Jeanne Cooper, Young and the Restless Icon, Dead at 84: 'She Was in Peace and Without Fear'

Get More: In Memoriam, News

Jeanne Cooper Dead at 84Daytime-TV grand dame Jeanne Cooper, who played The Young and the Restless‘ Katherine, passed away on Wednesday morning after being hospitalized, off and on since April, for an undisclosed illness.

Cooper’s elder son, actor Corbin Bernsen, shared the sad news on Twitter, saying, “She was in peace and without fear. You all have been incredible in your love. In her name, share it today with others.”

Bernsen just last week updated his mother’s fans via Facebook, upon her latest return to the hospital: “I said goodbye to her [Friday], and even then not fully meaning it or expecting that would be the last time I saw her. But now it will have to do, as we enter this weekend letting her final voyage begin…. I don’t want her in pain. I don’t want her in fear or agony…. So I’m giving her this weekend — take the holiday, Mom, make it yours, let it take you where it will. My final words to her last night were, ‘I’ll see you again.’ And I will, either here or there.”

Best known for her nearly 40-year run on CBS’ Y&R, which launched in 1973, Cooper’s career began in the 1950s with a role in the Western The Redhead from Wyoming. She then launched into a long string of roles on TV anthology series — including ABC’s Crossroads, NBC’s Tales of Wells Fargo and CBS’ Dick Powell’s Zane Grey Theater — and dramas such as The Adventures of Kit Carson, Cheyenne, Wagon Train and multiple appearances on Perry Mason, The Big Valley and Ironside.

On Y&R, Cooper played high society doyenne Katherine Chancellor (as well as, now and again, her lookalike Marge Cotrooke). The actress famously invited the daytime drama to weave in storylines mirroring her own life, including a mid-1980s facelift (the show used footage from Cooper’s actual procedure) and a recurring bout with alcoholism. The character of Kay also crossed over to sister sudser The Bold and the Beautiful for two episodes in 2005.

Over her career, Cooper amassed 10 Daytime Emmy nominations, winning once in 2008 after earning a Lifetime Achievement Award in 2004. She also netted two Primetime Emmy nods, including for her turn as son Corbin’s L.A. Law mother.

Cooper took a brief medical leave from Y&R in October 2011, at which time her part was temporarily recast with Michael Learned (The Waltons).

The actress is survived by her three children, Corbin, Colin and Caren.

Comments (396)

• So sad. RIP

Comment by Shari – May 8, 2013 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Rest in peace dear Jeanne

Comment by anna – May 8, 2013 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m wondering if the powers that be will re-cast someone to take her place. So many characters in the show revolve around Ms Chancellor. You just can’t show those characters the door! I say “re-cast” with someone in their 60′s and then make her up to be in her 80′s. I’ll be picking my brain to come up with my choice for replacement. What say you, people? Re-cast with whom, or just write her out of the show?

Comment by cmaglaughlin – May 8, 2013 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • NO! nobody can play Mrs C as well as she did, and im sure they will lose a lot of viewers now because a lot of people only watched because of Jeanne Cooper, it would be a huge casting mistake to recast.

Comment by Stephanie Spazzamuzz – May 8, 2013 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I agree, there are some people that just can not be replaced … Jeanne Cooper is one of them !

Comment by Lethalangel – May 8, 2013 08:10 PM PDT
          • I agree, there is no one who can take Mrs. C. place and it would be hard for any actress to try and live up to how Jeanne made the character.

Comment by eva – May 9, 2013 09:44 AM PDT
          • I toatly agree no can replace her someone with a lot of spunk will have big shoes to fill.out mRS C the show will never be the same. Sill be so missed

Comment by mary.rison@yahoo.com – May 9, 2013 03:56 PM PDT
          • Please Do Not recast Mrs. C, No One could take her place. You will loose one viewer for sure if you do. Me

Comment by Jo keeton – May 10, 2013 06:31 AM PDT
          • Please do not recast this role. The character of Katherine should die as Jeanne Cooper did. No one else can play this role. As much as I loved Michael Learned in The Waltons, I could not bear to see her play Katherine. Do something else, but do not recast this role.

Comment by Peggy Batts – May 29, 2013 07:37 AM PDT
        • Some roles you simply do not recast. Let’s not go down that path.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – May 8, 2013 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • No ONE can replace Ms. C .Do not recast her.Have a service and let it be.

Comment by c pel – May 8, 2013 06:24 PM PDT
          • Yes. Just do a Sally Spectra.

Comment by dee123 – May 8, 2013 07:04 PM PDT
          • Preach it! Ill be damned if I ever see another Katharine Chancellor rips Jill to shreds. No one would be that stupid.

Comment by Brad – May 8, 2013 11:02 PM PDT
          • I agree, she should not be recast. They need to dedicate a whole episode to her with her funeral so all the costars and fans can say “good bye”. A recast would never work.

Comment by Jeff – May 10, 2013 06:37 PM PDT
          • I totally agree! Mrs. C is not someone who can be replaced- of course there is still lots that can be done with her characters – Jill and Cane will have their power struggle- Ester and Jill will always clash- Murphy will just go fishing.

Comment by Donna – May 14, 2013 07:41 AM PDT
          • Amen Matt I agree there should not go down that path

Comment by Anita P – May 15, 2013 02:47 PM PDT
          • I agree totally. I have watched her from the beginning as Mrs Chancellor and nobody can step in there.

Comment by Meg – May 28, 2013 10:33 AM PDT
        • No one can take her place. they should just make it that she pass away on the show. and do a memory thing for her.

Comment by jeri shuler – May 8, 2013 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • No, let’s not go down that path. The truth is someone did take her place, just for a moment in time, accomplished actress Michael Learned. But that was different. It was temporary, Jeanne was still alive and it just proved how vital her character was to the storyline and a testament to how well she played Mrs. Chancellor. No one could ever take her place. A fitting tribute is in order. I know I will need my box of kleenex. Rest in peace, Jeanne Cooper. You will always be my favorite Duchess.

Comment by april-ann – May 8, 2013 06:10 PM PDT
          • I agree, no one could replace Mrs.C, a memorial on the show would be a fitting and loving tribute.
            My deepest condolences to her family and her Young and the Restless Family. I too, will miss her.

Comment by Virgil Williams – May 8, 2013 06:58 PM PDT
          • I agree. I grew wup watching her and will miss her.

Comment by jeanette – May 8, 2013 10:38 PM PDT
          • I say give her a wonderful memorial for the wonderful years she has given all of us. She is irreplaceable

Comment by Drexie – May 8, 2013 11:29 PM PDT
          • I say,have a break in, at her estate…she gets murdered, there’s a hidden secret …you know,murder mystery,what family member is involved…it could go on for months.

Comment by Marylou Carruthers – May 9, 2013 12:26 PM PDT
        • write her out with complications from her brain surgery and let her RIP

Comment by Cora Macdonald – May 8, 2013 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I agree since on the show she had been having some health problems just let it end like it would in real life….she has a stroke and they have to decided whether to take her off life support or not they can drag that out for days but it is believeable and acceptable and not some writers idea of a great plot…let the Duchess leave with her dignity intact!

Comment by Linda – May 10, 2013 07:48 AM PDT
          • YES PLEASE DO THAT MAKE IT EASY ON US ALL I HAVE WATCH Y&R SINCE I WAS 8 YEARS OLD OMG !!! I STILL CANT BELIVED THIS

Comment by betty – May 13, 2013 01:38 PM PDT
        • I have watched the show for over 30 years and it would not be right to replace Jeanne cooper, “Katherine” with any other actress. Her role should remain with her for all her dedication to Y&R!

Comment by Mona Kaufman – May 8, 2013 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I SAY BETTTY WHITE

Comment by meli – May 8, 2013 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Betty white don’t have the balls ms.c had

Comment by chanell c – May 9, 2013 12:36 AM PDT
          • I agree not Betty White, Just have a memorial for with the young and restless team , that would be nice for everyone, R .I.P Jeannie..

Comment by Betty – May 9, 2013 08:44 PM PDT
          • No Betty White isn’t even close to the lady Jeanne Cooper. That would be a slap in the face.

Comment by Olivia Seely – May 9, 2013 08:48 PM PDT
          • Soaps are long hours and lots of dialogue to memorize. Betty has earned a rest. Is she still on that Cleveland show?

Comment by cmaglaughlin – May 9, 2013 09:33 PM PDT
          • Betty White could be the sister that has come to take her place, since M’s K’s unfortunate demise. Hmmmm.

Comment by CEllis – May 13, 2013 07:27 PM PDT
          • Betty White is a good actress, and is great in comedy, but I can’t see her replacing Jeanne Cooper as Katherine.

Comment by Mary – May 28, 2013 08:17 AM PDT
        • I don’t think they should recast her. She was the one and only Ms Chancellor. I hope they let her die of a brain tumor an have a triibute for her on the show. She will be greatly missed.

Comment by c.green – May 8, 2013 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • So, let’s terminate Esther, the housekeeper, Murphy, Katherine’s hubby, Jill(no brainer), and re-write everything in the “can” already, let alone having to re-shoot it. So much Katherine is intertwined with so many characters and plot lines. Remove Katherine, you lose Nikki and Victor’s best friend, you’ve got to bring Tucker out of moth balls to attend the funeral(or have him killed). How can Chancelor Industries survive without Katherine, and Cain at the wheel, who can’t even rule his own house with Lilly desiring Tyler so much lately? Cain would have to find another job and there are none left in Genoa City he hasn’t already worked for or burned bridges! I could go on! I’ve got the answer…just ignore the elephant in the room and bring Patti, the wacko, back!

Comment by cmaglaughlin – May 8, 2013 10:04 PM PDT
          • @cmaglaughlin. It doesn’t have to be that way. Y & R is a soap opera. They can write for any character(s) they wish. Besides, I’m sure we can all agree that things are not very fast-moving in Genoa City. Reverberations from Katherine Chancellor’s passing could be felt for literally years and years (and years) if the show chooses. A loving tribute is in order.

Comment by april-ann – May 9, 2013 09:50 AM PDT
          • @ april-ann,
            Do you really think Jeanne will be watching her “loving tribute”? The show is on a roll. Why interrupt the momentum with sentimentality. I’d think she would agree. The show must go on. Now if it were VICTOR, turn out the lights, the party’s over! “Not very fast moving in Genoa City”? Just count the comings and goings lately! It’s mass hysteria for everyone on staff and the players!

Comment by cmaglaughlin – May 9, 2013 09:41 PM PDT
          • Only one lady could play Katherine. I watched her on Y&R for many, many years. She was the greatest actress of all time. I even got my husband to watch the show after his retirement 8 yrs. ago. We miss her so much! She will could never be replaced by any other actress. Comment by K. Edney, Otsego, MI

Comment by Kathy Edney – November 29, 2013 10:30 AM PDT
        • There could never be a replacement that would do her justice. She must be written off and die in her character. She will never be forgotten she was wonderful. RIP.

Comment by Helen K Stoops – May 8, 2013 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No. She is for sure the one and only Kathrine. She is not replaceable and you can cast whomever you choose and it just wouldn’t work. RIP Jeanne <3

Comment by Paula Burton – May 9, 2013 06:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No one can ever take her place,she was “One-Of-A-Kind” ! Let Katherine go in Peace as well !

Comment by Doreen – May 9, 2013 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I Have watched the Young And Restless since it first aired, and i feel so sad that Jeanne Cooper passed away, but i feel the show would not be the same without Mrs. C. with that they should get someone to replace her. R.I.P Jeanne Cooper!

Comment by Jeanette Swinson – May 9, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I say have a memorial for her on the show and let the characters get on with their fictional lives. If someone replaces her what will they do about flashbacks? re-do them? If they must replace her I think Debbie Reynolds would be good in the part; but please don’t replace her!

Comment by Elizabeth Scott – May 9, 2013 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • this is just an insensitive remark to the family, friends , as well as the cast who worked with Jeanne, She has touched all our lives and we will cherish her years of wisdom, true witt, grit and spirit on Y&R. xox rest in peace

Comment by Angela – May 9, 2013 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • WHO EVER SHALL BE PICKED WONT TAKE THE PLACE OF MS JEANNE COOPER MAY SHE R.I.P..

\

Comment by jackiee – May 9, 2013 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I would say, if they did a re-cast, Have it be Debby Reynolds.

Comment by Barb – May 9, 2013 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Michael Learned did a good job last year!

Comment by Renee – May 9, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I do not agree.

Comment by Kristy – May 13, 2013 04:30 PM PDT
          • Michael Learned could not compare to Jeanne Cooper. She had no spunk.

Comment by Mary – May 22, 2013 06:35 PM PDT
        • Elizabeth Hubberd (Lucinda in ATWT) will be great as Mrs. chancellor in my opinion! If they want to recast the roll that is!

Comment by Arpi Kay – May 9, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I, too, would prefer not to have the role recast, but if TPTB absolutely NEED to recast, I agree with you. Hubbard would fit the role as well as possible without being Jeanne Cooper. R.I.P., Mrs. C!

Comment by rubies – May 11, 2013 09:10 AM PDT
        • Jeannie you always were a teriffic actress to me. No one could ever fill your shoes as there will never be anyone else like you. You played Katherine so authentically. I couldn’t,t wait day in and day out to watch you perform. My Mom enjoyed you just as much as I did and now maybe she can say hello and meet you there in heaven. Tell her I miss her so. Jeannie I will think of you often as I will continue to watch Young & the Restless. May you rest in peace and know you are loved. I wish your family all the best in your time of grief. Think of all the good times you shared and that may help.

Comment by Mare – May 9, 2013 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think she should just be written out the show since she is really dead. Some people are not meant to be replaced and she is one of them. For almost 40 years she has played that part and not be replaced except briefly while being ill, she is Katherine Chancellor. Nobody can play that role with the grace and style she did. I think it would honor her legacy to put the character at rest and not insult her by doing a recast with someone else.

Comment by Marcus – May 9, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • NO ONE…but NO ONE could ever replace Jeanne Cooper as Kathryn. She gave birth to the part, nurtured it, raised it to maturity. So let Mrs. C. rest in peace and show the occasional flashback to keep her memory alive.
          I personally will miss her a great deal. I have always admired her for her beauty, her talent, and her eloquence. But above all, she allowed her belief and faith in God to shine through like a beacon. Her family is in my prayers. God Bless you all.

Comment by Dianna Michael – May 10, 2013 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Her iconic style and regal beauty will be missed Condolences to Ms. Cooper’s family. She should not be recast let’s honor her memory, I’ve watch Y & R for over 35 years She is our Queen of Daytime.

Comment by Jewels – May 13, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Please ,no replacement.

Comment by sara – May 13, 2013 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No one can ever replace Mrs.C. She is and will always be the original Kathrine Chancellor.
          We love you. Peace to your family,friends,and fans. RIP Kate

Comment by joann – May 13, 2013 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No one can replace her…. It is a sad loss for all… The Young and the Restless will not be the same. To put some else in her place, I’m not sure this would work. I do agree that Ms. Chancellor is the center of several characters in the show. Good luck if they re-cast, I think that person will need prayers and luck to try to attempt to fill the void and shoes of Jeanne Cooper.

Comment by Ann – May 13, 2013 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think there should just have a funeral for Ms. Chancellor.

Comment by Anita P – May 15, 2013 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • OUT OF RESPECT FOR HER LET HER GO. I KNOW I WON’T WATCH IT ANY MORE IF YOU RECAST SOMEONE ELSE. SOME PEOPLE CAN’T BE REPLACED. I DON’T EVEN LIKE YOUR NEW REPLACEMENTS FOR THE KIDS ON THS SHOW. VICTOR NICKY AND CATHERINE ARE THE SHOW AND THE REASON WE WATCH. PLEASE DON.T MESS IT UP.

Comment by Janie – May 16, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • NOBODY CAN REPLACE MRS. C. I’M 44 AND I HAVE BEEN WATCHING THE SHOW SINCE I WAS IN ELAMENTARY. IT WON’T BE THE SAME WITH SOMEONE ELSE PLAYING HER PART. I LOVE AND MISS YOU MRS. C. R.I.P

Comment by Kay Wood – May 28, 2013 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Mrs. C. (Jeanne Cooper) was a delight. To watch her act on The Young and Restless was so enjoyable. I watch the show daily and loved her clothes and jewels, and the way she wore them, her lines and the way she cleverly delivered them, her laugh, her smile, and her age and the way she elegantly carried it. Surely, she is in heaven now, an angel, still carrying about the cast and her family. Whether or not another actress takes her place is up to the owners and director of the show. However, if they do cast someone in this role, they must make sure the actress is as quick wiited and elegant as Mrs. Chancellor. My sympathy to her family, and to the cast. Remember cast, she was but each one of you are terrific actors and actresses, too. Carry on and continue to make us keep watching. Mrs. C. (Jeanne) will be there with you.

Anne from Vermont

Comment by Anne Ratkus – May 29, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Rest in Peace Jeanne aka Ms. C it won’t be the same without you. I have watched you ever since i can remember and i am now 45yrs old.I used tell my mom what happened on the story when she was at work and now i watch it faithfully and have for years. God Speed to you and your family

Comment by Cheryl – May 8, 2013 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • They should bring in a sis no one knew about, make it floe from. The show alice. Make her nice on one side, the devil on the other she comes home when she learns of MRs C death. Xox

Comment by marcy – July 14, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Rest in peace dear lady, i will remember you so offten, as i use to watch the young and the restless when my grandma was a live and i was a little girl. I watch you on many other show’s growing up. I loved your acting. My prayer are with you and your family at this time. May god bless you and take care of you in heaven. and may god watch over your family down here.

Comment by jeri shuler – May 8, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Have watched the show for over 30 years, it’s like a death in the family…will miss her very much, may she rest in peace.

Comment by Linne – May 21, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • God please look down on her family and bless them in this time of grief Remember this God has one more Angle in heave and my prayers go out to the family Amen

Comment by Jerry dickerson – May 8, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So sad to hear our Jeanne has passed. Thank you for all the great years you brought to Y & R, you will be dearly missed. Prayers to the family.

Comment by JoDee – May 8, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THE WORLD OF TELEVISION SOAPS IS IN MOURNING TODAY.A LEGEND AND AN ICON HAS LEFT US.
      JENNY COOPER REST IN PEACE.YOU CAN REST NOW.

Comment by Catherine Chesterfield – May 8, 2013 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I AM SO VERY SORRY,I PUT THE WRONG NAME IN MY LAST COMMENT.
        IT SHOULD BE JEANNIE COOPER,NOT JENNY.

Comment by Catherine Chesterfield – May 8, 2013 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • oh iam so sorry i loved her so much she will be missed.

Comment by lutricia rogers – May 8, 2013 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I am so sorry for the lost of Jean cooper.

Comment by sharon banks – May 8, 2013 06:00 PM PDT
      • It’s JEANNE Cooper.

Comment by Christine Anne – May 8, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thank you! Was about to correct that spelling myself.

Comment by Dianne – May 9, 2013 05:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She looked so much like my mom and everyday I got to see her it was as if I got to see Mama again, I will miss seeing her on Y&R as she and Victor made the show. Katherine you will be sadly missed and irreplaceable…R.I.P. dear lovely lady…

Comment by Sheena – May 8, 2013 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So Sorry to hear, she also always reminded me of my mother. She looked so much like her. RIP

Comment by N. Z – May 8, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SO SAD TO HEAR OF JEANNE COOPER’S PASSING…I LOVED WATCHING HER ON THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS…SHE WILL BE MISSED!!!!….NO OTHER ACTRESS CAN REPLACE HER AS CATHERINE CHANCELLOR

Comment by JEAN – May 8, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am sad about this….I feel the same way no one can replace her

Comment by wanda – May 8, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • REST IN PEACE , JEANNE [ MRS C ] WE WILL MISS YOU ALOT , MY PRAYERS GOES OUT TO YOUR FAMILY , THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT YEARS WE HAVE WATCH YOU ON THE Y& R ,,GO ON YOUR JOURNEY AND SEE LOTS , I HAVE WATCH THE Y&R SINCE 1973 I WAS 18, AND I 58 YEARS OLD NOW , I LOVE TO WATCH YOU WITH JILL MADE MY DAY WHEN THE TO OF YOUS WOULD GET INTO IT LOL ,

Comment by laurelie – May 8, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • R.I.P You will be MISSED ALWAYS!!!!

Comment by Patricia Leasure – May 8, 2013 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • rest in eternal peace Jeanie :’( u will be missed

Comment by monica – May 8, 2013 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • R.I.P YOU ARE GOING TO BE MISS Y@R WILL NOT BE THE SAME AGAIN. THIS BREAKS MY HEART. BUT WE DONT WANT YOU TO SUFFER. PRAYERS GOES OUT TO UR FAMILY MY GOD BLESS U ALL.

Comment by tammy – May 8, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I will miss you so much. I don’t know if I can watch Young and the Restless knowing I won’t see your face or hear your voice. My prayer will be with your family who love you a little more than I :). RIP until we meet face to face on the other side.
      BIGGEST FAN,
      RUTHIE LOVE

Comment by Ruthie Young Love – May 8, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I been watching Mrs Jeanne Cooper for 35years She going miss may God be with the Y & R

Comment by Sherman Cypress – May 8, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • May the family be heal by the woman she was to them and her fans over the 30 or more years. I grew up with The Young and Restless. It was not just a Soap Opera with Katherine, but a most realistic few of life with a few twists and turns. I know that Y&R will never be the same with out the Great Actress. God Bless all the casts and employees of Y&R and her fans.

Comment by Char – May 8, 2013 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel as though I have lost a very dear friend, even though I have never met her, god speed jeaine, u will be sorely missed

Comment by Shirley quinn – May 8, 2013 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was the reason I watch the show. I’ll miss her!

Comment by aaa bbb – May 8, 2013 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was the best she was the back bone of the Yand R!!She will be sadly missed R.I.P.Jeanne!!:)

Comment by Denise – May 9, 2013 03:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have been watching Jeanne since I was a little girl. She will truly be missed. RIP

Comment by Jeaneen – May 9, 2013 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • RIP Jeanne Cooper
      I’ve watched the show off and on over the years but very steady over the past 2 years. I’ve grown to love and respect Catherine’s character and believe part of her character was truly the real her. This is like a real family here. When the matriarch passes on to Glory, she/ he is not replaced however someone steps up to the plate to be the strength for that family. In my opinion Jeanne can never be replaced however whose character can be strong enough to step up to the plate to hold Genoa city together and be the matriarch.
      Ill be watching ….tune in

Comment by jerrberr – May 9, 2013 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There is no capable replacement for Mrs C.!!!! One of a kind!!!! Don’t want to see a replacement just wouldn’t be right when all Y & R fans know she has passed on.

Comment by Rachel – May 9, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NO MATTER WHAT WE SAY ABOUT THE ROLE OF MS. CHANCELLOR, THESE SOPA OPERA WRITERS ALREADY HAVE THIS TAKEN CARE OF.
      EVEN JC KNEW B4 SHE PASSED AWAY, HOW IT WUD BE WRITTEN IN CASE SHE WOULD EVER SUCUUMB OF HER ILLNESS.
      THESE PEOPLE AREN’T N THE BUSINESS OF BEING WRITERS IF THEY DIDN’T HAVE A
      PLAN 1, 2 or 3 THOUGHT OUT MONTHS OR TEARS AGO WHEN SHE FIRST TOOK ILL AND HAD HER TEMPORARILY REPLACED. THAT WAS A TEST THEY DID THEN, JUST TO C HOW THE VEIWERS WUD TAKE TO A PROXY. NO ONE LIKED IT!
      THE WAY MS. C WALKED UP THOSE STAIRS, WAVING GOOD BYE, SHE KNEW, AND THE WHOLE STAFF KNEW SHE WAS NOT GOING TO B RETURNING, FOR HER FIGHT WITH HER ILLNESS HAD COME TO THE END OF THE ROAD. IM TRULY GRIEVING FOR JEANNE COOPER, THE PERSON, AND ALL HER LIFE ACCOMPLISHMENTS!!!! ms. C was just her character! But, MAY SHE, “JEANNE Cooper” forever REST IN PARADISE! …RIP….WE WILL ALL MISS U!!!! …God bless your family!!!!

Comment by ROBIANNA LONGEVITY – May 9, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Rest In Paradise!…R.I.P…MS. JEANNE COOPER!

Comment by ROBIANNA LONGEVITY – May 10, 2013 05:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Three generations of my family have followed Y&R and to replace Jeanne Cooper with someone else would be an insult to her years of dedication to the show….let her go as she would want…..

Comment by nancy – May 13, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I do not agree. A new and different Katherine would be a living legacy to her enormous contribution to the show, a daily reminder of her talent and dedication. Putting her in her grave on the show only does two things: One, it removes a gigantic character for future plot lines, and two, subjects viewers to constant flashbacks. If Victor(Eric Braeden) dies in real life, I say stop the show altogether, because Victor IS the show! Sentimentality is nice, but common sense and logic should prevail.

Comment by cmaglaughlin – May 13, 2013 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Rest in peace mrs c I have been watching y&r since the first day it aired. Mrs cooper was like my family I loved her an will miss her dearly. God only picks the prettiest roses and she was one she was such a strong lady at her age remembering all her lines. I really admired her I would not replace her just let her go. It time she took her rest Her family,friends,y&r family,fans loved her but god loved her best. I will continue watching the show but it will never be the same without the dutchess love an peace to the family and y&r family.

Comment by Geraldine reid – May 31, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She will be missed. My Mama and grandmas loved her in Y&R, Watch since the begin. Now too they have passed. Jeannie will be missed by us and in her role as Katherine. Eternal Rest grant unto her Oh, Lord.

Comment by Avis – May 13, 2013 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Y & R WILL NEVER BE THE SAME WITHOUT THE ONE AND ONLY KATHERINE CHANCELLOR. REST IN PEACE MY FRIEND SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE

Comment by NURSE AT MRC – May 13, 2013 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have been watching Y&R sice day one…there will be only one Mrs. C and to try and replace her as far as I am concerned would be an insult to the character…there will NEVER be another Katherine Chancellor … So do all us die hard Y & R fans a favour and let the grande dame rest in peace ..,!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Celeste K – May 17, 2013 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My condolence to the family she was a great actor and she made young and the restless. RIP Ms. Cooper

Comment by Sherrie Richardson – May 24, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks to all the cast of the Y&R for paying such a beautiful tribute to Mrs Chancellor from the Y&R. I have been watching the series for maybe 40 years and have enjoyed it immensely and will miss her big time. She was a very SPECIAL person. Thank you, LMP, Ste. Anne, Manitoba, Canada

Comment by LM Perrin – May 28, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deeply saddened by the news of Jeanne’s passing. Blessings and prayers sent to her family.

Comment by paul – May 8, 2013 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She will definitely be missed…my prayers are with the family! Y&R will not be the same without her.

Comment by Jeanna – May 8, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SHE WILL BE MISSED BY HER FANS

Comment by BUDDY PETE FRANCIS,JR – May 8, 2013 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so sad! I’ve grown up watching the show so this feels like my grandma dying or something. RIP.

Comment by Sam – May 8, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just said the same thing to my husband. I’ve basically been watching her since birth. Such a sad day, but I’m glad she is at peace with no more pain.

Comment by Tracy Elliott – May 8, 2013 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here, have been watching Jeanne Cooper since 1974, my entire life! I feel like I’ve lost a family member today. Y & R will never be the same without her, my thoughts & prayers go out to her family, friends, and the rest of the cast at Y&R, as I know she will truly be missed. Rest in peace Jeanne, you will not be forgotten ~ Carolyn

Comment by Carolyn – May 8, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP a true legend, she was one of the greats. I know some people joke about soap opera acting but back in its prime years ago when soaps started most actors were hired right out of the Theater in NY (not like today were they are either models or have no experience)

Comment by Amy – May 8, 2013 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rest in peace Mrs. C.

Comment by Seth – May 8, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a sad day.

Comment by Linda – May 8, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sorry to hear of her passing! My prayers go out to her entire family.

Comment by Ashley – May 8, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Y&R just won’t be the same without her.

Comment by Lisa Johnson (@Lisa_JDC) – May 8, 2013 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • :-( RIP Jeanne. We will miss you.

Comment by Sherrie – May 8, 2013 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rest in peace, and thanks for decafesr of characters I won’t forget.

Comment by jen – May 8, 2013 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO SO SAD MAY YOU REST IN PEACE JEANNE COOPER ( MRS. C)

Comment by Billie Young – May 8, 2013 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rest in peace, Mrs. C.

Comment by jen – May 8, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Today America has lost a Mother and a Grandmother to many ppl. My condolences to the Corbin family. My heart is heavy

Comment by Desiree – May 8, 2013 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You will be sadly missed RIP

Comment by jill – May 8, 2013 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so sad to hear of her passing only minutes ago. I have watched her for many years. Y&R will never be the same without her. To her family, my thoughts & prayers are with you as you loose this wonderful lady.

Comment by Judy Ingram – May 8, 2013 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sorry to hear of Jeanne Cooper’s passing. She was one of a kind! I have been watching the show Y & R since it began. Really going to miss her. Prayers and thoughts to the family.

Comment by Helen Carellas – May 8, 2013 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • R.I.P. and condolences to your family.

Comment by Anna Paolinelli (@AnnaPaolinelli1) – May 8, 2013 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • R , I P i truly mean this from my heart ,this lady was really a part of my family,i was young and i wanted to be just like her,i allways thought she was so pretty and also i loved her power on the young and restless..i will truly miss this grand person,,,,,,,,,,,

Comment by Barbara Moss – May 8, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • she was a great lady she will be missed R I P from christine from clinton ontario canada

Comment by christine – May 8, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You were a wonderful actor and person. My heart breaks that you had to leave us but know someday we will see you again. God bless you and your family. I pray that He gives them the comfort they need to cope with your passing.

Comment by Patti Weseman Komives – May 8, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My prayers go on to the family n her other family the cast of The Young & Restless because I know they R family to n will miss her deeply R.I.P Debbie ELLIS

Comment by Debbie Ellis – May 8, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP. you will be greatly missed.

Comment by Debbie – May 8, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES, SO SO SAD NEWS THE MORNING, MAY YOU REST IN PEACE JEANNE COOPER(MRS C), OUTSTANDING ACTRESS IN THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS, YOU WILL BE TOTALLY MISSED BY ALL OF YOUR FANS AT THAT!!!!!!

Comment by nancy gordon – May 8, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so sad to hear of the passing Jeanne cooper my heart is heavy also…she like a part of my family..god bless ..

Comment by Edie waters – May 8, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP Jeanne Cooper.

True legend. So sad. Prayers for her family.

Comment by Daniela – May 8, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So sad for the loss of this great star, who was just like family to so many. Our hearts go out to her actual family, as this must be an incredibly difficult time. She was loved.

Comment by cherylee Becker – May 8, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel as though I have lost a close member of the family…as Kay would do, show heaven how its done! You will be missed.

Comment by Tom Adams – May 8, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My heart aches!! My prayers goes out to her family and cast members. Rest n peace!

Comment by Tina – May 8, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so very very Sorry to hear, She will be forever Loved and Missed!! God Bless you Mrs C!!!

Comment by Kelly Theriot – May 8, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Truly an icon. There will never be another Jeanne Cooper. Or Kay Chancellor.

Comment by Joe R – May 8, 2013 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • rest in peace MS “C”

Comment by leroy hyman – May 8, 2013 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so sorry to hear of the lost of Mrs C.. I will miss her.. Prayers to the families and the family of Y&R

Comment by tmccoy8832@gmail.com – May 8, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you want to appreciate what a great actress Jeanne Cooper was, check out her work on “The Big Valley” with Barbara Stanwyck. I watched the episode this past week and Jeanne was absolutely riveting in her scenes with Ms. Stanwyck. She earned two primetime Emmy nominations in her career, in addition to her 10 nods for her work in daytime, and she deserved every one of them! RIP to an amazing actress.

Comment by Dave – May 8, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel like I lost member of my own family! I always read e-books but I had to buy a hardcover edition of Jeanne Cooper’s book and I’m glad I did– I can look at the pictures and remember her always. RIP Mrs.C

Comment by Nancy Iden, Forsyth, Mo. – May 8, 2013 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • been watching young and restless since it came on never can replace mrs. c

Comment by joan cole – May 29, 2013 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad to hear of this ;.( and prayers out to the family. Y n R will never be the same !!!

Comment by Faith Allen – May 8, 2013 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such a loss…rest in peace Mrs. C

Comment by Kelly – May 8, 2013 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She is a true legend! Beautiful woman on the inside and out. Had the great honor of meeting her. RIP Jeanne! Thank you for for all the timeless scenes on Y & R

Comment by Scott – May 8, 2013 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My Heart Goes Out To Her Family And Friends.I Loved Her Role on Y&R She Will Be Missed By Many Fans And Her Cast Mates RIP Mrs C <3

Comment by Evelyn Creppel – May 8, 2013 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THOUGHTS & PRAYERS ARE WITH HER FAMILY. U SHALL BE MISSED. LOVE YA !!!!!

Comment by SUSAN NOLEN – May 8, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP Your hard fought battle is over. You brought many hours of great entertainment to a lot of people. Deepest condolences to the families off and on screen.

Comment by Carol B – May 8, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very sad news. Our family has been watching Mrs. C. for the past 28 years. Y & R will not be the same without her. Our thoughts and prayers to all the family and her extended family on the show.

Comment by Keri – May 8, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such sad news. Rest in Peace, Jeanne.

Comment by Robin – May 8, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeanne you will be greatly missed! My prayers goes out to the family and cast members. May you Rest n peace.

Comment by Dianna – May 8, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All our love and prayers Corbin to you and your family during this time.

Comment by Lori – May 8, 2013 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My heart hurts…RIP Jeanne Cooper. Prayers for the family.

Comment by Rose – May 8, 2013 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As her only neighbors on Edwin, we shared a life and a driveway…
    She was the best next door neighbor anyone could wish for.
    We would always see her car pull up or getting the mail and we would gab for hours in the driveway .
    We loved her rants….
    When we went to her 80th bday party, she made sure our son Joe was in ALL the family photos..we loved her for that.

Jeanie was an original…and she made the cul de sac on Edwin Drive a home for us all>
    It will never be as good..

They don’t make them better than Jeanie..

we will miss her more than you know…

Jeff and Mike

Comment by Jeff danis – May 8, 2013 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My daughter Natalie and I had the Privilage of meeting
    Jeanne Cooper on the Y&R set. My daughter was battling brain cancer and was there to meet Don aka Brad. Jeanne came over and introduced herself and Jill to my daughter saying Jill was the bitch of the show… We all laughed so hard…

RIP ^J^ soaring free on the wing of love…

Comment by Bella – May 8, 2013 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IT WAS A HONOR TO HAVE MEET WHEN YOU VISITED OHIO A FEW YEARS AGO AND THERE HAS BEEN FIVE GENERATION IN MY FAMILY THAT HAVE WATCH YOU FROM START TO THE END ..R.I.P JEANNE ….YOU WILL BE MISSED DEARLY ..MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO HER FAMILY .. I KNOW WHAT THIER FEELING… MY FATHER PASSED AWAY ON EASTER AT 78

Comment by Tami Shope – May 8, 2013 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • God has gained another angel, My prayers are with the family.

Comment by Mary Rickman – May 8, 2013 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • RIP… She has been like a grandma to me / are garndma you wish you had. She will be truly missed. Prayers to the family.

Comment by Yvonne H – May 8, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My heart goes out th her family. I just know she is entertaining the Angels in Heaven now. Thank you Katherine for the laughters and the tears i have been watching you for the last 38 years i will missed you. You are a true legend. I really loved you.

Comment by Veronica Reid. – May 8, 2013 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is so sad. She was an exceptional actress and will truly be missed.

Comment by Bb – May 8, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rest in Peace Jeanne. You were amazing and will be sorely missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to her children.

Comment by Engbunny – May 8, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She will truly be missed may she rest in peace

Comment by Sandra Norman – May 8, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • May God bless and comfort the family and cast. A great lady and actress. Rip in peace Jenna. You will always be remembered..

Comment by Bobbie – May 8, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am saddened with the news of Jeannie Cooper (Mrs. C) you will be missed, Rest in Peace Grande dame of the Y & R . You will never be forgotten. In hearts always

Comment by Alexa – May 8, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post