Fall TV Preview

Fox's Top Exec Confirms 24 Reboot Set for May 2014; Plus — Scoop on Glee's Season 5 'Twist'

24 ReturningFox has officially restarted the clock on 24.

Fox entertainment chairman Kevin Reilly confirmed Monday during a conference call with reporters that the seminal Kiefer Sutherland thriller will be revived in May 2014 as a limited series event titled 24: Live Another Day.

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New

“[It's] 24 compressed over 12 weeks,” explained Reilly. “It will go chronologically over the day, but it will skip hours. It will be dictated by the plot.”

The idea for the TV continuation came after the long-gestating 24 movie was deemed unworkable. “[The producers realized that] 24 compressed into two hours is not 24,” said Reilly. The limited series conceit “is the perfect form[at]” because it’s essentially the original 24 minus 12 hours of filler. “The spine of the original 24 episodes was about 12 hours,” Reilly pointed out. “Those were when the big events occurred, and then there were little events and connective tissue in between. So [we're] taking the best 12 [of the 24].”

RELATED | Fox Fall Scheduled Revealed: Bones on the Move, New Girl Snags Super Slot, The Following Held

Other highlights from the Reilly presser:

* As TVLine reported early MondayGlee will take a midseason break before returning in late spring with what Reilly called a “creative twist.” Season 5 will then spill over into the summer.

RELATED | Complete 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What Got Cancelled? What’s Returning?

* Contrary to reports of a complete panel overhaul, Reilly would only confirm that one current American Idol judge won’t be back next season: Randy Jackson. Beyond that, no decisions have been made about the panel (although he did hint that a return to the three-judge setup is “likely.”) “The format, more than anything, will have a few fresh twists next year” giving the show a fresh “jolt” in the wake of this season’s ratings woes.

Comments (88)

• Is this as a 1 time deal only, like in place of the movie, or will it be something they bring back in this format for a couple years etc?

Comment by Jason – May 13, 2013 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ratings may determine that.

Comment by Michael Sacal – May 13, 2013 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guarantee you if the ratings are high FOX will do whatever it takes to continue 24. In this day and age where these shows seem to get cancelled as quickly as ever, if 24 proves to be the giant it was before there’s no way FOX is going to let it get away again.

Comment by skytzo425 – May 13, 2013 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I AM SO HOOKED ON 24 I HAVE SERIES 1 to7 CANT SEEM TO GET 8 STILL TRYING. FOX SAID 8 WILL AIR IN DEC 2013 TRYING TO FIND OUT WHEN NO LUCK. HELP

Comment by Marie Kligerman – December 10, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You can watch season 8 on Netflix nm

Comment by alex – December 14, 2013 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please only bring Chloe back. I don’t wanna have to buy a new TV and if i see Kim on my screen i will throw the thing closest thing near me at it!!!

Comment by dee123 – May 13, 2013 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • maybe she will get eaten by a tiger or something, I agree

Comment by ali – May 13, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Definitely want Kim!!!

Comment by GK – May 13, 2013 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, I wants to see me lots of Kim!! Can we have another season where she’s running a lot?

Comment by MrMank – May 13, 2013 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes Chloe must come back. Jack and Chloe are a must.

Comment by Rodna Epley – June 17, 2013 10:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like to see Audrey, just to give their relationship a proper ending. Chloe is mandatory!

Comment by Timmy Bauer – May 13, 2013 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed on both. And no Kim.

Comment by Maria – May 13, 2013 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What about Aunt Carol?

Comment by 24Jack – May 13, 2013 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Who?

Comment by Maria – May 13, 2013 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Aaron, Tony and Chloe. Mike Novick too if possible.

Comment by Pat Hatt – May 13, 2013 08:41 AM PDT
          • We need Audrey, tony, Chloe, Aaron. It will be really nice to ve jack Bauer back in action. But he needs a genuine love life that is also strong and I think Audrey will be good for him.

Comment by Aisha daura – May 13, 2013 01:42 PM PDT
        • +1000

Comment by Mcgoria – May 13, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No Kim?! With only 12 episodes and focusing on the ‘backbone’ you need her.

We all know that Kim’s standoff versus that cougar was key to the entire emotional story thread of Season 2.

Comment by Gil – May 13, 2013 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tony, Chloe and definitely Glenn Morshower!!!! I was disappointed that he was not included in season 8.

Comment by jr – May 18, 2013 01:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t like how they are going to miss hours that’s not 24 but I guess if it gets it back on tv then good. I was sad when the ended it so I hope it’s back for a few seasons.

Comment by cb – May 13, 2013 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the count down was one of the coolest parts. Please make it 24 hours.

Comment by Rodna Epley – June 17, 2013 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Might depend on the ratings?

Comment by Brooke – May 13, 2013 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, that was supposed to be a reply to the first comment but now I’m floating out here talking to myself.

Comment by Brooke – May 13, 2013 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Give us Chloe. And if she dies, we riot.

Comment by Julio – May 13, 2013 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Word.

Comment by Castle Lover – May 13, 2013 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’d never kill off Chloe. She was the only person (besides Jack) who could get stuff done.

Comment by dee123 – May 13, 2013 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like a confirmation on Logan’s fate. Also, I would love to see Tim again; he was one of the better characters introduced towards the end of the series.

Comment by Daniel – May 13, 2013 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d like to see Tony so they can fix his character. The show was ruined for me after that.

Comment by Autumn – May 13, 2013 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wording – is it a reboot or a revival?

Comment by Taelor GitMunny Rye – May 13, 2013 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This will likely be a “x” night event throughout May. Some two hours long.

Total of 6 episodes will be made.

Comment by TV Critic – May 13, 2013 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hmmm… I like that. It worked for Torchwood: Children of Earth. Paring it down, focusing the story and airing it quickly did that show a world of good.

Comment by Emily – May 13, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not sure I like the whole “skipping hours” idea. Just do it for 12 consecutive hours and call it 24. And by the by, everyone said the 24 movie script was great after Mark Bomback polished it. This is just Fox’s way of paying up to Kiefer Sutherland, with some underwriting from Netflix.

Better this than Kiefer Sutherland ends up doing something like Touch, which wasn’t 24 but tried to be. I’m on board.

Comment by Derek Johnson – May 13, 2013 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s not a reboot. A reboot is something that re-does the concept of the show with an entirely new cast (Hawaii Five-0, Battlestar Galactica, the new Ironside, the latest Star Trek movies). 24 is merely a continuation of the series, just as Dallas and Arrested Development are.

Comment by TV Gord – May 13, 2013 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^like

Comment by Michael Sacal – May 13, 2013 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think we’re defining our terms with unnecessary rigidness here. While this is not a continuity reboot like Hawaii Five-O or a complete production reboot like Doctor Who, the transition from out of production to in production in a retooled format can technically be referred as a reboot of the series and not to be confused with the term ‘remake’ that Hawaii Five-O can also be labeled with. Serenity can be referred to as a reboot of Firefly. I don’t know what you’re supposed to call these new in-continuity but still a remake Star Trek movies, though. Overrated?

Comment by TigerNightmare – May 13, 2013 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “Reboot” is synonymous with “restart”, as in rebooting a computer. You can’t arbitrarily re-define words. If you could, why not call it “Ralph”? (Incidentally, the new Star Trek movies are a reboot of the original Star Trek series.

Comment by TV Gord – May 13, 2013 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • “…why not call it ‘Ralph’?”

Bwahahaha! Once again proving why you’re one of my favorite commenters on the web, Gord. :)

Comment by MelindaB – May 13, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Thanks, Melinda. It’s mutual, as I’m sure you know. :-)

Comment by TV Gord – May 13, 2013 10:57 AM PDT
        • Words constantly change. Language is fluid.

At one point there wasn’t even such a word as reboot.

Comment by Len – May 13, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yes, yes, I hear that argument all the time, but the fact remains there is no dictionary where ‘reboot’ has a new or different definition, so until that happens, reboot mean reboot.

Comment by TV Gord – May 13, 2013 03:11 PM PDT
        • I know what reboot means. When you reboot your computer, is it in the same state as it was when it was brand new? Do you have all new hardware components inside suddenly? Do you have Windows8 when you had XP before rebooting? No. Hence, differentiation with additional terms, like ‘continuity’ like I already said. 24′s production ended, now it’s starting. Again. Starting again. You can even go so far as saying restarting. But that doesn’t make it a continuity reboot. You seem to be making this distinction that all reboots are continuity reboots when they’re most definitely not. And the new Star Trek movies are within the same pre-existing continuity that all the previous shows and films were a part of but on a different timeline. It would just be a simple remake if they didn’t have the time travel plot involving the original Spock.

Comment by TigerNightmare – May 14, 2013 04:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kiefer Sutherland and a gun make me happy.

Comment by MLO – May 13, 2013 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wish it was coming back on a more permanent basis but I’ll take what I can get. This show is like the air that I breathe!! And I agree with others who have said Chloe MUST be brought back.

Comment by Pat – May 13, 2013 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great news! Will the original players be back? I especially want to see Chloe back!

Comment by Ron – May 13, 2013 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder where the location (s) will be. The “skipping hours” format would work very well if it was set in various European locales.

Comment by EJ – May 13, 2013 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It will be the same tired 24 crap that made the last few seasons unwatchable.

Comment by Matt – May 13, 2013 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The last time we saw Chole, she was taken away by the Feds.

NOTE: Scene only part of the deleted cut.

Comment by TV Critic – May 13, 2013 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • great to see its coming back even if its a strange set up and a one time thing. Chloe will definitely be back you can’t have the show without her. i wonder if they will have it in the states or pay the money to have it done over sees Jack Baur in Russia would be pretty cool.

Comment by James – May 13, 2013 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think another great “event” would be to bring back the X-Files as a way to close out the alien mythology story. They’ve been trying to get a third movie made but it seems to be going nowhere. Perhaps this would be the way to go.

Comment by Jim Lengell – May 13, 2013 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee’s “creative twist” = First half at McKinley, Second half in NYC.

Comment by Dannie – May 13, 2013 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope it will be first half at McKinlay and NYC, then second half only in NYC. I don’t really care about the newbies so much to enjoy the half of the season mostly about them, especially now, when Brittany is gone.

Comment by SylwekG – May 13, 2013 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking that the “creative twist” would be continuity and decent scripts. :P

Comment by MelindaB – May 13, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think that will ever happen again. Season 4 was an example of that. And if Reilly thinks that the core fans like season 4, he’s not in the loop of information. I like the idea of few hiatuses during fall and spring. Just 1 big 1. Dec to April hiatus. But if the fall is just McKinley which I can’t stand, then I will start in April to watch Glee. I don’t care about graduation or Nationals. But what are intra-mini arcs? Anything like season 4. 5mins of NY to 55min of Lima. Season 5 will be as bad as season 4. I won’t believe anything Glee says til it airs.

Comment by Sela – May 13, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Chloe O’ Brian and Tony Almeida for the 24 reboot next May.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – May 13, 2013 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • bring back also cole ortiz , arlo ,and maybe morris

Comment by sooka – May 30, 2013 03:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When last we saw Jack in 24, he was on the run and Chloe gave him a head start before she would send CTU forces after him. They’d have to resolve that as Jack has been hunted down by CTU many times during the show.

Comment by Kenneth L Byrd – May 13, 2013 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I KNOW this will spark angry replies but I was hoping FOX would COMPLETELY reboot 24 by having another agent go through the hours and letting Kiefer executive produce. Just reboot the the characters and agency and local and start over.

Comment by Kenneth L Byrd – May 13, 2013 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I NEED A MEDIC!!

Comment by Jules – May 13, 2013 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope the original characters come back! I hate it when they change them up. Please keep Chloe, she was great!

Comment by Alley – May 13, 2013 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is OVER, it’s stupid to make a reboot of 24. Fox if you want to revive a tv show make it with Firefly.

Comment by Alia – May 13, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved Firefly too, but many of the actors are on other shows. As much as I would love to see it on the air, I just don’t think that it’s possible right now. And although it’s gained even more of a following since it left the air, it makes sense to revive something with proven ratings.

Comment by MelindaB – May 13, 2013 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yawn @ Firefly.

I’ve loved almost everything Joss Whedon has touched… except Firefly. No idea why so many people enjoy such a slow, boring show. X)

Comment by DoctorWhoFanatic! – May 13, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Same here…exactly.

Comment by TV Gord – May 13, 2013 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I loved it. It had a cross of drama, action, comedy, horror, etc/

Comment by Sela – May 13, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jack and Chloe. Resolve the hunting Jack issue and give Jack a newbie to work in the field with so Kiefer can turn the reins over to them. Then lets get to hunting some baddies!!!!

Comment by sladewilson – May 13, 2013 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL. Reilly has practically dismissed half of the show.

Comment by Krethgar – May 13, 2013 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I missing the scoop on Glee? Is it merely that someone has deemed it “creative”? Has the meaning of scoop changed?

Comment by Sheila – May 13, 2013 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully the creative twist with Glee is that it will make sense and be good again

Comment by octopus – May 13, 2013 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We can only hope. They missed the mark last season.

Comment by Sela – May 13, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I need 24 back in my life. This show is so good and is so missed! I am glad it’s returning to TV, even if it’s limited.

I bet ratings will go high for its return.

Comment by J – May 13, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here’s Mary Lynn’s comment from twitter:

mary lynn rajskub ‏@rajskub 17m
    I love you twitter people I promise to tell you if/when I hear about ‘Chloe’ on 24. . Let’s ‘Live Another Day’

Comment by Don J – May 13, 2013 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also, on the season 8 DVD there was a special extra scene where Chloe got arrested for helping Jack escape. I wonder if that will be addressed if she’s included.

Comment by Don J – May 13, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Look up above several posts for the clip.

Comment by TV Critic – May 13, 2013 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE the idea of 24 being back. I basically don’t watch TV anymore, but this is one show I’ll definitely watch.

It was wise to take some time off, as the show, as great as it was, was getting redundant and tired, but I think they will now find that most the audience is ready to have it back.

I agree with other suggestions. Do a full season or two with Jack, and then transition to a younger agent.

Comment by Shawn – May 13, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate these huge gaps mid season. Can’t we just have a new episode each week (except holiday weeks though these can be scheduled around if you try) and when they are all done, show something else. The something else could always be a repeat of an earlier season so no real expense involved. Okay, I know it is just me. Oh, and scrap the silly sweeps months and just see how a show does across the whole season, it isn’t as if the execs don’t have data coming out of their whatevers. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest :-)

Comment by IMHO – May 13, 2013 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How I have missed Jack Bauer. Please say that Chloe will be back as well. Getting excited just thinking about it. Damn it Chloe!

Comment by Babygate – May 13, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee S5 will be spilling into the summer? I kind of like that idea. It would help lessen the void left my so many shows going on hiatus. Now, if only the news involved getting rid of Lima once and for all, it would be perfect. I kind of feel bad for Heather Morris. I think that her crying during the finale was real, not acted. I think she realizes that she may be gone for good and that’s got to sting. It’s almost like getting penalized for being pregnant.

Comment by Babygate – May 13, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am happy for the shows return and if its successful leave the ending opening so it can return if wanted. Glee so glad there is huge break as the interruptions before in show were awful and alienating fans, and the show itself has jumped shark so late spring summer perfect for second half!!!

Comment by DavidSask – May 13, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dammit, twelve hours is not enough time!

Comment by Cat – May 14, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please bring back Chloe. Her and Jack make the show

Comment by diane – May 16, 2013 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!!

Comment by Linda Lawrence – May 23, 2013 11:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best tv news I’ve heard in a long time! I have a renewed withdrawal and will be having a few 24 marathons to ease the pain of the long wait for May to roll around. Welcome back Jack!

X-files can definitely ride this format on my screen as well!

Comment by Jack S – May 26, 2013 10:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of the BEST show in T.V. history and trust me there have been great ones. BUT Tony is a must and not as a bad guy

Comment by William Rosa, Jr. – July 7, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve discovered It positively useful and it has aided me out loads. I’m hoping to contribute & assist other users like its aided me. Great job.|

Comment by linux hosting – August 5, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Revive Nina and Steven Sanders. <3

Comment by Blabla – October 15, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have all 8 of 24s and cant wait for the next 1also when is it going on sale so I can get it for my collection

Comment by arlander – March 29, 2014 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post