Fall TV Scoop: The CW Orders 4 Dramas, Including Tomorrow People, The 100 and Reign

The CW New Series for Fall 2013It’s The CW’s turn in the pickup spotlight.

The network has handed series orders to the dramas Star-Crossed (formerly Oxygen), Tomorrow People, Reign, and The 100, TVLine has confirmed.

They join the previously ordered Vampire Diaries spin-off The Originals.

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New

Among the noteworthy pilots not getting the go-ahead from The CW was a second stab at adapting The Selection for TV. (The CW’s complete development slate can be found here.)

Here’s the logline/casting/pedigree info for each of the new series:

The 100 (Drama)
EPs | Jason Rothenberg, Leslie Morgenstein, Gina Girolamo, Matt Miller (Chuck)
DIRECTOR | Bharat Nalluri (Emily Owens, M.D.)
CAST | Eliza Taylor (Neighbours), Bob Morley (Home and Away), Eli Goree (Emily Owens, M.D.), Henry Ian Cusick (Lost), Marie Avgeropoulos (Cult), Paige Turco (Person of Interest), Isaiah Washington (Grey’s Anatomy), Kelly Hu (Arrow), Thomas McDonell (Suburgatory), Christopher Larkin
Based on upcoming Alloy books written by Kass Morgan, the project is set 97 years after a nuclear war has destroyed civilization. A spaceship housing the lone human survivors sends 100 juvenile delinquents back to Earth to investigate the possibility of re-colonizing the planet.

Tomorrow People (Drama)
EPs | Phil Klemmer (Chuck), Greg Berlanti (Arrow), Julie Plec (The Vampire Diaries), Danny Cannon (Nikita)
DIRECTOR | Danny Cannon (Nikita)
CAST | Peyton List (Mad Men), Luke Mitchell (Home and Away), Robbie Amell (Revenge), Mark Pellegrino (Lost), Madeleine Mantock
Adapted from the 1970s UK series, it follows several young people from around the world who represent the next stage in human evolution, all possessing special powers including the ability to teleport and communicate with each other telepathically. Together they work to defeat the forces of evil.

Reign (Drama)
EPs | Laurie McCarthy (CSI: Miami), Stephanie Sengupta (Outlaw)
DIRECTOR | Brad Silberling (NYPD Blue)
CAST | Adelaide Kane (Neighbours), Toby Regbo, Celina Sinden, Jenessa Grant, Megan Follows (Anne of Green Gables), Anna Popplewell (The Chronicles of Narnia), Rossif Sutherland
The previously unknown and untold story of Mary Queen of Scots rise to power when she arrives in France as a 15-year-old, betrothed to Prince Francis, and with her three best friends as ladies-in-waiting.  The secret history of survival at French Court amidst fierce foes, dark forces, and a world of sexual intrigue.

Star-Crossed (Drama)
EPs | Meredith Averill (The Good Wife), Josh Appelbaum, Andre Nemec, Scott Rosenberg, Richard Shepard, Bryan Furst, Sean Furst, Daniel Gutman
DIRECTOR | Gary Fleder (Beauty and the Beast)
CAST | Aimee Teegarden (Friday Night Lights), Matt Lanter (90210), Malese Jow (The Vampire Diaries), Titus Makin Jr. (Glee), Grey Damon (The Secret Circle), Natalie Hall (Pretty Little Liars), Chelsea Gilligan, Greg Finley (The Secret Life of the American Teenager), guest star/recurring Maggie Elizabeth Jones (Ben and Kate)
Passion and politics threaten the peace and an epic romance ignites between a human girl and an alien boy when he and eight others of his kind (The Orion 9) are integrated into a suburban high school ten years after they and hundreds of others landed on Earth and were immediately consigned to an internment camp where they’ve been imprisoned ever since.

1. Zorkel567 says:

Interesting…

2. EJ says:

I think The Tomorrow People will take the Carrie Diaries slot.

3. Amy says:

Wonder if this means Nikita will get a shortened season, or no season at all.

4. mike says:

hopefully they have good shows… I think they need to get rid of Top Model. I hope they are chalked for of shows for everyday of the week. They also need a good Saturday morning line-up! What’s up with networks lacking in this department???? I am baffled about this! BTW>>>Arrow is one of the best shows on TV…

5. Kim says:

These will obviously get paired together. So that’ll end up being the Monday block. So either Carrie Diaries is renewed and moves to Tuesday with HOD or not at all :(

6. lariet50 says:

Does this mean “The Selection” was scrapped again?

7. Jake says:

Hoping both The Carrie Diaries and Nikita get 13 ep renewals!!

8. Winston says:

Reign and oxygen also picked. Company town and blink passed no decision either way on the selection

9. Derek says:

None of this is surprising. Good moves (so far).

10. lorna says:

Please renew carrie. Greta teen series. Go leave feedback at cwtv.com

11. lorna says:

Plec on yet another show? Well tvd s5 might be worse than this disastrous season.

12. DreamRose311 says:

Come onnnn pick up Selection!! Not really interested in Reign, but the rest sound interesting

13. Jared says:

The CW has also picked up Oxygen and Reign for next season as well.

14. luli says:

They better renew Nikita!!!

15. Spike says:

wait what? the CW just released a official press release calling it “Oxygen”. why would they rename it to something tacky as “Star Crossed” AFTER the press release?

16. Jared says:

So, when exactly did The CW become “SyFy 2″?!?!

Seriously, the whole “supernatural” style shows were the niche of that network, and now its becoming strictly science-fiction related? I don’t like it.

• Superhero says:

When something is successful, you stick with it. Their genre shows have been finding success. Therefore, they’re doing more of them. Not that difficult to understand.

• Fiona says:

Since the WB and UPN both had a very strong genre presence in the early days. UPN’s major draw for years was the Star Trek franchise. The WB practically bit its teeth on Buffy, and then went on to make Charmed, Smallville, Supernatural, Roswell, Angel, and had decent to large success with all of them.

I for one am happy to see the CW once more accessing the “hot young people with super powers” part of its roots. ABC Family had been kinda steeling that niche for awhile.

I also don’t think it’s fair to classify them all as scifi, when Reign is clearly period.

17. Eric says:

Is CW becoming SyFy?

• Spike says:

Arrow and SPN work and obvs they try to milk it now which may work for a while but see what happened to their teen dramas. once u have too much and no diversity of one thing …

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

No, it’s returning to its roots.

18. Wallop says:

These shows all sound very similar. Also, why watch Star-Crossed when I can just rewatch my Roswell DVDs? Been there, done that.

19. i says:

Not interested. Hope they all bomb.

• mmartian says:

Nanny Nanny Boo Boo- I don’t like it so i hope it gets cancelled or I can’t have one so i will break yours!

20. rty123 says:

Are we sure that these are three different shows? They seem all the same to me.

21. Drew says:

It doesn’t sound to me like they’re trying to grow the Arrow audience. Not that I want them to split up Arrow and Supernatural (I would not be happy if they do that) but Arrow was a pretty impressive success. You’d think they’d have more grit in their schedule next year.

And these don’t sound like shows for a more mature audience either. This year, it looked like they were trying to expand beyond the teen audience. Have they dropped that dream?

22. Cherry says:

The CW seems to be stepping up it’s game. Those seem kinda high budget and refreshing, can’t wait!

23. ggny says:

No surprises at all.

24. Dan says:

Star-Crossed is a rip-off of ROSWELL!
    Can’t wait!

25. Superhero says:

Reign – No
    The 100 – Hell no
    Star-Crossed – Hey, Julie Taylor! (Still no)
    Tomorrow People – Maybe? (Probably not)

26. Midori says:

Smart move with the sci-fi. Their best / highest rated shows are sci-fi or fantasy.

27. Allie says:

I’m completely shocked to see something like Reign on the CW of all places (unless they treat it like Mean Girls of the 16th century) but as a fan of that time period I’d absolutely give it a shot!

28. All of these sound really cool.

29. Lisa says:

As long as there is room for Nikita

30. James says:

So that means The Selection is definitely out of the game? Or can it be picked up later? Like, just because it’s not mentioned now means it’s done?

I really want to see it. Love the book and was so excited for this TV adaptation.

31. Cherry says:

I don’t think Matt Lanter can play a teenager anymore.

32. Sareeta says:

Oh, goodie. All of these sounded good. I’m curious about CW’s take on a historical piece (Reign) and am glad to see them bringing more science fiction/fantasy to me screen.

33. lucy says:

So,reboots of Roswell, Hero’s, and Anne of Green Gables in France? Interesting.

34. Eric says:

The Tomorrow People is the only series here that interests me. But at least SPN and Nikita will both return next year!

35. Drewer says:

Oh my goodness they picked up “Reign,” I was really hoping they would pass on this, not looking forward to the bastardization of Mary, Queen of Scots story. How can there possibly be an “previously unknown and untold” “secret history” there. And even if it doesn’t turn out to be totally stupid, really the other characters are her best friends/ladies-in-waiting, The CW is not going to have the budget to make this look good, especially since it is a network that relies so much on product placement. Actually most of these shows seem like they are not fit for product placement. But I fell in love with Roswell on Netflix so maybe Star-crossed will be good. I feel like “Reign” will get canceled anyway, I mean how interesting can love interests be if you know who the character ends up with in the end, maybe I’m wrong.

36. nicki says:

I am interested in all of these

37. Joseph says:

The 100 – Fail due to crappy look of the show , its doomed , it takes a very sharp production crew to make this work
    Tomorrow People – Maybe , but thinking fail unless they find a way to make it work as did Hero’s
    Reign – Fail – Again because I doubt they will get the needed production budget so it does not look like an episode of XENA
    Star-Crossed – Out the gate maybe the easiest one to make work depending on the scripts , hopefully they will look at “The Neighbors” a series where the alien and human interactions worked

38. GinnyB says:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

39. Melody Paris says:

I’m upset about The 100, but only because that will make Paige Turco too busy to stop by POI.

40. Blatch says:

What’s with all the aussie soap stars getting lead and major roles in these pickups. Leave Australia, head straight for the CW. But Bob Morley, really. I hope he’s had some severe acting lessons as he couldn’t act his way out of a paperbag on H&A

41. Ram510 says:

Tomorrow People sounds pretty good. Glad Robbie Amell had a lead role. He was the only bright spot on 1600 Penn. And he’s a way better actor than his uber bland cousin Stephen Amell. Robbie did really well with the comedic role on 1600 Penn so I hope we get to see more of that.
    Star-Crossed (they should find a better title) could be alright, the cast seems pretty good

42. mia says:

Reign sounds AMAZING

43. Thea says:

I will ABSOLUTELY be giving Reign a try. Because Anna Popplewell. Might give Tomorrow People a chance as well, since I’m still bitter about the end of Rosewell.

44. DavidSask says:

Greg Finley should not be able to further act!!!

45. cas says:

And what slots are they putting these shows in? After renewing both TCD, Nikita and Beauty and the Beast, I don’t see how they have many other time slots open. I bet TCD will move to Friday.

46. sarah says:

Oops, I read the other article first, I do not see how CW can have 7 old shows and 5 new ones (including the Originals) I guess 2 shows will be half seasons.
    I was really hoping that Company Town and Blink were picked up. It is not a good year for shows I was interested in as this is the 3rd network that has come out with their pilot pickups and most of the ones I wanted to see are not on the list!
    Of any of the CW ones I will check out Star Crossed (formerly Oxygen).

47. felmyst says:

Also, starcrossed sounds like the teen version of Alien Nation….

48. John says:

I’m there for The 100 and The Tomorrow People.
    Supernatural, TVD, Carrie Diaries, Arrow and now these two on freaking CW!! Oh CW, what are you doing to me!!

49. Qayla says:

I remember watching the original Tomorrow People as a Brit.
    Man I feel incredibly old. *cry*

50. Kimberly says:

There are series regulars missing from the above cast list for “Reign”: Caitlin Stasey & Torrance Coombs. Rossif Sutherland’s role is recurring.