It's Official: The Voice's Original Coaching Lineup Will Return for Season 5 This Fall

voice coachesThe old gang is officially getting back together!

NBC announced this afternoon that Blake Shelton, Adam Levine, Christina Aguilera and Cee Lo Green have all signed on to return as coaches for Season 5 of The Voice, which is set to kick off this fall.

The quartet held court in the show’s trademark swivel chairs when NBC premiered the smash singing competition in April 2011, and remained a package set through the end of Season 3, when Aguilera and Green announced they’d be taking leaves of absence to work on outside projects.

NBC added that Shakira and Usher, who stepped in alongside Shelton and Levine during the show’s current fourth season, are confirmed to come back for Season 6 in the spring of 2014 (once again along with Levine and Shelton).

“We locked in a plan several months ago to have the outstanding Christina Aguilera and Cee Lo Green rejoin Blake and Adam for Cycle 5, and we’re pleased to announce that the original four coaches are going to be back together in the fall,” said Paul Telegdy, President of Alternative and Late Night Programming, NBC Entertainment, in a release. “They’re the reason this show was launched so strong for the first three cycles and we owe them a debt of gratitude. And after careful consideration of everyone’s schedules for next spring, we are excited to be returning the current cycle of judges — Shakira and Usher along with Blake and Adam — for cycle 6, which will premiere after the Winter Olympics.”

Excited that NBC has shored up all six of its coaching puzzle pieces through next Spring? Any ideas of what combo you’d like to see in Season 7? (You know there’s gonna be a Season 7.) Sound off below!

1. Damn says:

Wait i thought Usher and Shakira where back?

• kavyn says:

They’ll be back for season 6 (ie the Spring season). The coaches are alternating.

• M. J. says:

After enjoying the hell out this season with Usher and Shakira as judges, I don’t think I can sit through Cee Lo’s descent into ultimate creepiness (which animal will be his co-judge?) and Christina, well she is downright annoying. But if I do tune in, it is only because of Blake and Adam. Just saying.

• BettyB. says:

I couldn’t agree more! Bluntly, Cee Lo disgusts me. I’m OK with Christina but I really enjoyed both Usher and Shakira’s turns as judges. I may skip the season with the former judges …

• Sue says:

My sentiments exactly!

• Sue says:

I don’t mind Cee Lo but I do not like Christina! On principle, I will not watch the fall show. Hopefully, if enough of us do this the network will get the idea.

• lindacrozier says:

I thought Shakira and Usher were terrific and I’m sorry they won’t be on next season. The chemistry of the judges was so much better than with celo and Christina…and it was so much more fun to watch.
          Thankfully Adam and Blake will still be there..but I am disappointed Shakira and Usher will not be joining them

• Cheri Henderson says:

You’re just jealous because you have no talent and Christina and CeeLo should take their rightful place at the chair where it all began remember it was Christina, CeeLo Blake ,and Adam who originally made the Voice work and in turn WHAT IT IS TODAY,oh and of course Carson Daily!.I know along with millions of others that Christina Aguilera has the best voice out of any female singer today. If any switch plays are done it should be Blake and Adam giving their seats up for a season!

• Malika says:

It´s not going to happen, Blake and Adam said both, that if they do stay out a season they are gone for good and both said also, that if the one is out the other one is out too. There are actually people that just watch the show for Blake and Adam so the producer will keep the two together as long as possible…

• squall says:

yup, i totally agree with you

• MARCIA M says:

Boo, for Christina & Cee Lo returning! My hubby and I are 60+, and never watch any of the other shows, like American Idol, etc, etc.! We started to watch “The Voice”, almost right from the beginning, and love it, except for Cee Lo & Christina. Cee Lo is weird, as everyone has stated, and Christina thinks she is G….. gift to the world. Usher and Shakira brought so much to the show, and we’ve never seen the judges get along so well. We did see a change in Usher towards the end of the season, but we wonder if that’s not because he was told that he had to leave for the season, and was disappointed. We are probably going to do what a lot of others have stated, and that is not watch season 5!
      Comment by The Disappointed 2

• jen says:

I won’t be watching until Shakira and Usher are back, the four judges last season made the show. Now it’s no different than American Idol and America’s got talent. All three shows are a bore without the right judges.

2. Ana Morais says:

So sorry to hear that… Usher and Shakira were so refreshing for the show!!! The Voice this season is so much better without Christina and Cee Lo…

• Bunny says:

I totally agree with Ana’s comment. I’m 56 and this is the 1st year of The Voice I really enjoyed and it’s because of Shakira and Usher. They brought a new energy to the show I don’t think Cee Lo and Christina did. I for one am sorry to see they’re returning. I probably want watch season 5.

• Samantha jones says:

I sure wont be watching the voice. It was refreshing without xtina. Cant believe they are bringing her back.

• Anonymous says:

Shakira was the best judge this season, imo. I’ll definitely miss her for season 5. I’m speaking as a vocal coach here, too. She gives, hands down, the best vocal tips of all the coaches. (Blake is 2nd place with that, the guy rarely misses a bum note.)

Between Ceelo and Usher, I don’t care that much. Ceelo has WAY way better taste in music than Usher, though, and I find his coaching style better too. Usher making them do push-ups/workouts and having Michelle sing into a mirror was all just too hokey for me. Usher’s an amazing vocalist, but I was shocked to see how terrible his music choices for his team were. The songs were outdated, cheesy, or just overdone; he has yet to make a single creative, innovative choice. At least Ceelo did that…

Also, I’ve gotten pissy with Adam in the past for some of his choices, but his team is hands down the strongest of them all this season. Amber especially–what a VOICE!!

I wish we could just do away with Christina. She’s so freaking annoying, and the whole “pop only” approach she took last year was so snore-worthy. Even w the pop “artists” she chose, they weren’t very good singers. And yeah, her taste in music, though better than Usher’s, was pretty poor.

I’m disappointed in Blake for doing an all country team this year, but for some reason don’t begrudge him that the way I did Christina. Maybe it’s because the talent level of his team is higher than Christina’s last year was (Christina obviously sacrificed better singers to keep the team all pop, Blake did not do this). I find every single one of his team members to be incredibly boring, however (Holly, for example, is very off-putting, self-centered, and one dimensional, and this shows up in her boring performances and boring song choices). There were better country artists who he could have ended up with, but oh well.

• gretalynn says:

I agree……Shakira and Usher are much better to watch and listen to than the other two. Usher’s smile is that of a little boy who has done wrong but is trying to get out of it. Shakira honestly looks like she is interested in the contestants. My belief… Christina can’t stand the thought of someone being liked more than her. Cee Lo is just weird to me.

• Linda says:

absolutely I agree – I tuned in this season because I love the banter between the current judges and Shakira acts as a great foil between the guys – I won’t tune in when the original judges come back

3. Amy says:

Awesome, I always loved the original line up, I’ve missed Christina and Cee Lo this season, I think the chemistry between the original four is better. I like the rotating coaches each “season” though, it makes the show more refreshing, I wonder if Blake and Adam will take a season off soon.

• Lynn says:

Give me a break! Christina’s chemistry doesn’t mix with any of them – and Usher’s coaching has been such a refreshing change from Christina’s non-coaching.

4. Tammy says:

The Voice is airing a season in the Fall of 13 and the Spring of 14. Blake and Adam are in both, Christina and Cee Lo in Fall, Usher and Shakira in Spring. Kinda neat! I just hope that the change between the two seasons is enough to not burn out viewers. I really enjoy the show.

5. Doesn’t answer my initial question Shakira/Usher/?/? for Season 6 in Spring ’14

• J. says:

Shakira and Usher will again replace Christina and Cee Lo in the sixth season, i.e. the spring cycle, as they did this season. They will all still coach alongside Adam and Blake, both of whom are set to do both the fifth and sixth seasons.

6. Lena says:

So I’ll be skipping Season 5 and will wait for Season 6.

7. kijang aja says:

Oh no… not Christina…

8. Hmmmm. Wonder if ratings will be affected by this.
    Not so much Cee-Lo, but certainly Christina alienated a lot of viewers from the “Tony Lucca” incident onwards.
    Personally I’d rather she not come back, unless she can magically stop Carson ripping it with…..his…..long….pauses…..for….dramatic…..effect which lead to eliminations during sped up closing titles.

9. JAO says:

Glad they’re alternating! I’ll check out the fall just to see if Christina is nicer to women on the show. I hope she doesn’t wear that pillbox on her head again.

10. Ashley says:

let’s jump to season 6 already

11. Philip says:

I wonder who will take over for Blake and Adam when they choose to take a break or if they will take a break ever?

• J. says:

Blake and Adam both seem to enjoy working together and on the show as well as appreciate the tremendous boost that it has had on their careers. They also seem to endear to the viewing public more than Christina, Cee Lo, Shakira or Usher. I can only imagine that the producers of the show will do anything in their power to retain the two of them as much as possible.

If ever there does come a season in which the two of them need to take a season off though, the show seems to be willing to alternate between all six of the coaches. Perhaps we could one day see a season with JUST Christina, Cee Lo, Shakira and Usher as the coaching panel?

• Blake says:

it’d be tough for them to do that as there would be no coaches for the voices who tend to lean more towards the country music. Cee Lo, Christina, Adam, and Usher all seem similar kinds of music. I just don’t think that would work out

• Joeo says:

That would be the end of the show.

12. lori says:

Wish Cristina had stayed gone. Happy to see cee lo though. I think he chooses interesting artists, along with Adam.

• J. says:

With Cee Lo’s recent performance on the show alongside his second season finalist Juliet and his advising Shakira’s finalists this coming week, it almost feels as though he hasn’t even been gone this season!

13. Warren says:

I’m sure many will appreciate having the original judges back, but after seeing how the show is with Shakira and Usher, I personally am not thrilled by the return of Xtina and Cee Lo. Cee Lo generally didn’t give useful criticisms, often rambling on about beautiful souls and ethereal auras, while Xtina seemed like she was there to play the game but not to help the singers, playing favorites as a judge and not selecting variety as a coach. Shakira, meanwhile is incredibly sweet, intelligent, and a refreshingly different kind of female judge who avoids the cattiness (Xtina, Nicki Minaj) or airheadedness (Paula Abdul, Britney Spears, Kara DioGuardi) or general uselessness (Mariah Carey, Ellen DeGeneres) that other female judges in the genre have shown. I was not a big fan of Usher at first because he seemed cocky (and still does), but he’s been an intriguing presence and fascinating coach to watch, and he doesn’t play favorites even though I totally expected him to.

• Charged says:

You absolutely nailed it. I’ve watched all the seasons (the only competition show I’ve ever watched, actually), but have found this season so much more enjoyable without Xtina–and have genuinely enjoyed both Shakira and Usher. Unlike the other coaches, Xtina always seemed to put the focus on herself instead of her team (and always with plenty of cleavage as well–which I don’t generally mind…if you’ve got it, I’ve got no problem with your flaunting it, but it just always seemed a bit much with her). There’s no denying she has awesome pipes–but I personally found her a turnoff in every aspect as both a judge and a woman. Still, I watched despite her.

Wasn’t sure what to expect of the new coaches, not really knowing either that well except for having seen their music videos. But Shakira has been absolutely refreshing and adorable to watch and get to know a bit about this season. It seems odd to think of her as adorable, because she is without a doubt an extremely sexy woman, but she is sexy and adorable all at once, without even trying (I could be wrong, but I don’t think I recall even seeing cleavage once with her this season–whereas you just couldn’t not notice it with Xtina). And that has been such a fantastic contrast to Xtina. Plus, she seems so much more involved with and interested in her team’s success than Xtina was ever able to feign. Her relationship to the other judges also is more enjoyable to watch.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Usher as well. Cee Lo got a bit too creepy in his constant commenting on his appreciation of the good looking women on the show, but he never bothered me like Xtina did and from what I recall, seemed genuinely more interested in actually trying to do well by his team. But if I had my choice, I’d rather watch Usher. Never expected him to be as “aw shucks cute” as he comes across (yes, a bit cocky–but even so, not completely stuck on himself and not afraid to be silly), and he also seems invested in trying to help his team.

I’ll have to seriously think about whether to watch Season 5 or not before definitely coming back for Season 6 with Shakira and Usher–as others have suggested hereon as a way of “protesting” Xtina and hoping to get Shakira on full-time. But I wonder if enough would really do that to have a meaningful impact on ratings? Anyway, I’ve been thinking this and just wanted to add my thoughts as I saw your more constructive comment on here. Cheers to Shakira and Usher!

• MARCIA M says:

Wow, thanks for the response. It was as if I had written it, as these are our sentiments exactly; thanks!

14. Lee says:

Usher and Shakira will be back season 6 maybe by then XTina and Celo with decide to leave permanently cause the fans are sick of Xtina and she’s not worth 17 million dollars for season 5 NBC has created a diva monster

• Trina Yates says:

I couldn’t agree more! Diva monster? Great choice of words. Shakira and Usher (once he settled in) were a refreshing addition to the show. It was wonderful to not have to be subjected to all of Cee Lo’s antics, ridiculous wardrobe choices, and animal friends, and Christina throwing her somewhat hefty body around as if she were a size 2 teenager! i’m not looking forward to their return. As much as I love the show, I may even skip season 5.

15. JDuro says:

Though I prefer Shakira and Usher on the panel, I’m alright with Cee Lo and Christina. Regardless with either 4 person panel, The Voice is far superior to Idol and X Factor. I’m really glad The Voice locked up Shakira and Usher and didn’t allow them to get away from them, possibly hired by those other two crappy shows which I would love to see go away.

16. Leela says:

Could they just give the show a rest and only have it on once a year? I can’t believe the network execs say “Oh, here’s an idea, let’s put 4 similar shows on, some at the same time” and then they wonder why ratings are down. I know The Voice ratings are high, but unless it (and the others) produce viable stars they aren’t going to last. Not to mention all the producer manipulation, the “casting,” the sob stories, the exhorbitent salaries commanded by the judge/mentors. I’m getting sick of the shenanigans just writing this…time for a break.

17. SnoreBrothers says:

Noooooooooooo! Zach Swon’s Scream mask expression :) I do not enjoy Christina. Her with an unfriendly diva like stare. The way she presents herself is totally unwelcoming.

18. Mike says:

Now announce the return of Purrrfect as well, and not that weird parrot.

19. Brian says:

Can’t wait! I love season 4, but seasons 1-3 were like the best. I honestly don’t get why everyone is saying Xtina is a bitch because she isn’t. She speaks whats in her mind and very few artists can do that which I respect! The ratings of the show actually went up a lot from season 2—>3, so I have no idea why people are bringing up Tony Lucca… Xtina and CeeLo gave the show a boost and is the reason why The Voice stayed for long. This fall, spring alternation is great because it gives the viewers a new perspective. Hopefully season 7 will be 2 girls and 2 guys because I would love to see Xtina and Shakira be on the same season so they can fight for a Latino/Spanish person since can speak fluent Spanish! Hehe… Can’t wait to see what the voice has for us!

• Matrix says:

It seems personal for Christina with certain contestants and it seems to be Adams contestants- like Tony Luca and Amanda Brown. Once she gets that way she will give them negative, underwhelming or patronizing feedback in an attempt to sabotage their chances of winning. It got really obvious with Amanda- she was out of contestants and was sure to diss Amanda and at the same time start backing Blake’s contestants. It was clear she did nt want anyone from Adam’s team to win. Not a good coach for the panel. Hope she leaves after season 5 and never returns.

• Debra DeLeon says:

Totally agree with you she had a bad attitude with Tony Luca that was so wrong thats what totally
        changed my mind with her Ce Lo is wierd to me

20. Sue says:

Looking forward to having everyone back except for Christina and Usher. Wish we could have Adam Cee Lo Blake and Shakira together.

21. Leah says:

I think it is smart to rotate the coaches, it gives them time to do other stuff, and not have to leave the show for good. It also shakes things up a little bit, and will hopefully keep the show from getting too tedious.

22. MrMank says:

The only thing I care about in this article is that Shakira and Usher will return in the Spring. Season 4 is the best one yet, and that’s largely due to Shakira and Usher. Usher in particular is the real deal as a coach. Love how he prepares and nurtures his talent.

23. Gio says:

I love all of these old people who hate Christina. You’re in the minority. Christina got a big raise to come back. Why? Because ratings have been down for 3 weeks straight. Half the season. They need to bring Christina and Cee Lo back before it gets any worse. You will deal!

• delia says:

One smart person,thanks God.I hate Shakira,i didn’t watch the show this season and i can’t belive that stupid Shakira is back for season 6.The ratings are low with stupid Shakira and Usher.The queen Xtina is back for season 5 and i heard for season 7,i can’t wait.,i count the days for that to happend.

24. Davej says:

BOOOOOOO!!!

25. EveatEden says:

I think if Blake takes a break Miranda should sit in for him hehe :).

26. Samantha jones says:

Xtina was not missed and not worth 17 million. That is sickening

27. Janis Coquillard says:

Best season ever. The new hosts added a lot of class to the season. I’m disappointed Usher and Shakira will not return. I doubt I’ll watch the next season.

28. matt says:

Hmmm, top 10 recap is late tonight, is it because his favorite, Ambah, wasn’t the best tonight? Just joking Slez, I am honestly thinking you are one of the best recappers online, looking forward to it.

29. Tom22 says:

Hopefully they don’t screw up the voting again the first night so i can watch next season. Their explanation that they’d just count one type of demographic voter but knew how the other types of modern forms of voting would yield roughtly the same top 2 of each 4 .. (not even text? : using an 800 number is like using a rotary dial phone for people under 25 in the circles I know.obviously some groups are different.. i can’t imagine we’d have the same tastes with such different perceptions of whats normal.). Had they put it in some other way than suggesting that their method was the fair and prudent way voting irregularities should be handled. I could bear it. (i know they tamper.. big deal.. just NEVER set broad expectations about what is and isn’t propper in terms of handling elections a far bigger matter than the show.. they can be abitrary or biased.. just don’t say its a fair way of handling elections.. say the votes messed up and we decided these 3 should go through…etc)

30. Debra DeLeon says:

Thats to bad that their coming back don’t like Christina and CeLo it won’t be the same Usher and Shakira added so much flavor and Entertainment

31. Haley says:

Personally, I don’t like Christina or Cee Lo.

I watched the first season of The Voice and stopped watching until season 4 (the current season) ever since I heard they weren’t returning and Shakira And Usher were.

I like Shakira as a person and am a huge fan of Usher, both as a person and an Artist.

I’d prefer if Christina and Cee Lo weren’t involved in season 5, just the current four.

But if they want to involve the original 2 I think it would be awesome if they’d have all six judges together.

Of course they’d all have to agree with it and there’s also a factor that they’d need to take breaks at some points for touring or whatever else they’re doing.

Because of course, in fact each of them are huge names and have a lot to do with their careers and personal lives so I suspect that would be very hard to pull off.

But I can guarantee you that next season with Adam, Cee Lo, Blake & Christina I will not watch. . . Again.

32. Justin says:

I would love to see Aretha Franklin

33. John says:

I like the group they have. Shakira and Usher genuinely seem to care like Adam and Blake. I also feel the talent this year has not been as good in years past. May be adding to ratings issue. Christina Yuch! Cee-lo Weird!

34. tl says:

Love the craziness that Cee Lo brings to the table, without him it would just be vanillia with Blake and Adam. Christina they could do without, because she provides no honest coaching, and is very self-centered, poor played out diva…

35. Can’t take Christina, will not watch next year just like I quit last year.

• M. J. says:

Christina is so annoying and she offers no constructive coaching to any of the contestants and Cee Lo is riding the crazy train, imho. I’ll wait for the Usher/Shakira season to return.

36. Maybe make a new show with Christina and Nikki Minaj and I will be sure to skip lol

37. Aserly says:

Can’t wait for the SEASON 6!!! Love this current coaches, love all of them. Let Shakira and Usher be back in season 7 too.

• MARCIA M says:

You’ve got that one right! Did you see the fun all 4 of them were having last night on the show? They’re the best!!!!!!

38. sueludwic says:

Keep the current judges they are fun and get along and we don’t have ti listen to xristina whining and show off with adam it was ugly. I will watch it unless this current team stays on.

39. sueludwic says:

Meant will not watch unless current stays on

40. Lisa Palladino says:

Here is why I really can’t stand Christina.. She pushes her button. Turns around..and if she does not think the person is attractive enough for her…she gets this weird look on her face…like ooh…I should have not turned around. Your really are not that pretty Christina…I’m sure others will disagree…but I think pretty is both inside and out. Including a wonderful personality. I really hope you read this Christina…maybe…you could improve your actions..and stop thinking you are all THAT!!! Yes, no doubt you are a great singer…but you need a better personality. Work on that Christina and maybe you will be more accepting by the fans of “The Voice”. Celo…why? He can’t even sing…

• MARCIA M says:

Pretty is one thing, bitch is another. And she isn’t even that pretty. I truly feel that a persons warmth and good personality, brings out their inner beauty, and that is what’s important!!

41. Lisa Palladino says:

Christina….try to act more like Shakira…so beautiful. In and out. Now that is attractive…take a hint Christina!!!

• Cristina says:

Right on! Shakira is a class act: warm, involved, smart, funny, unaffected and totally adorable in every way. I won’t miss here on Season 5 because I am not going to watch The Voice until she and Usher are back. Christina Aguilera has never impressed me as a person. Great voice, but that’s it. Shakira is the real deal.

42. For season 7, please put Shakira and Usher on. I like it much more with them two on the show. I think it got more ratings. I will be the right age for season 7, and I want to work with either Shakira or Usher. I would prefer Shakira, though. I want to meet her so much. Please, put Shakira and Usher on permanently. I will have a better chance to see them.

43. Cristina says:

This was the first season that I have ever watched The Voice, and I loved the dynamics between the four judges. They were great together. I didn’t know Blake Shelton from shinola, but will now forever be a fan of his person (don’t like country music, sorry). He is adorable, and the repartee between he and Adam was hilarious at times. Shakira is the greatest. She should have gone to the finals with Sasha. As for Adam and Usher… it doesn’t get any hotter.

As for Cee-lo and “La Aguilera” for next season… sorry, they do nothing for me as artists. I’ll wait until the 6th for Shakira and Usher, baaaby!

44. Cristina says:

I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if Shakira continues to be involved in helping to promote the careers of her team members. Same goes for Usher. They, together with Adam and Blake, seem like genuine human beings who really care.

45. John Anthoney & Judy says:

I was a lifelong construction supervisor and never watched these kind of shows. I’m retired as of 2013 and I really enjoy watching the Voice with my wife. Not so much the other shows! I think the Voice has a hit for a long time to come.

John A.

• MARCIA M says:

I don’t know what has happened to Christina this season. My hubby and I swore we would not watch the show anymore, due to her snobbish, I am the best, attitude. I took a peek last week, and she has turned into an absolute sweetheart. Maybe it’s that she has read all the bad remarks about herself, or maybe it’s motherhood, or all of the above; who cares. All I know is that it is an absolute please to see the change, and if it stays this way, we’re back!!

46. Mhee says:

I don’t want Shakira and Usher to come back .!! I love Xtina .. and I hate Shakira . :'(

• MARCIA M says:

My hubby and I have got to admit, Christina has gotten a lot more mellow. She gives compliments, smiles a lot, and seems more composed. Maybe motherhood has done it!

47. Erika says:

Christina and Ceelo and Blake and Adam are The Voice!!!!!!!! I could not sit thru a show w Shakira and Usher it was soooo boring!!!!!’ The chemistry between the original crew is amazimg! And Xtina is the reason i watch this show…..

48. dianayousif says:

I really hope Christina comes back for season 7. Don’t care too much about cee Lo however I gotta say that the original 4 are really crazy and fun. Shakira and usher were boring. They didnt have the same chemistry Xtina and cee Lo have with Blake and Adam.

49. Joe says:

All of you Christina haters are just jealous of her and her extraordinary talent. She gives the best comments on the show. Yes she is a Diva and deserves to be. Her knowledge of music and I mean all music is unrivaled. Her criticism is always constructive and very helpful . She is the only reason I watch The Voice.

50. Dawn Theobald says:

Would like to see Christina leave the show, she does not like women for some reason and people really see her biase. She is just not nice on the show:(