Orphan Black EPs on Paul and Sarah's Twisted Romance, Big Alison Episode and More Clones

Orphan Black Season 1 SpoilersThe recently renewed BBC America thriller Orphan Black will continue to throw viewers curveballs and clones when the drama ventures to the ‘burbs this Saturday at 9/8c.

TVLine chatted with creator Graeme Manson and exec producers Ivan Schneeberg and David Fortier to find out if Sarah and Paul are developing real feelings for each other, whether more clones are on the way and much more.

RELATED | Doctor Who Season 7 Finale to Reveal Doctor’s Name

TVLINE | What was the thinking behind the clone element? That’s a huge undertaking for a TV show.
GRAEME MANSON | I was really interested in it psychologically. We thought the nature-nurture question was really rich territory story-wise. For John [Fawcett], my partner [on] the director side, he was really excited by the visual challenges and the technical side of things, but also the fun of doppelgangers and switcheroos and that kind of thing that we like to do on the show.

TVLINE | When you have shows like this that are very mythology driven, there can be some hesitation or worry on the part of the audience about where it’s all going. Is there a show bible in place?
MANSON | We certainly had a season bible, and we have a big picture plan. We know where it’s going, and we have a lot of the answers. It’s just a matter of where those answers fall. They’re more like tentpoles along the way, and we have some big Season 2 [and] 3 ideas.

TVLINE | The execution of this show really hinges on your lead actress. David and Ivan, having worked with Tatiana [Maslany] on Being Erica, you obviously knew she had talent. But did you realize just how crazy talented she was?
IVAN SCHNEEBERG | The short answer is yes. … It’s immediately noticeable when you work with her that she’s an extremely talented actress. Frankly, very, very early on, we had a sense that she could be the right one to take on this role. And when she auditioned, that became clear to all of us.
DAVID FORTIER | Ironically, we were trying to think of things we could do with Being Erica because [it] had its own challenges in terms of keeping the stories fresh and trying to keep on building on the mythology. We had high hopes that if Being Erica was to continue, to make Tatiana a focal point of the series just because of how talented she was and what she brought to the show.
SCHNEEBERG | [To play these roles on Orphan Black] day after day, week after week, episode after episode, it’s one thing to pull it off, especially on a one-time basis, but to do it consistently it really is… There’s just an element of stamina that most people don’t have.

RELATED | Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Casts David Tennant, Billie Piper, John Hurt

TVLINE | Do you have a favorite clone to write for?
MANSON | I’m a big Cosima fan. I like writing Alison, but I really, really love Cosima.

TVLINE | What’s in store for this Saturday’s episode?
MANSON | We spend a little more time with Alison, and we take Sarah to the suburbs, which is interesting. Obviously, some confluence of events from last week are continuing. All of the suspicions are continuing. It’s a really fun and very individual episode.

TVLINE | Paul and Sarah are really starting to grow on one another. How is their relationship going to evolve?
MANSON | Paul’s got some surprises up his sleeve, for sure, and Sarah’s been playing pretty fast and loose with Paul. But she’s probably denying a certain amount of attraction with Paul. And certainly, Paul has been knocked off kilter as he was falling back for Beth only to discover that it was Sarah. So he’s got a whole pack of worms on his hands with her and his emotions with her, as well as they’re under the eye, apparently, of a larger conspiracy.

Orphan Black Season 1 SpoilersTVLINE | So far, we’ve seen a lot of Alison becoming more of a character in her own right, and now it seems like Cosima’s stepping into the spotlight.
MANSON | We purposely teased it out. We didn’t want it to be really easy for them to form this super clone team and just go out and kick ass. We wanted it to take a while. They don’t trust each other. Sarah doesn’t trust anybody so she had to learn to trust them. As Sarah’s eyes open up, the audiences’ eyes open up on the other girls, as well, and we get to look into Cosima’s world. We do spend more time at the University of Minnesota and Cosima is as integral to the story, certainly, as Alison and Sarah.

TVLINE | We’ve met so many clones already. Are there more that you hope to introduce?
MANSON | There’s always the chance of another clone, but we’re very [cautious about] overdosing. It’s not a clone-of-the-week show. It’s a character drama. It’s a sci-fi character drama that happens to be populated by clones. They’re not cannon fodder. We don’t have a lot of red shirts — but maybe a few.

TVLINE | You brought up the idea of monitors watching them. How’s that going to influence the other clones’ storylines? We’ve seen Sarah’s monitor, Paul, but obviously there’s others…
MANSON | We’ll see who all has a monitor. The first thing they have to do is find that out, so I don’t want to go too far into that. But it’s an onion, and there’s layers to peel back. So whether or not they all have one, that’s certainly a first step into our mystery.

TVLINE | Random question: It’s great how Spice Girls and Cardigans songs are playing at Alison’s party in this week’s episode. Was that just a music supervisor having fun?
FORTIER | The idea was that this is the kind of music that she’d be listening to because that’s the kind of girl she is. The point is anytime we’ve got an opportunity to take advantage of that, we certainly always set aside money in the budget to do it when we can.
MANSON | And John sure loves the Alison character and loves the suburbs. He was adamant that we should get a op 40 [hit], and we should get some real cheese factor out of Alison’s taste. [Laughs]

1. scorpionglow says:

I didn’t expect to like this show, but it’s brilliantly done. Cosima is one of my faves too.

• Dan says:

Cosima is my favorite too, she’s gorgeous err..well, Tatiana Maslany is gorgeous I should say.

• scorpionglow says:

She’s the more adorable of the three. They’re also starting to act more like sisters in how they speak to each other, which is kind of cute. I hope they pay Tatiana a lot having to play so many characters. LOL.

2. Dan says:

I love ‘Orphan Black’ and I’m so glad it’s been renewed and is getting a lot of attention over the past few days, seem like it’s finally catching on. The season is half over, but there is plenty of time for new viewers to jump on, so get to it! — Warning: You will become obsessed w/’Orphan Black’ like the rest of us and/or start crushin’ hardcore on Tatiana Maslany and her acting ability, she definitely needs to be nominated for an Emmy.

• yless says:

Completely agree, this is the kind of show that can have a huge cult following, a la Buffy.I don’t thing the clueless people at the EMMys, is going to recognize the outstanding work of Tatiana Maslany, she sure is doing the best work on TV by far.

• Kristoffer says:

I shared the link BBC sent out for the first episode and several of my Facebook friends watched it… and loved it. Bad thing was none of the other episodes are online so a few people thought they were too far behind in episodes to start watching. I hope BBC will do a marathon of all the shows before the season finale. This show has turned out to be one of my new favorites!

3. Linderella says:

I’ve been sharing everywhere about this show…even my 86 year old mother watches it and loves it!

4. Trenton says:

I noticed it was said that Paul was Sarah’s monitor…not true…he was Beth’s…It seems like Sarah is the original b/c the others can’t have children possibly. I still think Sarah might have a monitor and there are 3 striking possibilities one of which is holding on to her daughter ;p

• cjeffery7 says:

the only reason i DON”T think sarah is the original is because it’d be a little too predictable at this point, at least it was set up fairly obviously when alison briefly contemplated the baby thing. i could eat my words in the future, but i think it’d be more interesting to see the original being like, older or something, and have it be some weird experiment trying to recreate someone from the past. like the big boss of the monitors is the original or something. im being intentionally vague on my ideas because i dont want to over-analyze it all and let myself down later when i’m not even remotely correct. =)

• MV says:

I completely agree! I’m thinking Sarah might be the last clone (ie: the perfected final clone), having successfully given birth to a child biologically.

5. xander says:

Love this show too, you never quite know what’s going to happen next it’s so unpredictable!

Can’t say that about too many shows on tv these days, so glad it’s been renewed for a Season 2 today!

Way to go OB!

6. Simone says:

Orphan Black is my favorite new show!! I love that TVLine is giving it so much coverage because I have not seen anyone else talking about it and it is so good! Tatiana Maslany makes it, because each clone feels so rich and authentic. Cannot wait to see where this season goes.

• Ashley says:

HAHAHA vic got his ass kicked by paul…………….so funny to see alison aka soccer mom not knowing what she’s doing to her hubby thinking he’s her watcher. cosima NEEDS to watch her back. Anyhow paul is FREAKIN HOT YUMMMM!!!!!!!!! THIS SHOW IS AWESOME .

I THINK BOTH SARAH AND PAUL WILL HAVE SOME SORT OF FEELINGS FOR EACH OTHER.

7. Chris says:

OMFG I love Orphan Black it’s so damn good! My favorite is Allison and Cosmia. I’m really interested in the other blonde clone who I can’t think of her name. If TM doesn’t get Emmy recognition I swear that award show will be a joke. She’s playing five different roles so freaking far! I’ve never seen anyone do that besides DOOL with Kristen and Susan Banks et al. What makes it better is the supporting cast. They add to the layers I love her brother who name escapes me now, the guardian of her Monkey, and Paul. I’m just in love with this show!

8. Allen says:

There is a possibility that all of the clones, being identical, are capable of having children like Kira, but their conceptions get terminated with the regular nocturnal examinations and this may have an impact later on Allison.

9. Missy Kelly says:

OMG! This show is freaking great! Tonight’s episode was fantastic! Don’t know how they do it or how far in advance this is thought out but cannot believe week to week the twists and turns. How about Tatiana as the performer of every week. Not sure how many actresses could pull this off. I know it’s a long shot but someone should be putting her Emmy reel together now.

10. Sparky says:

So addicted and in love with this show. Can’t wait to see what happens next. Vic is the only annoying character on the show…what if he is a monitor…hope not!!!

11. Kris For says:

My theory is that Mrs. S used to be Sarah’s monitor. But I think seeing the tests done on younger Sarah took its toll, and that’s why they moved to the US. I would assume that Mrs. S is also protecting Kira to avoid the testing also. I agree that Sarah should be the “perfected clone”. Once the genetic company realizes it’s actually Sarah, they’ll try to subject her to further testing. While (uber hunkalicious) Paul is developing feelings for Sarah, I doubt his motives are completely benevolent. He is, afterall, being duped into an unethical science experiment for which he does not understand its intentions.
    Props to Ms. Maslany for pulling off her many characters (and Mr. Gavaris also). This show deserves major buzz… I’m obsessed !!
    — check out space.ca for more episodes !!

12. Lexie says:

I was looking very much forward to watching Orphan Black after seeing the countless commericals for it on TV….and I’m so glad I stuck to it!
    Every episode is an adventure that draws me in and holds me to the very end. I love the conflict/communication between the clones–and I’m curious to see who is the original.
    The tense (sexy) relationship between Sarah and Paul has me on the edge of the couch, waiting for more or something unexpected…(especially after seeing April 11’s episode; loved it).
    And…gotta love Felix.

Tatiana is a brilliant actress, flawless in every performance. She deserves a lot for her unique (and rare, I should say) talent. I hope she wins an award and that the show itself wins multiple awards. People are missing out on something incredible…

13. Tom Cusic says:

Helena is by far my favorite clone. Like Hit Girl, she’s a killer you have to love.