Fall TV Preview

Fall TV Scoop: Fox Picks Up 4 Dramas, Including J.J. Abrams Thriller and Sleepy Hollow Update

Fox New Series Fall 2013Fox has greenlit four new dramas for the 2013-14 season, including J.J. Abrams‘ futuristic cop thriller Almost Human (pictured, right) and a modern-day take on Sleepy Hollow.

Also receiving series orders from the network are Gang Related and Rake. For details on Fox’s five comedy pickups, click here.

Among the noteworthy drama pilots not getting the go-ahead from Fox: Felicity Huffman’s Boomerang, an adaptation of the Delirum novels and The List (costarring Grey’s newbie Hilarie Burton). (Fox’s complete development slate can be found here.)

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New

Here’s the logline/casting/pedigree info for each of the new series:

Gang Related (Drama)
EPs | Scott Rosenbaum (The Shield), Chris Morgan (Fast & Furious)
CAST | Terry O’Quinn (Lost), Ramon Rodriguez (Charlie’s Angels), Jay Hernandez (Last Resort), Sung Kang (The Fast and the Furious), Inbar Lavi (Underemployed), Rza, Cliff Curtis (Missing), Shantel VanSanten (One Tree Hill)
Follows a gang member sent in to infiltrate the San Francisco Police Department and rise through its ranks — ultimately landing on the Gang Task Force. There, he must balance his obligations to his crime family with an increasing sense of loyalty to his new “family” on the SFPD.

Almost Human (Drama)
EPs | J.H. Wyman, J.J. Abrams and Bryan Burk (Fringe)
CAST | Karl Urban (Star Trek), Michael Ealy (Common Law), Lili Taylor (Six Feet Under), Minka Kelly (Friday Night Lights), Michael Irby (The Unit), Mackenzie Crook (Pirates of the Caribbean), Mekia Cox
An action-packed buddy cop show set in the near future when all LAPD officers are partnered with highly evolved human-like androids.

RELATED | TVLine Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

Rake (Drama)
EPs | Peter Duncan (creator of the Australian series of the same name), Peter Tolan (Rescue Me), Michael Wimer, Greg Kinnear
CAST | Greg Kinnear (Little Miss Sunshine), Miranda Otto (Lord of the Rings), Necar Zadegan (Emily Owens, M.D.), Bojana Novakovic (Edge Of Darkness), John Ortiz (Luck), David Harbour (The Newsroom), Tara Summers (Boston Legal)
Centers around Keegan Joye, a brilliant but self-destructive criminal defense lawyer.

SLEEPY HOLLOWSleepy Hollow (Drama)
EPs | Alex Kurtzman and Bob Orci (Star Trek)
CAST | Orlando Jones (MADtv), Katia Winter (Dexter), Nicole Beharie (The Good Wife), Tom Mison (Parade’s End), guest star John Cho (Go On)
A modern-day supernatural thriller based on the legend of the titular Westchester Country, N.Y. town.

Comments (62)

• What’s going on with Spy?

Comment by Jules – May 8, 2013 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i was really excited for both delirium and boomerang :/

Comment by joão (@joaotc) – May 8, 2013 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I was definitely looking forward to Boomerang in particular.

Comment by wordsmith – May 8, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You and me both

Comment by Luke – May 8, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Disney needs to hurry up and order a series for Girl Meets World.

Comment by pcpurecommunity1234 – May 8, 2013 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m in for Almost Human and Sleepy Hollow!

Comment by Michelle – May 8, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like Ealy, but the premise of Almost Human isn’t appealing.

Comment by lyn – May 8, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • On the contrary, I like what I’ve heard about it, and what I’ve heard about the characters and the setting.

Comment by Donna – May 9, 2013 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s probably just me. IMO there are already too many people on this planet without manufacturing more.

Comment by lyn – May 9, 2013 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a little confused. When you guys say “for fall,” does that mean that all 4 of these shows are expected to start airing in the fall? I would think some of these are gonna wind up being mid-season shows next spring, no?

Comment by George – May 8, 2013 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pretty sure “Fall TV” is more or less a figure of speech here. I don’t think those fall/spring decisions are made for another week or so.

Comment by Lauren – May 8, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • At least one of these shows needs to be on after Bones in September, which may still be summer. Fall shows just mean new shows.

Where is Fox going to stick these new shows? Fridays?

Comment by Midori – May 8, 2013 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Expect to see a little less Gordon Ramsey until the next summer, or when some of these shows that are picked up fail.

Comment by Sg. Grant – May 8, 2013 10:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @Midori

I honestly think Bones is moving to Friday, especially if you believe DB’s tweet from yesterday. :(

Comment by Sarah – May 11, 2013 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes Gang Related! I’m so excited it got a pickup. Maybe Fox will pair Almost Human and Sleepy Hollow on Fridays for a scifi night a la The X-Files/brisco County Jr in 1993. Give Grimm a little genre competition.

Comment by Gory – May 8, 2013 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEAH! I will watch anything with Terry O’Quinn and Karl Urban

Comment by Taryn – May 8, 2013 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Almost Human” reminds me of “Future Cop” from 1976. Look it up on IMDB.com, kids.

Comment by Herbfan – May 8, 2013 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or Robocop: The Series

Comment by Len – May 9, 2013 04:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL. I remember people saying that Fringe sounded like The X-Files. Didn’t turn out that way, did it?

Comment by Donna – May 9, 2013 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah, X-files was much better!

Comment by Jay – May 9, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Wrong again.

Comment by Donna – May 9, 2013 08:30 AM PDT
  • Congrats to Joel, JJ, Bad Robot, and the whole fringe crew in vancouver!! super excited about Human!! Congrats also to Alex Kurtzman and Bob Orci on the Sleepy Hollow pick up! #FringeFamily <3

Comment by angela (@angelamorales18) – May 8, 2013 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so disappointed Delirium didn’t get picked up. It looked promising.

Comment by Michelle – May 8, 2013 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will watch Gang Related for Shantal VanSanten, regardless of how it looks. But I will wait for the trailers to decide on the others.

Comment by Joe – May 8, 2013 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • omg i really wanted fox to pick up delirium. and nbc didnt pick up the sixth gun another show i was looking forward to. none of these shows look interesting to me. might watch almost human to see how it is. will definitely not watch sleepy hollow. it took up deliriums chance to get picked up.

Comment by julio – May 8, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just order the Michael Schur/Dan Goor pilot and I’ll be a happy camper.

Comment by Superhero – May 8, 2013 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Fox expanding to 10 pm? Because they renew almost all of it’s shows. And with comedies still missing.. Maybe some of them will go midseason or take the place of some show that gets canceled.

Comment by LE – May 8, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Rake is going midseason.

Comment by Teag – May 8, 2013 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rake is for midseason i hear, but still:

Monday

Thursday
    The X Factor/American Idol (Midseason) – 8/7c
    Either Glee or Almost Human/ Rake (Midseason)- 8/7c

Friday
    Glee/Almost Human – 8/7c
    Sleepy Hollow – 9/8c

By the look of the schedule, it seems like they will have to put at least one new show on Friday, even if Glee goes there in the fall.

Comment by Martin – May 8, 2013 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also, of the four new shows ordered today so far, I will probably watch Gang Related and Almost Human.

Comment by Martin – May 8, 2013 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Plus, I’m sort of hoping/half expecting at least The X Factor to be cut down to two hours, either just Wed 8-10 or 8-9 on Wed and 8-9 on Thurs

Comment by Martin – May 8, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I do/don’t think FOX would move Glee to Fridays. Don’t because its been renewed for 2 years and a safe bet but do because its been renewed for 2 years and ratings are falling…may ship it off to Friday nights.

Comment by Amy – May 8, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This comment is so intriguing.

Comment by Dana – May 12, 2013 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sleepy Hollow sounds like the only one worth watching.

Comment by Kristi – May 8, 2013 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m interested in Sleepy Hollow. It’s too bad about Delirium because that one sounded really good.

Comment by AT – May 8, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t like the premises for either Gang Related or Almost Human but I like the people involved in both so I’ll check it out.

Comment by nick1372 – May 8, 2013 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wanted to see Delirium

Comment by Fabe – May 8, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I met John Cho and Len Wiseman briefly during the filming of the Sleepy Hollow pilot, which was partially filmed in my apartment building. They are both very nice guys. Looking forward to seeing parts of the building on film when it airs.

Comment by John Allan – May 8, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there any chance Delirium could be picked up by another channel?

Comment by Fabe – May 8, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not surprised FOX passed on Delirium. It sounded more in The CW’s wheelhouse.

Comment by Christian – May 8, 2013 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree – I thought the same.

Comment by JC – May 8, 2013 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Gang Related” looks like a poor imitation of “The Shield”, “Almost Human” just looks terrible…a wannabe “Terminator”, “The Rake” might be okay but the show about Sleepy Hollow…really? It’s been done! Fox looks like it’s in for terrible ratings next year!

Comment by Tracy – May 8, 2013 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All of us have different tastes. Will not even check out “Rake”, but am THRILLED that the other three got picked up, and will definitely watch. lol

Comment by MaryAnn – May 8, 2013 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Okay, what am I missing? I don’t see The Shield comparison to Gang Related…

Comment by Julie – May 8, 2013 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I see Gang Related as more of a The Departed, set in San Francisco. I fully expect there to also be an undercover cop that has infiltrated the gang.

Comment by Sg. Grant – May 8, 2013 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Right there with you!

Comment by Miranda – May 9, 2013 12:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m new to this whole picking up of TV series…. does this mean, there is no chance that Delirium, Boomerang or The List get picked up?
    Could Fox reconsider those pilots for a spring schedule, or mabye next year/TV season?
    And could another network pick up those pilots, so that the shows run there?
    Sorry, if these seem like dumb questions, I just don’t know anything about it.

Comment by Jules – May 9, 2013 12:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s a pity. I was really exited about “The List” with Gary Cole. So no FOX drama next season for me. :(

Comment by Karoline – May 9, 2013 01:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • None of those sound interesting to me.

Comment by Tee – May 9, 2013 04:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Karl Urban in anything is awesome :) Sure wish they’d try some of these shows out over the summer…I have always hated summer, even as a child, too bad they don’t reply the seasons over the summer so we can catch up on things we missed. SICK OF REALITY shows!!!!

Comment by Belle – May 9, 2013 05:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *replay not reply…stupid spell check!

Comment by Belle – May 9, 2013 05:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can they reconsider Boomerang and The List?

Comment by Marco – May 9, 2013 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Almost Human or Rake get a season 2 from Fox, I’ll then watch the DVD’s and catch up. Love Karl Urban. How the heck did they land him?

Comment by Renee – May 9, 2013 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, maybe the script was actually good. Or something like that.

Comment by Donna – May 9, 2013 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With 4 new dramas, I have a feeling Bones is moving to Friday. :(

Comment by Sarah – May 9, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oooo does the tag “guest star” on John Cho mean there’s still hope for Go On to… ya know… go on?

Comment by DreamRose311 – May 9, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh, noooooo Rake (Aussie version) was incredible. precedence shows it being redone up here will crash and burn. drat. guess i will just have to wait for the Aus DVD’s (I have a vague hope I am wrong) The brilliant actors in the original … against Greg Kinnear?

Comment by Curt – May 9, 2013 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am shocked that Boomerang wasn’t picked. i loved the premise and I wanted to see Felicity Huffman back on my screen :( I hope ABC pick it up or something.

I’m really shocked the List wasn’t chosen, it seemed like it could’ve been a really good show.

Comment by Cherry – May 9, 2013 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely J.J. Abrams’, “Almost Human,” and I’ll probably try, “Gang Related.” I might try the other two as I always like to give scripted shows a chance. I have to say that a writer should know that you can “revolve around” or “center on” something, but “center around” as used in the “Rake” description is incorrect English.

Comment by Sable – May 9, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post