NBC Cleans House, Cancels Whitney, 1600 Penn, Up All Night, Guys With Kids and More

NBC Cancelled Shows A major house cleaning is underway at NBC.

The network has axed 1600 Penn, Guys With Kids, Up All Night and Whitney — with more cancellations expected later today.

They join previously cancelled Peacock series Deception, Animal Practice and Do No Harm.

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect Thursday’s bloodbath.

Which cancellation are you more bummed about?!

1. Madison says:

Save Community!!!

2. mayiread says:

Next up: Community.

• Christy says:

I will not be remotely surprised if someone puts the sad, walking dead husk of the show Community out of it’s zombie misery. Other people are still enjoying it apparently, though, so I kinda hope it gets picked up for them even if I’m not watching. The end of season 3 was a great series finale, so I got what I wanted out of it.

• tripoli says:

Yup. Can’t even root for it anymore. It’s not the star it once was. Such a shame.

• tripoli says:

Since the above comment worked I’d like to take the time to ask TVLine why most of my comments in the last few days have not posted. Nothing offensive about them so what gives?

• Angela says:

I seem to have been having a couple glitches with comments today, too. Must just be a site problem or something.

• David S says:

Community has the fact that it’s 16 episodes away from syndication in its favor. A final season of 16-22 episodes would put it in syndication zone. Hopefully that pans out.

I’m more worried for the totally mismanaged gem that is Hannibal. Not since Firefly have I been worried for a show with such a wonderful cast. Deadline is reporting that chances for a second season are looking quite good. 13 episodes a season, relatively low costs for filming and critical praise. Hopefully they market it better, because it definitely could be on par with shows like Dexter, Walking Dead and other premium shows. Miles ahead of Fox’s the Following.

• jenna says:

Hannibal was a show I was immensely curious about, however because of its risque subject matter I decided to wait and see if it was renewed before becoming attached. Somehow networks don’t see this as a possibility when they axe shows or go on a long hiatus between episodes!

• Meg says:

Comedy Central already has a syndication deal for Community.

3. Guy says:

I hope Go On makes it :(

4. DreamRose311 says:

Oh man, starting that off with a picture of Matthew Perry was not nice… He needs to be on a renewal post, not this one!! PLEASE

5. Shaun says:

Bahaha.There is a God and he hates Whitney!

• Jaxguy says:

Did you watch Whitney. After a very rough start it turned into a pretty good show. But it’s cool to hate on it i guess.

• Robby777 says:

Refreshing and a new take. Not formulaic yet. Looked forward to seeing Whitney each week. Hard to follow with all the pre-emptions and time changes…All the good ones get canned too early.

• Debra says:

Whitney was one of “my” shows, a guilty pleasure that I watched without my dh. I’m majorly bummed. Loved the quick and snappy one-liners. I will miss this show.

• tripoli says:

Damn straight. About time that dreck was sent to the garbage bin.

6. Blarg14 says:

Where’s the community news?!?!!

7. Sara says:

More cancellations? Wow they are on a major spree today

8. Elyse says:

Whitney was terrible but I really liked 1600 Penn :(

9. Lina says:

U SUCK NBC no wonder CBS IS #1. U CONTINUE TO CANCEL EVERYTHING GOOD. WHITNEY OVER PARKS & REC. REALLY?

• EatMorePez says:

So cancelling the higher rated Park & Rec, while renewing the lower rated Whitney is your strategy for making NBC #1?

• Danny says:

I know you’re being sarcastic, but it almost comes off as genuine. Try not using the caps lock next time.

• mike says:

I agree… I hate parks. They have No format ….for this! Why oh why????

• Elle says:

I love love LOVE Parks, but I also love love LOVE Whitney. Keep them both! Lol. With the cancellations of other shows, they totally have room to keep Whitney AND bring more shows. Put Whitney on the same night of their high rated shows and I know it would get good ratings. Those other shows didn’t do well because they just weren’t funny, but I think Whitney could have done well if they stuck to one time slot and better placed. Ughhh I’m pissed. Happy Endings & Whitney canceled… I’m scared to read more articles.

10. Duke says:

If Go On doesn’t make it, NBC will have cancelled the last primetime show I had any interest in watching on their network.

11. jmk says:

Whitney was ok, but 1600 Penn was unwatchable.

12. Disappointed … maybe even more so about 1600 Penn … it was so cute! Whitney was tiresome after the gay twist and exit.

13. Josh says:

Not Community. Not Community. Not Community…

14. Sg. Grant says:

I watched Whitney. It has some genuine laugh-out-loud moments. It was a very underrated show.

• t says:

I agree – but the first year was the best – this year has been kind of off the rails

• Reba says:

I really loved Whitney the first season, and they ended the first one on such a great closing place. I still watched S2, and I’m so glad about Mark and Roxanne.

• Rain says:

I didn’t watch the first season because of horrible reviews, I caught an episode this season and fell in love. It consistently made me laugh, I’m sad it’s been sacked. :(

• terry says:

one of my dvd shows….but if you watched the last episode of this season, the handwriting was on the wall….they knew they weren’t coming back

15. brandy says:

Sorry for fans of those shows, but every non-Community show cancelled is a little more wiggle room for Community….

• Gretchen H says:

Good point . . . gives me some hope. Although I must admit this season has pretty much sucked.

16. manny says:

i don’t think nbc knows what a good show is whitney is an awesome and it’s only getting better , this is why nbc is loosing rateings

• Eric says:

You are right, NBC doesn’t know what a good show is, which is why they cancelled 4 of their comedies today and 1 earlier in the year. Whitney was awful. Plain and simple. Parks and Rec is pretty much the best comedy they have. I could never get into Go On or Community, but they aren’t too bad. Just not my kind of comedy, I guess. Regardless, I’m glad NBC is cleaning house with their comedies. Most of them suck. I don’t see how you think Whitney is awesome. Oddest thing I’ve ever heard.

• Jay says:

NBC hasn’t had a good comedy since Frasier, and yes that includes The Office!

• Naden says:

NBC is a off my list of networks I will watch. They tease and pull out. Both Crisis and Believe were my favorites. Ratings are never accurate and reality tv has taken over because of the pathetic lives most Americans live. Next Honey Boo Boo will be in NBC prime time. As a cable paying customer with 200 plus channels I wish I could have more control but this communist society I live in provides over 150 of my 200 channels with reality garbage and NBC has just joined that list. I would also add as a paying customer that pulling the plug without a season ending episode is unethical and part of the growing socialist change.

17. Johnny says:

I’m pretty sure Go On was renewed already.

18. DreamRose311 says:

Refresh Button Torture

19. Nerdbot says:

I know they won’t survive, but I’m still keeping my fingers crossed for Guys with Kids and Hannibal.

• mondosalvo says:

Hannibal has a TON of buzz. I’d honestly be amazed if it DIDN’T get renewed.

• Chablis says:

Guys with kids was cancelled per this post.

• Chris says:

My kids love Guys with Kids. It’s sad when you lose shows that your whole family can watch together. Some of the shows that are on prime time should be on cable with the language and innuendo.

• Treyvonetta says:

All of the adults, myself included, and kids I know loved Guys With Kids. Of course it was going to get cancelled because it was actually funny without being tasteless – and then they put it on after The Queen of Trash, Whitney? Which somehow managed two seasons? An outrage!

• Emily says:

The season ending really needed that second season. I’m crying because I only just watched it (I’m in Australia) and I wanted to know what happens!!!

20. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO damn You NBC!! 1600 had an awesome wtf cliffhanger!!! damn NBC damn it

21. sabrina says:

I’m so glad for these cancellations. I hope that this means there’s more room on the schedule for ‘Hannibal’.

22. Karen says:

Pushing the ‘refresh’ button on TvLine every minute to see what fate NBC has given to the best comedy on television: COMMUNITY! #sicseasonsandamovie

• theduck says:

I’m seeing a lot of love for Community, and I just don’t get it. It was excellent, but this year has been a train wreck. For those of you that love it (like I used to) I hope it gets renewed, but really, I just can’t watch it anymore.

• Jonathan says:

Agreed but I’d give it another year to let the new showrunners some more time – they only had half a season to find their groove, and they could learn from their mistakes of S4…

23. Aimee says:

I’ve been waiting for them to cancel Whitney since the first episode. I wanted to like 1600 Penn because I like so many people in the cast, but I couldn’t stand the older son. When I realized he was the brains behind the show and they couldn’t ditch him, I knew I wouldn’t be able to keep watching.

I know it’s not on NBC, but I really hope 2 Broke Girls gets canned next. I feel brain cells die when even just a commercial for that show comes on.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I could be wrong, but I think 2 Broke Girls got renewed. I believe CBS is just about through with all their renewals and cancellations, and they kept everything mostly the same.

24. Carolee says:

I could not watch more then 10 minutes of the show each time I tried to watch.Who were the writer.?I was awful

25. Kate Garner says:

To cable networks – Pick up 1600 Penn! The writing and cast are sharp and the series really never had a chance on NBC because no one watches the network anyway.

26. mike says:

I think NBC’s problem is not the shows… Whitney was good. But they are battling soooo many other channels. I think they need to revamp there line up. Oh when they banished Smash off to Saturday that was a great call… Saturday’s usually has nothing on…. I think NBC needs to put more SCI-fi shows on. Leave the dramatic shows for another networks. If I was them I would put Heroes back on the air or a show just like it. Male audiences drive networks especially when sports are not on. There you go shows about sports! Like a family racing drama, a show like Jerry Maguire… and reality tv will pass… I know people like it… but I think that is fading, could be wrong but follow players or those trying out for sports teams as a show…

• Jay says:

Shows about sports is a great idea! I have an idea for one about a AA hockey team where the vetran and the rookie are after the same girl, but I’d probably have to change that to baseball for any of the networks to be interested.

27. Nikki Mc says:

first off, why whitney? the show was finally starting to get good. it’s an outrage that they are cancelling all these good shows only to keep stupid ones on. whitney was the last show i liked, and now it’s gone..so much for tv now.

28. Tna says:

Nooooooooooo I love Whitney!

29. Kristen says:

finally on Whitney, that should have been done awhile ago. But 1600 Penn I actually like :-) I was really looking forward to see how it all unfold it now that we know whose kid it really was..

30. noo says:

I’m so glad whitney got cancelled, i could never stop watching it but i never really wanted to!!! as for the “more cancellations to come”.. three comedies are yet to be renewed; go on, guys with kids and community and i love all three and would love to see them all make it, especially community!

31. If Hannibal gets canceled, NBC really has no taste. Definitely my favorite new show this season. Give Bryan Fuller and company a chance.

• David S says:

They’re mismanaging it. It should be a shoe-in for large ratings. Dexter does wonderfully on Showtime but somehow this show is struggling when it has better story telling? If it does get cancelled, I hope one of the cable networks swoops in to pick it up.

32. ncmacasl says:

I enjoyed 1600 Penn. It was a nice show. One of the few NBC has left. Hope Go On still makes it!!

33. Teag says:

Hannibal, Go On and full-season Community.

34. sarah says:

so glad to see Whitney cancelled. What a horrible show.

35. wrstlgirl says:

Hmm, I guess I thought those were already gone.

36. I’m sorry if this seems wrong to some of the little fans these shows had…but THANK YOU JESUS!!!

37. ScarletM says:

Please don’t cancel Community!!!!

38. mike says:

I heard Hannibal was cancelled…. a while ago! What about Guys with Kids! That is a great show. As I said before they need to gear TV towards men… I know you think ESPN and Spike TV…BUT no! I am talking about using a platform for a shows that are geared towards male friendly shows example Guys with KIds :P

39. Mika02 says:

please keep the Go On the New Normal and Guys with kids please!

40. EJ says:

He might have been great in Book of Mormon on Broadway but 1600 Penn proved that Gad is definitely not someone we want to watch in a network series week after week. Same thing was true of Oliver Platf.

• Jen says:

Except Oliver Platt is AMAZING week to week in The Big C.

• Zach says:

I can assure you he was excellent in Book of Mormon. I got box seats, and he stole the show. I thought 1600 Penn was fun, and Bruce Campbell’s guest appearance was hysterical. But I guess not everyone felt the same way.

41. Jared says:

I’ll predict that Go On,The New Normal and Community will be the only renewals along with Parks and Recreation.

42. Not Surprised says:

‘Whitney’ had its moments but didn’t consistently deliver laughs. The only compelling part of the show was the dynamic between Whitney and Alex and even that grew tiresome. I want to like ‘Go On’ because I am a huge ‘Friends’ fan, but ‘Go On’ just isn’t funny at all to me. I want to like ‘Hannibal’ too but that show also doesn’t draw me in. It should be a great show with the interesting premise of a serial killer/cannibal but Hugh Dancy’s delivery just doesn’t do anything for me. Is he trying to have Aspergers because he isn’t pulling it off well at all.

43. DougMac says:

Whitney was underrated. Yes it wasn’t perfect, but it’s much better than it ever gets credit for. Great cast and chemistry between them.

44. TV Gord says:

I thought Whitney improved a lot in season two. 1600 Penn was awful. If Goon ;-) goes on, I hope they do a major overhaul in the cast and concept (get rid of the group therapy and focus more on Ryan’s career. Maybe hire Anne and Owen to work at the station.

I agree with those who hope Guys With Kids comes back. Sure, it’s an old-school sitcom, but it was genuinely funny and the cast works well together. Anthony Anderson and Tempestt Bledsoe are the standouts on that show! Great chemistry!

45. Hannah Fillion says:

Ugh, Whitney is hilarious. Damn you, NBC.

46. Jen says:

boooo! I really liked 1600 Penn. :-(

47. ajintexas says:

The New Normal is getting axed next.

• Jaxguy says:

The New Normal is another show that deserves to stay. It kept getting better and better. NBC is going to lose their entire audience except The Voice people.

48. PLP says:

WHITNEY…..noooooooooooooooooo! I LOVE Whitney! Hey other networks…..Like ABC, where this would fit in nicely, don’t let it become extinct. Take it over. Adding the bar set this year was good to give them some other place to hang out. I personally don’t care for 2 Broke Girls….but I love this! Love the chemistry between Whit and Chris…love the supporting players. This series deserves to keep on going….somewhere else, besides NBC where they will be appreciated.

• May says:

I really liked Whitney as well. I knew it was doomed months ago when they pulled it from the schedule for months. After seeing this happen time and time again the writing was on the wall. Still I have to say it is upsetting to think I was right in this regards. Usually I love being right!

49. Arna Perry says:

I like Whitney – sorry to see it go!