? Even on the Voice, you almost never hear anything bad…Any negative critique is couched in so much fluff, you dont even hear it.

• Thereasonsy says:

You want prolific? Look at what Idol did to Kara Dioguardi. She is an accomplished songwriter, producer, Warner Brothers music executive, singer and a BEAST. She is exactly what the show needed. Except that everyone hated Kara Dioguardi even though she was repeatedly the voice of reason during her two seasons of Idol and during her second season she was the only one that actually contradicted Simon.

• Mareesa says:

100% agree.

3. Sue says:

I would have preferred Simon, Paula, Randy, Demi. Oh well I will not be watching again this year.

• Tess says:

I heard today that was what Simon wanted to and both Randy and Paula were totally on board with the idea too, but FOX shut it down. I think it might’ve actually been a good thing though; too bad the FOX people were so against it.

I’m okay with Kelly, mainly from seeing her on the UK version – back then I thought that she and Nicole would’ve been better off switching places anyway so to me, she’ll probably work just fine. I’m not familiar with Paulina Rubio though and I would venture many people aren’t so I don’t know how well she will work or what she will bring to the panel but she certainly doesn’t make it exciting. While I applaud them for finally breaking the unwritten rule that men have to equal if not outnumber women on judging panels like this, I kind of find it a bit weird and oddly creepy that the one man on the panel is Simon with three women who are varying ages but all younger than him and given his persona, it just looks like Simon and his harem. FOX billing it “beauties and the Brit” only fuels that feeling…

• Lee says:

Agree. And if the 3 women start to have catty fights as Nicki and Mariah did on Idol–what’s the point watching X-Factor?! It already sounds doomed to failure. I think one of the reasons the judging panel works so well on The Voice is because there’s 3 dudes and 1 woman and they all seem to get along really well. It seems like the more desperate Fox gets, the more stupid they get.

• Steve says:

I dont know if that is true. Paula and Simon on S1 didnt work – and people have been complaining about wanting Randy off Idol for years. He has added nothing but given the same commentary year after year after year. They probably didnt screen test these people AGAIN but at least FOX was able to get a preview of what the judges would be like and probably both these women together are making less than Britney did. Kelly did the UK and Paulina The VOice (go look on ytoube – the few clips I saw she did seem to have some personality and spontaneity…)…I did laugh at the press release where there was a quote of Rubio about how she loves the X Factor blah blah and she loves it so much shes been doing The Voice. They cant be worse than Britney

• Joe says:

It’s completely true. Fox was test marketing the idea of reuniting Randy, Paula and Simon with Demi on X Factor last week. Apparently, many people polled overreacted negatively to the idea of the original AI 3 being reunited and Fox went with plan B. This choice of judges is the death rattle of this show. Reuniting Randy, Paula and Simon might’ve breathed life into the series. If I were Fox, I’d offer Simon whatever he wants to return to Idol and dump X Factor completely and just offer 1 singing show i.e. Idol with Simon back in the chair.

• katia ballesteros says:

I’m sorry but all of you who are saying Paulina Rubio is going to make this boring well you are all wrong .You guys should hear some of her songs on Youtube and then start judging her. Paulina is going to make this “The X Factor” awesome. And paulina don’t worry I’ll always be on you’re side. Voy a estar contigo y te voy a apoyar “La chica adorada” y yo AMO tus canciones! So anyways for all of you , you should get to know someone before you start to judge them.

4. David says:

Why??

• Soa says:

Because they were relatively expensive. Given that this is likely the last season of XFUSA, meaning no more contestant trips to France (remember that in season 1?) so they have some B and C listers that work for reasonable money.

I think this is Simon’s way of fulfilling his contractual obligation to FOX and not burning any bridges on the way out. His new effort is on that weird youtube-idol thing he so creepily promo-ed a few months ago, his failing at making the hot new singing show will now be portrayed as boredom in the genre.

• Soa says:

Grr. INexpensive.

• Steve says:

Simon should be off the panel HEs not the same Simon of Idol Season 1 and the bottom line is people are sick of his schtick. Hes also the executive producer and it doesnt seem fair that the EP of a show is also a judge with interaction with contestants. I want to see how much they copy the Voice from having live Tweets during the show to showing more mentoring etc. Im not looking forward to the XF S3 at all. I wish it would just go away. Im surprised Fox didnt make it just once a week

5. Maris says:

Oh God, I really can’t stand Paulina Rubio, now there’s more cons than pros to watch this… there goes this show

6. bill says:

Trust me on this…….no one cares.

7. Snow says:

I was actually super pumped when there were rumors of Hilary Duff being a potential judge. I know she’s not really relevant right now or known for her music career, but I just like her and I think she’s smart even though her book was ridiculous. I mean if they aren’t really bothering with getting industry insiders they might as well have someone interesting and entertaining. Also, there has to be at least one person auditioning with the name Paulo and I would die

8. BBC says:

Paulina Rubio??? How random.

• Steve says:

Not really. She’s a judge on the Mexican version of the Voice and also on the US Spanish broadcaster Telemundo’s upcoming kids version. So they at least have her on tape and can see what kind of ‘judge’ she is – how she interacted with the other coaches, her spontaeity, her mentoring contestants. Thats more than they had with any other judge. You think if they had screen tested Britney and made her sit in a room and judge some taped auditions, they would have spent all that money? Plus Hispanics are the largest growing minority group. Especially mexicans…so if you get someone whose popular with that audience, maybe theyll watch.

9. Jared says:

Who is Paulina Rubio? lol

10. dan says:

Well, maybe it’s better than paying out for a Britney or Mariah, who are just going to sit there, but … meh. Is Fox really getting behind this, or just letting the contract die out so they can bring Simon back to Idol?

• Steve says:

TVLINE, find out what kind of contract FOX has with XF. Its not usual for a network to commit to x number of years for a new reality show…2 is usually the most. The bottom line is these shows still do ok compared to how expensive scripted programming is -

11. para says:

Who is Paulina Rubio? Would the contestant know her?

12. para says:

I mean I don’t really know her

13. James says:

I’m from Mexico, and I can tell you Paulina Rubio is not a good idea for a singing competition…

14. @JennyS714 says:

Everyone else Voice and Idol have strong female STARS. X factor gets the next best thing in Kelly. And I imagine to fulfill the “Latin” requirement, that’s why Paulina is joining. I like some of her songs but not sure how she will do.

X factor sucks. They need to ditch the big stage, overbearing audience, and get some ppl we actually want to watch on the panel.

15. Rosa says:

You guys are going to like Paulina Rubio, she’s a spicy firecracker.

• dan says:

I hope you’re right. I’ve enjoyed XFactor UK, but the U.S. version isn’t working.

• laura says:

I’m from the UK and the US version of X Factor is way better! there’s no stupid acts they’re all really really good! I enjoyed last years X Factor USA

• Lili says:

They already have Sofia Vergara on Wednesday nights. She is hilarious and has bigger boobs.

16. NedPepper says:

I couldn’t be more apathetic. Still won’t compete with the Voice.

17. RJ says:

Hmmm..NotBeyonce and NotShakira on the panel? Guess Dim

18. Eric says:

I think we might be in for a surprise come September when the show airs. I know Kelly can bring the fun and realness that the show need, just go on YouTube and watch X factor 2011 clips of her. And I think Paulina can become a huge fan favoret if she brings the Latina spice that Americans love, maybe Mario will help bring that out in her.

19. Lili says:

So… Not-Shakira and Not-Beyoncé, huh? What a joke.

• Steve says:

Yeah 20 million albums from an artist with longevity who has already proven herself as a Voice coach. How random. No more random than others they picked. Who even knew who Randy Jackson was a decade ago? Shakira was pretty random…Its not like she was having hit singles currently. Give her a chance and we’ll see.

20. Joline says:

Hate this show. Watched the first year, not the last. Too many over-the-top production numbers, loud shrieking audiences, lack of original talent. No clue why Fox renewed.

21. Diz says:

Who? They do know this is XF USA don’t they? I watched the 1st 2 seasons & this sounds just terrible. Worse than what it already is.

22. Jo says:

If anyone can guide aspiring artists toward superstar status it is the wildly successful Kelly Rowland and Paulina Rubio! Perhaps the new judges can each preform all of their greatest hit.

23. The truth is order to do p90x in everyone really understands that a fifteen minute informed about the best food intake.

24. Mary says:

I really do not care who they have because I never thought this show was good. The whole concept does not work for me. If I were looking to be a serious artist with maybe a little shot of making it I would go on American Idol. What these show seem to forget it should be about the contestant not the judges. I hope AI goes with one musical artist and the other two producers or radio personality no other stars who want to further their career.

25. Kathleen says:

I am not excited about these new judges AT ALL. I have never even heard of Paulina. Not sure I will tune it even though I love Simon. I think he has made a mistake in not getting bigger names/more seasoned artists.

26. JP says:

I feel like Kelly is going to be a great judge but I have no clue who the other girl is. I’m just excited to see a Kelly-Demi dynamic.

27. april says:

I wonder why people are so negative, we all knew keith urban , nicki minaj and mariah carey but didn’t they all fall short somehow? So for me am really excited that the new judges are not super divas.the less famous and big they are the more they try to impress.and the women in question have done this before. I think they deserve a chance to work!instead of backlashing!!!

28. Thereasonsy says:

Can we just all move to the larger argument and elephant in the room? Perhaps these shows aren’t doing so well anymore because the market is over saturated and there is also no need to invest in them since most of the “winners” fade into obscurity faster than they ascended into fame.

29. Ginger says:

Yay for Kelly! I wish they would have put a Latino male on the pannel instead of Paulina. Maybe Enrique Iglesias or Ricky Martin.

30. Brad says:

Hillary Rodham Clinton for XFACTOR judge! The repor between her and Simon Cowell will be like lightning in a bottle. HRC will slay it!

31. Jay says:

Ru Paul should have been a judge.

32. Nedsdag says:

I think it just might work. Now, if they can only find a winner who will sell millions, then that would be gravy.

33. socalgal says:

Should have been Cyndi Lauper & BabyFace.

34. Anabelle says:

Hope contestants are being judge on their vocals and how they deliver the song, not their nerves, nor their looks, nor being belittled by opposite judges. Hope the judges take their job seriously and not hurt the contestants feelings nor be bickering each other, embarrassing us by such stupidities. Now, if judging is taken seriously and with much do respect, then the judges will concentrate in coaching the contestant and not be thinking of bickering each other. A judge owns the respect by respecting others. Let the show be what America wants to see, a contestant truly being judge for their vocal talents and becoming the next American XFactor by whatever whatever judge.

35. Beth says:

I wish they put amy lee as judge oh god it will be so awesome .

36. katia ballesteros says:

Paulina is AWESOME . I’m mexican and i have loved her songs. “La chica adorada” is gonna bring to make this a great and fun sesaon.

37. scott miller says:

The Heck with the Mexican girl speaking her spanish all the time this is x-factor america not mexican factor this show is going down hill and fast!!!