London Calling! Elementary Crosses the Pond for Revealing Season 2 Premiere

Elementary Filming LondonCBS’ Sherlock Holmes is headed back to the motherland.

Elementary will film its Season 2 premiere on location in London, the Eye network announced Thursday.

RELATED | Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Fave Series’ Endgames, Including Elementary, Criminal Minds, Castle, The Office and More!

In the episode, Holmes — who now resides in New York — is called back to London to revisit an old case and must face his past in the process. Meanwhile, Watson learns more about her partner’s mysterious life and the company he used to keep.

“We couldn’t be more excited to have this opportunity to see Sherlock’s old stomping grounds and take a closer look at a life that, until now, we’ve only been able to glimpse through the lens of his recovery,” creator Robert Doherty said in a statement. “By meeting old friends and revisiting prior cases, Watson will gain even more insight into Holmes. She’ll have to keep up with a Sherlock who is both more comfortable in his surroundings and even bolder in testing the limits of those around him.”

RELATED | CBS Renews Elementary and 13 Other Series

In tonight’s penultimate hour of the hit series’ freshman season, Natalie Dormer (Game of Thrones) begins her three-episode arc as Sherlock’s only love, Londoner Irene Adler.

1. And here come the CBS Sherlock haters to complain how this show is going to copy more origins from BBC Sherlock simply because they’re simply filming in London.

• Delia says:

I love both shows. I don’t get the whole, “To love one you must hate the other” mindset. If I can walk and chew gum at the same time, why can’t I enjoy both Sherlocks?

• Epidrone says:

Same here. I like Sherlock, but honestly I’ve been eh about the show lately if only because the fans are so hostile and elitist. Not all, I’m sure, but it’s so unpleasant as I truly love Elementary. Anyone who dismisses it as a cheap knockoff clearly hasn’t seen the show. It’s not at all Sherlock, and Jonny Lee Miller is not Cumberbatch, Apples and oranges. Both excellent, although to be honest I actually prefer JLM’s Sherlock. The emotion he brings is kinda untapped in other adaptations.

2. Epidrone says:

No kidding. Sherlock fans think that the BBC invented Sherlock Holmes.

This made me squeal in delight. I love this show so much.

3. Michelle says:

As long as we see 221B and meet Mycroft, I’ll be a happy person. This is really cool!!!

4. bill says:

I think both versions are great. It is interesting to see the way both Jonny Lee Miller and Benedict Cumberpatch play this character.

It is an amazing coincidence since they did the play Frankenstein on stage together and took turns playing the roles of the the doctor and his creation.

5. lyn says:

I hope somewhere along the way Sherlock hits a salon for a decent clean up. He looks like a thug.

6. mm says:

Pathetic wannabes.

• Jellybean says:

Ah, Sherlock trolls. It only took 20 minutes.

• Emily says:

You know, I love Cumberbatch’s Sherlock, because he’s just such a wonderful actor, but I really like how Liu’s Watson has connected with Miller’s incarnation. I often feel like Freeman’s Watson has no significance. I like how Elementary’s Sherlock is dependent, in a lot of ways, on Watson. And you know, with BBC’s Sherlock being written as asexual and often childish and sociopathic, it’s a nice change to see a more worn-down adult Sherlock that is offbeat but very human. Anyway, I know if BBC Sherlock had 22 episodes a season, it would get old quick, so just giving credit where credit’s due.

7. Brian says:

Cumberbatch is the ultimate Holmes to me, absolutely and the writing is phenomenal. However, I really enjoy Miller’s Holmes as well. And as much as I was turned off by the thought of a female Watson, Lucy won me over. It was interesting how the writers introduced her, and made sense how it all progressed to the point where she decided to stay and work with him. The characters are true to the original in their value system. That’s what I like. Wouldn’t miss either version of Sherlock. Am looking forward to the visit to London.

8. Jellybean says:

I wonder if we will meet Mycroft! That would be awesome. And it’d be neat to see Sherlock open up a bit and see all that through Watson’s eyes. Get them out of the brownstone. It’ll make for some fun character development. I like how these characters basically live in each others’ pockets, but to see Sherlock’s old friends, etc, will be awesome.

9. Jellybean says:

This will be fantastic. I love that these characters basically live in each other’s pocket, but to allow Watson (us) to see this insight into Sherlock will be so cool. I don’t know when this show became my favorite thing on TV, but it has. I just pre-ordered the DVDs on Amazon. Officially hooked.

10. Cherry says:

You can’t compare every single adaptation of Sherlock. It’s an obviously profitable concept and I like it when people do different interpretations of the character.

BBC version is so different to the American one, so stop comparing.
    I love the addition of Lucy Liu as Watson, it’s an inspired choice.

11. Jo Vance says:

I didn’t care for Elementary at first, being such a Sherlock fan, but I have come to really enjoy it and how different it is from Sherlock. There is room for both interpretations of Holmes; I adore London, so it is great that they will be there to start Season 2.

12. I’ve loved both shows and I am happy to see Sherlock fans being civil here, it’s refreshing to not get bombarded for saying you like the show. London will be amazing in Elementary’s setting seeing as Sherlock left in disgrace, will it change how he acts? We’ll see!

13. Katie says:

YES! I look forward to them shooting in London! The finale was amazing. I have been bewitched by Irene Adler and will be truly overjoyed if she appears in season 2.