ABC Cancels Body of Proof, 5 Others; Renewals Include Castle, Revenge, Suburgatory, Nashville

ABC Renewed SeriesTaking a better-late-than-never approach, ABC has officially renewed nearly a dozen shows for the 2013-14 TV season, including rookie drama Nashville and established hits Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, Revenge, The Middle, Modern Family, Castle (for, contrary to rumors, one and not two more seasons) and Once Upon a Time.

Sophomore bubble comedies Suburgatory and Last Man Standing also have been picked up, as has the freshman series The Neighbors.

RELATED | ABC Picks Up Marvel’s S.H.I.E.L.D., Rebel Wilson’s Super Fun Night and 9 Others for Fall

On the cancellation front, Malibu Country, Family Tools, Body of Proof, How to Live With Your Parents (for the Rest of Your Life), Red Widow and Happy Endings have been axed (full story on H.E.‘s demise here).

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated.

1. NY says:

here for Castle

• iMember says:

Here for Revenge, and other shows too, but mostly Revenge. <3

• Cathie says:

Castle, Greys Anatomy and Nashville are my favorites this year. Glad they made it to next year. Also really enjoyed SMASH but that was cancelled.

• patinkaty says:

thrilled about revenge and grays anatomy. why are you cancelling body of proof. it’s a great show. abc cancels everything that is good

• Irene says:

I am really upset about Body of Proof. There are so many terrible shows out there that continue on and I don’t understand why. Vegas, on CBS was also cancelled.

• Mary says:

Totally agree! So many crappy shows and Body of Proof was so good and had great actors. Really hate that the show has been cancelled!!

• lorna says:

I liked how to live with your parents so boo hiss :(

• chaos says:

agree!!!!!!

• chaos says:

when i said agree , i was replying to comment by:mary , about body of proof, i do not understand how they could cut the show, i recorded it every week , so i could watch it later in the night. sad! they should only allow people to vote on the show that have watched it more than 1 time.

• Pam says:

Somebody must have been under the influence when they cancelled Body of Proof!! I can’t believe that the ratings were low So what’s the reason for giving it the boot? Not much sense in having a TV these days unless you are into reality shows which I am not, I dislike them!!! Thanks for taking off one of the few shows that I enjoyed. CSI NY was also a favorite of mine.

• Carole Mrozek says:

Maybe they should get rid of some of the reality shows….they suck……Red widow….body of proof, at least Nashville is still on. They took my favorite show off 2 years ago. Friday Night Lights……

• Mike says:

We three grown-up adults that live here absolutely VOTE ‘Yes Indeedy Please’ for another ten seasons of “Body Of Proof”. Go Team Megan & Team Tommy! BTW, if “Vegas” has been Cancelled also sign us up for No More Cable!

• Linda says:

What are they thinking getting rid of Vegas and Body of proof ? I watch those shows religiously. I love those shows because they keep me coming back to see what is going to happen.

• Bill Glodzik says:

totally agree to this post. Vegas was great & body of proof was a thinking person’s show. ABC must think all its viewers are morons.

• Gary says:

I agree that Vegas and Body of Proof are really good shows. It was my understanding that both of these shows were getting very good ratings toward the end of the season. They both should have been renewed for at least one and probably two more seasons. I am VERY disappointed with the networks and cables.

• john pisonya says:

ABC is in the mode of catering to the 18 to 49 age groups. They say!! But, they will keep some dumb reality show because of good ratings?? They really need to look at the viewers and what we like and not some advertising jerk. I guess if you fail at everything you can always get a job at ABC!!! I hope all these messages are sent to ABC. The viewers are the last to have input.

• theduck says:

Shows continue because you are not the final arbiter of what is and isn’t good. I’m sorry something you like was cancelled, but honestly, I thought Body of Proof was a bore, and I’m sure there are shows that I like that you would put in your “terrible shows” list.

• Kerry says:

I also like Body of Proof – why do you cancel all the good stuff and let the c#@p stay?

• Arlene says:

Body of proof & Vegas were 2 of my favorite shows and they are gone. Just like Made in Jersey. Took that off and put in another show about lawyers. Getting tired of all these lawyer shows. Take off the good stuff and leave on the junk. Way to go.

• PATTY says:

I AGREE WITH YOU, IT ALWAYS SEEMS THE SHOWS WE LIKE ARE BEING CANCELED AND THE OTHER SHOWS STAY ON. I GUESS CBS AND ABC DOES NOT CARE WHAT CERTAIN PEOPLE WANT TO SEE. IF ITS NUDITY, CUSSING, DRUGS, THEY WILL KEPT THOSE SHOWS ON TV!!!!!!!!!! THE SAD PART IS I HAVE TO PAY CABLE TO WATCH TV AND YET I DON’T GET TO CHOSE WHAT SHOWS I WANT TO WATCH!!!!!

• Cindy Ransom says:

I have to agree with Patty all the shows that we like get cancelled and the network keeps the crapy shows on TV that dont make any sense at all it is not even funny. I loose interest in those type of shows. Why take Body of Proof off the air I look foward to watching that show it keeps me coming back. But like Patty said I have to pay for cable and we dont get to pick and choose what programs we want to watch it is not our choice.

• I agree with Patty. We also pay for cable which I most times only watch about 4 shows. I really liked Body of Proof. I wish they would take a poll from watchers before taking shows off. A lot of the shows now are just crap, stupid junk.

• Linda Wagner says:

I love Body of Proof. Please bring it back. So few good shows left on TV. Not into all the reality shows. Body of Proof and Revenge are my two favorites.

• lorinda says:

It’s all about Politics and MONEY for the T.V. stations. NOT about the viewers !!

• jan says:

I am Also thrilled that Grey’s Anatomy,Caste,and Nashville have been renewed for next season but I am disappointed that the Stupid people at ABC has Canceled Body of Proof it was a wonderful Show.I hope that they don’t put something Dumb & stupid on it it’s place.

• Deborah McNamara says:

I agree. I love these shows! I never missed Body Of Proof. I am glad Revenge is back. I hate the reality shows.
          CBS canceled so many shows and NBC needs to give up!
          I love Smash The new Normal and Rock Center! I hate the regular networks!

• chaos says:

i cannot believe that you canceled body of proof, maybe you should take a poll from people that actually watched the show more than one time ! i am very disappointed in you all.

• carol says:

Also upset about body of proof i took my thoughts to abc.com and when to the contact us.

• vbergen5@shaw.ca says:

I agree, ABC has always cancelled shows that we love, incuding Body of Proof! Why??

• kim says:

Yeah! Castle, I love Kate and Castle together. This show has it all. Detectives, love story and family dynamics. It’s great and we need more shows like it. It reminds me on Bones and I watch both. Thanks

• Alberta Hagerman says:

Well thank the Gods that Castle was renewed. Why are the good shows cancelled and all the crappy ones left. It’s a good thing I have a library card.

• Castle is good I watch it all the time ,

• Alberta Hagerman says:

I love Castle, the rest I know nothing about. Upset that they are dropping Body of Proof, it really is good acting and story. (perhaps needed a boost)

• dolker@telus.net says:

I am very glad you are not cancelling Castle this is one of my most favourite shows next to Bones these are very clever with the writing and the actors are excellent. I do not believe there are many other show out there that are so entertaining so please dont cancel this show.

2. All I care about on ABC is The Middle and Happy Endings.

• Cindy says:

If you haven’t given Last Man Standing a try, do so. It’s very well-written and I think there is comedy there for every age group. We couldn’t be happier that it’s being renewed. It may be that Friday night at 8 p.m. isn’t a good time slot for it; maybe young adults and teens are out on dates.

• Pipotipipota says:

Don’t try Last Man Standing. It began as a cute family show, now it’s a tribune to republican 1980’s ranting. Ugh.

• Brendan says:

I agree. Every single episode quickly devolves into a political debate on a very specific issue between Tim Allen and his liberal daughter and/or her baby daddy… sitcoms are supposed to be about comedy, not political platforms. And this show has stopped making me and my family laugh a long time ago. I actually liked Malibu Country much better…

• Jacob says:

Brendan ever seen All In The Family? Political platforms are good comedy unless your thin skinned

3. Charli says:

I’m so happy for Nashville!! Nashville & Scandal are my two can’t miss shows. I expected Scandal of course, but damn was I worried about Nashville considering all the breaks ABC gave it all year.

But YAY! I’m so happy it’s coming back!

• Elly says:

Me too!!! I was SO scared they weren’t going to renew Nashville, thank ya lord!

NBC- you’re dummies. Go On was a funny show, way to run a network powerhouse into the ground.

• Emily says:

It wasn’t until all the renew/cancel news poured in this week that I realized that for the first time in years, I wasn’t worrying about any of my shows. I feel for people who did have to worry, but whew.

4. Kaitlin says:

What about Body of Proof?

• Andrew says:

i gave up on that when they fired the actually actors fro the pretty boys

• Rusty says:

Ditto!
        Got tired of a late 50’s woman in high heels trying to act like a thirty something hottie. But come on, a ME in stiletto heels and her long hair flowing and tight dresses doing an autopsy? Bad writing makes for bad acting, I like Dana Delany, but the writers made her character so unlikeable and arrogant. The only good actors were the ones from last season and of course her boss running around in her underwear was nice, but not enough to raise the ratings. Marisa Ramirez was a breath of fresh air and did in fact help, but alas, even her talent couldn’t help this titanic of a show. I blame the writers for about 90% for this failure. All of the cast have talent, they just need the right show to bring it out and I hope that they all find a niche in future shows.
        ABC needs to look very hard at the writers of this show and remember not to hire them again. I hope for the final show they at least do away with the daughter. Her scenes were.. thank god for the fast forward button. I don’t blame the young lady, but who ever thought she had talent needs to get fired. I figured it was a favor someone owed someone that got her job, because it wasn’t on talent. Ok, enough of my rant… Now, bring back Vegas.

• GTS says:

Yes. Her outfits were ridiculous. They picked an older actress, they should make her act like an older woman. Try not putting a medical examiner in stilettos with heels more inches than I can fought, and the tightest red dress you can find. That’s not what most people wear to a crime scene with a dead body, or to cut a dead person open.

• lyn says:

They do the same thing on Rizzoli & Isles. Sasha does an autopsy with no protective clothing, not even goggles.

• Deborah McNamara says:

Older Woman! She is not that and she beautiful. I love that show! It a TV Drama not Reality! Please cancel all reality TV.

Cancel The App. and Trump!

• chaos says:

50 is not that old, i know alot of 50 year olds that wear tall heels, nice dresses , and actually care how they look( and also have nice long hair) But this is a t.v. show, for some of us 50 somethings, we like what we see . the show is awesome, it has a great storyline. so bummed to see Body of Proof go !!!!

• Linda says:

Oh yes I agree–Bring back VEGAS and MALIBU COUNTRY. How can you go wrong with Reba and Lilly Tomlin- They make a great team.

• jc70 says:

couldn’t agree more. for the most part, a talented cast…but this show is ridiculous. terrible stories. weak writing. horrendous situations. one the worst and most unrealistic shows on tv. good riddance.

• Deb says:

I am not upset that Body of Proof was cancelled. I just didn’t LIKE her character. Very arrogant and dismissive. I wanted to slap her. I would record the show and always cancel it a quarter way through. She looked ridulous and totally unbelievable. It isn’t about “age” she was just too much!

• judy beck says:

I totally agree with everything you said about Dana Delany’s character. Very poor writers in my opinion. Yes, bring back Vegas. I live in Vegas and found it entertaining to see the old days of Vegas.
          reply by judy – Oct. 4, 2013

• nanvy says:

Still love Body of Proof—so what if she wears dresses and heels–she doesn’t do the actual autopsies, she just follows up on the results. Go Megan, MD !!!!!!! Hope they change their minds and don’t cancel you b/c your show is better than 90% of the crap on TV!!

• hollie says:

I know I really liked Body of Proof. What a shame.

• cookie says:

What Body of Proof??? I love this show. I was so vested in stories. This season has been great!!! ABC is wrong on this cancellation
        So sad.

• Sue Willoughby says:

So sad about Body of Proof! Maybe, just maybe, if shows were on a good schedule so viewers would know when to watch, ratings would be diff. Hate 1/2 season, hiatus, 2 episodes, rest of season. Hope no stupid comedy or reality replaces it.

• soxfan says:

officially cancelled – sad, I really liked the show.

• tara17 says:

I enjoyed the show too. Wasn’t perfect, but most of the episodes were highly entertaining, plus: Jeri Ryan. Oh well…

• Kim R says:

I’m so disappointed. I wasn’t going to watch this season thinking that after all the cast changes it wasn’t going to be that good. Boy, was I wrong! It was excellent and the storylines were so much better than last season. I can’t believe they cancelled it! :(

• Jennifer says:

Once Upon a Time got renewed.

• Deborah McNamara says:

I don’t hate the show, but ABC cancels other shows before they find an Audience. I loved Zero Hour and they only aired three episodes.
        If we have to pay for TV now they have to let People Vote for shows. Please do not put only good shows on at the same time.

5. Tiffanie says:

Best news ive waited for all day thanks finally

6. Babygate says:

I’m happy about Nashville, although a little surprised considering the low ratings. After last night’s 3.2 demo rating for Scandal I imagine execs are shouting the renewal from the rooftops. lol. Greys! My fave, even though I have a love/hate relationship with Shonda about it. So relieved about Castle!

• lorna says:

Nashville is amazing, politics aside. Why aren’t more people watching?

• Babygate says:

That’s what I want to know. I love it. The thing is that this show never started with a bang. It started kind of low and just went lower so it’s not like people are turning away. I think they just never tuned in to begin with. Which is a travesty in my opinion.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I can answer that for myself, and maybe it applies to a few more people. It looked extremely soapy to me, and I just haven’t been into soapy dramas lately, so I never tried it. But it’s good, you say? I do like Connie Briton, I’m glad to see her working.

• Chris says:

Nashville definitely was getting “soapier” as the season went on- more like “Dallas” and having everybody being unhappy all at once about something- the main actors are very good and the music is probably the best thing about the show. if they could just keep it about the music and the artists instead of who’s sleeping with who than it would keep it’s originality instead of being just another night time soap.

• Stephhie59 says:

Chris, Nashville is not a soap, nor can it be a show all about music else a lot of people would turn off. It’s a drama. Why would you want it to be all about the music and not include relations with the characters? That doesn’t make sense.

• jenna says:

I may catch up over the summer but to me nashville kind of lost steam halfway through the season, I didn’t feel invested enough in the show and just kind of stopped caring

7. M. says:

Castle is no surprise, but I’m elated.

Wondering if we’ll here anything about the earlier rumored direct pick-up for 2 seasons…

8. Elyse says:

yay for Greys and Nashville! I knew Greys was gonna happen but Nashville was worrying me!

9. martina says:

Yay for Castle! I wish that rumor that ABC was considering to renew it for two seasons was true, though.

10. lauren says:

ABC You better Do it Right and Renew Once!

11. ggny says:

Please find out some news on Happy Endings.

12. c-mo says:

The official renewal for Castle still doesn’t make up for the Go On cancellation. I know, I know different networks but I can still hold a grudge.

13. Lorie says:

Yay for Castle & Scandal!

14. Robin says:

YAY – Nashville!!!! :)

15. K says:

ABC i’m still holding out hope that you’ll renew Happy Endings or at the very least USA picks it up… (fingers crossed)

16. Ann says:

Castle is no surprise, especially since they ordered a couple additional episodes for this season, but it’s still good to finally get the confirmation.

17. nani says:

oh so happy:) Castle :)

18. Maggie says:

YES Nashville!

19. shay says:

Yeah for Castle! For Grey’s I think saison 10 should be the last and for me season 9 wasn’t so great

NBC damn you for Go On :(

20. CJS says:

I knew in the back of my mind that Grey’s, Scandal, & Castle, would be back, but it still makes me feel good knowing that they’re officially going to be back.

21. jopat95 says:

I can’t quite call this “The 11th Hour”, since ABC waited until AFTER 5:00 PM PST to say anything at all.

And these first shows renewed are just the most forgone conclusions (the same applies for Agents of SHIELD).

22. Mike says:

Once will be renewed as well as Revenge, they both did better or on par with Nashville, but great for Nashville, my mom will be thrilled.

23. Mari says:

YES Castle!

24. castlefan says:

YAY castle! a given but still exciting! i wonder if that two season renewal rumor will come true……

25. Kate says:

Yay CASTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish it was for 2 seasons, but we’ll celebrate getting season 7 this time next year! :-)

26. Happy to see Nashville and Castle renewed. Hopefully, Revenge and Once Upon A Time follow.

27. Esaul says:

Yeah, I was reading about a potential two season renewal for Castle. Given that it makes no mention here, it’s safe to assume that it’s only a one season renewal?

28. Elle says:

Any news on Revenge?

29. rachelle says:

YAY SCANDAL!!! Not that we fans didn’t see that coming from 10,000 miles away!! Also happy about Castle and Once.

30. Linda says:

Revenge & Nashville!! I can finally breathe a sigh of relief!

31. nitemar says:

I knew Castle and Grey’s were a sure thing. Though Shonda has teared my Calzona heart apart. O.O

32. iMember says:

YAYAYAYAYAY REVENGE!!!!

33. Babygate says:

I’m a little surprised about Suburgatory. This show has turned into a bit of a mess and it’s just going to be taking up air time that can be invested in something newer and better.

• Judy says:

The last episode of Suburgatory was completely awful. Really – George would let his daughter move out, choosing his girlfriend over his daughter? And Daliah used to be such a great character – now it seems like she is hitting on George? The show is a complete mess!

34. Josh says:

Yay For Nashville Revenge and Once upon a time!

35. Zorkel567 says:

Yay, Once Upon a Time, Scandal, and Revenge!

36. Lori says:

Yay to Nashville!!

37. 24forever says:

Good news for my shows once castle and revenge on the hand I know that show happy endings is funny but if it has been cancelled that leaves for Elisha cuthbert to reunite with her on screen dad as Kim Bauer because 24 is returning to television so i hope to see her back on 24 I can’t wait until 24 returns. I know this abc I just wanted to say this because 24 is one of the best shows in my category:)

38. Elle says:

Hmm… I can see why Malibu Country got canceled, apparently no one cared ^^^^^^^ hahahaha. But shoot, I really liked it. I think if they got a second season and got more into a groove, it may have done better. Reba is so hilarious. Darn.

• Jo says:

I can’t believe it! It got 7 million views on a Friday night?? Confused…

• Arlene says:

Sorry to see Malibu Country not coming back. I really liked the show . If I couldn’t watch it I made sure I recorded it. I’m a huge Reba fan and I love Lilly Tomlin. Now what to watch on Friday night. They’ll probably put on another damn reality show.

• Linda says:

I love Malibu Country. I am very disappointed that they cancelled this show. It is one show that really makes me laugh. How great is that!

39. Tony says:

Not entirely surprised by these renewals. I think (and I say this as still a big fan) that season 10 will be the last for Grey’s. Its still in a pretty good place. I say end it on a fairly high note.

40. Gail says:

So happy Nashville got a second season!

41. kelly says:

Yay Suburgatory!

42. I would assume The Middle will be picked up. I hope anyway.

43. Mike says:

Any news on HTLWYPFTRYL?

44. Joey says:

I love that this links to a Happy Endings post, but its just one sentence about how USA might be interested.

I’m happy for Suburgatory though. Great show.

45. Mike says:

Oddly, I’m happy The neighbors got renewed, I wasn’t ready to say good bye to Larry Bird, the show really grew on me.

• Heather says:

I feel the same way! The Neighbors really grew on me and it was the last show I was waiting to hear about. I think this is one of the first tv seasons that none of my favorite shows were axed :)

• nicole says:

Agreed. The Neighbors is an underrated show. I’m glad it looks like ABC will pick it up. Super sad about HE.

• LynnH says:

LOVE The Neighbors! They can’t leave us hanging with the toast warning! Let’s hope no news is good news.

46. ncmacasl says:

correct Last Man Standing on Bubble List to RENEWED not CANCELLED ( and Neighbors)

• ncmacasl says:

LMS would be a good team with Family Tools and Neighbors – make a new family friendly TGIF block!! (add How to Live with Parents, too!!)

47. JC says:

A little sad about Body of Proof, but I’d expected it.

48. Shoof says:

The Neighbors got a renewal, but Body of Proof didn’t?! I feel ill.