Jay Ryan Previews Beauty and the Beast's 'Heartbreaking' Finale, Teases 'Big OMG Moment'

BEauty and the Beast Season 1 Finale PreviewAmong the many reasons Jay Ryan is thankful that The CW’s Beauty and the Beast earned a Season 2 pickup, a major one is that fans would be besides themselves come 9:55 pm Thursday — “hanged by the nails” is the way he puts it — given how the finale ends. Here, the actor reflects on the evolution of the Beast, talks us through the shooting of that scene, and teases the finale’s beast-on-beast action and “heartbreaking” aftermath.

RELATED | May Sweeps/Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Beauty and the Beast, The Vampire Diaries and More of Your Favorite Series’ Endgames

TVLINE | Beauty and the Beast admittedly stumbled a bit in the beginning. But as it found its legs, the show developed a great social media presence, an incredibly passionate fan base and now you have a Season 2 order. What was it like for you and Kristin Kreuk, weathering that rough patch at the beginning?
It was really hard, because Kristin and I had a really strong vision of what we expected the show to be when we signed on, and maybe it wasn’t quite in line with what a lot of the other creatives on the show were thinking as well. It took some time for everyone’s vision to merge into making it the strongest it could be. There was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing at the start, to get everyone comfortable with what they were putting into the show in terms of character, story and everything else. But that was kind of an exciting time, because we did have the pressure of the feedback from audience and critics. With that, we sort of put our backpacks on and went to work.

TVLINE | One early fix was to dial down the procedural aspects and delve more into the overall mythology. But did they also fast-track the romance, to get the audience buzzing more?
Kristin and I always saw the procedural element as a “merge” that connected Vincent and Catherine by finding something that they’re good at, where they can solve problems together. But the problems or the crime always needed to be connected to them or someone in their relationships to make more weighted and raise the stakes. So it was good that that sort of ironed out. [As for the romance] we and our writers were in agreement that we didn’t want this “Are they/Aren’t they?” right through the first [season]. Everyone loves the heart of the story of Beauty and the Beast, no matter what setting or timeframe, and we always know those characters are going to be together. And because we did have such a huge social media voice out there from the fans and they were really egging for it, it was like, “Well, we want to give it to them in due time.” The characters are much stronger in a relationship together than tiptoeing around each other. As a team, it’s more dynamic. BeautyBeast_0221_kissAnd we can make it more steamy on screen, too.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled?

TVLINE | We had Connie Britton in our office a couple weeks ago, and she talked about how incredibly choreographed a recent and important Nashville love scene was, how several people had a say in it about what to do, “more of this,” “less of that”…. You and Kristin sold the hell out of Vincent and Catherine’s first “I love you” and what came after. Was that sequence similarly well-discussed?
First, thank you for saying that. Kristin and I seem to click really well in those emotional relationship scenes, and I guess our instincts are right in line with what the showrunners are after. But a lot of our stuff, because we’re on night shoots — that particular scene came at the end of a 16-hour day, at about 9 am — so we’ve got to shoot fast, and there’s not a lot of time for producers to come in and say, “Let’s go more with this.” They really rely on the director and us as the actors to get it right on the first go. We were given the range and the freedom to make those moments work, and the moments preceding it the producers loved, so they let us go for it.

TVLINE | Speaking of choreography, tell me about this monster fight coming up on the finale. Sendhil Ramamurthy said it’s off the charts.
It is. We really sort of threw the budget and everything at it. Rick Bota, who is our producer/director, did the finale and he’s really a “monster man,” so he’s been pushing to highlight the differences between these two beasts. So, there’s a 10-minute finale [sequence] that is huge. It’s sort of “beast on beast” and he reallyNever Turn Back highlights all those physical traits and the different strengths between Sendhil’s character and my character through this choreography of this fight.

TVLINE | Is it a case of Gabe getting the drop on you?
Vincent’s been taking Gabe’s medication, to subside this beast within him, so at the time that this fight starts, Vincent’s beast qualities are really, really mild.

TVLINE | Yikes. Bad timing, man.
Definitely. [Laughs] It’s really bad timing, and it really makes Vincent realize how much of this beast character is a part of him now and how much he needs it with the world that he lives in.

TVLINE | How would you describe the closing moments of the finale? What kind of emotions will people be going through?
It’s pretty heartbreaking, and I could see how if we didn’t get another season that the audience would be sort of hanged by the nails and with one or two tears dropping. It’s lucky that we got another season so we can carry on where we leave off, but it’s still pretty heartbreaking. Also, in the final 30 seconds, we discover a new character who is very close to one of our lead characters — and that is a big OMG moment as well.

Want more scoop on Beauty and the Beast, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. mia says:

Eeee so excited!!!! Love this show so much!!!! And while I enjoyed the proceedural element to the start of the series, I LOVE what they are doing now.

• Anita says:

Agreed! Other than the torturous tip-toeing around their romance and a few bothersome outsiders getting in the way (*cough*Alex*), I never understood why ppl were so quick to write #BatB off! #OriginalBeastie (4m Scene 1/Pilot)

• mia says:

same! I was sold in the first 20 minutes…and I didn’t even want to watch the show at first. I just tuned in just cause, but BAM 20 minutes in I knew I was sold. It was full blown obsession within 3 episodes. #OriginalBeasties for the win!
        The slow burn of their romance was excruciating, but in a good way too. I liked how it took them a while to fall in love. I liked watching them fall in love; talking to each other, getting to know each other. And then their coming together felt right. ….but Alex was really painful.

2. I sort of like the show, but I’m still disappointed that it doesn’t focus on the grown up baby from the original.

• MaryAnn says:

This version is a reboot rather than a sequel, so that couldn’t happen.

• I know. It still could have been. It would have merely required a change in the mythology, he could be like patient zero who the military experimented on and used his DNA to turn other soldiers into manimals, and mirfield could be an offshot of the company that kidnapped his mom.

3. Anita says:

AAAAAHHHH!! I’m LOVING THIS! GREAT INTERVIEW! Awesome Questions, very Jay-like Answers! I could almost HEAR his accent in them! :) Thanks for diving in with #BatB fans for this one & thanks for being such a good sport & playing along @JayRyan. .. btw, he’s RIGHT! They do make it more steamy on-screen (no direction needed there!) & #Beasties LOVE every second of footage they give us!

4. Juanita smit says:

I love the show,please keep it up!! Don’t stop at season 2, it’s so a great feeling sharing the fantasy!

5. Ruby says:

He is such a find. So glad this show got renewed.

6. Lisa E says:

Seriously great interview. Great answers from JR. He and KK really own the scenes that are in. I feel every emotion and believe every line. They are truly a talented bunch along with the rest of the cast. I can’t wait for the emotional torture of tonight’s finale.

7. Jared says:

Beauty and the Beast has become one of my favorite new series to launch this year. The procedural element was probably one of my least favorite things about the show early on but as soon as that faded into the background and the mythology took over that’s when the show really began to thrive creatively. The finale looks epic and I can only imagine how it will end considering this show isn’t afraid to take risks. It only adds to the story and gets fans going crazy. So happy the CW saw the potential in this series and decides to give it a second season!

8. Alichat says:

“a new character who is very close to one of our lead characters”…….hmmm, is that a different way of saying that her mom is alive and comes back into the fold? Vincent’s brother isn’t really dead??

• Mister.T says:

I don’t know what “new” is, but I don’t think it totally brand new, it could be Cat’s mother still alive, the girl was in Afgha with Vincent, even Alex, we didn’t know what really happen to her.

• Alichat says:

Yeah….I was thinking the same thing. “New” probably doesn’t mean completely unknown. I can’t imagine it would be an OMG moment if we have no idea who this person is. And I thought about Alex after I posted that. I just assumed she was dead, but what if they captured her and experimented on her?

9. Dulci says:

Matt-great questions. Thank you so much for the article. Love it. I am very excited and nervous for tonights finale. Thank heaven we have a season 2 coming.

10. MD says:

I really love this interview! A “new” character…? Maybe Evan wasn’t really dead and they experimented on HIM..? And what about Vincent’s father? Is he dead?

11. Paul says:

I’m betting that her father works for muirfield, I doubt it was only her mom!

12. Dj says:

When you’ve got an actor like Lucas Bryant in the last two episodes its obvious he’s going to play a bigger part in future stories …
    Looking forward to it already

13. Shan says:

I liked the show and now I have my Mondays all set to watch with no interference from any other show.

14. Shan says:

I am looking forward to the finale caught up on all the past episodes and really glad I started watching Mid-season, because if I started with the pilot I would have been gone. Yes it really has found its footing in the last half of the season. Please do not get rid of Gabe because I really like the actor who plays him and he plays the character of Gabe like all his roles quite well.

15. I am so glad they got a second season, otherwise, I would have been devastated for the rest of my life!

• Ashley says:

i agree with you 100%. i think i would have gotten a breakdown if there wasn’t a season 2.

• ashley says:

you and me both. i am glad there is a season 2. i was in tears when i watch the last episode and everytime i watch it tears always come to my eyes.

16. Ashley says:

OMG episode 22 was really epic, but i was also in tears to see vincent leave kat.am on pins and needles wondering what’s going to happen in season 2. i want kat and vincent to stay together cause they look great and she really does love him even if he’s half beast. from the start she was never afraid of him like in the beauty and the beast with Ron Pearlman when Linda Hamilton first saw the beast she was afraid of him.

anyways what’s that about the man cat knew as her dad for the past twenty something years is not her dad but someone else. is this man murfield. Who is murfield anyway?

cat’s going to be so devasted in losing vincent and on top of that she’s going to find out that the man she has been calling dad for years is not her dad. (sobs). am in tears right now. everytime i watch this last episode tears comes to my eyes.

this beauty and the beast is totally awesome , it’s like a remake of a modern day beauty and the beast almost like how some directors are doing modern day remake of fairytales such as hansel and gretel, jack and the giantslayer (jack and the beanstalk) just to name a few. it also brings to mind some paranormal romance i read where the hero is a shapeshifter half beast/half human and falls in love with a full human and can’t have a normal life because of their beast side, but at the end of the book they end up falling in love and being together.

i hope cat and vincent stay together and that in season to she goes on a search to find him or vice versa. am pondering what is going to happen to vincent. Will they do more experiment on him or worse?

gotta make a comment, but it’s just my opinion – in episode 21 Date Night when vincent took the pill and was like normal and the 2 guys came in cat’s apartment and they were fighting i was like what’s up with vincent he has that guy beating him up and he hardly gets a punch in and am like cat can give vincent a serious work out if they had to fight in his non beast state cause he’s like weak (sorry vincent) and she’s like superbad cause she has some great moves when it comes to fighting her enemies. i love that she can take care of herself. other than that she and vincent need each other. so catg beast or no beast i hope u keep on loving vincent and am hoping u guys can have a future toghter.

kudos to the cast and directors and everyone involve in making a great and awesome series as beauty and the beast.

ps Can’t wait for season 2. When will season 2 aired. can anyone tell me please

17. Fay Herridge says:

Oh Jay, there were more than one or two tears dropping during and after the finale … many more! Knowing we have Season 2 to look forward to makes it a “little” easier but that cliffhanger still left us hanging by our nails. Congratulations to all the BATB cast and crew on a terrific first season.

18. SPN Fan says:

I am re-watching the season and glad in the second have it really found its niche I have one little gripe. In the beginning of the season Cat was in distress a lot, but managed to be able to defend herself to a point ( ex. episode 2 defending herself against the cyclist), but as the season progressed they made her more and more reliant on Vincent which I did not like. She can be vulnerable/sensitive and act the same time be a strong woman who can defend herself maybe not against beats so much, but regular guys.

• Ashley says:

I don’t think they made her rely on vincent in defending herself. as you stated she can be vulnerable/sensitive and at the same time be a strong woman who can defend herself which is true as you said. i more believe they made her rely on vincent more when it comes to her cases. in episode 21 she handle herself quite well and vincent was taking quite a beating because of the pill he took which made him “normal” and didn’t have his beast strength to clobber the guys fastrer, cat had to pull her gun on the guy to get him to release his hold on vincent and that’s when vincent took that chance and knocked the guy out. that’s just my opinion on how i look at it. other than that i agree with you.

19. sandra says:

As i always saith that vince and cat are good together so i hope that cw do not seperate them too long in season 2 ok. their chemistry together brings about season 2 and i see a edward and a bella of twilight in this beauty and the beast show. if they want season 3,4,5……. they have to keep them together and more love scenes. people love that sort of chemistry on and off screen. so cw dont seperate them for too long ok. i really want to see this show for more than a 2.3,4,5season i want to see it reaches season 10 or more, i love it.

• Mary says:

You took the words right out of my mouth Sandra, I couldn’t agree more! I love love love this show and especially the romance between Vincent and Catherine and the way work things out together. I couldn’t bare to have them separated for too long, plus Catherine needs to have Vincent by her side comforting her when she has to deal with the news of her father. Plus I adore watching their love scenes, they are so beautifully done and so breathtaking, I simply must must must have more – Pleeeeease!

• ashley says:

yeah this is an awesome show and i absolutely love it. i frequently watch all of season 1 over again. i agree with you about the edward and bella reference, seeing as Tess madea comment about it when cat thought she was pregnant. LOL. they really need to keep vincat together and definitely do more love scenes cause people really do like that as you said and they are in sync with one another. cat is going to need vincent in season 2 when she finds out that the man she has been calling dad all her life isn’t her dad. so please CW don’t make them be separated for too long.

congratulations to both the cast and the crew of Beauty and the Beast for an awesome season 1 and hope that season 2 will be greater.

all the best

20. I’am so grateful for the CW & for all those people responsible for the new BatB series… You made my world guys! Thank you for having Jay&Kristin together! What a remarkable love team! Hypnotizing & such a hot pair! It’s rare to see & watch & fall inlove with actor&actress having unexplainable chemistry together… Yearning for more seasons to come… Mmwahh!!!

• Mary says:

I agree wholeheartedly with you too Imelda, and pretty much everyone here. Such a wonderful show, and I too am glad they focused more on the romance and the overall mythology and less on the procedural aspects, it made for a much more intense and compelling series. Love Kristen and Jay together on and off screen, they both seem like such lovely people and have such a beautiful chemistry together in either setting – I just love them! Plus I have to say, Jay/Vincent is simply drop dead gorgeous – he is what fantasies are made of! ;-)

21. Moya says:

Slowing down their romance made me wana watch more and more, because I was longing for them to be together. I honestly can’t remember when was the last time I enjoyed watching a series like I enjoyed Beaty and the Beast. I am over the moon just knowing that season 2 is on the way, I can’t wait

22. tessa ebarrete says:

the show is a big hit because the fans adore the love team and the chemistry on and off screen of Kristin and Jay. They are such great actors and their romance in the show inspire us Fans all over the world. I agree that this show should have at least 10 seasons to inspire the millions of Fans all over the world.Keep it up guys!

23. lee-aan says:

I’m suffering frm withdrawal here…pls tell me wen season 2 is starting. Simply love the show an Cat’s super cool street fighter moves…totally addicted

24. karla says:

when we can see the second season ? the first season has only 22 episodes ??

25. Desire' says:

I’m totally hooked on BATB!! Wat an Awesome screenplay and chemistry. So excited there’s a Season2!!! Can’t wait for season 2! Well done to the producers …..never been so hooked on a series! I just love Vinc and Cat together- both beautiful people who take this series to anotherlevel. Hurry up with Season 2 guys!……NUMBER 1 FAN!!!

26. Maria Martin says:

I hope they keep the romance alive because Kristin and Jay’s connection rocks! I’m hooked and I hope there will be more of the tender moments between Cat and Vincent!

27. Good day! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout
    out and tell you I really enjoy reading through your posts.
    Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that go
    over the same topics? Thanks a ton!

28. Andrea says:

I love the show now! The first and second episodes were not gripping for me, but cause their acting is so intense I could feel so much energy from each actor it made me keep watching! I love the show so much ! I want more ! ! Each character is so interesting I want to learn more about them! And with Catherine and Vincent— even their 1 kisses are so so sweet, I cried when she cries because her heart breaks are so real! !
    I just feel sad my support came in too late :( I wish I could have supported the show more sooner! !
    Live long Beauty & The Breast! !