School's Not Out: NBC Renews Community

Community Renewed Six seasons and a movie? Not so far-fetched after all!

NBC has renewed death-defying cult fave Community for a fifth season, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | NBC Cleans House, Cancels 5 Shows

No exact word on episode count, but 13 is the number being bandied about (that would put it within striking distance of syndication-friendly 100.)

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated.

1. Aaaaaand cue the “Six seasons and a movie!” comments.

2. Et al. says:

Cool
    Cool
    Cool

• Angela says:

Couldn’t have put it better myself :D.
      Wow. I am pleasantly surprised by this news. Even if it is only for 13 episodes again, hey, better than nothing! Hopefully any kinks that needed to be worked out with the new showrunners will be sorted by then (though I personally rather liked this last season overall), and we’ll have another great run of episodes.

• Kaite says:

My sentiments exactly. NBC, for once you are streets ahead!

• Alan says:

sorry to be pedantic but you are missing one cool, its “cool. cool, cool, cool”.
      anyway im glad to see this, ive found this season to be quite decent and now the “hurr durr no harmon” people cant blame the show ending on him leaving.

3. Mellie says:

Woo!

4. Elyse says:

I don’t watch but this should make a lot of TVline readers happy so I’m happy! :)

5. guest says:

I’m extremely happy!!

6. EatMorePez says:

Sony TV Studios are the masters of negotiating the seemingly impossible renewal.

• Fabe says:

They better figure something out for Happy Endings!

• Philipp says:

I would be so much happier with a Happy Endings renewal. Community is not what it used to be. I would’ve actually preferred Go On over Community at this point.

• Jennifer says:

Absolutely agree that GO ON should have stayed and Community should have gone. Community hasn’t made me laugh in ages. It seems that they just started phoning it in mid-last season copying story lines from wherever they can think to do so. GO ON is super funny, has a great ensemble that can actually act (yeah Gillian calling you out on your acting abilities). Really just a shame that GO ON couldn’t GO ON.!!!!

7. Dan says:

Yes! best news I’ve heard all day.

8. Jace says:

I REALLY didn’t expect this, glad they have a chance to make up for that… less than stellar… finale.

9. Monty says:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Tenney says:

YIPPEE!! I’m doing a happy dance!

11. Drew says:

Deanlightful!

12. Jo says:

This and Parks will be the ONLY thing I watch on NBC after those morons canceled GO ON. Community should be picked up for a full count. NBC will canceled most of those stupid shows after 2 weeks.

• I’m with you, but I’ll add Late Night With Jimmy Fallon (which next year will be The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon– here’s hoping that lasts) & the occasional SNL episode.

• Joey says:

You should be happy they cancelled Go On and a bunch of their other comedies. It means that their little experiment to create comedies that appeal to a broad audience (much like CBS does with Big Bang, 2.5 men, etc) and stop supporting comedies that are constantly praised by critics has so far failed.

• Why would he be happy they cancelled Goon after calling NBC “morons” for cancelling it? Can you read? Are you actually trying to tell someone they shouldn’t have liked a show? Because you think you know better? Really? Community got marginally better ratings in a worse time slot. It’s a shame, since Community this season really wasn’t Community anymore. Really hope next season is better, but my expectations have gone from the floor to the basement.

13. ScarletM says:

I squealed!

YESSSSSSS!!!!!

14. ggny says:

15. Katherine says:

Good on Sony for bargaining with NBC for “The Blacklist”

16. CJS says:

NBC officially has no idea what the heck they’re doing. They cancel Go On but renew THIS?!?!?!?!?!?! Wow. I give up. I’m only watching NBC for Sunday Night Football from now on.

• Et al. says:

A football fan makes a dumb comment? I’m shocked. Shocked, I say!

• I’m sorry NBC canceled a show you like. Perhaps instead of unnecessarily insulting Community fans with your dislike of the show, you should be tweeting your complaints to @NBC on Twitter. Or start a show petition even.

• Lisa says:

Ummm. He did not insult the fans. He insulted the show. Sorry, but that is not the same thing. You can hate a show but that does not mean you hate the fans.

• Lindsey says:

It is insulting to spit out useless negativity towards something in an area of people that are predominantly supporters of said thing. So yes, he did insult them.

• CJS says:

Oh for goodness sakes I never said anything about the fans (although you just proved it doesn’t take much to insult them)
            I didn’t attempt to insult anyone & if you take my original post as a personal insult, then it just shows that you are a weak & overly sensitive person who has no social life whatsoever & probably also watched Happy Endings in addition to Community to fill the void left behind by having no friends & by having no taste in REAL television.
            Now THAT’S an insult ;)
            Bazinga

• Ashley says:

That is the longest sentence I’ve ever read

• kavyn says:

Community had the edge over Go On after Go On plummeted in ratings (from losing The Voice as a lead in). Go On had ratings lower than Community after the change.

Oh, not to mention Community has four seasons over Go On. learn2ratings CJS.

• ScarletM says:

This is better than Go On.

17. Lauren says:

I’m completely shocked but very excited!
    Now, they’ve given this show so many chances, they couldn’t allow Go On another shot? I know it’s not the absolute best show but I’m not convinced any of the comedies they’re picking up will be better.

18. J Smith says:

It’s because this show is streets ahead…

19. Ethan says:

Cool…Cool Cool Cool

20. Ace says:

SIXSEASONSANDAMOVIE. It might be a cliche at this point, or a dream, but I don’t care. All I care is that there’s MORE COMMUNITY.

21. James says:

I will trade this to get GO ON back.

• Please take your whining elsewhere. Perhaps complain to @NBC on Twitter and not here. Sorry for your loss, but us Community fans are happy (and maybe lucky even) to have another season of this show. And Matthew Perry will get another show. He’s good at that.

• ER says:

Actually, not all of us Community fans are happy. Some of us think that this past season was a horrible, horrible joke and that it’s quickly ruining what would have been remembered as a classic before Dan Harmon left.

• Guest says:

Then stop watching. But plenty of us still like the show and are excited about it getting renewed. Just because YOU don’t like it doesn’t mean it needs to be canceled.

• ER says:

Yeah, obviously NOTHING has to get cancelled. Every show has its fans, but you can’t tell me it wouldn’t hurt if something like, say, Whitney got renewed while one of your favorite shows was cancelled. If Community was cancelled, you can bet anything that fans would be here and on every NBC show renewal article talking about how unfair it is that X,Y, and Z got renewed.

• Matthew says:

I know I’m in the minority on this one, but I thought this was a stronger season than season 3 for the most part (though Season 3 had some outright gems… like the “flashbacks” episode, Journey to the Center of Hawthorne, and the timeline one). Definitely could have benefitted from a full order though, and making the “Dark Timeline” finale all in Jeff’s head felt like a bit of a safety move from the new team, IMO. Dan Harmon would have made that a real paintball event, spaced over 2 episodes, I bet. Can you imagine how awesome a fourth season cliffhanger would have been if the study group ended up betrayed by Pierce and trapped in the Darkest Timeline world after losing a game of international paintball instigated by both timelines’ versions of Dean Spreck? Maybe it’s just me, but it would have been a good opportunity to prove that Community was retaining it’s “quirkiness” without Harmon.

• CJS says:

I’d honestly rather trade Parenthood to have Go On back on. Community fans are extremely devout, whereas Parenthood fans aren’t nearly as passionate & probably wouldn’t care.

• Amy says:

Why would NBC cancel a 10pm 1 hr drama, which improved it’s ratings, to air a 30 min comedy that tanked as soon as it lost The Voice lead in?

• Lucy says:

I am a devoted and passionate Parenthood fan, as well as a Community fan. You must not be a Parenthood fan or you’d know how much love it has and what a sigh of relief went out when it was renewed. Mike Ausiello himself could tell you how much of a fanbase the show has after hosting the forum they did.

22. S. from E. now says:

NBC, congratulations on not britta’ing that! : D

23. Aleksa says:

I will now do the dance of joy.

24. collins says:

still pissed about Go On, but extremely excited for this news!

25. S. says:

Best news of the day! Happy dance.

26. Mike says:

Took long enough.

27. Tom Charles says:

STREETS AHEAD!

28. nannarpite says:

Dean-tastic!!

29. Jenn says:

Fantastic news! Now if only they could get Dan Harmon back…

30. EatMorePez says:

This makes sense because NBC probably didn’t want to sacrifice one of its new sitcoms by airing it opposite The Big Bang Theory.

31. Wait, Shield AND Community airing this fall?!?!?!
    This IS the best way to start Summer Vacation!!

• Andie says:

I’m not in summer vacation yet but these two pieces of news certainly make studying more bearable!!! I am so happy.

32. Alex says:

Yes. Put in the contract that Annie has to wear Evil Annie’s red dress in every ep!

33. Teag says:

Well duh.

34. pilo says:

NBC brittaed canceling it. Yay!

35. Meagan says:

YAY! So happy! Calling it now… Jeff returns to Greendale as a teacher! Why else would they have him major in education?!

36. Catherine says:

Yay!!!

37. castlefan says:

but they had worse ratings than Go On…? community is an absolute joke now. i’m so glad i stopped watching. saw a few episodes of season 3 and had to quit because they were trying too hard to have quirky~ episodes and abandoned all character development and storylines. the characters are complete jokes now.

38. rowan77 says:

Very happy about this one!

39. dude says:

Community is the new Chuck when it comes to renewals this is great news

40. Britta Unfiltered says:

A year ago season 5 seemed like a unicorn. Who would have thought we’d be here today with season 5 renewal news? I’ve been trying to decide for awhile how I would feel about this since season 4 was a bit of a letdown, but I’m happy. I honestly am. Now that the new showrunners have done 13 episodes, now they can really get in a groove and do some amazing things with the show.

41. Superhero says:

The finale was pretty terrible, and the show as a whole wasn’t as good as it was under Harmon, but I’m still happy about this.

42. rachelle says:

No FREAKING way!! This is fantastic news! I was SO worried!!

43. Pat says:

Expecting 13 episodes, hoping for 16, praying for a full 22.

44. I thought I’d be happier about this, but I mostly just have mixed feelings.

45. Mel says:

Yes! Hopefully that means more J/A progression!

46. Todd says:

#poppop

47. Sarah says:

I like Community, used to love it, but all the behind-the-scenes jerking around NBC did really diminished from the current season. In general it just wasn’t as great as it used to be.

48. Sam says:

Can all the Community fans stop saying how they are hated, they made it 5 season, maybe more.

49. Sheila says:

Noooo! Community is the stupidest show I’ve ever seen. I just don’t “get” it. Why won’t this dreck die already?

50. Artemis says: