Fall TV Scoop: NBC Orders Chicago Fire Spin-Off

Get More: Uncategorized

Chicago PD - PilotAs anticipated, NBC is keeping the Chicago Fire burning with Chicago PD, a police-oriented spin-off of its successful freshman drama.

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide To What’s New!

The cast includes ChiFi‘s Jason Beghe (pictured) and Jon Seda (reprising their roles as Sergeant Hank Voight and Detective Antonio Dawson), Clint Eastwood’s actor-son Scott (Texas Chainsaw 3D) and Lost alum Tania Raymonde.

RELATED | Fall TV Scoop: NBC Orders J.J. Abrams’ Believe, Jason Katims’ About a Boy, Sean Hayes Comedy and More

The official logline for the offshoot reads: “District 21 of the Chicago Police Department is made up of two distinctly different groups. There are the uniformed cops who patrol the beat and go head to head with the city’s street crimes. And there’s the Intelligence Unit” — led by Voight — “that combats the city’s major offenses – organized crime, drug trafficking, high profile murders and beyond.”

Will you be tuning in for Chicago PD? Or is a spin-off a tad premature?

Comments (54)

• It was better when it was set in New York. And called Third Watch.

Comment by Melissa – May 10, 2013 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If I could marry your comment, I would.

Comment by tanya – May 10, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How about waiting to see the show before saying Third Watch was better, eh. I loved Third Watch but that doesn’t mean there can’t be another show just as good or better.

Comment by wrstlgirl – May 10, 2013 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Every ChiFi post is plagued with Third Watch stans being bitter…best to just ignore then.

Comment by Amanda – May 10, 2013 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thanks for the advice but that comment was screaming for my argument. I’ll never understand why people are so quick to judge something that they know nothing about. And you know what, I don’t want to ever understand it. It’s just dumb.

Comment by wrstlgirl – May 10, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is NBC, of course it will suck. And even if it doesn’t suck they’ll cancel it after one short season. Nutless monkeys could do a better job of running that network.

Comment by Smoker – May 10, 2013 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • So you’ve sent in your application! That’s great!

Comment by Wrstlgirl – May 10, 2013 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And Chicago PD was better when it was set in New York and called NYPD Blue! ;-)

Comment by RAGGEDT – May 10, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sorry, did someone take away your Third Watch DVDs and force you to watch Chicago PD against your will?

Comment by EatMorePez – May 10, 2013 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Bwuhahahaha!!!!!

Comment by wrstlgirl – May 10, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • We only got 2 seasons of DVDs! lol

Comment by scg10 – May 12, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AMEN!! And Jason Beghe’s character is such a DB and sleeze on Chicago Fire. Who’s idea was it to build a show around him, unless their plan is to make the show about dirty cops?

Comment by dragons3 – May 10, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, I think that’s a world record!

Comment by Joseph D – May 10, 2013 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not quite. The Partridge Family spawned a spinoff from its first season, called “Getting Together”.

Comment by TV Gord – May 10, 2013 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL I thought I was the only one who remembered that show.

Comment by Sue – May 10, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL! I wish I could remember things that really mattered, but nooooOOOOOooooo, I remember a one-season Bobby Sherman sitcom from the 70s. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go get some money out of the cash machine (if I can remember my PIN). ;-)

Comment by TV Gord – May 10, 2013 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • LOL I can even remember the Getting Together theme song!!

Comment by sue – May 10, 2013 02:48 PM PDT
          • I wish I could get it out of my head! :-)

Comment by TV Gord – May 10, 2013 05:28 PM PDT
          • I know. I’ve been humming it all day long.

Comment by Sue – May 10, 2013 05:37 PM PDT
  • i love Chicago Fire so i can’t wait for the spinoff!!! :)

Comment by Elyse – May 10, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very excited but honestly completed expected. Looking forward to see this :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – May 10, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Remember when no one was even sure if Chicago Fire would make it the whole season without being cancelled? NBC. :)

Comment by badpenny – May 10, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the idea of Voight being a good guy on the spinoff after he was such an evil bastard earlier in the season.

Comment by RobMF – May 10, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad Chicago Fire has done well. It’s improved in ratings several times. I hope ordering the spinoff to series doesn’t mess the quality of the show like it did with L&O: LA.

Comment by Esaul – May 10, 2013 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like that they’re setting up a parallel conflict to the Squad/Truck tension in Chicago Fire with the beat copss/task force dynamic.

Comment by wordsmith – May 10, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really looking forward to it. Based on early reviews, I wasn’t expecting much from Chicago Fire, but it quickly became appointment viewing for me. Far better than the reviews suggested. I think the spinoff will be just as compelling and I look forward to it.

Comment by CJ – May 10, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! Chicago Fire has been the biggest surprise for me this season and I’m looking forward to seeing this spin off. The crossover potential is all ready set between the two and should be easy to coordinate since they’re both Dick Wolf shows. Jason Beghe and Jon Seda officially being part of the cast make me want to watch it! Both actors are awesome in their roles. =)

Comment by HeatherC – May 10, 2013 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I kind of love how they’re turning Voight into a “good” guy for the spinoff! Also really glad they didn’t kill off Antonio.

Comment by CJ – May 10, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here, I wasn’t expecting a lot but it really surprised me and I look forward to watching it every week.

Comment by Emily – May 10, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not sure I even want to watch season 2 of Chicago Fire. It’s kind of silly how horny everyone is all the time, how they manage to cover a widest possible range of generic archetypes and how broadly flat the drama feels at any given time. We should all have much higher standards.

Comment by TigerNightmare – May 10, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Everything you mentioned is true, and it’s also the reason the show’s a success. Nuance in writing/casting is a dead artform.

Comment by mondosalvo – May 10, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not dead, just not as popular. See Breaking Bad, Justified, The Wire, Friday Night Lights.

Comment by TigerNightmare – May 10, 2013 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like my standards just fine, thank you :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – May 10, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • isn’t he in jail?

Comment by Leah – May 10, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will most likely watch. I watch Chicago Fire and I’ve really enjoyed it.

Comment by Robin – May 10, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know how bad NBC’s ratings are when they add two episodes AND create a spin-off from a series that nearly always in the 1.6-1.8 demo range. CF, though, is posed for a breakout – they really need to move it from CSI – where there is audience overlap. Tuesday (unless Grimm stays) or Thursday at 10/9 would work well.

Comment by Chicago Dan – May 10, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Chicago Fire, it’s my favorite show on NBC on Wednesday nights and I don’t normally watch TV. But every single cop show or a show about the fire department is set in NYC, Its nice to finally see a show in a city that I actually live in. I’m excited for this show and I can’t wait to see it.

Comment by Mallory – May 10, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They could have just brought back “Chicago Code”. yes, it was on FOX, but it was good.

Comment by Derrick – May 10, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was just going to say wasn’t this called the Chicago Code. I would love for Jennifer Beals to be in the spin off…LOVE HER!

Comment by Jake – May 10, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish some people would get over the tiresome cliche of saying a new show is just like an old show. I remember seeing it first when The Mentalist was picked up. Dozens of people wrote that it was just a ripoff of Psych. Funny, they’re not saying that these days.

Your opinions are based on nothing. You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Comment by TV Gord – May 10, 2013 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just might have to frame this!!! :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – May 10, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chicago fire had one of the worst pilots but after that they really turned it around…

Comment by Kate'shomesick – May 10, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I reviewed the Chicago Fire for a website last summer, and I have to say I agree with you. I was very disappointed in that pilot, but I love where the series has gone!

Comment by TV Gord – May 11, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been really looking forward to this show based on how much I unexpectedly liked Chicago Fire. But it left a bad taste in my mouth that dirty cop Voight will be a star. I hope they have a redemption story line in mind or I may not watch after all.

Comment by MaryAnn – May 10, 2013 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It looks like the last episodes of this season will indeed feature a redemptive story of Voight’s character, especially based on the most recent promos for next week. I wouldn’t have guessed that at the beginning of the season, but I think they can make it work.

Comment by CJ – May 10, 2013 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since Chicago Fire gets a spinoff how come NBC wont order a Grimm spinoff?

Comment by w – May 10, 2013 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is always room for another great cop show. We lost Southland, so maybe this coming show will somehow make up for that.

Comment by Roses – May 11, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have yet to meet a Dick Wolf show I didn’t like. Bring it!

Comment by Zoe – May 13, 2013 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As soon as I detected this internet site I went on reddit to share a few of the adore with them.

Comment by web hosting – May 16, 2013 06:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A little pre mature but I’ll tune in. There should be an Office spin off, but sometimes it is best to let things die I guess.

Comment by John – May 17, 2013 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love anything that’s about our great city Chicago. Plus, when ChicagonFire first started it didn’t get a lot of recognition or praises, but before you knew it, they were adding on more & more episodes before the end of season 1. That’s how good it was. I’m sure the true fans would also love to see what Chicago PD is all about. Especially since Voight, Det. Dawson is going to be on the new series. Also, how the season finale ended with Mills going to the Chicago Police Dept. for an application for the academy, seems like he might also be on the new series Chicago PD. I guess now Dawson & Casey can get together, Yeah!

Comment by Jennie – May 23, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CHICAGO FIRE is a great drama, wonderful actors/acting/writing About time the actor who plays the chief is on another series! CHICAGO PD will be great!
      Surprisingly, SVU is still excellent too These are the only shows we watch on NBC
      I agree with you re the great city of Chicago It’s about time more series are set there It has the most significant architecture of any U.S. city and a vivacious vibe! The city itself has so much personality and can be a “character” as Toronto is in ROOKIE BLUE

Comment by Alex – May 28, 2013 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post