Fall TV Scoop: Fox Orders 5 Comedies, Including Chris Meloni's Jack and Ritter-Bledel Sitcom

Fox New Series Fall 2013Piggybacking on Wednesday’s drama pickups, Fox has ordered five new comedy series for the 2013-14 season, including the Jason Ritter/Alexis Bledel romantic satire Us & Them (fka Friends & Family) and the Andy Samberg-fronted sitcom Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Also receiving series orders from the network are the military-themed Enlisted, Chris Meloni’s Surviving Jack and Seth MacFarlane’s previously-greenlit live-action sitcom Dads.

Among the noteworthy comedy pilots not getting the go-ahead from Fox: Rob Riggle’s Gabriels and the Kelli Garner starrer Two Wrongs. (Fox’s complete development slate can be found here.)

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New

Here’s the logline/casting/pedigree info for each of the new series:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Comedy)
EPs | Mike Schur and Dan Goor (Parks and Recreation)
CAST | Andy Samberg (Saturday Night Live), Andre Braugher (Last Resort), Terry Crews (Are We There Yet?), Melissa Fumero (One Life to Live), Joe Lo Truglio (Free Agents)
The single-camera project revolves around a diverse group of detectives in a precinct at the very edge of New York City.

Dads (Comedy)
EPs | Seth MacFarlane (Family Guy), Alec Sulkin and Wellesley Wild
CAST | Seth Green (Family Guy), Giovanni Ribisi (Friends), Brenda Song (The Suite Life On Deck), Peter Riegert (The Good Wife), Martin Mull (Roseanne, Arrested Development), Tonita Castro (Go On), Erin Pineda, Vanessa Lachey (Hawaii Five-0)
The live-action, multi-cam comedy, which has already earned a six-episode order, revolves around two successful guys in their 30s who find their lives turned upside-down when their nightmare fathers unexpectedly move in with them.

RELATED | TVLine Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

Enlisted (Comedy)
EP | Kevin Biegel (Cougar Town)
CAST | Keith David (The Cape), Geoff Stults (The Finder), Parker Young (Suburgatory), Chris Lowell (Private Practice), Angelique Cabral (Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23)
Based on Biegel’s relationship with his siblings, this single-cam comedy follows three very different brothers working together in the Army at a small base in Florida.

Surviving Jack (Comedy)
EPs | Bill Lawrence (Cougar Town), Patrick Schumacker ($#*! My Dad Says), Jeff Ingold, Justin Halpern ($#*! My Dad Says)
CAST | Chris Meloni (Law & Order: SVU), Alex Kapp Horner (The New Adventures of Old Christine), Connor Buckley (Deception), Claudia Lee (Hart of Dixie), Kevin Hernandez, Tyler Foden
An adaptation of Halpern’s book I Suck at Girls, the single-cam comedy tells the story of “a boy becoming a man and a man becoming a father, in a time before ‘coming of age’ was something you could Google.”

Us & Them (Comedy)
EPs | David Rosen (I Just Want My Pants Back), Gavin & Stacey creators James Corden and Ruth Jones, Jane Tranter, Julie Gardner and Henry Normal
CAST | Jason Ritter (Parenthood), Alexis Bledel (Gilmore Girls), Kurt Fuller (Psych), Jane Kaczmarek (Malcolm in the Middle), Kerri Kenney (Reno 911!), Dustin Ybarra
A single-camera adaptation of the UK series Gavin & Stacey, about two very different lovers who try to make a long-distance relationship work.

1. Wouter says:

Dads, Enlisted and Us and Them for me. Enlisted has a great cast!

2. Rrrrrr says:

I feel awful because I really wanted Ritter’s sitcom to be not picked up so he could go back to Parenthood.

• Jason says:

I think Ritter should move into an apartment with two sexy women who live above their nosy neighbors and Ritter has to pretend he’s gay or be kicked out. Thered be all kinds of misunderstandings and physical comedy!!!

• B says:

Me too. And same with Young for Suburgatory, though Enlisted sounds worth it.

3. Superhero says:

Where the hell are they gonna air all of these shows?

• Teag says:

Bumping X Factor to an hour? Expanding into 10 pm? We’ll have to see.

• Dianne says:

Good point!

• Sg. Grant says:

I think they just overbooked the comedies and dramas so they can air a group of them in the fall, then in the spring, replace the ones that under-perform with whatever is not aired in the fall.

• Midori says:

Fox didn’t pick up that many shows this year, and they failed. There is time after Bones in the fall, and all of Friday. Plus Fox is more willing to show all the episodes of something in a row, like cable.

Fox will never expand into 10pm, no money in it for them.

4. Jason says:

I was still holding out hope that Lorne Michaels would come to his senses and put Andy Sandberg in the post Jimmy Fallon LAte Night instead of that smarmy Seth Meyers but this show sounds good and always love to see Jo Lo Truglio on my TV. (I would actually cast him as the lead!!!

5. Babygate says:

So Fox is going after the male demo with a vengeance. Wonder if this will impact CBS in any way. Not one of this gets my attention. Then again, I’m not their demo.

6. Jason says:

AM I going crazy or is today Wednesday, not thursday!!

7. Chris says:

I love Alexis Bledel ad the rest of the cast sounds good but I hate that they are remaking Gavin and Stacey, The Uk version is such a unique and delightful show I really can’t imagine any other version being as good,

• Deb says:

Me either ! Love Jason Ritter, but I’m not sure how a remake could in any way compare to the comic perfection of Gavin & Stacey.

8. J says:

There’s a Mike Schur-produced series starring André Braugher coming?

Hold on, I need to sit down for second…

9. Linda says:

I love how they mention Hawaii Five-0 as Vanessa Lachey tv credit. She was on one freaking episode. I might give Us and Them a try just for Jason, Alexis and Kurt (Supernatural’s Zachariah)

10. Jared says:

I LOVE that Christopher Meloni is switching it up and doing comedy and that Alexis Bledel is back on tv. Fox has some great stars in new series for next season.

11. Dianne says:

Regarding the 2 Southland stars that did pilots before the end of the season/series, were either of those picked up? Thank you in advance. Any news on Southland’s renewal?

• Meg says:

I’m not sure what channel Regina King’s pilot was for, but Ben Mckenzie has a CBS pilot. I think upfronts are next week or the week after, so we should find out then.

12. Lorena says:

Enlisted! Yay, The “Body” Shay again in my screen

13. Tracy says:

None of these look good! Us and Them might have possibilities but that’s about it!

14. Martin says:

Forgot that Claudia Lee was in that show, no Magnolia around in Hart Of Dixie next season, If the show doesn’t do well, they should bring her back and make her a series regular.

• ggny says:

Ya im really hoping Hart of Dixie is in 1st place for her and they up her to series regular. Hopefully TVLine has some news on that front in the next few days

15. ggny says:

No surprises from Fox. Next!

16. CJ says:

I hear FOX is going to change it up next year. They’re getting rid of Animation Domination on Sundays and moving either GLEE to Sundays with two comedies or moving the X-Factor/American Idol there and Mondays. They’re moving Simpsons, Family Guy, Bob’s Burgers and American Dad to Saturdays as this will probably be the final year for both Simpsons and Family Guy. Cleveland Show is canceled. Remember Cops and America’s Most Wanted are no longer there and they think this will be a bold move to lure viewers on Saturdays.

• Zachary says:

Final year for Simpsons and Family Guy? I doubt it. They’re cash cows. Do I believe they might move to Saturday? I can see that.

• James says:

The Simpsons was almost cancelled back in 2011, but everyone took a pay cut so they could keep going. Currently, they’re only renewed through next season. Plus, it’s the 25th season so that seems like a good place to stop. So it seems fairly likely that it’ll end after next season.

I don’t think they would get rid of Family Guy just yet; they have a hard enough time keeping new shows in the animated block that they could probably only handle trying to integrate just one show to replace The Simpsons into it. Or just air repeats of The Simpsons from all 25 years.

17. Karoline says:

“Dads” has Giovanni Ribisi? Adore him. For me it’s “Dads” and “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” ’cause I miss comedies about cops.

18. Tee says:

There are a couple of performers that I’d like to see – Ritter, Braugher, Ribisi in particular, but none of these shows seems too interesting. Not quite as bad as the mediocre drama list but meh.
    And Us & Them seems to have massive flop written all over it (no, I don’t want it to flop, it just doesn’t seem like something that will return the ratings Fox would want).

19. Lizzy says:

Most shows don’t seem very interesting to check out to me, but maybe a promo could change my mind.

20. lyn says:

Yes to Us & Them. No to the rest.

21. Ally Oop says:

FOX didn’t have many pilots that caught my interest this spring EXCEPT Us and Them and Gang Related so I’m thrilled both made the cut. Alexis Bledel is just so darn likeable in anything she is in and I love Jason Ritter too so OlI think the show has a good fighting chance.

22. Zachary says:

I’ll check them out to U+T and Dads. As for the others…

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

23. Meg says:

I’m just excited that Chris Meloni will be back on my TV!

24. Nan says:

Sure this is a stupid question but what are (is) EPs?

25. Maggie says:

Love Jason Ritter. I will watch anything he is in.

26. Hannah says:

I really really love Jason Ritter, and I want to say I will follow him to any show/movie, but I really can’t watch Alexis Bledel butcher another role. I just can’t.

27. lila says:

ritter romanced two of the gilmore girls. how odd!! haha