BBC Renews Doctor Who for Season 8

DoctorWho_HideThe Doctor will continue to travel worlds.

The BBC has ordered an eighth season of Doctor Who, the British broadcaster announced on Saturday night, just as Season 7 wrapped with “The Name of the Doctor.”

RELATED | Doctor Who‘s 50th’s Anniversary Special: Why John Barrowman Won’t Appear

Per the announcement, executive producer Steven Moffat is already “plotting a brand new run of adventures for the Doctor.”

On Nov. 23, Doctor Who will celebrate its 50th anniversary with a 3D special starring Matt Smith, Jenna Coleman, former doc and companion David Tennant and Billie Piper, respectively, John Hurt, Jemma Redgrave, and Joanna Page.

The festivities will continue later this year with An Adventure in Space and Time, a TV-movie about the genesis of the long-running series, and the annual Christmas special in December.

1. Phillip says:

This show is just simply AH-MAZING.

• Leigh says:

Agreed. And I love Clara. Doesn’t mean I don’t still love other companions (and River!), too, or other incarnations of The Doctor, but I really, truly love Clara. I hope they don’t rush to put her in a romantic relationship. There’s something nice in her dynamic with Number Eleven that would be lovely to explore.

2. powerturtle90sdudemon says:

Is this really news? Everyone knew the adventure wouldn’t end on the 50th Anniversary…

• Indeed.

In other news, water is still wet, lol :P

• Especially since Matt Smith confirmed days ago that he was returning for Series 8.

• Simon Jester says:

And Jenna-Louise Coleman confirmed it in March. But it’s not “official” until the BBC says so.

• Bob says:

The BBC has been known to do very silly (and stupid) things at the very last minute. So nothing is truly guaranteed until they make the official announcement. As for Matt Smith, he’s coming back, but for how long? I smell a regeneration in 2014.

• Maggie says:

I agree. Smith never said that he was coming back for the entire series. And while the BBC has officially confirmed that Coleman is returning for the entire series, they haven’t officially confirmed that Smith is coming back at all. And the BBC said Moffat is writing an outline for the next series, but haven’t confirmed he’s coming back as Executive Producer/Head Writer. Moffat has been vague about whether or not he will actually return to the show full time.

3. AT says:

Happy to hear the news. Though I was really ready for a new showrunner. Moffat’s ideas are starting to feel really repetitive. I’m ready for something fresh.

• Repetitive? Did you not see the finale?

• AT says:

I did. It was like Moffat’s version of Bad Wolf. Clara jumped into the timeline just like Rose looked into the Tardis. And both became the Doctor’s protectors. That said, there’s the constant over use of time loops, paradoxes, mysteries, and variations on “don’t blink.” I also don’t like how he’s written Clara to be a blank slate with no actual characterization. All his female characters kind of feel the same. Bit of sass and a bit of flirtatiousness. It’s feeling old to me. Not that I haven’t liked a lot of what he’s done. I’m just ready for someone new to take over because it’s starting to feel stale.

• Temperance says:

I don’t think we watch the same show.

• Tess says:

I completely agree. Moffett’s recycling and repackaging old themes and rewriting what we know of the Doctor to suit his whims. One thing has been bugging me since the finale – when the Doctor was shot in “The Impossible Astronaut” and believed to be dead (we all now know better on that one), it was imperative that his companions burn his body so it did not get into the wrong hands, yet now we are to believe that the Doctor would eventually be buried when he dies? Which is it? Because I would think that if the Doctor says to all his companions “oh by the way, if I can’t regenerate anymore and wind up dying while we’re travelling, you are to follow these set protocols to burn my body and the TARDIS will take you home…” then no matter who it is that is with him when his time comes, they will follow through and thus he would never actually be buried anywhere…right?! In which case, this whole episode was just a bad set up to get out of the mystery of the “impossible girl” whose only real trait that we have come to know in her brief time with the Doctor is just being a mystery he can’t seem to resolve and neither could the writers.

I guess we should not be surprised that Clara’s story resembles Rose’s seeing how we’ve had nods to Rose for most of Clara’s time in the TARDIS. Even modern Clara’s eventual meeting with the Doctor seemed set up by Rose seeing how it was a “shop girl” that gave Clara the number to reach him…

• Because, even the first time the Doctor “died” at Lake Silencio, it was always the Tesselecta. I doubt River knew better and the Doctor probably even planted that notion in her head to begin with. Burning the “body” was simply to hide the evidence of the Doctor’s deception and a way for the Silence to think he was truly dead.

• Bob says:

Keep in mind that River Song knew that “The Doctor” was really the Teselecta all along, even the “first time” he was shot. Burn the body (at her suggestion) to leave no evidence that it wasn’t really The Doctor.

• lucy says:

I forgot about the shop girl- and that was the big question I wanted an answer to after that episode. Shop girl who??

• James Wilson says:

I have been watching the show since the 1970’s and I never tire of it. Just how old are you when you say, “it’s feeling old to me?”

• Leigh says:

Put me in the pro-Moffat camp. I’ve enjoyed the season-long arcs and the mysteries behind the companions. Plus, Matt Smith!

• Len says:

Except for the finale and the gaimen episode before it, everything else in the 2nd half of season 7 were throw away episodes. The characters all did excellent, but the stories were certainly not on par with the rest of the reboot.

• Alan says:

after years of russel “i cant remember any other villains other than the daleks, again” davies i’ll take moffat and his complex well thought out plotlines over the repetitiveness of the davies era any day.

• My impression from the finale was that this would be the last time we see her. This River was the one that the Tennant Doctor saved in the library, and at the end of the episode she seemed to, for lack of a better term, derez.

I think this encounter was the only linear one they ever had.

• Floyd Norman says:

And I thought I was the only Doctor Who/Tron Fan XD

• Tess says:

The sad thing is, if that is the case, then Moffett gipped us from seeing the pivotal moment in which the Doctor sees River for the last time before her death in the Library, when he gives her the sonic screwdriver because he knows she will need it there. She made it a point to tell 10 about that when explaining why she had it and why it was more advanced than the one he had and all… I honestly would think with Moffett’s love of River that he wouldn’t want to deprive us of seeing that sad moment when the Doctor knows he is sending her off to her death… and yet we seemed to have missed out on it based on this episode showing us a post-death uploaded to the computer River rather than a still living one who only the Doctor knows (and by extension, the viewers) is coming to the end of her timeline.

• interesting, I’d forgotten about that.

• lesley says:

There is actually a minisode that addresses that. The Doctor keeps running into different Rivers and has to keep them all from seeing each other on the Tardis. At the end, there is another Doctor, and reference is made to the Singing Towers and the two Doctors share a look. It’s about as close as we’re likely to get to an episode that features that day at the Towers.

• lucy says:

That moment in the Season 6 box extras. There are a series of mini-sodes that show how most of River and the Doctor’s encounters take place (at night, while Amy and Rory are asleep) And you definitely see the moment when that happens.

• It dawned on me about half-way through the episode that River’s wardrobe was the same she wore in the virtual world after being backed up by Ten. That was pretty clever.

4. Midori says:

How about we get back to getting 14 new episodes a year instead of the BS with splitting the seasons in half.

It’s 50th anniversary and we get one special, a Christmas episodes and the rest of series 7 that should have aired last year.

• chris says:

all of series 7 has aired that was the series 7 finale last night

• Maggie says:

The first half of series 7 aired in 2012, and the second half this year. Midori is saying that he/she wants them to get back to airing an entire series in the same year. Given that it’s the 50th Anniversary year, the fact that they didn’t air an entire series, but only the second half of what should have been last year’s series, seems a sad way to honor the show.

5. Barb says:

A year without a concentration on the companion (and a mystery surrounding them) would be appreciated please. Plus, no more split series. I don’t like them here and I sure as hell don’t like them for the UK shows either.

6. Mike says:

This is a shock. This show should be around for years.

• Bob says:

It makes The BBC GOBS of money, so naturally they’re going to try to keep it around until it doesn’t make money.

7. Sara says:

For someone who hasn’t seen a single episode, what season do you recommend me to start with? If I start with the current cycle of 7 seasons, would I miss anything from the previous 40 years or so?

• Meghan says:

Definitely start with season 1 of the reboot aka the Christopher Eccleston Doctor. I know a lot of people find the episodes silly, but there are some truly great episodes and Eccleston is an underrated Doctor. It’s easy to jump in starting with the reboot because you don’t have to be a long time fan to understand what’s going on. They do make references to the past, but none so overt that you won’t understand the current storyline. I think the biggest nod to the past (apart from this last episode) was when former companion Sarah Jane Smith showed up. Start at the beginning to fully enjoy it.

• lucy says:

I love Eccelston. I think either his series or Matt Smith’s are good jumping off points. Starting with Tennant would be too confusing because the companion carries over and so do the plot lines that involve her family and friends.

• Stefan says:

just start with the new cicle – i did as well and never had the feeling i missed much – sure, there are a lot of stories from the earlier years, but my day has 24 hours and i simply dont have time to rewatch all the old stuff (besides not even knowing where i could get the old episodes)

• Sheila says:

Noooooooo! She would miss so much that way! If you can’t watch the originals, definitely start with Eccleston’s series!

• I’d say it’s pretty easy to come in at the 2005 Series 1 New series premiere. Even the 2010 Series 5 introduction of Matt Smith’s 11th Doctor is an acceptable jumping off point, though you would miss the epicness that is David Tennant’s 10th Doctor. You probably will need to keep the Doctor Who Tardis Wikia site handy to look up references to the classic series that you don’t understand. It’s a great resource. I do think if you do decide to watch Who you might want to watch a couple episodes from each classic Doctor at some point to get a more rounded impression of the Doctor’s character. When I started I watched from the 2005 Series 1 of the new series then after I caught up, I went back and checked out the classic Doctor episodes. It can be very daunting to look at a show with over 750+ episodes and think “Where do I start?” but trust me it can be done.

• Tusk says:

I agree with the others, start with season one of the new run. IMO casting Eccleston was a primary reason the restart transitioned so smoothly into the new stories.
      Unlike Tennant and Smith, Eccleston’s underated Doctor, has an edge to him. Still quirky and manic, there is a sadness and an edge to his interpretation that helps tell the story of this Doctor who came out of a galactic war as the sole survivor riddled with guilt that he contributed to the ‘end’ of his race, the last remaining Time Lord (or so we are lead to believe)…
      This is important in the retelling especially regarding Rose, who factors heavily in Tennant’s run. It is Rose, the human companion that grounds him, prioritizes things for him, points him towards doing good and valuing every life…. instead of slipping into the creature of regret and fury for the decisions he had to make to end the war.
      My ‘Doctor’ was John Pertwee, but I don’t know how necessary it is to rewatch the old series. There is a fondness of memory for long time fans, reminicing back to the days of youth, Pre CGI, and in some cases, pre colour. The days when cardboard walls didn’t matter as much, and the overacting was quaint….. if you have time, I enjoyed the Pertwee/Tom Baker seasons the best, otherwise, google is your friend if a reference you don’t know comes up.

Even as a fan who watched in the UK, in the 70s, even I get a bit bored watching the old Doctors, now. I would never go back to watching those hundreds of episodes as IMO, they are more exciting for the young me than the adult me.
      The new series has much of what makes the Doctor, the Doctor, but with better drama, story arcs, actors and FX
      BTW add ominous, sing song nursery rhymes sung by english children to the list of overused Moffat story telling techniques :P ;)

Also…bring back the Doctor’s Daughter, Jenny ! :D

• Sara says:

Thanks everyone :) will check it out during summer

• Bob says:

If you are interested in watching any of the original series episodes, watch them first. They’ll seem very slow-paced, perhaps even boring, along with looking a bit shoddy, when compared to the 2005-2013 episodes. Differences in available technology, bugdets, etc.

8. Ciara says:

@Sara – Since iu are new to DW, start with the 2005 renewal of Doctor Who with Christopher Eccleston as the 9th Doctor. You can watch all the episodes from then on and reach series 7. And if you want to watch the classic series, watch it on netflix or other video servers.

It’s no doubt Doctor Who would be renewed. But I read that Series 8 is Moffat’s last run as head writer and there MIGHT be a mid season regeneration, but I’m not sure.
    Awaiting for the 50th anniversary to blow me away cause David Tennant’s back! :D

9. david says:

what happened to the prophecy? silence didnt fall when the question was asked

• I was thinking the same thing. Maybe there’s more to the story? Technically speaking, we’ve yet to see them escape, so the inference is clear, this is TBC. I don’t recall if there was or if there wasn’t a to be continued on screen.

• Zak says:

Silence will fall as in not actual silence, but the Silence organization. If all The Doctor’s victories are turned into defeat like G.I. wanted they wouldn’t have anyone to manipulate. So the fall of their order will occur when the question is asked that opens his tomb giving G.I access to his time stream.

No idea if any of that is true, just what I think it was suppose to mean based on everything that happened. Moffat is famous for giving half truths in statements. The question hidden in plain sight (Doctor Who), The fall of the 11th (Literally falling to Tranzalor in the Tarids), The Name of the Doctor (The Doctor’s regeneration that broke his promise to himself).

• david says:

could be. It wouldnt be doctor who if it didn’t leave us scratching our heads :) 6 months wait before next episode and then 1 month until new Christmas episode. Here is to hoping the trailer for anniversary will be released in September if not sooner.

Also I am already thinking about how moffat will kill Clara off lol no happy endings

• When you say that, the “fall of the 11th” makes perfect sense if you are insanely literal about it. I also took “silence falling” as the Doctor zipping his lip when he was asked the question. Especially since nobody could hear River saying his name to open the tomb.

The title of the episode was just a clever wordplay. His little monologue about a name being a promise was the meaning being the episode’s title. Much like how “The Bells of Saint John” were just cleverly referring to the TARDIS’ phone and really had no bearing on the theme of the episode beyond that.

• Alan says:

stories not over yet, everything moffat has been doing since he took over has been building up to the 50th anniversary special.

10. mia says:

More River Song and please, for the love of everything Who, PLEASE bring Jack Harkness back for an episode (or ten).
    I cannot ever get enough of River + Jack. Or heck BBC, give us that R+J spinoff Barrowman and Kingston want to do.

11. Ziahsnow says:

So many doctor who stories out there. If one truly wants a greater understanding of the Whoniverse you gotta go beyond the tv screen. Hundreds of Who stories have been put out by Big Finish in the form of audio plays( my favriot is Paul mcGann as the 8th incarnation) also there are books, comics, and cartoons. And if you really dig in you’ll find a lot of “loops” dead ends timelines paradoxes, repetition of themes and cross overs. Any one that doesn’t like these things should find something other than a time traveler who re-incarnates. With that said, good job Mofatt! After 50 years and possibly thousands of doctor adventures you had a tough job to do, you did good!

12. Bark Star says:

What a mediocre and mostly uninteresting season. Both Claras big secret and the Great Intelligence were wasted as there was hardly any buildup or story arch. It was mostly standalone monster-of-the-week episodes and most were not above average. I assume that is intentional so Matt Smith doesnt have to deal with “deeper” scenes as he clearly does not have the acting capabilities for them.

Its time for Moffat to step down.

• Ziahsnow says:

The Doctor has always avoided the “deeper” side of things, it’s not really his thing as a time lord or gallifrean. His companions have always shown a lack of understanding in this department and often would try to compensate for it. Remember The doctor has been around a realllly long time, his 11 carnations havimg often lastwā longer than we see, hear, And read about…i do feel that when The 12th Doctor finally carnates, Then Mofatt should definitely step down, till then 11 is his…

• mark says:

Sorry my friend, but you are in a very small minority. In all the major Who forums, The Name of the Doctor is being widely praised as his best since Blink. In fact, voting on all these sites is running at around 80% excellent, 10/10, or 5/5. The season itself, though not the best, is still being considered of a high standard. As for Moffat stepping down: you’re out of luck again, he’s already working on season 8 now as the BBC have already confirmed.

13. chris says:

Overall, this season(series) I have enjoyed the Doctor…I hesitate to point this out, but it IS only television, so if it isn’t quite up to everyone’s idea of perfect, it’s really not the end of the world. It has been fun and entertaining, which is after all what television is for. Oh, and Last night my daughter (aged 18) was playing with Bubbles, and the whole family looked at her and simultaneously noted that it was only a matter of time until Moffat makes us afraid of bubbles, too! add them to angels, statuary of any kind, kitchen wisks & plungers, small lost children, shop mannequins, any kind of christmas choir, losing your train of thought, and the internet.