Scoop: NBC Expands The Office Series Finale

The Office Series Finale NBC is super-sizing The Office‘s series finale.

TVLine has confirmed that the network is tacking on an extra 15 minutes to the show’s May 16 swan song, with the episode now airing from 9 to 10:15 pm EST. (An hour-long retrospective show will precede the last episode from 8-9 pm).

RELATED | Exclusive: Steve Carell Is Returning for the Office Series Finale

A special 45-minute Hannibal will follow at 10:15 pm with limited commercial interruption.

Back in March at the Office wrap party, exec producer Greg Daniels told TVLine, “I was very excited with the [finale] footage that we’ve gotten. It’s very big. I’m going to beg NBC to super-size it or extend it.”

RELATED | Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Fave Series’ Endgames

Those quotes prompted fans to start a petition urging NBC president Robert Greenblatt to give Daniels the extra time he needs. Mission accomplished!

Thoughts? Which Office vet should be primary beneficiary of those extra 15 minutes? Hit the comments!

1. B says:

Thank God! Every last moment will count!

2. Aprilcot says:

Glad to hear this. I know The Office isn’t what it once was, but I still watch it and love it. I may have to call in to work that night…

3. Love it and I just caught up, I cried after last week’s hour long episode

• Edie says:

I cried too. What an episode, what a series. It was the best 9 years I’ve ever spent with people other than my family.

4. Babybop says:

I think this season of The Office has been hilarious, and getting back to the way it used to be. I’m glad that it’s going to end on a high note, much like House did!

5. Mash Mouth says:

Dwight, of course. It will set him up for his own spinoff series.

6. Melissa says:

Creed. Most underrated character on the show.

7. Lisa says:

Love The Office. Don’t want it to end. Love Andy Jim Pam and everyone!!!

8. april-ann says:

That’s great news! The Office has been so great lately that I will take every minute I can get. As much as I like Erin and Pete, just want to say that my very favorite “couple” to have emerged from this season is Angela and Oscar. Pure gold.

• Kira says:

I agree!!! Their scene in the car last week actually made me tear up. They’re turning out to be best friends :)

9. caileyclow says:

so excited!!!! I’ll take whatever I can possibly get for the finale. What an amazing show.

10. mondosalvo says:

The show definitely had a few really bleak seasons there in the middle of its run, but has redeemed itself fully over the past season and a half. Looking forward to actually bidding farewell to a GOOD show rather than a show that used to be good.

• JB Smooove says:

so agree with you mondo, glad the office was able to turn it around for the final season.

ps, i hate andy bernard, since his beginnging.

11. rockgolf says:

Good news for The Office fans.
    Bad news for Hannibal fans.

12. Brooke says:

Seriously, after the gutted one Hannibal episode down to web clips, they’re shrinking another episode? Is it even worth watching the episodes waiting for me on Tivo?

13. Mari says:

It was a great run for The Office. I don’t want it to go. But I’m happy it lasted this long.

14. Ruby says:

Man, I thought I was ready for the end of The Office, but I’m really, truly not. I can’t even think about it without tearing up.

15. kcflake says:

I love the office and hate to see it go. Michael scott, jim, dwight pam, phyllis and the rest have been great. I could have done without the jim spader episodes. He was a terrible replacement for carrell. I likedwill andy bernard but couldit have donethe without sothe much singingit from him. Thanks a great 9 seasons. I will be watching my office box sets for years. about to cry writing this comment. “That’s what she said.