Shonda Rhimes Eyes New Drama About 'a Woman Carrying a Gun and Kicking People's Butts'

Get More: Pilots

shonda rhimes spy series AliasPicture Olivia Pope with a Glock 17 and a generous wig collection and you’ve got a rough sketch of Shonda Rhimes‘ next TV endeavor.

In a just-published New York Times profile, the Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal boss says she has an itch to create an Alias-esque drama series. Or, as she puts it, a show about “a woman carrying a gun and kicking people’s butts.”

RELATED | Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Fave Series’ Endgames, Including Scandal, Grey’s Anatomy and More

Rhimes, who is an admirer of J.J. Abrams’ late ABC spy saga, admits, “[I] would have loved to have been the person who came up with it. I don’t think it’s been done by a woman. And that’s where my mind is.”

The fact that an espionage thriller would appear, at least on paper, to be outside Rhimes’ wheelhouse adds an extra layer of appeal. “I was writing a hospital show for a very long time, and that became all that anybody thought that I could write,” she says. “It’s not that I want to do [a female-spy show] because people don’t think of me as doing it, but when I do say that’s what I want to do next, and some network exec says: ‘Really? Can’t you do one of your romance triangle-y things?’ I want to strangle them. A romance triangle-y thing is not a show.”

Comments (61)

• Shonda should just not do any more shows.

Comment by Pickles – May 9, 2013 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why? Its not like anyone is forced to watch them. Millions of people do so they must be enjoying them.

Comment by Lisa – May 9, 2013 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would have agreed with you until Scandal came along. If she can pull that off, I’m interested in what else she can do outside of pretty people having sex in hospitals.

Comment by dude – May 9, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Because we don’t have enough of those shows, I wish they’d find new themes for shows-maybe they wouldn’t keep shoving reality shows down our throats.

Comment by Elly – May 9, 2013 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes something other than cop, doctor, and lawyer.

Comment by Russ – May 9, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I wish they hadn’t cancelled Zero Hour, I was enjoying something different :(.

Comment by EveatEden – May 10, 2013 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Americans already has a woman spy carrying a gun, kicking butt and wearing wigs.

Comment by Stacey – May 9, 2013 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This!

Comment by Alienate – May 9, 2013 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And a better written than what SR would be able to.

Comment by Ana – May 9, 2013 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re talking about Nikita right? Okay, just checking. :)

Comment by iMember – May 9, 2013 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Or Covert Affairs….although for some stupid reason she carries few guns.

Comment by Shaun – May 9, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • lol yeah people complain about how Annie doesn’t use guns that much, but she had never finished her training on the farm (including handling guns/shooting) when they recruited her. It was even a season 2 episode storyline, during an undercover mission at a training base, she was finally able to finish her gun training.

Comment by ZmaX – May 9, 2013 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just go away, Shonda…

Comment by SJ – May 9, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why? She’s writing better shows than anybody else out there. You miss the Brady Bunch?

Comment by Cheyenne – May 13, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Or, as she puts it, a show about “a woman carrying a gun and kicking people’s butts.”

did you mean kate beckett

Comment by tvfan – May 9, 2013 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly.

Comment by Maria – May 9, 2013 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hehehe….you read my mind.

Comment by Krithika – May 15, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Shonda should only do a show like this if, and only if, she will pay attention to plot holes and making a conspiracy make sense. I love Scandal, but that’s mainly because of the cast. The mysteries that she’s put forth haven’t had satisfactory conclusions or movement–and the plot holes are ginormous. Unless she works on that, she should not try this lady spy show idea.

Comment by Nicole (@Nikki528) – May 9, 2013 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. It’s shows like Shonda’s that get admired because she’s been lucky and had success for shows like Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice and now Scandal, while it’s shows like Nikita that get completely ignored. No, I’m not hating, but it’s shows like this that are a completely similar to something else that get recognition, while something like Nikita would get ignored. Seriously will never understand the human race.

Comment by JJC (@GizmoAries93) – May 9, 2013 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t see what audiences liking Shonda’s shows have to do with people not watching Nikita. Its not an either or. None of them air against Nikita. You seem so bothered that these particular shows succeed over Nikita, what about the other 50 shows that also do?

Comment by Amanda – May 9, 2013 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s not about Shonda per say, it’s just that it’s all been done before over and over. It’s never as refreshing, but rather a copycat. My point was that it’s someone like Shonda has succeeded by having her shows surpass, but if someone did something else similar they’d fail. So really, I’m just pissed that she’ll probably make something much like Nikita and it’ll get recognition, but Nikita will be canceled and throw out even though it was the exact kind of show. It’s unfair and just downright annoying.

Comment by JJC (@GizmoAries93) – May 9, 2013 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • huh, Nikita was already done before, it’s just a remake of a show based on a movie. It’s not really somewhat original.

Comment by val – May 9, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Exactly. There was a movie and also an older USA version of Nikita with Peta Wilson. Nothing new there either.

Comment by Lena – May 9, 2013 11:59 AM PDT
          • You obviously have not watched a single episode of Nikita.

Comment by Joe – May 9, 2013 12:14 PM PDT
          • Yeah And I liked the USA version way better.

Comment by Erika H – May 9, 2013 01:57 PM PDT
  • how about she stops making every show about a strong female character.
    Why doesn’t she work on a gay main character, maybe a guy (since she already has Calzona) But then again, I will say: if the wrtiting is good, it shouldnt matter who is the lead

Comment by Linda – May 9, 2013 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why you gotta be hating on strong female characters???? I mean, it isn’t like there are a million of them on TV. Also, it is generally what we strong females like to watch. Makes sense.

Comment by KSM – May 9, 2013 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Who said I was hating on strong female characters?
        strongly suggest you go back, read my comment again and think about what I meant :)
        mkay?

Comment by Linda – May 9, 2013 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Cause a strong female lead doesn’t always have to carry a gun and beat people up to be a strong person. To be frank, I am annoyed with shows like that. It gives the impression that strong females can’t be strong without a gun.

Comment by Missmurray – May 9, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i hope she will leave Scandal as a head writer
    Scandal will be better without her

Comment by love – May 9, 2013 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds like Covet Affairs

Comment by marcy – May 9, 2013 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only watch her Grey’s, that’s a rollercoaster enough for me.

Comment by rmr – May 9, 2013 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you think GA is a rollercoaster, I suggest you stay away from Scandal. It will grab you up, wring you out and throw you against the wall every week.

Comment by Larc – May 9, 2013 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THIS!!!

Comment by Kampa – May 9, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • but you’ll beg for more!

Comment by DoctorWhoFanatic! – May 9, 2013 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is she talking about Nikita???? …. People need to give Nikita a chance, that show is about a woman carrying a gun and kicking people’s butt and soooo much more! It deserves more recognition instead of a show of shonda similar to Nikita, or a spyesque show…

Comment by luli – May 9, 2013 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Umm… you mean like Nikita?

Comment by kavyn – May 9, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amazing how many people bash her talent. I think if it is in her sights she should go for it. I apologize for all of you who have experienced people killing your dreams. Clearly you need to seek help for whatever issues you have because someone ruined it for you!

Comment by Ang – May 9, 2013 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why do people bash her. She is super talented and if you don’t like her shows then don’t watch.

Comment by juan – May 9, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree! There’s Grey’s fans that bash her all the time yet they keep on watching (mainly 1 fandom of Greys). Turn the channel if you hate her and her shows. Go watch Nikita, LOL.

Comment by Jenny – May 9, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t this already happen and it’s called Covert Affairs.

Comment by Rachel – May 9, 2013 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Annie never carries a gun.

Comment by suz – May 9, 2013 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But Annie Walker is too cool for Shonda.

Comment by Zoe – May 9, 2013 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh great another shonda show abc has officially became the shonda network.

Comment by aciel – May 9, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will it be on ABC? All of her shows have, but maybe this one is on a cable-y network?

Comment by GTS – May 9, 2013 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would be more excited if this wasn’t from Shonda Rhimes. Knowing her it will be a woman who carries a gun, kicks butt……and has emotional crisis every other episode, sleeps with anyone she comes in contact with and loses all of her friends to plane crashes, car wrecks and bus accidents.

Comment by Jax – May 9, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sounds like something out of a Laurell Hamilton novel.

Comment by keja – May 9, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, she wants to make an Alias remake… There are already Nikita (good), Covert Affairs (awful) and The Americans (awesome) with the lead character she describes, not counting the cancelled ‘Hunted’. I don’t think she would make her a lesbian because she needs the ‘star-crossed couple’ (she would basically redo Sydney & Vaughn, or worse, Meredith and Derek), so it would be pointless to make such a show. What about a gay male spy instead? We are tired of Waif Fu!

Comment by Marco – May 9, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t you be knocking Covert Affairs. That’s my favorite summer show.

Comment by Zoe – May 9, 2013 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only if she waits until Grey’s is off the air (which it may well be after next season, its 10th). Grey’s got the short end of the stick this year because Private Practice was ending and this was Scandal’s first full-length season. She writes awesome material, but any writer who is working on three or four projects at the time is bound to slip up and release some shoddy material sooner or later (such Grey’s Season 9, which has been my least favorite so far).

Comment by Walter – May 9, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She should watch Nikita!

Comment by cookie – May 9, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m excited to see what she’ll create!

Comment by KCC – May 9, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shonda can make as many shows as she pleases, if she could just cast Lisa Edelstein for a great part, I’d be happy.

Comment by abe – May 9, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as her shows are good why not? I have enjoyed all three of her shows.

Comment by Jon Rybka-Wachhaus – May 9, 2013 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita is already on its 3rd season so I am open to another kick ass female gracing our screens each week. But Nikki will always have a special place in my heart :D

Comment by JC – May 9, 2013 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kickass ladies? I’m down. Greenlight this business!

Comment by Zoe – May 9, 2013 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haha glad I’m not the only one who saw the headline and thought, Nikita? LoL.
    And I do agree that if she does it, it’ll probably be successful because ABC has a much smarter demographic unlike the idiot(sorry if I’m being rude) CW demographic, who’ll watch shows like Supernatural that’s been mediocre since Season 5, but not tune in to Nikita which is an amazing show that is just more than a woman carrying a gun, sad :(

Comment by Bee – May 10, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It will probably be great with whoever is cast, but it would be nice if she cast a woman of African/African American descent because we have yet to see such a character fully developed and in a lead role on television. Sad but true. Olivia Pope is the first time a Black woman has headlined a show in 40 years! Wow.

Comment by MakeAWinnerShonda – May 13, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There def needs to be a fresh twist to this whole “woman carrying gun and kicking butts”. orphaned gay asian male spy who runs his own fight club for bored and depressed doctors but really is training them to be anti-heroes against the government. whooops, now thats just a different storyline altogether.

Comment by jenzo – July 1, 2013 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You people know that you do not have to watch her shows if you do not want to, right?

So let her create for people who are interested in watching her shows and go watch the shows that interest you.

If she wants to do a remake of whatever just let her be and bounce.

Find something more productive to do than bashing people for having the guts to do something.

Comment by CC – July 7, 2013 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post