Fox's Touch Down, Cancelled After Two Seasons

TOUCH_203-SCA13_0099Touch‘s season finale this Friday will in fact be its series finale.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Returning? What’s Axed?

Fox has cancelled the ever-evolving parenting drama-turned-save the world thriller after two seasons, sources confirm for TVLine. (A network spokesman was not available for comment.)

The Kiefer Sutherland-fronted series opened Season 2 in February with 3.8 million total viewers and a 1.0 demo rating, down 20 and 23 percent from its freshman finale. At last tally, its penultimate hour did 2.22 mil and a 0.6.

1. Mike says:

I did not see this one coming…. :/

• Interred Ferguson says:

I bet Jake knew……and, of course, Amelia certainly did…….

• Pat Goldberg says:

I was suerprised too. Thought they would give it another season. Its said there were 2 seasons but I did not notice that it was 2 seasons. Had very few episodes and many seemed to get postponed somehow

• Daniel Civco says:

Show made you think … and wonder. Complex interwoven storylines. Loved them ! Maybe too much for typical viewing audience … and network programmers. I will miss being “out of Touch”.

• Daniel Civco says:

Addendum … as much as I love Kiefer and looked (look) forward to “24″, he was the wrong choice for this role. Tom Hanks would’ve been a better Martin.

2. Duke says:

The immediate next step in this story probably includes the words “movie,” “24,” and “the.”

3. Kresh says:

Fun while it lasted :)

4. ajintexas says:

Thank God. Now we can get that 24 movie we have been waiting for lol

5. DreamRose311 says:

Bummed, but I haven’t been enjoying it this year near as much as the first season.

• miki says:

i agree 100%. the first season was more widely interconnected stories and the second focused to much IMHO on the evil corp vs martin not on the world wide scale the first season did. either way ill still miss it very much ;(

6. ali robinson says:

That sucks and what do yo expect when you put it on fridays. Fox is stupid for doing that.

7. Tina says:

That’s what happens when shows come on whenever. They need to go back to coming on in fall and running to spring!

• Walt says:

Exactly! Thank you! I thought I was weird and the only one that noticed this. It no longer works like clockwork where you anticipate the next season. TV series now go a few shows, stop, wait a year, start, stop, then unpredictably restart. It’s tiresome and stupid and no consistency or flow or buildup to hold your audience. I just don’t get it anymore.

• Walt says:

Why do they do that anyway?

• Denise says:

I agree.. that sucks when they start and stop etc…and then they change the day of the show when they feel they have a following audience, so they can put some price of crap in that time slot just figuring people will have nothing to watch in that time slot since they jjst moved a show they have been religiously watching, only for some people to not follow the show to its siberianSiberian time slot and then the loyal veiwersviewers get screwed.

8. Moonlight4evr says:

Fox did not treat Touch well at all. They never promoted it and then moved it to Friday. Why don’t they cans all those stupid reality music shows that are horrible.

At least now hopefully KS can concentrate in 24 movie. Thanks to all the cast and crew of Toxh for an amazing show.

• BigChad says:

Sorry, but this is incorrect. Touch go so many damn commercials I loathed the show having never watched an episode. The excessive promotion and frequent longer-than-30-seconds commercials drove me away from it as fast as the boring premise would.

Keifer and his catatonic child was a go-nowhere premise that you’d be hard-pressed to find someone to give a darn about.

It was only amazing in how long it remained on the air, and I’d imagine that can be attributed to contractual guarantees attached to Keifer, so as not to make him look like a failure.

• bobbie says:

It wasn’t boring. It was a very good show. It took a bit of intellect to get it, though.

• Bev Kennedy says:

I agree with you. loved the show and also believe it appeals to those who appreciate an intellectual plot. The mindless reality shows appeal to individuals who don’t want to think.

• Lucas says:

Totally agree with you there. It sucks that the only thing that networks keep around is these fake reality shows. And people actually believe that most of them are not scripted or at least forced in a certain direction by the producers. Reality TV is the same no matter what show you are watching. We have all seen them and they are boring. You take good shows like this, 24, Saving Hope, Huge, and so that that actually have meaning and content and the major networks flop them to the side after one season, but Survivor, American Idol, The Amazing Race, and so on all have 97 seasons under their belt. If you’ve seen one episode of survivor, you’ve seen them all. There is no new twist or anything that hasn’t been done before or that would make the show any more exciting, but yet we Americans like mindless drones keep watching them.

• graccee 1 grace says:

I agree totally! How does Big Brother, Batchelor, Wife Swap and all the other reality shows stay on when you have a great show with great actors and writers like Touch that actually causes you to think gets cancelled?

• Rudi Bergner says:

if you want a series more fresh than Touch … well lets wait at least 10 years… there will only be crappy series…i can assure you that this wont happen… if they plan theyr things by the ratings.. lol the only fresh you will ever see is crappy series of cops kills crimes… and that isnt fresh but thats what everyone will see, mainly because thats the only thing that they broadcast so its a littel complicated to see other stuff… so more fresh than Touch? it will be hard… very hard, and they are idiots… because touch was a really great series and the way it finished let an entire universe to create ahead…

• Tati says:

The commercials built suspense. People did get into it. All it took was some thinking and putting pieces together, maybe you shouldve gave it more than one try. Dont be a dumb unintelligent person like half the rest of the world, because you couldnt grasp the awesomeness and intelligence that Touch involved. This was my all time fave show and it cant be replaced in my books.

• lily says:

You are so right it was awesome. Only dumb people with no brains can’t understand what this amazing show was about. I love that it was unique from all the crap you see now on tv also if you don’t like commercials there is something called a dvr where you can record shows and fast forward all the commercials. Clever isn’t it

• Trepessa says:

The topic is Touch and not Sutherland’s other enterprises and shouldn’t be compared but Fox has made this mistake before. I watched this series after the fact. Never heard of it and why, like another series they had on they didn’t advertise it well. I liked both seasons. It was action packed, father and son bonding. I have worked with autistic children and frankly what the story told showed this boy was not autistic. He was diagnosed as such because not knowing what he was about that was the only logical diagnosis. Granted he had too much sensory input but he was gifted and telepathic and that is why he didn’t talk. I think he would have more if the series would have continued. The real star of the show was the actor playing Jake. He should have gotten an acting award. I was shocked when I saw it on Netflix that they could cancel a show of this caliber but all I could think was it was over the heads of some of the young people. The actor that played the Hasidic Jewish man was awesome; good characterization. The Rebbe who came probably didn’t make sense to some. He is a Rabbi who is head of a certain interest of his faith, in this case the 36 and the God sequence. There were flashbacks to make the connections. It as a very metaphysical show and I loved it. It was a big mistake cutting the show. They should have put it on a better day and really advertised it because I know many who would have watched it if they had known it existed. The show wasn’t the problem, the station was.

9. BrokenDestinies says:

What a shame. They’ll keep lame cartoons on but get rid of a real drama. Shame on you Fox. Keep showing lame shows like American Idol. I won’t be watching.Touch was an interesting show too. Sad.

10. schmed says:

Sad but expected. The show was much better this season, evolving from a slack new-agey celebration of silly coincidences to a better-paced action show with a clear narrative thread. It also helped (a lot) that Maria Bello joined the show (even if they stupidly killed off her character).

• Dayna says:

I actually feel the opposite. Although it may have been a little New-Agey, I enjoyed the premise of the first season, with the interlocking stories. I was actually excited for Season 2 until I realized that this unique little show had become just another tired action drama, and not a particularly interesting one at that. Saddened but not surprised.

• Leni Sommer says:

Exactly!

• Cliff says:

I too felt the second season of the show strayed from what made it unique and likeable. The whole idea of destiny causing people’s lives to TOUCH was lost in season two. It was really interesting to see how the stories in the episode connected to one another. In season one, Jakes introductory speeches and summations was one of the best parts of the show. In the first season the characters were so interesting, and you really ended up caring about them. The second season was very dark. I stuck with it through the second season but was not going watch season three unless it returned to original format and feel of the first season.

• jenna says:

what I liked about this season was that 1/2 of Kiefer’s dialogue wasn’t yelling ‘Jake’ every 20 seconds! Bummed about the cancellation though :( I can’t say I’m surprised given the low ratings but it was a show that weaved this really interesting web, so intricate with each character and situation somehow relating to one another

• MC says:

Lol. The first season was really annoying to me, but the new direction of the second season was quite compelling. Touch was ultimately destined for a short run, though. I think they explored most of its potential in this second season.

• ~ZZZoey~ says:

OMG yes, thank God they stopped the Jake! Jake! Jake! That drove me nuts. I did like the first season a bit better, but I still liked it a lot this season.
        It kept me interested the entire time.
        I hate when they move the day it’s on and take weeks off in between…What do they expect to happen to the ratings?

• Trepessa says:

I hate to tell you but this was NOT new age thought. I’m a spiritualist among other things and the ideas expressed were far older. This is a very metaphysical/mystical/religious oriented show but most don’t know about a lot of mysticism and other things because it hasn’t been their interest. The show was sheer genius.

11. Melanie says:

Figured this would happen, but Touch is a wonderful show. Too bad Fox didn’t do better at supporting and promoting it.

• Ellen says:

And it’s SO UNUSUAL for FOX to do a lousy job at supporting and promoting a great show! Firefly, Sarah Connor Chronicles, Drive. . . .it’s an endless list.

12. Roel says:

Enjoyed the first season, haven’t saw the second season yet, but planning to. Too bad they canceled this show and not AI or something like that. :( Bummer but hoping for 24 movie :)

13. Eric says:

Not surprised in the least. I only ever watched the first few episodes of season one way back when it first premiered, but it was a reasonably good show.

14. Kat says:

This REALLY really sucks for me because honestly? I enjoyed Season 2 SO MUCH MORE than Season 1… it kept me on the edge of my seat every time I was watching it, and especially the storyline with the murderer I was always like OMG… I was really into it…

Now I’m just HOPING or rather praying it won’t end with an evil cliffhanger that will never cleared up, but I fear it will… and that’s gonna make it even worse…

If the show was on another channel like CW, it would have been hit material, but for Fox the ratings suck, so no surprise there, but it still makes me sad…
    I wonder if it was “too complicated” for people, because watching this show people would have to think and use their brains… which people obviously don’t like very much… they rather watch reality dokus where they don’t have to use their brains… *shrugs*

• Scott says:

All the networks seem to be cancelling shows that make prople think!!! Overall, people don’t want to think anymore….Between this and the cancellation of Zero Hour, there is nothing on the major networks that makes people use their minds. We are STUCK in this realm of reality shows, like American Idol, America’s Got Talent, Dancing with The Stars, etc….mindless TV shows that do nothing but waste our time!!!

• We gave up on network TV and cable. We got Netflix streaming live for less than $10.00 per month which gives us endless supply of commercial free movies from around the world and reruns of weekly shows. This is totally user friendly. They have you rate shows and then make recommendations based on your ratings. Usually television shows are the entire season, so if you find something you love you can see it’s episodes through in order on consecutive night. We have saved lots of money every month and enjoy TV so much more. BBC has made many outstanding shows for years.

Give yourself that gift of a totally new experience. Get Netflix streaming on your TV.

15. kirads09 says:

I loved season 1 of Touch. Season 2 I have hung in there but not so enamoured. I loved the mind blowing heart warming connections S1 – even international ones. The Happy Pop twins! I think Touch should have kept with that – it made the show unique and special.. I haven’t enjoyed S2 because it has all been filled running from Aster Corps, Guillermo, death and violence.
    It comes as no surprise to me that it didn’t make it. Neither does bringing back 24 in a limited way.

16. Fernanda says:

thank god I never want to see this show, Tim Kring as show runner, please no, the man ruined HEROES

17. scg says:

:( Saw that coming, it just wasn’t the same as the first season where every episode ended with me in tears. Lol. Good tears…. but tears.

18. bobbie says:

I liked it.

19. kirads09 says:

The one who I think deserves the most Kudos is David Mazouz who did such an incredible job as Jake. ♥

• Trepessa says:

I agree with you and should have if he didn’t won an acting award. He was awesome. He portrayed what some thought was autism and I don’t but it was like it because he was gifted and telepathic. Doesn’t matter he did the stemming really well. Not all autistic children hate to be touched. It depends on what sensory is involved. I had many as clients that loved to be held but were autistic and I have seen the rocking many times but Jake transcended all of that and it was for another reason he acted as he did. He did a very fine job on his part. I liked all the actors they chose to have and Mr. Sutherland did a great job. Really not a 24 watcher. Not my kind of show.

20. CAM says:

Sorry to read this. The show grew on me slowly. Hopefully the final episode isn’t a cliffhanger.

21. Sharon Hallett says:

Sorry it has been cancelled as I enjoyed it though they should not have killed off Maria Bello’s character!

22. Bradley Adams says:

This is a shame, because the second season was much better than the first.

23. Jacqueline says:

I like it

24. Sandi says:

Ridiculous!!! This is one of the best shows on TV. i would schedule my Friday night around this time!! I even jointed Huluplus because I had to miss it a couple times due to prior engagements. Why in the world would they cancel something so loved by so many??? Why not cancel Family guy…the Simpsons or some other no-nonsense show? Good job Fox because you are slowly, but surely losing me and many other viewers with decisions like this.

25. Amy says:

I think the main problem is that there are too few us with brains and smarts that actually “get” these shows. American Dad, Family Guy, and other such toilet humor, plus the “reality” shows all cater to those who are too lazy to really think. So we lose shows like Touch and Zero Hour because our society is getting dumber and dumber.

26. Paul says:

Have enjoyed this show from day one. My kids even enjoy it. As many have written, it is a show that makes you think and certainly keeps you on your toes. Season 2 definitely picked it up a notch. Great story lines. I hope FOX reconsiders this decision and keeps it going. At the least, I hope they end the series properly.

• Amy says:

Yes, that’s my fear–that it’ll leave us hanging with no closure. I hope they had an inkling ahead of time that they might be cancelled and wrote the story accordingly. Kind of like The Event, not that I was keen on that ending, but at least it was an ending.

27. Chuck says:

I actually enjoyed the premise of season 1 better. The idea that things being connected across the world to come up with a specific out come was inspirational. I enjoyed this season’s storyline but I think it should have been more like the ‘X Files’. The underlying story with the weekly events remaining intact. And shame on Fox for putting it on Friday night were few shows survive.

28. neotnec says:

EVERY time I enjoy a show it gets cancelled. Not all of us watch reality shows or silly comedies. Some of us enjoy cerebral shows that make us think.

29. erin m says:

Am so upset to see Touch go. I really enjoyed the premise. This gets cut but idiocy stays on the air. *eye roll*

30. Suzanne says:

Good,, I’m ready for another season of 24. One of the best shows on TV so far

31. Phoenix Jones says:

I agree with the comments that season 2 turned intoa different show completely. We were never told what got Guillermo started (was it Avram??). Are the 36 replaced, because a lot of them were murdered.

Killing Danny Glover in S1 and then Maria Bello in S2 were low points in the show. Not to mention that Bello’s death made no sense at all (why on Earth would Martin leave her just yards away from Aster corp labs???).

But watching the finale, I’m torn. It was so ludicrous and implausible I just couldn’t take it seriously. Putting Martin in a Jack Bauer-style interrogation scene?? Really?? The whole episode was a major disappointment.

Season 1 brought a sense of wonder as we got very unique and engaging show. Season 2 brought a lot more plot holes and leaps in logic as it became more like 24…

32. Phoenix Jones says:

Oh and btw- Zero Hour was TERRIBLE

33. Bobby Jo says:

Nooooooooo! I hope this isn’t true :(

34. Chris says:

It was sad to hear that they would cancel Touch, though I have missed a few episodes in the past. It was a great show and I hate to see it go! :-(

(Let’s hope ’24′ comes back- either in a movie or series!)

35. Val says:

Hopefully Fox will read the comments here and reconsider their decision to cancel a really decent and interesting program. (Touch)

36. I think I am the person that should never like a television show and I certainly should not tell anyone else about it. How interesting the plot, how great the cast is, how much the story line opens up the immagination. All the what ifs and could be’s. To much dialogue ? Can’t identify with ordinary viewer ? Unbelievable story Line ? No sexual undertones and leading man/lady fantasy ? If this is what TV is come to it is no wonder I watch so much PBS….Cause if I like it, it is cancelled. Maybe I should start liking Splash, and people jumping on floating buoys and trying to avoid getting tossed in the water, then there is the 25 amateur talent shows for singing, dancing, magic, puppetering and the new one that is coming on next fall, “so you think you can be a prize fighter ?”…I need to get a new book.

37. Rich says:

A fantastic show! I looked forward to every episode. The action was compelling even though at times it appeared far-fetched. But it kept me on the edge of my seat throughout. I enjoyed the intertwining of the different story lines in Season 1. That was very clever. Season 2 confined the drama and story-lines to certain characters mostly but the writing was superb. The season finale wrapped up the story well and resolved all the loose ends. But I am sorry to see it go.
    Great job writers. Hope to see your work on another series.

38. Tati says:

Fox producers, creators, writers, etc. the ones who cancelled touch, need to sit down and read all these comments and many more posted on numerous sites on the web and really reconsider this decision. Its all about the money to them, they really dont care at all about the small but still there fanbase that Touch had. It breaks my heart to see this show go.

39. Leni Sommer says:

I didn’t like the direction that Touch went this season. I thought the sub-plot with the traveling cell phone absolutely brilliant–like The Butterfly Effect, it showed how we were all inter-connected. This season, they dropped that altogether and turned it into yet another Les Miseralbles/The Fugitive clone. And IMHO they got the whole thing with the 38 totally wrong. They are not The Uniquely Talented, they are The Righteous Ones. Those whose souls are so pure, so good, that the world continues to exist for their sake. They are kind, and gentle, and invariably do the right thing without hesitation, not for any worldly or next life reward, but simply because it is the right thing to do. And if you were to suggest to one that he or she is one, that person would find the idea ridiculous–thinking themselves unworthy.

40. Karen L Luke says:

They should have dropped Idol before dropping Touch!! Those execs are smokin crack!!

41. Eileen says:

Saddened to hear this news. Always loved watching this show…it was so unique in today’s TV world!!!! Could you reconsider????

42. Dean says:

I enjoyed both seasons. Season 1 gave you little clues about things going on in the background and 2 gave you some meat for what there was. But I don’t think the story was quite finished. We got a quickie finish, the bad guys all rounded up, but I felt that there was more to tell. Even the evil president of AstorCor potentially wasn’t done. Plus, yeah we got the numbers done and all that but there is a lot of story left.

All this so 24 can come back…sucks.

43. Six says:

Gutted. A show that made you think about why we are here, how things work. Inspires you to fill in the gaps using your own intellect rather than being force fed by the fat cats trying to make an extra buck. Beautifully created by a genius imagination, I hope Tim continues in his work and doesn’t give in to ratings pressure. Look out in the future for a song called Saints & Scholars by a band named Monophobix – inspired by this show.

44. Cole says:

The show had all the wrong things done to it. I kept track of the ratings and lost hope for the show continuing. A Friday timeslot, using the second (half)season as a mid-season replacement, a hiatus for the show. That’s not how to attract rumours. While I get the hate for the violent turn the series took, is it any surprise? As great as an intelligent show is, it still needs a very clear plot, which the first Season didn’t have. Season 1 was episodic with an underlying thread, 2 built towards a clear goal. And imagine for a moment that this stuff is real, that there are in fact 36 magical people who can save the world with numbers. Would real life be the saccharine coincidence-laden world depicted in Season 1? Or greedy corporations working to take advantage of said magical people for profit? The existence of a murderous religious zealot with a link to them is a maybe, but I’ll let that one slide because Guillermo was the most compelling newcomer in my opinion. I absolutely love the lingering terror in the episodes that built towards the mid-way Slasher episode, which seemed a heck of a lot like a Halloween episode.

45. Char says:

Sorry to see Touch canceled. I loved the show but was disappointed when Lucy was killed right after being reunited with Amelia though. I agree with many of you that I’d rather see some of the reality shows 8 ridiculous cartoon shows such as Simpsons & Family Guy canceled. Sad too have good drama shows canceled

46. lori says:

I’m so bummed that they cancelled my favorite show! What a drop off! What a let down! I wonder what the show will be replaced with…probably yet another stupid nonreality reality show.

47. Paw Athi says:

why i’m not surprised?

48. yeshua4life7 says:

Truly disappointed , but not suprised with FOXS horrible promomting of the series. The new way tv shows are sporatically aired and just how are world is becoming more and more unhealthy and detached does not make for a show thats( intelligent and is about human connection and something deep and meaningful not
    superficial), to be able to survive. I mean fox couldnt even give it 2hrs to at least rap
    up, im really upset about it, but people are shallow unfortunately and enjoy shallow and mindless tv like the simpsons which I
    renamed the simpletons its amazing that
    such a horrible show survives.Yet an
    amazing show like touch gets cancelled.
    How a show like touch that deals with
    connection , the fibonacci sequence and
    the golden ratio which are true facts that
    apply to everything in nature around us that
    has major profound meaning, does not
    interest people is just sad and quite mind
    boggling. I really seriously hope people
    wake from there coma’s and catitonic state of stupid indulgence fixes , because I cant
    stand the garbage on TV. Yet thats all we
    seem to get lately and it really stinks.

49. Deb says:

Because we have so many people who have no thoughts beyond themselves and garbage like “merican idle,” a wonderful series like this gets canned. Why don’t the PTB get some educated people for Neilson!

50. A says: