CBS' Criminal Minds Renewed for Season 9 After Contract Resolution

Get More: Renewals

Criminal Minds Season 9 Renewal DelayThere has been a meeting of the Criminal Minds, and as a result, the CBS drama has been renewed for Season 9, the network announced on Thursday evening, with all seven main cast members (and showrunner Erica Messer) set to return.

RELATED | Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Fave Series’ Endgames, Including Criminal Minds, CSI and More

Last week, CBS and producer ABC Studios tendered their final offers to Thomas Gibson, Joe Mantegna, Shemar Moore, Kirsten Vangsness and A.J. Cook. Gibson and Mantegna were reportedly the first to be close to signing on for the new season; Moore’s negotiations were said to go on longer, while Vangsness and Cook rejected their offers and banded together to seek salaries closer to that of their male co-stars.

According to Deadline, all of the aforementioned five have signed new two-year deals with the crime drama, and though Cook and Vangsness did not achieve pay equal to the Criminal men, they did receive significant raises. (Matthew Gray Gubler and Jeanne Tripplehorn were not up for renewal this spring.)

Comments (112)

• Great news!!!!!!!

Comment by Dav – May 9, 2013 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Considering the ladies were making less than – LESS THAN! – half of what the guys did, this is awesome news.

Comment by Annie – May 9, 2013 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • they should make less. Not being sexist but because those men have real movie and TV credits.

Comment by Nick C – May 9, 2013 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well after 8 seasons I’d say the ladies now have experience and credits too. And AJ Cook had credits. Shemar Moore makes more than them too, did he have credits before? I don’t think much but I could be wrong.

Comment by Cas – May 9, 2013 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You would indeed be wrong. He has been in the industry for years. Check out his soap opera TV cred…. unless you think working on a soap isn’t credential enough.

Comment by Mamacita – May 9, 2013 06:59 PM PDT
          • Yes Morgan had credits before this show and I am not just talking about a soap opera either he has done several movies before this show to name a couple he did motives, also a movie called brothers it might not be movies that everyone like but just putting it out there he had credentials before the show so he didn’t come in raw but me personally I love everyone besides the lady who took Emily place.

Comment by nina barksdale – May 23, 2013 05:49 AM PDT
        • REALLY???? They are all doing the same acting, and each character is featured in each episode.

Oh please —-real experience ??? Those two ladies are the heart of the show!

What have you been smokin”???

Comment by Dahlenk – May 10, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • you’re the one who needs to put down the pipe. Just because you like these actresses and they’ve been on this show does not compare to the three guys up for new contracts. That’s just a fact. Its called IMDB. check it out.

Comment by Nick C – May 11, 2013 10:22 AM PDT
          • “heart of the show”lol

Comment by Nick C – May 11, 2013 10:23 AM PDT
          • I totally agree with you, Dahlenk. It was bad enough when Paget (sp?) left. Shemar Moore is a cool, sexy guy and all that, but what makes it for me is the dynamic between him and Kirsten Vangsness and the stuff she comes out with, with or without him! This is TV – people don’t watch because of who’s got the most experience – they watch because of who they like! That’s what keeps them tuned in. That’s what makes the ratings. And equal acting jobs should pay equally. That may not be how it is, but how it is isn’t necessarily how it should be.

Comment by Shorehon – May 17, 2013 04:06 PM PDT
        • AJ Cook has a decent filmography, having appeared in several films and TV shows.

Comment by darcy the slutty twin – May 10, 2013 11:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • they should be making the same or close to it….on the show they are just as important as the men in some ways even more….this isn’t about who does what and where it’s about equality among the genders in one show….

Comment by Patricia – March 6, 2014 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wait just one minute- They still need Matthew Gray Gubler and Robin Wright

Comment by bill dunn – August 12, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My entire family 13 large loves this show, as do most of my friends, we in fact have not just seen every show, every year, but have watched many over and over. Having said this, I wish someone would listen when I say, they need to know what a bad job they have done in filling Emily’s shoes, I liked El, I loved Emily, I liked very much the blond that filled in sort of when JJ was gone, the killers daughter, I forget her name, but she was great, I even liked Jordan and if you would even use the man you have playing the current Emily want to be’s husband, he would be great, he can act and would work well. But someone needs to wake up in the producer dept. This woman is so bad, I watch the show every week, and I still can not make myself remember her name. So please don’t let her bring down one of the greatest shows of all time, this is not one but 13 plus people speaking, poll it I feel it will be much, much more. Kill this Emily want to be off and get someone in with class who is younger and can ACT, this woman STINKS!!! Otherwise we love the show and are glad you are trying!!! Georgia Salva

Comment by Georgia Salva – January 1, 2014 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I to love this show to death and back again….I own every season ever made I’m saving up to buy season 9 the minute it’s out….I have watched every marathon every episode hundreds of times along with all the special features….it is in fact the best crime show a producer/writer has ever come up with to date….personally I did’t like Giddeon and he himself had stated in an interview “doing the show was the worst decisions I had ever made” I didn’t like El she was always too into herself…she was a tad too cocky I think….I absolutely love Prentis she’s amazing and she was able to keep it real she didn’t in any way look fake….the blonde where her dad was a serial killer I can’t remember her name either I didn’t like she always seemed to shy away from the crime and off doing her own thing that in one episode almost got her killed she was just too child like always needing taking care of….I did like Jordan and hope they bring her back in a guest spot or something….but as for Blake I like her and I don’t….she seems pushy and other times seems alright…I have a problem with those who think they are always right and she reminds me of those types of people…J.J is the bomb she can really kick some serious butt now and I like it…she’s come a long way from the gofer girl to who she is now….I love Garcia she’s my hero,,,she always loves to see the colors and good in people even the ones who do bad…she’s like a kid who’s all grown up but kept her innocents….she rocks….I like Morgan ya he’s hot and I follow him on twitter and maybe if I was a lot younger he’d be my main man lol I love Reid but he’d scare me…so smart my daughter calls him adorkable and I think that suites him and he likes it to lol….Hotch is a serious man and a great leader and Rossi is my love he’s romantic and knows his stuff and is gentle in stating the obvious….I’m sad Strauss is gone she was a pain in everyone’s side but she kept them together and now it’s like they have no leader other than Hotch…

Comment by Patricia – March 6, 2014 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The “Killer’s daughter ” was Rachel Nichols- fan backlash ditched her- might have been a bad move- she just starred in Continuum and looks like an up and coming star.

Comment by Mastro – April 8, 2014 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So much tv news in such a short time frame ahhhhhh

Comment by DreamRose311 – May 9, 2013 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had no doubts at all that the show would be renewed. I wasn’t certain about the actors though. I’m happy they are all returning.

Comment by Mel – May 9, 2013 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In case people haven’t figured it out yet…CBS just gave us a major *SPOILER*! This obviously means none of the main characters die. So….who dies in the finally then?

Comment by Jax – May 9, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe it’s Strauss, but to say that she is a very beloved character like they have been…, not many people like that character, I do, I like her, but I know there’s a lot of people who can’t stand her.
      I’m happy for the ladies receiving a pay raise, they deserve it, but it sucks that they’re still making less than MGG and SM.

Comment by francisca – May 9, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t recall ever reading it was a “beloved character.” All I’ve ever seen is “series regular” or “long time cast member.” Both of those would fit Strauss. The only other person who *might* fit is Kevin but I don’t think of him as a series regular. He’s more of an occasional guest star.

Comment by Max – May 9, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • what about will? he is a long time cast member so it could be him. although they did do the jj family drama thing in last seasons finale so that probably wont happen.

Comment by Alan – May 9, 2013 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’m hoping it’s Beth. She’s not a regular, but, for me, she has put a real damper on the show since showing up at the end of Season 8. IMO, she’s a bad fit for Criminal Minds (bad storyline/bad chemistry). Bellamy Young needs to devote all of her time and energy to Mellie Grant – her character on Scandal – where she’s the best I’ve ever seen her. Love Criminal Minds! Love Bellamy Young! Hey writers – let’s fix this!

Comment by Dixie – May 10, 2013 06:13 AM PDT
        • I remember reading it in one of the first spoilers about the finale. Long time ago, I can’t remember where tho.

Comment by francisca – May 9, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I heard something about how “a major character will die” recently. So if we’re going by that I’d have to think it’s Strauss, or, as Alan suggests, maybe Will, since, out of all the team members’ significant others, he’s had the most notable, recurring presence over the years (that I can recall, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong).
          I like both of those characters-I think Strauss provides a good foe of sorts for the team, and Will and JJ have a lovely relationship. So it’d be a shame to see either one of them go (and I don’t want Henry to lose one of his parents). But knowing that it’s not one of the team members themselves does make me breathe a huge sigh of relief.

Comment by Angela – May 9, 2013 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I agree about Beth she doesn’t fit Aaron needs someone like Emily mayb now that she’s in London they can become a couple always wanted those two to get together.

Comment by Sylvia – May 30, 2013 12:20 PM PDT
    • lol jax i didn’t even think of that until reading your comment! must be someone who is recurring like strauss.

Comment by chloe – May 9, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I really really really hope it’s not JJ’s husband Will.

Comment by Cas – May 9, 2013 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They just said Dr. Reed’s contract is up!
      !! He is a main character and will leave this season.

Comment by tonya harris – May 21, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope not love him can’t afford to lose another person on the show that really matters. They already have one that can go, but none of the people that has been there for the last 6 seasons take the new lady I repeat but I don’t think it will be Reed. Listen writers since she will start the season give her a new job in japan somewhere and please bring someone who really, really fits.

Comment by Nina Barksdale – May 21, 2013 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Or take Beth and bring in someone who fits with Hotch/Thomas Gibson. Bellamy Young just doesn’t cut it in this role.

Comment by Dixie – May 22, 2013 05:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • True she doesn’t fit either she does very well on scandal, but the other lady who took Emily spot does not fit either they have 2 that can go then. I just wish somebody would listen to the fans of the show its a chance that we might just know what we are talking about.

Comment by nina barksdale – May 22, 2013 06:40 AM PDT
          • The fact on multiple articles u reapeat the same beth hate many times is getting silly. U say u hate her coz shehas no chemistry with tg. Well it takes mire than 3-4 2 minute cameos per season to build that. Rather than her going the should make her more prominant so we can see if they get it. U dont have chemistry with some1 instantly. And emily abd hotch will NEVER happen paget has left for good and there would be no point in a relationship we cant see develop. I actuallu like beth and want to see more of her to see how they develop . Blake should go. Have you even thought that the lack of chemistry I sau os not tjere between tg and beth could be his fault or both therw faults or just possibly coz pff bad writing from the writers. Oh wait no clearly you have school girl crush on tg so its never anyrhibg to to wotj him

Comment by Ben Fuller – June 18, 2013 11:33 PM PDT
          • Sorry for spelling mistakes my phone is hard to type on

Comment by Ben Fuller – June 18, 2013 11:35 PM PDT
          • Oh nina yeah coz writers should listen to fans who clearly have crush on thomas Gibson. And can not think without bias. Perhaps we the fans should trust the professional writer’s to write whats best fir wach character and each season.

Comment by Ben Fuller – June 18, 2013 11:40 PM PDT
  • This is AMAZING news! I’m so happy that Kirsten Vangsness and A.J. Cook signed on. And it’s a relief that they signed two-year-deals. Which means if CBS wants a 10th season they only have to sign on Matthew Gubler – who somehow has another contract rhythm.

Comment by Daniela – May 9, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You mean 6? Reid and the girls….have not seen recently….someone not a regular anymore?

Comment by lorna – May 9, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think they mean the five in question — Hotch, Morgan, JJ, Garcia and Rossi.

Comment by I Heart Damon Salvatore – May 9, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think they meant all 5 whose contracts were up (Gubler and Tripplehorn were already signed for next year)

Comment by Brendan – May 9, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • kinda Spoilierish onward:

But in the Maysweeps it is indicated that one from the BAU is a fatality and one is a possible.. maybe that’s why it’s 5 :S

Comment by Ella – May 9, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gubler is on a different contract rhythm then the rest of the main characters (other than Tripplehorn obviously, who has her own seeing as how this is her first year.)

Comment by Regal – May 9, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t watched for a season and a half. I’m glad they’re all coming back though. I need to stop watching so much shows and get caught up on my favorites.

Comment by Esaul – May 9, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess this means the girls got what they wanted? If so, I’m glad. They deserve it.

Comment by Regal – May 9, 2013 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • According to Deadline they didn’t get what they were asking for but they received a sizable increase.

Comment by Lola – May 9, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of them still die since 6 are on the team. I am thinking JJ

Comment by Kristen Thornton – May 9, 2013 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • First of all it’s 7 people on the team and second they are all signed for next year so no. None of them are dying.

Comment by Max – May 9, 2013 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *SPOILER*
    When news got out that “a series regular” was going to die this season I was pretty positive it wasn’t one of the main cast. I guess this confirms it now. I’m still betting it’s Strauss.

Comment by Lola – May 9, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they all signed again. who is gonna die in the finale?

Comment by celine – May 9, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “though Cook and Vangsness did not achieve pay equal to the Criminal men, they did receive significant raises” WTF? Still not equal to the men?

Comment by Linda – May 9, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think this is as much of a gender issue as people think it is. This was a negotiating tactic used to make CBS look bad and it worked. They got a major raise (which they deserved) and are very happy with it.

Comment by Max – May 9, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly. They each started at lower salaries long ago (in season 1 Vangsness wasn’t a series regular and JJ was a secondary character – and Cook also wasn’t in the pilot), so from that standpoint it makes sense that as everyone continued to get raises their numbers would lag behind the others who started higher. At the very least there are so many factors that go into an actor’s salary (many of which are unknown to the public), that I think it’s a bit of an unfair jump to accuse the network of something as serious as that kind of sexism.

Comment by Brendan – May 9, 2013 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well played, then, if that’s the case.
        Anywho, yay for them getting a bit of a raise, and YAY to them all coming back for another season! Very, VERY happy to hear that news :D.

Comment by Angela – May 9, 2013 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This makes me so happy, the show wouldn’t be the same without Garcia and J.J., although kinda lame they’re not being paid the same, can’t they can Tripplehorn and just give her money to the two of them?

Comment by Daniel – May 9, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hallaluya!!!! There are actually other people out there who don’t like this Tripperhorn woman. I’ve written to the show numerous times, telling them they need to get rid of her. She doesn’t fit in this show. Each of the characters: Hotch, Rossi, Morgan, J.J., Penelope and Spencer all have a very special relationship with each other. I’ve thought up until now that the writers were absolute genius’s. I’ve tried to like this new woman for a year and a half. It just gets worse and worse. She is patronizing, arrogant, and snobbish. She treats Penelope like dirt, and upstages Hotch and Rossi. If you pay attention to her character in the show, her arms are either crossed or her hands are on her hips, most of the time. She’s not a good actress. It looks like she practices in the mirror for hours getting this dumb “perplexed” look on her face. Yes, I know they won’t bring back Emily. But this woman is not the answer. She really doesn’t fit. I’m extremely disappointed in the writers. If she is in the show next season, I will stop watching it. That’s a BIG deal, because I am one of the shows’ biggest fans.

clp

Comment by Cindy – December 29, 2013 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yes yes yes!!!! my favourite show and i’m happy everyone will be back!!! as for the *spoiler’ tha everyone is talking about, i dont see how anything is spoiled, only five contracts were up for negotiations and all five have signer on as series regulars…. it says nothing about who or even if the casualty wil be some one on the main cast.. my money is on staruss….

Comment by rush86 – May 9, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the point is, they wouldn’t spend all that time and effort on negotiations if the actor was not returning next year. No, it doesn’t tell us who is going to die but it darn sure tells us who isn’t.

Comment by Jamie – May 9, 2013 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news this week. Glad they all resigned the show just wouldn’t be the same without the core cast. I still wish Paget would come back

Comment by Mia (@Mia_D666) – May 9, 2013 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I too wish that Paget would come back to the show! She fit in with the other characters way better than Ms. Tripplehorn. I don’t dislike Jeanne, I just think that Paget’s “chemistry” works better. I’m just happy that there’s going to be a season 9 as this has got to be one of my favorite shows right now. Creepy and disturbing at times, but excellent writing and casting!

Comment by Kelly – May 22, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good news, glad to see the gang back together.
    Still annoyed about the sexism. CM is one of the most successful shows on television, they can afford to pay their leads equally.

Comment by Cherry – May 9, 2013 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It has nothing to do with sexism. It’s not like CBS said “Oh, your women so we are paying you less”. These two actresses started out with a much lower salary (neither was a series regular when the show began.) When the time came to renegotiate their contracts they got raises but they still didn’t equal what the men got because those guys STARTED out much higher. Very few -and I mean VERY VERY few shows pay their ensemble cast members equally. That’s just the way Hollywood works.

Comment by Jamie – May 9, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree wholeheartedly! Annoyed at the sexism as the women are just as wonderful on the show as the men. If not better at times – meaning, Garcia (K. Vangsness)! She’s got some of the best lines of the show!

Comment by KellyLu – May 22, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now we have to get Paget Brewster aka Emily Prentiss back!

Comment by Jennifer – May 9, 2013 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • so she can leave again? no the character is done, in fact the character is done twice so let her go,

Comment by Alan – May 9, 2013 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to hear everyone is coming back. Does anyone think it could be beth that dies? She has become a regular on another show so maybe it could be her, although I can’t imagine the writers putting Hotch through that again.

Comment by Helen – May 9, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The press release said “a series regular” and she is not a regular.

Comment by Dav – May 9, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Removing Beth would be a positive action, IMO. Bellamy Young is incredible on Scandal, but she has no on-screen chemistry with TG or the other cast members. They don’t come any stronger than Hotch. He will recover; and if the writers insist upon boring us with a love interest, let them do a better job in casting this time and bring in an actress who plays well off of TG. Is Jenna Elfman (Dharma) available? Just kidding my fellow CM fans. Let’s find someone great for our beloved Hotch and Jack.

Comment by Dixie – May 10, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I seriously hate Bellamy Young in everything I’ve ever seen her in. I don’t know what it is, but I just don’t enjoy her performances. Ever. I’d love it if they’d just get rid of her. (Not that I’d love to have Beth killed off because it would probably *seriously* mess up Jack, but ugh.)

Comment by Suzi Satterfield – May 11, 2013 11:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Quite honestly, Suzi, aside from my repulsion for BY’s performance on CM, I never really bought the Beth/Jack friendship. Speaking from experience, children do not take that quickly to a replacement for a dead parent. And Jack is old enough and bright enough to understand what happened to his Mom. I never trusted Beth. She cozied up to Jack way too soon. It always made me feel uncomfortable. She needs to exit and quickly.

Comment by Dixie – May 13, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m so happy to see that there’s another person out there who agrees with me about Bellamy Young’s acting ability. It just isn’t there. I’m posting a reply because I’m a diehard Scandal fan, and I not only have absolutely no sympathy for the odious, emotionally draining character of Mellie Grant, I also can come up with a whole list of insanely talented actresses who really could have given the character the nuaces, emotional layers, and complexities that I certainly feel are lacking in BY’s performances. Perhaps any one of them could have given me a reason to actually root for Mellie, if not all of the time, maybe at least some of the time. As is with BY in the role, ” Sorry, no dice CHA CHA!

Comment by Kim Eisterhold – June 17, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *SPOILERS* (kind of…)

Details for the season finally from TVLine:
    ” “The [season] premiere introduced a hero in Alex Blake, and introduced a villain in The Replicator — and that was no accident,” Messer notes. “And as the team studies the behavior and does all the math, they realize it all ties back to his introduction to the audience.” All told, expect one fatality and one possible death — one of which is a character played by a series regular — as Season 8 ends.”

Comment by Jax – May 9, 2013 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Very interesting. So maybe two deaths. I suppose it is possible Beth is one of the people and maybe the “possible death” is Hotch. Which means a cliff hanger that is resolved next season when he comes back. I am curious where Blake fits in to all this however since they are clearly indicating some sort of link with her and the replicator.

Comment by Dav – May 9, 2013 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know people don’t like Beth but I hope this isn’t the case. Poor Hotch does not need to go through that again! They are really pointing the finger at Blake so I’m wondering if she might be the possible death.

Comment by Mel – May 9, 2013 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I had not read that part about Blake and the Replicator before. Now I am really curious as to what is going to happen.

Comment by Will – May 9, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The SPOILER report also mentioned Hotch’s Brother. I suppose he could be one of the Death’s as well but – as others have already stated – that would be another big blow to Hotch and I don’t think the writers would do that again.

Comment by Aimee – May 9, 2013 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I recall in Carbon Copy during the conversation between Reid and JJ in the beginning, Reid said that Strauss had allowed Blake to arrest the wrong person. Perhaps the Replicator is the man Blake wrongly arrested. That would make the Replicator blame Strauss and Blake since it seems that they are at the center of the matter. I think Strauss will probably be the one to die and maybe Blake will be kidnapped by the Replicator who intends to kill her for arresting him originally thus ruining his life. Glad the gang will be back next season. I can now have another 2 years of my weekly Thomas Gibson fix. He’s my drug of choice. LOL. He is so hot and adorable. Glad also that KV and AJ did at least receive close to what they wanted.

Comment by denise edwards – May 10, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Your theory about Strauss and Blake would be my guess, they might leave it open so we think Blake could die or others could be hurt while trying to take down the replicator but Strauss will probably the one being offed with her three unnamed kid being in the finale, and Blake will be the connection to replicator with him not showing up until she did. Background face Anderson could be involved somehow as well, but I don’t think any of the seven main characters are going to be the ones to die, unless CBS don’t uphold JT contract :/

Comment by Beth – May 11, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last season they said that a regular would be put in harms way and it turned out to be Will. Plus all the team members have signed contracts so they aren’t going to kill one of them off after all the drama with the contracts.

Comment by Helen – May 9, 2013 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s just wait and see, that is the beauty of it, to keep us all guessing

Comment by Kathy – May 9, 2013 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The ladies of “CM” deserve the same pay as the men. However, it’s really good that they’re making more money. The cast is together for two more years. I’m so happy about that!!!!! Penelope and JJ are so awesome. As a warning to CBS: Keep the ladies happy! “Criminal Minds” is such a great show! Last night’s episode was one of the best I’ve seen in years!

Comment by Regina Arieta – May 9, 2013 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The women should get equal pay for equal work ! Shame on the men for not standing with the women , and I use the word men loosely . Glad the show is still on , I enjoy watching it . Shame on the producers , how do they face the female members of there family .

Comment by Mike Meeks – May 10, 2013 02:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parity =/= Equality. Just like SM and MGG they deserved a raise. TG & JM will get paid more, they are established actors. It’s the same thing with JT, she is an established name. They shouldn’t get paid as much as them but they should be paid fairly, which is what I think they stood up for, and I think they got.

Comment by Qayla – May 11, 2013 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t really worried about Criminal Minds, but still nice to hear it has been renewed. Why on earth are the women not making the same amount of money as the men, except for Aaron, who is the obvious star of the show? J.J. and Garcia are every bit as important to that show as any of the other men, even if they do not get as much air time. This is not good. I wonder if the female executives involved in the show have the same disparity.

Comment by Roses – May 11, 2013 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For the record AJ Cook was given a salary of 75k per episode when she came back on board in season 7.So unless Shemar and Matthew were making around 150k per episode,which we know they weren’t, this claim of her only getting half of what they were getting is totally bogus. As a matter of fact she was making more than Matthew in season 7 bc at that time he had not yet gotten his raise and was making less than 50k per episode.

Now I don’t begrudge AJ Cook that salary and I had no problem with her and KV asking for raises, but I do resent what I felt was a totally false spin put out about it being sexism.
    Like someone pointed out, no show with an ensemble cast pays all the members equally.

Comment by Debra – May 11, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Forgive me my fellow CM fans. I think the cast is pure magic; and I truly love them all. But anyone making $75k per episode in this day and age has no business complaining about anything. My God – what I wouldn’t give…

Comment by Dixie – May 13, 2013 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Hotch’s brother being the fatality, and Agent Anderson being the series regular put in harm’s way?

Comment by JL. Edmons – May 12, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not a bad idea – especially since we rarely see Hotch’s brother anyway; but there must be a way to get rid of Beth too. Any thoughts?

Comment by Dixie – May 13, 2013 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just because an actor has a contract does not mean they won’t be killed off. I’m sure they didn’t go through all the contract negotiations for show just to keep us guessing, so my bet is those 5 are safe however that still leaves Reid. Regulars in contract get killed off all the time and sometimes even the actors don’t expect it until the Table read. Look at the Sopranos or Greys Anatomy. I believe the Show would not be the same without Reid I don’t think I’d watch however I thought the same thing when we lost Gideon. Seems like No ones really safe. I’m also Pretty positive Prentiss was still in a Contract when she was killed off the first time.

Comment by BingeWatcher RI – May 15, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ~Paget Brewster is getting out of the serial killer biz — for real this time.
    The actress is leaving Criminal Minds at season’s end to pursue other projects. “After six wonderful years playing Emily Prentiss, I have decided it’s time for me to move on,” Brewster (whose Minds’ deal expires in May) ”I had another year on my contract that I didn’t know about.Had the pilot gone to series, Brewster would’ve left the CBS drama for it but when it didn’t, Criminal Minds producer ABC Studios had an option to bring her back and exercised it.~ – I Pulled this from a couple of last years articles. I knew she was still in contract. Hope this helps Everyone continue to Worry and Guess like me. Sorry just overly worried about Reid. I also think I read somewhere this year was set up to be completely Reid-centric. I’m not sure about that one but I think so.

Comment by BingeWatcher RI – May 15, 2013 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they are going to kill off a regular member of the team, I would definitely hope that it is either Strauss (couldn’t stand that woman when she was on 24 and can’t stand her on Criminal Minds) or Blake who doesn’t really fit in with the other BAU team members and isn’t really needed. I thought for sure after last week’s episode that it would be Blake since they had her getting all cozy with the returning husband. They always do an episode where the intended “victim” is just getting into a good place and happy with something to look forward to and then the axe falls (think Reid and Maeve). Haven’t really seen Beth since she moved away. Hotchner mentions her but I don’t remember seeing her so she isn’t really a regular cast member. Will was injured in last season’s finale so I hope they don’t mess with him and JJ again.

Comment by Deirdre – May 19, 2013 03:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If I had to choose someone to eliminate, it would be Beth – useless from the beginning and no on-screen chemistry with Thomas Gibson. Bellamy Young needs to stay on Scandal where she does a first rate job. I don’t like Strauss either and Blake is BLAH! But I’m sure the writers have their own agenda. In order to make it a real cliffhanger, one of the “regulars” will need to be compromised in some way. Remember, just because they all signed new contracts, it doesn’t mean they can’t be written out of the series. It happens at the time in Tinseltown.

Comment by Dixie – May 20, 2013 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like to see Emily or even El from the first season come back, the new lady just does not fit. She would probably do good o another show, but if neither one of these ladies can come back just find someone new but someone who really will fit ,this show it’s an awesome show just one person doesn’t fit everyone else I love them. I hope someone from these shows actually listens to the fans.

Comment by nina – May 20, 2013 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you Nina. I don’t think Paget Brewster (Emily) will return as she is devoting her talents elsewhere. I like Jeanne Tripplehorn (Blake) but not in her role on CM. I also think that Bellamy Young (Beth) is ill-suited to this series. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, she has zero on-screen chemistry with Thomas Gibson, although I thoroughly enjoy her performance on Scandal. I wonder if the writers understand that the audience is very much aware of such things?

Comment by Dixie – May 20, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Elle wasn’t any jewel either, she was very one dimensional and just didn’t fit.

Comment by Mimi – June 10, 2013 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A thousand ‘thank you’s’ to the executives at this show!

Comment by Diana – May 21, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The finale was amazing. I won’t put up a spoiler, but I did love it.
    I’m glad Garcia and JJ are making more and more likely to hang around longer…they are the only 2 female characters on the show that have ever really managed to be strong enough to play along side the male leads. Printiss, Blake, and El all really kinda were just blah, and before JJ became a profiler, I kept saying they really needed a STRONG female profiler for the team. (at the time anticipating JJ stayed as liason). JJ is a great profiler, andd still a great liason character as well, but I’d like, no, I’d LOVE to see a really strong 3rd female character to balance out the team.

I don’t think the pay disparity is sexist in nature, as was said, there are a lot of factors involved in who gets paid what on a show. Have an ex-girlfriend who actually works in payroll for movies and TV. I will say that overall, I would say the ones in the show that it couldn’t live with out, thus, the actual ‘Stars’ if you want to boil it down to bare minimums, are Reid, Garcia and Hotchner. Hotchner mainly because the team needs a strong leader and after losing Gideon, the audience wouldn’t stand for Hotchner going too (still wish Gideon would come back) and Rossi is a great character for overall support, but makes a better co-captain/Number 1 than a captain in his own rights. If I had to add a 4th to the list of mandatory staying characters, it would probably be a tie between JJ and Morgan. Both are really strong characters and definitely have their own followings, but to choose between the two, Morgan I think would win out just slightly over JJ because of Morgan’s chemistry with Garcia, and because of the fact that JJ has already left the show once for a short span and proved that wouldn’t kill the show totally. (although the show is better with her than without her, I loves me some JJ)

Reid is by far the true star of the show after Gideon left though. Gibson is the bigger name actor over Reid, but Dr. Reid is that ‘unique’ extra quirk that makes CM the show it is. After that, Garcia, because she is also their quirky ABBY equivalent (NCIS) type character. (Reid is closer to your Ducky character in that regard) in addition to being the one team member that was slotted to be a regular in the spin-off Suspect Behavior (which I wish could have stayed, but them’s the breaks)

Now, what I wouldn’t mind seeing at all, is if they would take Blake out of the team, and bring in Jeanine Gerafalo(sp) from Suspect Behavior and reassign her to the main team. I think her character is smart enough and strong enough to stand up to the men, and her scary level of intellect could have really really strong chemistry with Reid (without being a love interest)

Long winded, but hey, I have a lot of opinions, lol

Comment by Clyde Starr – May 22, 2013 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think CM did a good job last on the show last night, I think that Hotch is great, Morgan role is a very important part of the show it will kill the show without him he is a key element like the rest it would not do good without him at all and also Garcia love her I couldn’t watch without her and Reid key, key player love him also .JJ and Rossi are cool also and after watching last night episode I still feel the same way about the lady who has took Emily place she is not the one for the role even though they tried to make something be about her she is just not good, I have said Emily and El have been the best in that role that role still needs to recast , she is not the one for that role I am repeating that once again, bring El back since Emily won’t come back or just find someone who fits I still feel this way about the new lady and I keep calling her new cause she has not fulfilled the role , she would be great another show I guess just not this one nothing personal. I would wish her the best if the producer, directors, would actually listen to the fans whom ever makes that decision I wish you would just my opinion along with some others I know. Gideon I agree I was still love to see him come back he was awesome also.

Comment by nina barksdale – May 23, 2013 05:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I also loved the Final… Not saying anything apart from Zugzwang! :)
      I totally agree with you Clyde Starr if Reid, Garcia, Morgan or Hotch left the show it wouldn’t be a great show anymore at least in my opinion…
      Reid is that brilliant ,Genius kind of guy and if he leaves it’s going to take that WOW of the show… Now Garcia and Morgan bring good funny moments to the show, not to say they are also great in their particular roles. Morgan because he is a good profiler and Garcia great with computers and investigation etc. Now let’s go to Hotch, well he is the strong team leader and that’s it :)

Comment by Tamz – May 25, 2013 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matthew gray gubler isnt renewing for season 9? …. WHAT!!! .. thats just really sad :(

Comment by Vanessa – May 29, 2013 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “(Matthew Gray Gubler and Jeanne Tripplehorn were not up for renewal this spring.)”

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – May 29, 2013 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Reid should be back , he is great on the show i really like him and it sure would be different with him not on the show

Comment by yb – June 28, 2013 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Emily plenty expects to return to the next season.

Comment by yasu – May 30, 2013 03:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Emily should be together with Morgan because they will make a cute couple

Comment by Mama234 – June 19, 2013 11:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Mathew Grey Gubler (Spencer Reid), will in fact be staying for a 9th season?

Comment by patty castellanos – July 11, 2013 01:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The last show of the season has Strauss dying on a park bench in NY at the hands of and FBI agent who has stalked the team all season. Now the question is who is going to replace her.

Comment by Sandra Willis – July 11, 2013 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All the fill-ins for Emily has been bit sad, but they are trying to get it right. It’s true that as fans we we would like to see CBS make an attempt at getting Emily back, but I’m hopeful that this season will start off with a bang.

Comment by Al Josephs – July 23, 2013 11:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d like to address Ben Fuller. Thanks for the compliment Ben! I haven’t been called a “school girl” in a long time. Actually, I’m quite comfortable in my skin at my present age, but it’s still nice to hear. As for my having a crush on TG – the truth is, I have a crush on the entire cast. What a wonderful blending of personalities and talent! You don’t find this too often in a series anymore. As for your comment about Emily. I’ve never been one of the “shippers” (Is that the correct term?). I never thought she would return to the show, and that’s fine with me. I believe in going forward. I realize this is just a TV show and these are fictional characters; but I can’t help but be involved after 8 seasons, and I admit to caring about the characters, all of them. I guess that’s why I’m so outspoken when I see that something isn’t working (IMO) – and that “something” is Beth and Blake. Jeanne Tripplehorn and Bellamy Young are both incredible actresses. I’ve enjoyed them immensely in other roles; but their performance on CM is lackluster to say the least – and doubt that more air time will help (IMO). The “professional writers” are fallible too. I don’t think my opinion is – how did you put it – “Silly”. This space is reserved for “comments”, from CM fans and I will continue to offer mine. By the way, you owe Nina an apology too.

Comment by Dixie – July 24, 2013 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love the show been watching it since it started, please dont get rid of the original cast and I believe the women should have the same pay they make the whole show work well except u need to bring back L or the other brunette that quite on the show that new women u have on there now dosnt do anything for the original cast that they had before this new women, but LOVE love the show and all my family and friends love it as well and I have a biggg family and we even all get together to watch the show thats how great it is. And when I talk to people about ur show everyone says the same thing, that they love this show……

Comment by Carol – January 7, 2014 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring Brewster back! Tripplehorns acting pales in comparison on CM and she simply annoying. They would do well to find a way to have Brewster back on the show.

Comment by Tricia – August 2, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It makes sense for Matthew Gray Gubler to make more than the woman because he is also a director (sometimes) of the show. But the other men don’t make sense, as they are just actors. But I am glad to hear that the two girls will be receiving higher pay. :)

Comment by Cheyanne – September 22, 2013 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dr. Spencer Reid needs to be on the show. He is an amazing person. My favorite actor is Matthew Gray Gubler (Dr. Reid) I think his contract shoul be renewed.

Comment by Cheyenne – October 7, 2013 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best way to for finale show, would be the jet crashes, the end!

Comment by Loren – November 12, 2013 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh man u have to keep reid he is fantastic love his character I hope and pray he stays on the show he is a big part of cm and he plays his role very well u definitely need him on the show the original characters that started on cm work very well together they all have that finess he has to stay or u will lose alot of people he is the perfect person for his position on the show no one will ever fill his shoes no one he is perfect for that show…..

Comment by Carol – January 7, 2014 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post