Elementary Finale Recaplet: Love Hurts

Elementary Moriarty RevealedThe “M” mystery is solved!

Thursday’s Elementary finally unmasked Sherlock’s biggest foe, Moriarty, and, turns out, it’s his one and only love Irene Adler (guest star Natalie Dormer)!

How’s that for a twist?

RELATED | Elementary Season 2 Premiere Filming in London

Sherlock first catches on to her when he notices that one of her birthmarks is missing, but he suspects that she’s working for Moriarty, not that she is the Big Bad.

So why did she come after the consulting detective back in London? Because he interrupted several of her meticulously planned assassination plans. Her first instinct was to kill him discreetly, but then she became curious about Holmes’ mind. It was “something too beautiful and complicated to destroy.” Instead, she found a way to study him and became the American Irene Adler. (Moriarty, thankfully, lets Natalie Dormer keep her British accent.) She continued to let him live because she discovered that he was not the threat she imagined he was. When he spiraled into addiction following her “death,” he proved that he was inferior to her. Then she came to New York because she heard of his “miraculous recovery.” Irene admits all this to Sherlock, who counters that the real reason she’s here is because he’s getting close to another one of her plots.

RELATED | Fall TV Schedule 2013 — What’s On When? And Against What?

“I see games,” she replies. “You’re a game I’ll win every time.”

“I would never kill you,” she continues. “Not in a million years. You’re still a work of art. I appreciate art. What I will do is hurt you, worse than I did before. … So please, for your own good, let me win.”

So what’s the nature of her business in New York? She’s cooked up a scheme to start a major political kerfuffle between Macedonia and Greece that would keep the former out of the European Union and let her profit big time when the old currency skyrockets. Although Sherlock eventually figures it out, it’s too late. Three people die in the process, and Moriarty’s game takes its toll on the investigator.

Joan urges him to let her go. “It is the only way this does not eat you alive,” she pleads. “She was right. Let her win.”

Instead of heeding her warning, Sherlock steals some drugs and overdoses at home. In the hospital, Irene pays him a visit. “I didn’t want this. Not again,” she admits. “I want to help you.” In fact, she wants him to come to London with her. “You’re broken to pieces right now. I can put you back together. And once you’re whole, I can show you a different way to live.”

But it turns out Sherlock’s not the only person who can surprise Moriarty. Watson figured her out and realized the real reason she could never kill Holmes: They both made the mistake of falling in love and being stupid. Watson then encouraged her partner to make it look like Irene had won by faking an overdose and drawing her to the hospital, where the cops were waiting.

Case closed.

Elementary fans, hit the comments with your thoughts on the Moriarty twist and then grade the episode below.

1. kate says:

I was afraid this episode was going to disappoint, but it really, REALLY didn’t. great job.

2. Maryanna says:

WONDERFUL episode!

• Guess says:

Perfection!

• DarkDefender says:

Brilliant!

• davej13 says:

I initially read every Doyle story of Holmes as a teenager. I have always loved him. this show is fantastic and as great as tonight’s episode was, it left me heartbroken. Fyi, Holmes forms kind of a crush with Irene in the Doyle original, but they are never together. In the original, he is quite a chauvinist pig and she is the only woman he ever respects.

I am heartbroken that Irene is Moriarty in this version. the fact I am so hurt lets you know how great an episode this was.

thank you Elementary as well as the BBC version of this show for doing such a great job!

• prish says:

I wasn’t going to see the episode, being a Sherlock Holmes fan and liking the Irene Adler character. However, I got to thinking that so many of us have had loved ones taken in by charming and/or manipulative persons and led down dark paths, so I became curious to see how the writers, producers, directors, and actors dealt with it. Once I changed my mind set from aversion to the idea of I as M, and before I saw it, I realized that it was a brilliant piece of writing decision. With Irene in her original characterization of the books, the show would always had a goddess figure to deal with, being this is a weekly episode experience. I’ve watched part of it, so far, and kudos to the writers for keeping the show on track with the only substitution that would have worked, Irene to Moriarty. I like keeping my Irene Adler character from reading the stories, intact. My vision is not part of the show. She stays with me, memories of an 18-year-old summertime.

3. Mike R. says:

I loved Irene, I hope we see her again someday.

4. Mercedes says:

I love where they took Irene/Moriarty. This gave her a real agency that BBC Sherlock failed to do. And I love that, in the end, it was all about Joan. Great cap to a great first season. Excited to see where next year will go!

5. badpenny says:

I found this to be a very nice episode, and a good season send off. Only “The Woman” could break Holmes, and only “The New Woman” could mend him. :) I really like the friendships and trust between Holmes and Watson.
    I was expecting a cliffhanger, after I learned that they would be filming in London next season. I assumed they’d chase Moriarty to London and catch her there, so I was quite surprised when she was caught in NYC.
    I knew the overdose was a ruse, but I thought it would lead into the aforementioned cliffhanger. Holmes is always sneaky about faking sickness, death, and so on. Now I’m really looking forward to next season!

• Merissa says:

Agree completely!!!!!!!!!!!

• Alichat says:

Yeah, the close-up shot of the syringe with drugs still in it was a clue that he hadn’t overdosed. It was a great twist to have Irene and Moriarty be one in the same. But the best part was Watson figuring out Moriarty. Their friendship really is the best part of the show. I wasn’t quite sure how it would work in the beginning, but I love the subtle ways he expresses how important she is to him.

6. “Moriarty, and, turns out, it’s his one and only love Irene Adler (guest star Natalie Dormer)!” told you!

7. Mk says:

That was a great episode. I was planing on only watching the first part but once the revealed I couldn’t stop watching. I really like the relationship between Holmes and Watson

8. Tania says:

I’m looking forward to seeing Moriarty again. This nemesis is way too cunning and appears to have a very solid network.

The season finale was enjoyable to say the least. I didn’t see the BIG twist coming.

9. Jeff says:

Help me out here. Why would her birthmarks change? I must be missing something. It makes no sense to me.

• Dvd Avins says:

She had one birthmark removed surgically, as people do when they become dangerous. Had she been in captivity, Sherlock figured her captor would have let it remain dangerous, though I’m not sure that has to be so.

Sorry for the post below before I noticed the “Reply” option.

• suzi says:

Had she been held captive, there also would have been no visit to the dermatologist to recognize the danger.

10. Karen says:

Loved the ep. But I have a question. If Irene was “killed” just a few months after they met, then Holmes became addicted and then went to rehab, where did all the letters from Irene Adler come from?

• shuayb says:

Those letters were sherlock n irene’s correspondence prior to her ‘death’.
      I loved the plot that Moriarty is Irene but I don’t buy how a youngish girl can be the mastermind behind so many deaths anf ingenious plots… There has to be more that we uncover later on.

• ER says:

So, we can buy a 40-year-old man can be a super-detective (even though he has no training and was on drugs half the time), but a 31-year-old woman can’t be a manipulative leader? That’s sexism speaking, my friend.

• Crittle says:

Maybe ageism

• David says:

No it’s the fact that the most intelligent people on the planet are men. The further down the IQ scale and the further up we go, the more men there are.

Men also have slightly higher IQ by 5 points on average as confirmed by countless major studies, which is neither here nor there, but the important characteristic is the relative distributions, men’s IQs are more spread across the spectrum whereas women’s are more grouped around the middle. This makes evolutionary sense, the bigger the difference between men’s abilities the more easy it is for women to select the fittest mates, also the best of a diverse group of men is going to be much more intelligent than the best selected of a group of average men. Thus humanity’s intellectual evolution advances more rapidly.

To make a genius like Moriarty a woman goes against nature and is obviously globalist feminist social engineering, there is no other reason to make iconic male characters women.

This overt trend is all about the pseudo-empowerment of women and the subjugation of men. The banking Oligarchs that control the western governments and all major companies, the IMF, World bank, BIS etc are implementing a world government and as with all takeovers the biggest threats must be neutralised.

Men are the biggest threat to the new world order.
          Men are physically more dangerous, more likely to challenge authority (Men are more inclined to view totalitarian Government as an alpha male threat, women view it as a protector).

• Thank you so much for speaking my exact mind!!! I watch more television than I should and have been repulsed by the trend of casting traditional male roles with female actors (particularly law enforcement characters – UGH!). I understand that times have changed but I don’t think that the balance of power has shifted in the sexual realm, yet there continues to be a preponderance of female characters in every show I watch — even down to the mention of unseen characters like daughters, mothers, sisters — very few mothers on tv will ever have sons!!! The D.A., the Senator, the Judge — all are almost always women now, but you never see a woman wanting to get her hands on the role of garbage collector!!! I understand that women have come up in the world, but men still exist too. Perhaps we should start re-writing those wonderfully estrogenic Jane Austen tales to suit our male agenda.

11. Anonymous K says:

Awesome episode. Figured they were they same person early on but I was a little disappointed cause I liked the character of Irene Adler.

12. Dvd Avins says:

13. cookie says:

Moriarty is a genius,and she has a great mind. Never underestimate the true Love of a real woman,Watson. They both have been thru the fire, Sherlock and Watson. Their bond is raw,honest,challenging at times, but they both support each other thru all that is thrown at them. The bond runs deep. Love it.

14. alexjones says:

I knew it!
    it’s a shame she got arrested at the end, I hope this isn’t the last we’ve seen of her.

• DarkDefender says:

My money is on a clever escape or legal snafu that sends her packing from NYC and left for another day (sherlock deseves an arch nemesis!)

The London trip is just an excuse to do a location shoot… So Holmes can consult one more time with Scotland Yard.. Would love to see a cameo of Cumberbatch!

15. James says:

I know that I will get heat for this but I’m sorry I was very disappointed with how they went with this. look I love this show, JLM is a fantastic actor, and I actually love what they did with Watson, but in their insistence to stray from the cannon made it completely predictable, not that Natalie Dormer wasn’t fantastic because she was, but instead of doing the more emotionally charged and in the long run more dramatic thing and have these two lovers broken apart by Moriarty they took the easy way out and made the women the person that excites him intellectually and sexually into Moriarty because of course THE WOMEN and the only women he ever loved has to be his nemesis, and by doing so they not only throws out the Irene character but also takes a lot of the Joie de Vivre out of the characters and the story, and too me its just boring. the greatness of Sherlock Holmes is the puzzle of it, and too me their is no puzzle now it all fits neatly into place, their really never was a puzzle because it was so predictable. I’m sure I’m the only one that thinks this but too each their own i guess. i will of course watch season 2 but won’t be waiting on bated breath for it to arrive like I hoped.

• Rook says:

I wasn’t expecting much so it wasn’t disappointing to me, and the reasoning for faking Irene made sense (even though I’m shocked he couldn’t tell she was faking an american accent). I’m more surprised at the reveal and capture so soon.

• badpenny says:

While Elementary might be about Holmes, I think there’s enough room to expand the myth of the man. My personal feeling is that Elementary should dip into canon occasionally but that there’s plenty of room to invent new archfoes and take the stories into directions that ACD never dreamt about a century ago. Heck, we live in a real world of billionaire geniuses, despots, and serial killers. There’s plenty of room to create new nemeses. The next nemesis might even be Watson’s. :)

• badpenny says:

I wanted to add here that we also have that bright Lieutenant of Moriarty’s who sometimes acts like Moriarty to cover her identity. He could be the next great mastermind.

• Kisha from Houston says:

That’s a great idea…giving Watson her own nemesis! Now, Holmes needs to start dating and take his life off of pause mode. Irene/Moriarty are over for him and he should be able to move on by continuing his work and rebuilding relationships.

• badpenny says:

I hope to see both Holmes and Watson start dating some people next season. They both need a life and relationships outside of each other. Otherwise the show’s going to end up going in the “should the 2 leads date?” direction. And it’s not that I’m directly opposed to them dating, I just think between Bones and Castle we’ve had enough couple crime-fighters dating. :)

• James says:

no sherlock can never ever date. watson can but that what was so special and brilliant about sherlock. he admired only one lady, irene, he did not love her or lust for her he merely admired her as much as he ever could. sherlock was asexual it was all about the puzzle. if they wish to stray from canon so much then dont call it sherlock call it ‘brother of sherlock’ or ‘mycrofts twin’ or something.

• badpenny says:

James, I don’t think you’ve been watching the same Elementary that I have. He and Irene clearly had sex multiple times; and Holmes has frequented several hookers, as well as a couple of identical twins in the show. He has a lot of sex. This Sherlock is not a an asexual misogynist.
            You might be wanting a pure interpretation of ACD’s work, but they threw that out the window the moment they put it in NYC and had a female Asian Watson. :)

• Kelly says:

You need to stop thinking that the show is obligated to follow the books. They can make Irene whoever they want to. The show is NOT the books. Just accept that or stop watching.

• ViscountValmont says:

I’m totally with you. Sherlock Holmes has a certain duty to the canon, and they destroyed last night. I had been watching because they had been so faithful until now. I’m devastated. You people and “It doesn’t have to follow the book” garbage. I bet you prefer the movies to the book too. You’re heathens and you don’t deserve the work of Doyle. Screw this. She better be a brainwashed accomplice…

Reason for the quick reveal? I think so. Don’t get too comfortable. You’ll probably see a new Moriarty by next season.

• badpenny says:

They haven’t been overly faithful to canon until now. Holmes lives in NYC and frequents hookers. Watson is a female Asian. The two main characters are already unfaithful to canon.
        It’s odd you’re willing to overlook that but unwilling to overlook that Irene could be Moriarty. And it’s not as though that’s never been hinted at before in any of the other thousands of interpretations of Sherlock Homes that have been done in the various mediums over the last century.
        And wanting a little bit of originality doesn’t make us “heathens.” If I didn’t want some originality I wouldn’t even be watching Elementary. :)

• G says:

And you’re a stick-in-the-mud fuddy-duddy who cries like a baby, even though slavishly following the books would be utterly predictable. Apparently you don’t like having to actually think and consider that there are other story possibilities other than the ones that are spoon-fed to you. See, now, you hurled insults, and you have been insulted back. :) Have a GREAT day, bud!

(BTW, this show has been only sketchily “faithful” to book canon. The number of changes that have been made is staggering, so for you to whine that it has only just now “destroyed” canon is incredibly hilarious.)

• ONTD is my copilot says:

Other than a few character names and the odd reference. Elementary in no way follows the
        ACD stories. But yeah, what they did with Irene’s character was pretty ridiculous and anti-climatic, as you could see it coming a mile off.

• davej13 says:

In all fairness, if we stuck to the canon of how ACD wrote Holmes, every cop would be an idiot, Watson would be an almost useless wide-eyed sidekick, and Holmes would be a two eyed man in the land of the blind.

To me, the most important things about Holmes have been well captured in Elementary and the BBC drama. Holmes is a supercomputer mind, incredibly arrogant, and does the work for the work’s sake. Also, Watson is a someone that Holmes Enjoys having around. That was always in the original.

I like that they made Watson a more real and intelligent character who contributes.

• I would take your comments seriously if you would at least invest in a spell check!

• Troll says:

threw*
      woman*
      there*
      there*
      baited*

16. Mark says:

Am I the only one that doesn’t think Sherlock and Watson defeated Moriarty tonight? Spoilers…I think Irene was just one of Moriarty’s very intelligent followers. Now Moriarty knows how formidable Sherlock and Watson are together. Just a thought.

• Yeah I considered this possibility too….we’ll just have to wait and see what direction they go

• Sara says:

I think you should accept the fact that maybe the writers don’t want to make the characters exactly as they are in the books. They have no obligation to do so.

• Mark says:

I’m fine with that, Sara. I just think Moriarty was caught a little too easily. I really enjoyed the first season, though. :)

17. Davey Elmer says:

Haven’t seen the episode yet, but that’s the kind of twist I’d expect from a Joss Whedon show. Doherty’s stock just went up in my book.

Regarding whether or not we’ve seen the last of Irene/Moriarty, I wouldn’t bet on it; yes, she’s in jail, but just because a character’s in jail doesn’t mean they cease to be a threat.

18. ER says:

I had predicted that a)Irene was alive, b)Irene was Moriarty, c)Irene was in love with Sherlock so no real surprises, but really well executed!

19. Rick Katze says:

It was a very nice twist. And, while the police are there to arrest her, I don’t think they have a viable case. The witnesses to her crimes are dead. Sherlock may know the truth but that is not proof. Watson is not a viable witness. She has no evidence, only mostly comments from Sherlock.

• badpenny says:

I believe they stated in the episode that the police heard her confession to Holmes in the hospital room about the money scandal and deaths. They would also want her in the UK for faking her own death, and who knows what other crimes might go along with that.

• badpenny says:

I just watched the ending again. It’s stated that Holmes also taped their conversation in the hospital room as well.

20. Morisot says:

I was thinking “Bobby Goren’s Nicole Wallace.” (Law and Order: Criminal Intent)

• Stashia says:

Excellent thought! Another of my favorites. I was thinking that it would turn out that Irene had somehow betrayed Sherlock by being in cahoots with Moriarty, either before or after he met her, and, either by her own will or against her will, and break his heart. I was thinking if they left this up in the air, then she could appear again sometime in the future and we still wouldn’t know if she was trustworthy or not.

21. Eva Said says:

I’ve been reading spoilers from the beginning but have not seen the show on TV. I’m started to think that I should give it a try. I’ve been hesitant because I’ve been watching Sherlock instead.

But Irene being Moriarty that’s very interesting. I wouldn’t have seen it coming either.

Perhaps I shouldn’t be too bias?

• badpenny says:

It’s an enjoyable show that tweaks canon and tries to give make this Holmes seem more real rather then unearthly. The great deductive skills are still there, but this Holmes is more human and flawed. This Holmes isn’t a intellectual misogynist. He just has some of the arrogance that the overly intelligent sometimes convey. I find it to be a very modern and refreshing take on the character.
      I also love Sherlock, but Sherlock is far more traditional on how the Holmes/Watson relationship functions, and on Sherlock’s particular mentality.

• Eva Said says:

I’ve always been a fan of Sherlock, read the books and watched all movies, so when I see Sherlock a bit more (how should I say this) human, I become disinterested because I’m like, “This isn’t who Sherlock has been on the books!”

But I do agree with you! Sometimes a modern and refreshing take on a character that’s many years old isn’t always a bad thing.

Now I just need to watch Elementary with a nonjudgmental mind and let that determine if it’s my cup of tea. :)

• Jan1 says:

It’s a CBS procedural, but a good one. Keep your expectations low and you might really enjoy it.

22. BrianR says:

I deduced that she was Moriarty from the flashbacks and how quickly she recovered her senses from her captivity. She was quite fierce for several moments as opposed to being scared and beaten down by her captor. That was the tell.

23. Kisha from Houston says:

I can’t wait to watch these final two episodes! I hope I can watch them tonight on Amazon.com.

I’ve already read the spoilers so I’m glad that the Irene Adler episode arc is over. I didn’t want her to threaten the friendship building between Holmes and Watson. I hope Holmes now realizes that Watson is his dearest and most true friend. We don’t need any homewreckers…I was ready for Irene to be over with before she started!

Based on all the comments above, it looks like I have a couple of great episodes to look forward to!

I’ve watched pretty much every episode this season and I love this show. I just wish there was more of a fan presence online to discuss the episodes on a regular basis…somewhat like Scandal.

I also love the BBC Sherlock. Both shows are great in my opinion!

• badpenny says:

If it’s not on amazon.com you can watch it on http://www.cbs.com/shows/elementary/ :)
      Since Elementary isn’t as angst-driven as Scandal or Grey’s it tends to have less discussion. People seem to love the “who’s sleeping with/cheating on/angry at who” angst more then just clear crime dramas. :)

24. jennfer says:

I had a feeling Irene was Moriarty but I loved the reveal never the less! I’ve loved Natalie Dormer since her role as Anne Boleyn on The Tudors and she definitely did not disappoint here. I’d love to see more of her next season.
    Kudos to Joan for helping to take her down! I do wish he and Irene’s romance had been real. I’d always liked their connection. But it helped to know that she had fallen in love with him too.

25. NotBri says:

Loved it. Joan Watson is no mascot. She was truly the “Heroine” of this story… and who else can say they have a bee named after them? As always, JLM was riveting. He and Natalie Dormer had that crazy electric scene together in the safehouse, and I absolutely couldn’t look away when he and Lucy Liu were arguing at the police station. Brilliant acting from all three of them.

26. Saman Q says:

I think she isnt moriaty remember that scene when irene was talking to that greek guy she told him that she had a bit of help means help from moriaty whom is a consulting criminal !! :D im sure we will see real moriaty next season however it was a great final i almost fell in love with irene :)

• badpenny says:

Irene/Moriarty has a huge network of operatives. What she was referring to was her underlings.
      I do think we’ll see the underling who pretends to be her, to hide that she’s female, trying to take over her operation next year and become the “new” Moriarty. Then we’ll have some type of 3-way conflict between Irene, the new Moriarty, and Sherlock/Watson in the middle of it all. :)

27. I Googled ‘Elementary’ because I wanted to see if the new episode came out. I ended up seeing this page, as it was the third result for the search query of Elementary.
    You essentially spoiled the entire episode for me in 5 words. Thank you. Thank you so much for ruining one of the only shows I enjoy. I appreciate it.

• badpenny says:

I Googled Elementary and TVLine didn’t even come up on the first page. The first 5 entries were: CBS, Wikipedia, IMDB, TV Guide, and TV.com.

• Lauren says:

Yeah, something is fishy here. I just googled “Elementary” “Elementary Episodes” and “Elementary Episode Guide” and this story was no where to be seen.

• Jan1 says:

Why not go to cbs.com? Why do a search? You know where it is.

• Sally Cat says:

Ever since I got a DVR, I really don’t necessarily know what shows are on what network anymore. Why would you assume that someone would know? Also, most of the time the information I want when I look up a show isn’t on the network website, anyway. It’s really the last place I look.

28. Alex says:

The only thing that bugged me was the map … it was not correct. In what world is Macedonia larger than Bulgaria ? Hell, it almost reached the Black Sea on the map ! And to be fair, there was no Bulgaria at all. I am upset. :D

• Uwe says:

If I remember rightly the map Sherlock showed to Watson was a map of ancient Greece post Alexander the Great. Indeed Macedonia would have been of formidable size and Bulgaria didn’t exist then.

• The map was indeed wrong but it was done so it F.Y.R.O.M. would be visible to the audience I assume. If it had been a map of ancient Greece, there would be no F.Y.R.O.M. (the country and name were created much much later, hence the whole problem with Greece).

• Jacob says:

Well, the most broken thing about that portion of the story is the main plot. They mean to tell me that if a country joined the European Union that all of its citizens would immediately lose their life savings over night? There would be a currency conversion based on the current exchange rate at the moment the country joined the EU and that’s how the old currency would go away. There would be no money to gain or lose.

I wasn’t really too annoyed by it, though. I’m a guy who enjoys sci-fi shows and movies with light sabers, hehe.

The important thing about this show isn’t that they make every plot detail realistic. The important thing is that they tell and entertaining story and have good acting. Elementary gets an A grade from me on both accounts. I’m definitely in for season 2.

• Alyssa says:

Currency prices fluctuate due to supply and demand. The currency would have a low demand because it was expected to be phased out, but Moriarty bought it up so that when Macedonia couldn’t join the EU, demand for the currency would go up again, which would raise its value.

• PJ says:

You are wrong, this is a plot error. if a country were expected to join the EU, it’s former currency would have an exchange rate against the EU upon entry and would be in no danger of losing value upon joining the EU. if suddenly it didn’t join the EU as expected, and therefore wasn’t going to have the benefits of being in the EU (lower trade barriers, lower borrowing cost, no currency exchange risk within the EU), the value of the legacy currency would PLUMMET on the news. The economically correct plot construction would be for Moriarity to have shorted the Macedonian denar. Then she could have credibly made a billion dollars overnight on the news of the assasination.

The episode was still great…

• Dani says:

Not all EU countries use the Euro. It usually takes up to 10 years to phase the original currency out, if the country wishes it. The UK and Sweden for example do not want to use the Euro so they don’t. The Czech Republic, Romania, etc are on the list to switch to Euro somewhere in the future.

It all takes decades. Not months, not days, not hours. This was a very very weak plot point.

• Beijing Bill says:

The Macedonian currency has been pegged to the Euro since 2002 (i.e. the Central Bank keeps its rate to the Euro fixed, or very close to fixed.) This plot line made zero real world sense. Bad writing.

29. Jim says:

I hope they stick with Irene as Moriarty, but I have to wonder, also, if this was just too easy. Is this going to be like The Following…….. all whole lot of different people who could be M and maybe even claim to be M, but are not M? Regardless, I was doubtful about this show being a huge fan of the Cumberbatch version (still my favorite), however, I’ve come to really enjoy Elementary as well and appreciate the variations in the story. I like that it doesn’t stick to the books. Makes it much more interesting. Will definitely watch next season. …….. thinking: yeah, this was a little too easy (and yes, she’s definitely escaping right away… if she is M, no way they could keep her in prison).

30. Kindapissed says:

Googling “Elementary Irene Adler” and what do I see in the search results?

‘Elementary': Moriarty Is Irene Adler — Season 1 Finale Recap …

Thanks. Hadn’t seen the finale yet.

What the f-word? Please do NOT put that kind of spoilers in your titles.
    I didn’t search for Elementary finale recap or anything like that.
    This is bad TV journalism and a beginner’s mistake.

Please keep this in mind for any future writings you might undertake.

• SoMichigan Avenue says:

Do not worry, she really is not M – enjoy the episode. Regardless, she wont be in jail too long and the ruse will be revealed. First ep next season in London

• suzi says:

Why are you Googling something you don’t want to know?

• Jan1 says:

Good question. Why not go to cbs.com and watch the episode?

• Sally Cat says:

Why do you assume someone knows what network a show is on – especially for shows in their first season? The easiest way to find a show is to google search the title. There is no excuse for posting spoilers in the google search results. All it is takes to be spoiled in this place is a title search – no one is looking up anything they don’t want to know.

31. jerry samson says:

i would like to know the part that his never present father plays in the next string of events.

32. Eric says:

Hey stupid. Thanks for spoiling the finale for me. How bout use some common sense and discretion. When I googled elementary, the first news result in big bold letters is the huge reveal. You truly do suck. Next time be a little more discrete, maybe even include “spoilers inside”. That’s like revealing the end of “the 6th sense” to the world a day after it comes out you Dumbass!

• ginnyb says:

Why would you google Elementary or go to any internet sites before seeing the episode. Didn’t you think you might see some spoilers?

• Eric says:

No I didn’t. I can google any show or movie with zero worries of this happening. It takes a reallllly stupid asshole to make something like this happen. I didn’t even click anything, she put it as the headline. This is the first and only time this has ever happened to me

• Liam says:

I completely agree – all I did was type in the word “Elementary” to look something up about the show and see this on the first page of google. Very bad journalism and unprofessional.

• M says:

But why Google it at all, then? If you’re concerned about not revealing spoilers, avoid anything about the show…including Internet searches that might likely produce results that contain them. A show that has already aired is fair game for conversation, be it on the Internet or elsewhere. When does the statute of limitations expire for when something can be “safely” discussed? I haven’t seen all of the older episodes of “The Sopranos” yet – but I don’t think I need to be shielded from spoilers by people who have seen them.

• Sally Cat says:

The difference is that if you Google search “The Sopranos,” you won’t find any spoilers in the search results.

33. LEP says:

I thought as Irene she was terrible – just gloomy (both before “kidnapping” and after), and I didn’t think they had any special chemistry. Actually was thinking she was a terrible actress. But as Moriarty, she came alive, and then I bought their interaction. Am I the only one who thought this?? Was glad Watson saw through things. She’s coming into her own.

34. Eric says:

Ugh I’m watching the episode now and its just making my blood boil that this idiot spoiled it. I’m just looking at her fat stupid face and its enraging me. Go over eat some more you fat bitch

• badpenny says:

Dude, really, get over it. We live in a cyber age. If you don’t want to know the outcome of something don’t go looking for it on the internet. It’s really just that simple. Your life isn’t ruined because you found out Irene is Moriarty. It wasn’t that big of a secret. People have been speculating about it on many sites and twitter since we learned her body was never found in episode 12.

• Sally Cat says:

All someone has to do is simply Google search “Elementary” and the title of this page is right at the top! People should be able to opt of of spoilers and this author gives them no choice. It’s horrible!

• Eric says:

Dude stop defending this pig. What does the fact that “we live in a cyber age” mean? Yeah I know we do, I’m 27, I’ve been using the Internet since I was like 10 years old. I know the Internet like the back of my hand and never once has something this blatantly douchey happened to me. Stop defending her, she’s either an inconsiderate bitch or the dumbest person on earth. Or just sub consciously so pathetic that she couldn’t wait to break this news that she foolishly did this. Either way she’s in the wrong and you defending her makes you suck. She ruined the finale of my favorite network show for me and probably many others. I’m not gonna waste the time to research this, but I bet I can google “the 6th sense” or “fight club” over 10 years after they came out and people STILL are smart enough not to do this

• badpenny says:

I’m not defending the act. They shouldn’t put out spoilers. I’m simply saying that we all get disappointed at things in life. We need to deal with those disappointments maturely. You say your 27 but you’re coming off like a nerd raged teenager. You don’t need to call someone a “bitch,” “pig,” etc simply because you’re disappointed by a spoiler. That’s not how adults should act.
          Is that the way you’d want your children to see you acting? You want your daughter to come to this site some day and say: “look what my date wrote about a woman many years ago?”

35. Ruby says:

Incredibly inconsiderate to have the huge spoiler in the TITLE! Wow. I don’t know anyone who has, or would, do that.

36. Crystal says:

I’ve read interviews about this show that stated that they wanted to touch on the Moriarty angle but they wanted it wrapped up first season and didn’t want to mention it again. So I think that the story lines are open if they need them, but as long as the show holds the numbers, it seems it’s not the direction they want to go. I personally love the fresh angle. I look forward to season 2! In fact, my husband thought this was season 2 already! That’s how great this show is. Where most shows require the first season for the actors to build chemistry and clout, this show came out of the box that way!

37. Kate says:

I adored the episode and was truly hooked at every second. Jonny Lee Miller and Natalie Dormer were fantastic. EVERY scene from their beautiful, witty flashbacks to this painful and emotional present day scenes.
    Only thing is by making Irene Moriarty it takes away from the Woman, the love that these two shared, it taints their memory because of the lies.
    Yes, it was an interesting twist, but would I have preferred Moriarty to be an actual person, not Irene, and not even have her working for him. YES!

I really hope Natalie Dormer returns to Elementary because after seeing her amazing performance as Irene, I’d feel a little empty without her.

Did I mention Jonny and Natalie have crazy amazing chemistry?

38. Sally Cat says:

CHANGE THE TITLE OF THIS PAGE, PLEASE!! In a Google search of “Elementary” it says, “MORIARTY IS IRENE ADLER” right there at the top of the search results with a link to this page! How could you perpetrate spoiler of this magnitude in such a way that people have absolutely no opportunity to avoid it?? This is horrible. SHAME ON YOU!

• Jan1 says:

Why on earth would you google search this?

• Sally Cat says:

I Google searched “Elementary.” That’s all it took to get the most egregious spoiler I’ve ever seen. One should be able to google the name of a show without being automatically spoiled.

39. emylye says:

Does anyone else, who has seen the 1987 movie “Black Widow” with Theresa Russell and Debra Winger, think that Natalie Dormer was instructed to model her acting on Theresa Russell’s character in that movie? I saw so many instances where her look, intonation, or gesture was identical to Russell’s during key scenes in that movie. I have to think either the creator, the director, or Dormer herself watched the movie and planned that. She also looks stunningly like Theresa Russell, but that’s just coincidence (although even her many hair styles were similar). Could she have been cast partly for the resemblance? The chemistry between Sherlock and Irene/Moriarty was also strongly reminiscent of Russell/Winger: the cat-and-mouse game with a huge dollop of sexual attraction getting in the way.

• Kathryn says:

Wow. You’re right..she does look like Theresa Russell! There was something about her that I couldn’t put my fingers on and I think that’s what it is…especially her hair and eyes. She has similar facial expressions too. I loved Black Widow…great movie!

• Terry says:

I just saw Season 2 Episode 4 of Fringe, in which Theresa Russell appeared. I kept thinking how much she reminded me of Natalie Dormer.

40. Rob White says:

I didn’t like the whole Irene as Moriarty thing. First Irene (I’m perfectly fine with M as a woman by the way) is too young. How could she have built the whole Moriarty empire of info, contacts and resources at such a young age.
    Secondly, its too convenient that in the whole world Holmes meets and falls in love with Moriarty.
    Third, Moriarty is supposed to be the master mind of master minds and Irene makes several mistakes in the episode, not the least of which is being tricked and arrested.

I’m personally hoping that Irene is a brainwashed victim. I think they left several clues to that. The guy that bought the paint was a expert at psychological attacks.
    They have mentioned that Moriarty doesn’t make mistakes, yet Irene exposes herself very unnecessarily in the episodic (Why would M meet the Narwhal face to face for example, great risk there that the Narwhal may just turn the gun on M)
    Third, the whole lesson of the previous episode was how mistakes can be made in identity and to not let emotion cloud judgement (the guy who owned the security firm shooting the wrong person)
    All we know is that Moriarty is most likely a woman (M was referred to as a she), but that does not mean Irene is “her”. I personally hoped the Moriarty would be more mysterious and formidable.

• badpenny says:

Point 1: Bill Gates started Microsoft at 20 and was a billionaire before the age of 23, controlling most of the computerized world. Age has little bearing on ability. With her intellect Irene could have been one of those people who graduated college at 13 and has spent the last 20 years building her empire.
      Point 2: Their meeting wasn’t convenient. Holmes was messing with her plans so she adopted the Irene persona and worked it so that she’d have to meet him. She planned on killing him, but fell in love with the only mind that could rival hers.
      Point 3: Masterminds do make mistakes, especially when they’re in love with their victims. It’s the premise for many pieces of literature and is well within the genre. Holmes’ love sent him into addiction. Irene’s love sent her to jail.
      As for why Irene met the Narwhal, it’s because part of the deal was that he needed to be killed. Thus it didn’t matter if she saw her or not, he was a dead man either way.

41. Kimberly s Moore Prescott says:

…now lets write in a new twist for next season. Lets put Irene in jail and have everything be chill for awhile before Holmes gets a surprising case that looks suspiciously like Moriarty again, even though Irene is in jail. The story could keep going and going with a constant wondering as to whether Irene is running things as Moriarty from jail or whether she never really was Moriaty and yet just one of his evil pawns all along. How’s that?

• badpenny says:

Irene mentions her lieutenant who poses as her sometimes when she wants people to think Moriarty is a man. I think he’ll try and take over the organization. That will probably lead to Holmes needing information from Irene to get the new Moriarty. And that will probably lead to her escape as well.
      Personally I hope they don’t touch on it too much. Moriarty was a huge thorn in Holmes’ side, but it’s not like he was the center of every Holmes story. I’d much rather the show follow it’s own path and only occasionally touch on canon points. That way it stays fresh.

42. kat says:

I have a problem with this story, I don’t see how Macedonia could switch it’s currency so quickly. Even if it does meet the requirements to join the European Union, it does not automatically make it ready to join the Eurozone. Say that the referendum passes for the euro, there are specific requirements to join the euro and it just seems impossible for Macedonia to join the currency from a passing of a referendum. There will for sure be a transition point of the currency, however it will take awhile before Macedonia can fully adopt the euro. Poland for example is apart of the EU but it has yet to join the eurozone. Poland is in a pretty good position compared to a lot of the states that want to join the EU. It is one of the major players in the EU, and even if the people of Poland want to or not in joining the euro, it still doesn’t meet the requirements to join it.

• Art says:

Good point. As far as I know, joining the EU does not mean joining the Euro. You have to join the european monatary union for that and to join the EMU you’d have to pass a string of requirements.

43. Jan1 says:

I haven’t read all the way through the comments but a lot of people are whining about spoilers. I wasn’t able to watch the night the episode aired and I managed to stay spoiler-free. It takes a little effort. A very small amount of effort. I don’t expect a website to not discuss a show until I happen to get around to seeing it. If you don’t want to be spoiled, that’s pretty easy to accomplish. I hate spoilers and I’m pretty good at avoiding them. It’s just not that tricky.

• Sally Cat says:

In this case, you can’t even look up the show on Google without being spoiled. All it takes is one search on the word “Elementary” and the ending is revealed right at the top of the page without clicking on anything else. Let’s compare this with The Sopranos, shall we? If I google search the name of the show, I can see that there is some controversy about the ending, but none of the search results specifically say what the ending was – which is still a click away. Do you see the difference?

44. Neal says:

She is not M.
    its a twist

45. Neal says:

She is posing as M to keep Holmes safe.
    Holmes can’t be without a nemesis. She has been acting as an agent for M to keep Holmes safe. She was inserted into this time frame to be an elaborate distraction for Holmes.

46. Sonny says:

I don’t think Arthur Conan Doyle intended for moriarty to shag Sherlock

47. Annoyed says:

I agree with everyone above: it inconsiderate to put a spoiler in the title of article. I would hope this was a mistake, but you seem to be getting lots of hits, so I imagine you knew exactly what you were doing.

48. Mr g says:

Disappointed this site comes up to give the season ending away in the reaults when I search google. You got more traffic, now you’re instantly going to be hidden from my search results

Good job you arsepiece.

49. Just finished the Season Finale! I CAN’T believe Irene Adler is Moriarty. I totally thought Moriarty was a guy that Irene was working for…and then she comes in shooting that guy dead and Sherlock was like, ‘Moriarty?’ And I was like, ‘WHAT?!’

50. Leo McCarthy says:

Hats off to the producers, writers, cast and crew. I’m an old timey Sherlock Holmes fan. When I first started watching the show I wasn’t sure how a female Watson would go over, although I love Lucy Liu and when Holmes named the new species of Bee after Watson in the season finale it was the consummation of the perfect friendship.

Casting Natalie Dormer as Moriarty was the best “against type casting” ever. Irene/Moriarty is without question, “the beautiful side of evil.” Who couldn’t love this character? I was glad Holmes and Watson outsmarted Moriarty…after all, evil cannot prevail, but it’s sure fun to watch it “strut and fret its hour upon the stage,” especially when it’s drop dead gorgeous.

I can hardly wait until next season. My summer reading will include all the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ‘great old stuff.’ The new Holmes/Watson is pure joy, and to truly appreciate it, it is helpful to review its origins.