Exclusive

Exclusive: How I Met Your Mother Makes Cristin 'Mom' Milioti a Full-Fledged Series Regular

How I Met Your Mother Season 9 SpoilersHow I Met Your Mother‘s signature quintet is swelling into a sextet.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Cristin Milioti, who was unmasked as the titular mom in this week’s season finale, will take the title of series regular during the comedy’s upcoming ninth and final season.

RELATED | Who’s That Girl? Introducing How I Met Your Mother’s Long-Awaited Mom

This marks the first time HIMYM will have expanded its core group of regulars beyond stars Josh Radnor, Alyson Hannigan, Neil Patrick Harris, Cobie Smulders and Jason Segel.

Series cocreator Carter Bays previously revealed that as HIMYM unspools its ninth and final season, viewers will become “much better” acquainted with Milioti’s bass-playing cutie as the show tells “the epic story of the longest wedding weekend ever.”

VIDEO | How I Met Your Mother: Watch the Finale’s Big Mother Reveal

CBS entertainment president Nina Tassler later  confirmed to TVLine that Season 9′s entire run will, in fact, span the wedding weekend and just the wedding weekend, as the comedy details “how each character, before Ted, meets the mother. So, they each meet her independently before he does.”

1. Mike says:

Personally I’m happy about this, it is the best way for us to get to know the mother, before she inevitably meets Ted, which should be before the series finale.

• Joline says:

I now hope that it’s a shortened season because 24 episodes of one weekend is unwatchable. Especially when we already KNOW the outcome (with Ted meeting her at the station).

• There’s a show starting called ‘Mixology’ where the entire *series* is set over the course of a single night in a bar. So clearly a fair few people think it’s an idea which could work.

• Dan says:

you only say that since you don’t know the first thing about writing a tv show, let alone a genius and incredibly intricately designed one.

if theres ONE group of writers in the world who know how to do intelligent and intricately detailed comedy storytelling its the HIMYM team so shut up and actually see how they do it because this is the ABSOLUTE PERFECT way to do a season 9.

what WOULD have been terrible was if they delayed the wedding and everything by AN ENTIRE YEAR and we had to AGAIN go through another year of “in the summer of 2013, during christmas 2013, in the spring of 2014″.

or even worse if they had done the beyond dumb, nonsense suggestion of having the mother be part of their group for a whole season (yeah that makes total sense on a show called “how I MET your mother”) the show ends when Ted MEETS the mother, morons. End of story.

Luckily we got a genius idea from Bays and Thomas, can’t wait.

• Bob says:

I Think the fact that we see Ted meet the mother and that is it is not good enough after nine season. She should be part of the group so we can see how she fits in and why she makes the perfect woman for Ted.

• chris haskell says:

unwatchable? In what way? How Ted meets her is yet to be seen. This show has great writers. Just enjoy it. You didn’t watch 8 seasons to bring judgment and give up now.

• RockGolf says:

I’m hoping there’ll be a couple of episodes narrated by Milloti explaining the near-misses where she didn’t meet their father.

2. Dee says:

Stupidist. Idea. Ever. 24 Episodes for one weekend. Blech.

3. Beto says:

The 9th season is gonna be Legen…wait for it.. dary, LEGENDARY!!!

4. Hmm.. I’m going to take a wait and see approach..

• Mike says:

I take advantages of flash forward it could be interesting, I’m glad the mom is a regular, I’m less crazy about the longest wedding ever, but I think it is best to see a few episodes before calling it the worst idea ever.

5. Mike says:

Sounds a little bit like HIMYM meets 24 lol

• NJMark says:

Not exactly. Events will not unfold in real time. It sounds like they’re doing they’re usual “Rashamon” method story telling.

• Quinn Mallory says:

Isn’t that how the new season of Arrested Development is like? I have faith that the HIMYM power would do this well.

6. mg714 says:

I’m happy Cristin Milioti will be a series regular but I still am not fond of the whole last season being only about the wedding weekend, mostly because it means we won’t get to actually see Ted and the Mother being together before the show ends. If they can use flash-forwards of them together, though, then I’d be more accommodating to that… I guess we as fans just have to wait and see.

7. RobMF says:

You just know with all the fan jokes about 24 they’re going to sneak a countdown clock in there somewhere.

• Alan says:

either that or a keifer sutherland cameo.

• Jonathan says:

Interestingly, the original conception for “24″ was following 24 hours in the day of a wedding and make it a romantic comedy, Co-Creator Joel Surnow has acknowledged in the past. Thankfully, that idea was scrapped and became one of the best counterterrorism/action shows.

I’m interested in seeing how HIMYM writers will make this upcoming season work.

8. mspenn1013 says:

Don’t like the season of the wedding idea however if they use flash forwards correctly, it could work. Guess we’ll have to wait and see.

9. Avais says:

So long as there are flashbacks for the Mother and flashforwards of all of them, I have no issue with this plan!

10. ggny says:

Cristina Milioti is amazing and perfect casting. But just one weekend spanning 24 episode is a mistake

11. Maki says:

22 EPISODES about 2 days! Tremendous. I can’t wait! The writers will have to put alot of effort to keep it going!

• UpstateAdamL says:

“Did you see the episode where Ted took a twenty-minute dump while Marshall argued with the front desk of the resort about getting stuck in a room next to the ice machine?”

12. Sarian says:

Still cannot believe she is the mother. I can think of at least 25 different actresses who are much more attractive and yet just as funny.

• Matt says:

Thats a very shallow comment and beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyway. Ted spent all this time looking for the mother and all she should be judged on are her looks?

• Josh says:

I feel sorry for your brain.

• John says:

How many play the Ukelele?

She’s a pro level musician.

• John says:

Oh and while IMDB’s photos are not great, from others out there she is, in fact, rather attractive. Not that I don’t doubt it was the ukelele that sealed the deal.

• Apparently people only have value if they are the most attractive. None of their other qualities count. Why are the escorts at Cannes being touted as even more attractive than the movie stars? If appearance is everything, they should be the movie stars?

• Mike R. says:

I think she has this quirkiness, that will make her perfect for Ted, no she is not drop dead gorgeous, but frankly she is still adorable. Looks aren’t everything.

• april-ann says:

No, of course looks aren’t everything. But in fairness to fans who were disappointed, we really were led to believe she was quite something. And after so long I can understand the disappointment. Some things make sense and some don’t. I can understand now that if she and Ted had crossed paths why she didn’t catch his eye. Then there’s Cindy. “Yeah, I ended things with Cindy because I fell for her roommate” said no date of Cindy’s ever. And I have no problem with someone who looks like a real girl. But at first glance she looks very young, and anorexic, not like a real girl at all. We were shown a glimpse of Cindy’s roommate’s leg as she stepped into the shower. That looked like the leg of a real woman. When we saw those tiny legs walking in those oversize boots, I at first wondered if it was the future, and it was one of the characters’ young daughters. It’s possible she does turn out to be “perfect for Ted”, but there’s something that puts me off so much that I doubt I will be watching. And that is that she looks exactly like Lily. Lily is my least favorite character, I find her annoying and one of her is enough. Besides, I do find it a little creepy that she looks so much like Lily. There must be something that forbids it, lol. Like maybe “A Bro never marries his best Bro’s wife’s doppelganger”. So please be patient with some of us fans who have a different point of view. We may come around yet, I trust the show to know what they’re doing and this may work out after all.

• Mike says:

To be fair there was little mention of her looks besides stealing guys from Cindy, and I always thought that part of the mythology was only going to lead to disappointment, and it has it seems. I don’t see the resemblance to Lily if I’m being honest. If all the people who are hating on the mother were as eloquent as you were in their reasoning it wouldn’t bother m as much, but when people like Sarian only complain that she is not “hot”, frankly I find that very superficial. This is of course my opinion.

• John says:

Because stealing guys from a lesbian is such a high bar?

• Mike says:

No, but that is the main excuse when people complain about the mother’s looks.

• John says:

I’d think then the complainers need to wander further than IMDB where, true, her photo’s are not much: three screengrabs from 30 Rock when she’s got this blond thatch…. Otherwise, though I’m sticking with the Ukelele as the deal sealer, she’s rather atrractive.

• april-ann says:

I never said Cindy’s dates were all guys, John.

• Tyler says:

Using flowery prose doesn’t disguise your shallow point of view. Hopefully you stick to your original plan of probably not watching so those who are enjoying it without disappointment are able to continue to do so without your inane commentary.

• brutony says:

Hey. April-Ann, Shes attractive, ok? Maybe shes not your cup of tea, but then again, with a name like April-Ann, Id assume you like Men, man! We like her, We think shes hot, and most importantly, Ted does!

• Brooke says:

She’s adorable and you clearly lack any inner aborableness.

• ER says:

You are literally going to every single article about HIMYM and talking about how unattractive you find YM. You are free to stop watching at any time. I’m sure when people were auditioning for Ted, there were much more attractive people than Josh Radnor available. But, few would have been able to do Ted with as much depth, humor, and realness that he’s done it with. Maybe give her a chance to do the same?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

No trolling every HIMYM post, please. Thank you.

• klo says:

A more known actress would have a lot of people seeing the mother as the actress playing the mother and not as the actual character.

• Matt says:

Is it odd that I find her extremely attractive?

13. Mick says:

I’m glad she’s a regular !
    And, maybe everybody meets her before Ted does… but when has HIMYM cared about order ? On another site, it was reported that season 9 will have some of the most non-linear episodes of the series, and that every episode will feature a time jump of some sort.
    Let’s hope the season is gonna be legen… wait for it… Mommy ! LegenMommy !

14. hello says:

We have only seen her in one scene and i already love her, really looking forward to getting to know the mother

15. katy917 says:

I agree, there definitely needs to be both flash forwards and flash backs or it won’t work. As long as we get to see things from her perspective (flash backs) and also see her and Ted as a couple (flash forwards) then I think it could possibly work.

16. Marge says:

Worst idea ever! Well I hope, like many others before me, that we will have some kind of flashfowards to see what the others plan to do during the year 2013-2014 because in a way we’d still be stuck in May 2013. I’d like to know how Marshall’s judge gig is going to pan out for one thing. And seriously 24 épisodes for 56 hours?! I know that in a row it’s only 8 hours but still!

17. John says:

Season regular translates to a lot of screen time, so potentially a lot of screen time with Ted. Backing up their testing extensively which for a momentary glimpse or two would have been unnecessary.

So viewers will get to see their relationship develope, the payoff, IMHO, for all these years of buildup toward their getting together.

Good.

18. Liaa says:

I know the 8th season just ended but can the 9th season just start already? I seriously can’t wait any longer lol

19. John says:

“CBS entertainment president Nina Tassler later confirmed to TVLine that Season 9′s entire run will, in fact, span the wedding weekend and just the wedding weekend, ”

Does not appear to leave wriggle room for flashbacks or forwards.

• Toni says:

That makes me nervous. I feel like no flashbacks/flashforwards would take away a bit of the personality of the show.

• Mick says:

The story of season 8 took place from September 2012 to May 2013, with flashbacks and flashforwards.
      I think this comment from Nina Tassler means the MAIN story will span the wedding weekend (instead of spanning 2013-2014 like it would have been for other seasons), which does not mean no flashes.

20. kavyn says:

I like the casting choice, but disappointed in the decision to have the show span an entire wedding weekend. A few episodes is fine, but it feels like we’re being robbed of Ted/Mom’s relationship building up.

An idea that however WOULD be cool is a bunch of episodes on mom’s point of view of all the near-misses with Ted, and using those episodes to develop her character. Would also be a great way to bring back old characters and have them engage in casual conversation with her without them knowing who she is to Ted.

21. powerturtle90sdudemon says:

Is anyone surprised? She’s the future WIFE of the narrator/protagonist. She’d be there at the bar at the table with the 5 others.She’s different from the newbs on Scrubs and The Office’s seasons 9. We were WAITING for her

22. james says:

I don’t mind the whole longest wedding weekend ever thing as long as we get to see ted and her actually together at some point. If the series finale is just them meeting, I will be so pissed.

23. I am so glad we know who the mother is now and can go into season 9 focusing on getting to know her and finish the storyline (and series) strong. I think they picked a great actress for the role. I love that she is less well known than some of the other potentials we’ve met. She’s incredibly talented and beautiful, and I can’t wait to see her interact with the rest of the characters.

• the girl says:

I love that she isn’t super famous too. She totally looks like someone who would end up with Ted. She looks like she’s adorably sweet, like I’d expect her to teach a class of kindergartners how to get really messy while color painting. Which is a weird comparison since Lily used to teach and the Mother TOTALLY looks like Lily, but still.

24. JT says:

Well duh, that was a no brainer. Next season is the last one.

25. Aly says:

I just can’t get excited about this Season 9 plan. I hope they will prove me wrong.

26. AcE says:

They couldn’t find a hotter actress? she is so not good looking.

• Pipotipipota says:

Ted isn’t exactly a 10 himself…. An 8 with beer goggles maybe. A 6 in real life especially if he starts talking.

• brutony says:

Actually, she IS good looking-she just looks half the age of the rest of em!

• ER says:

Which, I think, is accurate considering we were told that Ted was a (accidental) professor in one of her classes. That means she had to be in college only a few years ago.

• brutony says:

Oh, THATS right-yeah, she was his student,,and soon, the student, will become the master-or in Ted’s case, the Mistress, because hes a sub waiting to be exposed by his Dominatrix! I do have some fantasies for them-after all,, ever see Lily in her all black leather outfit?

• John says:

Allyson might have saved some of those “Bad Willow” outfits?

Oh my.

• brutony says:

Actually, Lily DID wear that, as well as Michele in American Reunion-did Willow do that too? I never saw Buffy!

• Maya says:

I agree. She’s not attractive to me. She could be the smartest person ever or she could have the best personality… whatever. She still has a butta face. Just being honest. No need to get all pissy about it. People are judging by looks because that’s the first thing we see. Duh! Hopefully, we’ll fall in love with her others attributes as the show goes on.

• brutony says:

If people like you dont think shes attractive, then just go watch Glee, or anything else on LOGO, because you’re either gay, mad, or just a liar!

27. the girl says:

I haven’t seen all of the episodes of this show (because I really just started watching it this year) but has anyone ever mentioned what the mother’s name is? Or is she just, the mother?

28. I’m glad she’s going to be around for the next season, so we’ll get to know her better.
    Not sure I like the idea of the whole season being that weekend

29. brutony says:

Wow, you mean they’ll FINALLY have to change that same ol opening, with that pic of the 5 of them? Maybe get a NEW pic, after all these years? Or will they just crop her pic into the 5 of them, like they did on Rules of Engagement, with that new Indian guy?

30. MB says:

She is just adorable.

31. Amelia says:

You guys all make out Ted to be an adonis. He is good-looking but no one is better than anyone.

32. Sg. Grant says:

To me, it isn’t that she isn’t good looking. It is just that Rachel Bilson is so much better looking than she is, so it is a bit far fetched to think this girl would steal all the guys from Cindy.

I still wish they would have cast Odette Annable in the role.

• Gee says:

Cindy never said that the Mother stole guys from her, she said that guys fall in love with the mother.big difference. she is cute and I bet has a fantastic personality that people fall in love with.

• brutony says:

Oh, I would have LOVED Odette on here, but I guess they wanted an unknown. And a girl doesn’t have to be “so much better looking” than another to get guys-she just needs a certain “lifestyle choice”-AKA loose!

• Alan says:

nothing was ever said about her looks being why she took guys away from cindy.
      i dont know about other guys but looks are only a part of the attraction for me when it comes to women, a good personality is far more important to me.
      anyway what exactly is wrong with her? i think she is beautiful and easily a match for rachel bilson.

33. j says:

Eh, being a “series regular” doesn’t necessarily guarantee lots of regular screentime. Plenty of shows have actors under contract to make sure they’re around when necessary, but Glee for example didn’t even have Amber Riley or Mark Salling onscreen for the vast majority of the episodes S4.

34. Zed says:

Any chance the long weekend includes Memorial Day? Isn’t the wedding on a Sunday?

35. Nicole says:

I think its exciting to see a face thats not famous, shes beautiful, some many insecure ppl on here. it will be great to see them interact with the mother, i want Barney to introduce Ted to the mother n say have u met Ted that would be awesome.

36. Thomas says:

These Writers haven’t seem to let me down yet, I’m sure whatever they do for the ninth season will be great. Great choice having Cristin Millioti as the mother, I think this show is awesome and unpredictable…….

37. LoriLuvsTV says:

It is only Ted’s idea of beauty that matters. If Ted is in love with her, HE is going to think she’s beautiful. The actress is an attractive woman. She’s not going to be “most beautiful” but that’s OK. Lets face it, if they had Ted marrying Agelina Jolie, THAT would be completely unrealistic. Ted’s sort of a tool, after all.

38. cas says:

I didn’t really find her that likeable and I did expect her to look a little different but I just hope they can make us as fans really like her and agree with the choice. I have always been a Ted and Robin fan, and I find it repulsive what they are doing right now with that storyline as they should have just let it die a nice natural death, Robin should have found someone nice besides Barney because I don’t buy them either. Either way, I am sure everything will wrap up nicely.

• brutony says:

You don’t find the Mother that likeable? WE DON’T EVEN KNOW HER! I guess first impressions mean a lot to you?

39. BigFanOfHIMYM says:

I’m a big fan of the show but 24 episodes of just one weekend? But I trust the writers, I’m sure they know what they are doing and can’t wait for season 9. However the mother looked like she had more weight than Christin Milioti (she was not fat or anything, but…) when we saw her ankles or when we saw her in Farhampton. Not that important guess, but I wish they were more careful with that. I’m really curious to see the 24 episode weekend. I cannot come up with a better idea for us to get to know the mother before Ted does, so I can’t complain. Plus I’m sure it’s going to be legen-wait for it-dary in an unexpected, wonderful way.

40. Lisa J says:

I just want to know when Josh Radnor will actually start being the narrator. I imagine the mother joining Ted on the couch, but it would have to be the ‘real’ Ted (Josh).

41. Gus says:

I only picked up HIMYM in the last few months after seeing the pilot episode on an all day special. I have been hooked since and am almost through season 4. Sure, it may not be the most sophisticated show ever, and maybe the show has tailed off over it’s long run but who cares? Ted’s trials remind me so much of me and my own road to love (How I met my son’s mother :)) that I am massively emotionally invested in seeing him find happiness. It’s the way a show connects and makes you feel that matters. I will watch on to see Mr Mosby walk off into the sunset with his Miss Perfect. There is nothing wrong with a happy ending

42. fabmeq says:

she is very very pretty. And she seems innocent and pure.
    I like her already.

43. gus says:

I don’t get why some people think Old Josh is telling his kids about their mother, who is actually dead. And that he is actually with Robin. As long as he hasn’t found the one Josh will be attracted by the idea of being with Robin. But in reality they both know they aren’t right for each other. He will meet the girl with the yellow umbrella and she will
    complete him

• Cas says:

Why are you referring to Ted as Josh but still Robin as Robin? Strange. Some people still like Ted and Robin. Or find it hard to believe after all the years Ted has been in love with Robin that he is going to fall madly in love with some girl all in one weekend. The writers are going to have to do a hell of a job convincing me of that.

• gus says:

Oops, yeah it’s hard to separate fiction and reality sometimes… It can happen; after years of dating I knew pretty quick that I’d met my future wife. Sometimes you just know

• fabmeq says:

after years of dating with or without a great love like Ted loves Robin and Robin seems loves Ted in the two last episodes . It’s impossible that Ted falls in love of an other woman during his old girlfriend is marrying

• Xyz says:

My thoughts too. Yes some people do know right away but not when you are watching someone you love marry and not when you are in love with someone else. That stuff doesn’t magically disappear. And if they try to say well turns out Ted really wasn’t in love with Robin that will be a bunch of bs because it was pretty clear he was.

• brutony says:

Translate that into English please!

• fabmeq says:

I just wanted to say that it is impossible that Ted falls in love with another woman while his love, his former girlfriend is getting married

• brutony says:

No, its not!

• Xyz says:

Yeah because a weekend is enough time to fall in love with someone. Even after you watch someone you were in love with for so many years and you thought they were the one walk down the aisle, you are still able to meet someone and just fall madly in love in a few days. Most people wouldn’t buy that.

• brutony says:

Apparently youre not a GUY, cause most of us can fall in love in a weekend.. and then fall out of love by Mon, lol!

44. gus says:

Good call!! Ted has form in this department too…. If that was a logical argument Ted would never have fallen for Stella, or Victoria either.
    Ted has been waiting for this girl, his backup is getting married. It’s the right time. I hope the theory that the mother is dead/gone is false. It would be the biggest fizzer since the Lost finale

• gus says:

Ted’s despair about not finding his perfect girl is driving his feelings of desperation about Robin. That’s not to say he doesn’t have feelings for her (clearly he does) but deep down he knows she isn’t the one for him, he just can’t let go

45. gus says:

Rewatched the original narration with the kids clip from this story. Ted describes the story as “incredible”, and the kids look suitably bored. Not the way you would describe an ex-wife, not the response you would give if your mum was dead not around anymore. Just saying…. :D

46. Pat says:

I think the reason the whole 9th season is about the wedding is because Robin will not end up marrying Barney …but end up marrying Ted. However, that doesn’t explain why Ted’s kids call her aunt Robin in the future.

• gus says:

If you watch the pilot Ted says the mother is not Robin. Also when Ted tells them the girl he gets with was “aunt Robin” the kids are grossed out. Ted is not with Robin

• Kon says:

I had the same thought but then I couldn’t explain why the kids would call Robin aunt, so I guess Christin is the mother whether we like it or not.

47. Stavago says:

Robin and Barney have to meet her before Ted since she will be in their wedding band

48. Kon says:

I was quite disappointed when I saw the girl with the yellow umbrella because after all the hotties Ted dated he’s going to end up with her, a girl that can’t compete with Robin’s looks… It’s not like Ted is a stud, he is good-looking and the so called Mother is kind of cute, but I expected someone different for the part.

49. Anne says:

I agree with a lot of these comments. Hadn’t thought of it, but the Lily resemblance, yeah,
    questioning if the wedding actually even happens that weekend, still semi-expecting some unexpected twist, since if we already know this is the supposed mother (and she’s cute enough), how is the season going to remain interesting unless it’s building to some
    surprise finale?

50. Diane Sontag says:

Exactly, brutony! Ted has not yet met her! I am not convinced that Robin and Barney are actually going to get married. Even though Ted refers to them as Aunt Robin and Uncle Barney, this does not necessarily mean the wedding will actually happen. I think they both will get cold feet and go their separate ways, each marrying someone else. After all, in the beginning of Season 8, episode 1, Robin states, “I can’t go through with this wedding.” And Barney is shown climbing out the window…