'Tricky' Wonder Woman Pilot Still In Development at The CW; No Third Chance for The Selection

wonderwomanAn Amazon story may still surface on The CW, as the network’s “origin story” series about Wonder Woman is being redeveloped.

RELATED | The CW’s Fall Schedule Shake-Up: Supernatural, Hart of Dixie and Two Others Shift to New Timeslots, Nikita’s Final Season Delayed

Speaking with reporters on Thursday after unveiling The CW’s 2013-14 line-up — which includes the new dramas The Originals, The Tomorrow People, Star Crossed, The 100 and Reign — network boss Mark Pedowitz said, “Oh god, yes,” when asked if the superheroine series is still in play.

“It is being redeveloped,” Pedowitz said, “and we’re waiting for the script to come in” — from new scribe Aron Eli Coleite (Heroes), The Hollywood Reporter reports. “We do not want to produce something that doesn’t work for that character. It is the trickiest of DC [Comics] characters to get done,” he stressed.

VIDEO | Fall Preview: Watch Clips from The Tomorrow People, Reign, The 100 and Other New CW Series

The CW’s series adaptation of the book series The Selection, however, is “unlikely” to be re-revisited after two failed attempts. Asked where the successive pilots fell short, Pedowitz told TVLine, “We were looking to capture that dystopia that appeals to young adult fiction, and there is a built-in audience for that…. The first time we definitely didn’t get it; this time, they came pretty close,” but not enough to make the network’s short list.

1. Spigner says:

ummm… yes please! That would be awesome! And The Selection didn’t really sound like it was going to be awesome anyway. I’d rather a more Hunger Games-type. I love the idea of young people duking it out for the title of sole survivor..all in the name of entertainment. Hello Rome for the 21st Century!

• Maris says:

I think if they wanted to go with a dystopian theme they could’ve bought Delirium from Fox since they didn’t want it

• Lauren says:

I’m surprised they didn’t actually. Although the pilot sounds like it was awful, which is a shame because I love everyone they cast.

2. With Nikita out the door, they’re definitely going to want a show with a leading woman. And no, HoD and BatB do not count under this genre.

3. James says:

I hope they put The Selection pilot up somewhere. Love the books and was so excited about it being developed into a TV series!

4. Nerdbot says:

Yeah, because the last action show with a woman as the title character worked so good for The CW. Don’t get me wrong, I love Nikita, but I don’t think it’s such a good idea to develop a new action series with a female protagonist unless they decide from the beginning that it will be less action and more romance. I think some of the reasons why Nikita don’t perform well on that network are, first, because it’s different from anything else there and the story is more violent and darker than what The CW’s target audience can handle, and, second, because the main character is not a man; it seems that CW’s audience prefer watching muscular model-like guys saving the day than a strong woman doing the same.

• Shan says:

Although I am not a fan of Nikita, I am a fan of the strong women protagonist who can handle their own and mix everything else well into the stories. The action with Nikita is great the problem is instead of making it their own and targeting a wide range of audience with various characters they just made the show too similar to what what USA Network did with Le Femme Nikita (which was less action and more character developed, but still the action was better than the CW version). Nikita on the CW is geared towards teens especially with the love triangles and would work fine on any other show, but this show is about the character Nikita and her revenge, but do not really see it played out. Watch Le Femme Nikita from the 90s and Nikita today on the CW and there is a vast difference. The leading actress on Nikita just does not do it for me. VM, GG, Buffy, Charmed, all strong female leads. SPN is probably more violent in its content and way darker.
      Unfortunately, it does not have a good pairing on the network.

• Naazneen says:

My issues with Nikita had nothing to do with a strong female lead. I was a massive fan of the original Le Femme Nikita and even with the lovely Maggie Q and Shane West, it just didnt cut it. LFN was strongly driven by characters and Peta Wilson and Roy duPuis had ridiculous chemistry. Michael’s character was also slightly more ambivalent than Shane West’s.

• SPN Fan says:

Agreed. Peta Wilson nailed the character. The chemistry was great. That is why I could not get into Nikita b/c I kept comparing too much to LFN and getting frustrated.

5. John says:

No! I want them to make a big-budget summer tentpole along the lines of The Dark Knight, in terms of gravitas, for Wonder Woman!!

6. Greg says:

The CW is becoming the Syfy channel with better shows and prettier people

7. Roger says:

CW is no WB. Nikita is the ONE show where you have a 3 dimensional woman as a Lead title character. CW women are all damsels in distress and nothing more. They don’t even begin to compare to the character of Nikita.

The Character of Nikita goes through so many different emotions in 1 episode than the rest of CW’s women do in an entire season.

This show is not hard to make, what IS hard is that CW itself is NOT a network for Emotionally and physically strong women.

8. I just do not see how this Amazon concept will work as a long form TV series. Nobody cares about a teenage Wonder Woman who isn’t Wonder Woman yet. Smallville worked because there’s always been Superboy stories. There is no “young Wonder Woman” stories because her story began when she LEFT the island.

• I think the concept works best with a teenage Diana. That’s one of the many things Perez did right. If Wonder Woman is a 30 year old woman, Hyppolyta’s concerns about her daughter leaving Paradise Island become pathetic.

Question is, can they get Cloris Leachman to reprise her role as Hyppolyta? lol

• Yeah, I agree, that’s why this is a silly idea. How long could this show go with 24-ish episodes for year after year with Diana only being on the island? There’s only so much story on the island and you can’t let Diana end up 30 years old and still on the island. She needs to be able to leave.

Smallville dragged it on too long, but they also were able to have Clark start being a superhero even though he wasn’t Superman yet. With this show being confined to not being able to use Wonder Woman and keeping Diana on the island, it’d be too constrictive.

• Oh, I’m sure that a teen Diana show would start with her arrival in patriarch’s world. everything to do with the island could be handled in flashbacks. the Perez reboot is a great road map for what to do and how to do it.

• BTW, there are young Wonder Woman stories (or rather young Diana on Paradise Island stories), they just suck, as must Silver Age stories do, heh.

9. It’s really not that hard. Just follow the Perez reboot. It can get complicated if you try to emulate the original version, with the S&M and all that crap. Don’t. Think epic. Think mythology. Think island full of lonely, attractive women… er…um…what was I saying?

10. Azerty says:

I don’t know how I feel about Amazon…as much as I love DC animated and live series, the CW always had problem with FX budget. That cost a lot to Smallville in the past (season 8’s fight against Doomsday should ring a bell) and setting Arrow on a universe where there is no superpowers (for now?) was a very good move. I know FX don’t always make a show successful but for superheroes stuff that’s pretty important.

11. Ritch says:

Stop trying to make Wonder Woman TV Series happen! It’s not going to happen!

12. Meems says:

Whatever you do, don’t hire Phoebe Tonkin. Or, don’t hire a foreign actor, who can’t mimic a proper American accent

13. Brandy says:

I hope this happens.

14. Judy says:

Ugh! No to Amazon. Kill it with fire!

15. Faith says:

YES PLEASE! I admire the dedication and the perseverance. I’m glad they’re pursuing a worthy script rather than throwing whatever they could out there and hope it sticks. Wonder Woman is an enduring and special story so I will continue to dream of the fates aligning for it.

16. Tom hazel says:

I agree I would love to see a Womder Woman series. I have no question the casting will have pretty people. My biggest concern is the writing. CW has never impressed me with their writing. This is one reason man lost interest in Smallville. We just kept hoping for him to be a hero but it never really happened. Maybe due to FX budget. Wonder Woman has always been a role model for strong woman. It will have to have woman supporting each other, show her compassion, defender of those who are suppressed – all while portraying her as a strong woman. If they ever write something that fans feel is “not Wonder Woman” they will lose those fans from watching further. I’m excited about a series while at the same time scared they will make a mess of it. Look at Arrow – Green Arrow he is not – heck he’s not even blonde and where is the love of his life – Black Canary.

• POIFanatic says:

Smallville, while fine at times wasn’t the best of the CW shows. Supernatural had everything during its five seasons – acting, writing, effects, concept, everything. Its a shame that show hasn’t won an Emmy.

• SPN Fan says:

And SPN is still on the air and still doing great. What a bummer it never seems to at least get nominated esp. for writing, cinematography etc..

17. mia says:

I’m glad to see they are still dedicated to a WW show. It needs to be more Beauty and the Beast and less Emily Owens. Diana needs to be confident and bold and brave. I didn’t like the contemporary high school setting the recent version they were hoping to do was.

18. Naazneen says:

Gwendoline Taylor for WW!

19. Mikael says:

They should stick to mythology and maybe pull an Arrow where they flashback to the island. Get the costume right, too. Don’t pull a Smallville and drag it out for 10 years only to show a brief CGI shot of her in the costume. Minor gripe about Arrow too: why call the show Arrow when they refuse to call him that within the show? They should’ve called the show “The Hood” or “The Vigilante” since that’s how they refer to him. What’s wrong with calling him “Green Arrow” or just “Arrow?” I’m sure Amazon will make the mistake of never saying Wonder Woman.

• Tony says:

I hope they don’t screw it up, if it gets off the ground which I hope it does. Bit I do agree with you on Artow it’s a good show but for all us older comic book people whom know the true story, it would be nice to keep these shows how we have read & grew up on..Thanks