Do You Have Use for ABC's Family Tools?

Get More: Polls, Recaps

Family Tools Season 1Family Tools debuted Wednesday at 8:30/7:30 (ABC) — will you make room for it on your workbench?

The comedy introduces the Shea family, whose patriarch Tony (The Closer‘s J.K. Simmons) suffers a heart attack and realizes he can no longer handle the family handyman business alone. One problem: The logical candidate, his son Jack (Perfect CouplesKyle Bornheimer), is a chronic screw-up with a less-than-stellar career history. Everyone, naturally, is waiting for him to biff big-time in this latest pursuit.

Rounding out the cast are Leah Remini (King of Queens) as Jack’s Aunt Terry, Johnny Pemberton (21 Jump Street) as his cousin Mason, Edi Gathegi (X Men: First Class) as Tony’s assistant Darren and Danielle Nicolet (The Starter Wife) as Darren’s sister Stitch.

Joshua Sternin (That ’70s Show), J.R. Ventimilia (That ’70s Show), Mark Gordon (Grey’s Anatomy), Andrea Shay (It Takes a Village) and Paul Buccieri (Prime Suspect) executive-produce the series, which is based on the British sitcom White Man Van.

What did you think of Family Tools? Grade the premiere via the poll below, then back up your choice in the comments!

Tags: ,

Comments (55)

• Stopped after 8min… noname cast, not funny and f***ing shaky cam

Comment by Roger Canada – May 1, 2013 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • no name? I wouldn’t necessarily call J.K. Simmons no name …

Comment by Cherry – May 1, 2013 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ok… one name cast

Comment by Roger Canada – May 1, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Leah Remini..

And do you only watch TV shows where an actor has “a name”?

Comment by Rob – May 1, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • She was on the King Of Queens. Even a homemade sextape would have made her more famous.

Comment by Carla – May 1, 2013 09:01 PM PDT
          • A show that was watched by 10-14 million viewers, and lasted 207 episodes over 9 seasons.

Yeah, she needs a sex tape.

Comment by Midori – May 1, 2013 09:14 PM PDT
          • Well, SHE didn’t watch it so that’s clearly the only requirement on whether a show is popular or not.

Comment by KevyB – May 2, 2013 01:02 AM PDT
          • I love experts like Carla who think they know everything. Yeah…King of Queens was nothing. Only one of CBS’s most successful comedies lasting almost as long as Friends and Seinfeld, averaging over 10 mil viewers each week. Nine seasons…syndication … But it was nothing and so is Leah Remini. :-)

Comment by Jules – May 2, 2013 03:48 AM PDT
          • More importantly she starred in the “Who’s the Boss” Spin off, “Living Dolls”.

Comment by Jellymoff – May 2, 2013 09:07 AM PDT
  • I turned it off before the ten minute mark. Not funny at all.

Comment by J (@MusicandHouse) – May 1, 2013 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find Remini to be grating, and one dimensional. She’s always playing the same loudmouth bully type. What would it be like if she played sensitive and wounded?

Comment by Shazay – May 1, 2013 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well she did a good job when she had a miscarriage on King of Queens. I know that moment of her in the would have been nursery always makes my mom cry. So I think it’s unfair to say she can’t act, I think she’s just been type casted.

Comment by Mark – May 1, 2013 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will be seriously peeved if they don’t renew Suburgatory so they can keep this mess around.

Comment by Alichat – May 1, 2013 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wanted to like it because of Leah but after I watched some previews I knew not even she could make me watch. Still, I tuned in just to be sure and before the first scene was finished I was already done. Sorry Leah…

Comment by Babygate – May 1, 2013 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was pretty stinky. Shoulda just kept Suburgatory and The Neighbors around all season and shunted this and that other loser starring Sarah Chalke to summer.

Comment by Christian – May 1, 2013 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Subugratory and The Neighbours actually both saw their full seasons through. Fingers crossed they both be renewed.

Comment by Eran – May 2, 2013 12:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Neighbors only got 17 episodes, they should have gotten a few more, and there is no doubt that Subugratory will be back.

Comment by Midori – May 2, 2013 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I tried, didn’t last very long, changed it even before the first commercial break. All I could think was, he left The Closer spin-off for THIS??

But I did try!

Comment by scg – May 1, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Give it two or three episodes tops. :-(

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – May 1, 2013 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always watch The Middle & Modern Family & since there is only a half hour between the shows I find easier to just stay oh the channel or tune into another show a half hour in. So, usually I just don’t pay attention for the half hour. Tonight I thought I’d try this. It’s honestly just going to be another show that’s on purely for background noise until the shows I enjoy are on. I didn’t find it amusing or funny. Can’t see it lasting long.

Comment by Kate – May 1, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ***stay on the channel instead of tuning into another show a half hour in***

Comment by Kate – May 1, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well….we are going to give it a few episodes. I think it could be quirky/funny if they can settle into a groove. I don’t want to write something off right out of the gate. We’ll see. :)

Comment by Kim R – May 1, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They got Vern Schillinger to run around town in women’s cloths. Ill give it another week.

Comment by Anthony – May 1, 2013 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is this the first time fail has won?

Comment by Et al. – May 1, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched on DVR. Was ok. Gotta remember was the
    Pilot episode. Usually the eps get better. :-)

Comment by forwarddad – May 1, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even worse (if possible) than How To Live With Your Parents Longer Than The Title Of This Sitcom.
    Makes me miss The Neighbors. Yes, I said it – it was so bad, it made me miss The Neighbors!

Comment by Morgen – May 1, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This! ABC’s two latest sitcoms make me wonder if anyone at the network tests these shows with live audiences. No character in either of these shows is appealing, and they’re trapped in premises that seemed designed to have every week follow the same set-up: one generation gets on the other’s nerves (and by extension, ours). Perhaps this is all a reflection of the economy and the focus on finding laughs in straightened circumstances is timely, but there’s no downscale charm here as in “Roseanne” or “Raising Hope.”

Comment by schmed – May 2, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was okay. Hopefully it wont feel so forced next week.

Comment by Leigh – May 1, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It wasn’t great, but that is often the case with pilot episodes (first time you see the characters and all).
    I’ll give it a look for a couple of more episodes before deciding.
    I think its at least as good as “How to Live….”

Comment by J. Norman – May 1, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another Kyle Bornheimer show bound to get cancelled. I think White Van Man was way better.

Comment by Naomi – May 1, 2013 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How does Kyle Bornheimer still get gigs around town. He isn’t very funny at all. Very wooden. He must have some naughty pictures of some network executives.

Comment by Don D. – May 1, 2013 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched a few minutes. Leah Remini cast as a sister to JK Simmons? 16 year age difference! He looks like her dad who maybe had a daughter when he was young. These two don’t work as siblings! Loved Leah in KING OF QUEENS and not interested in watching her have to play second banana to a bunch of men who aren’t very funny. Tapping my fingers impatiently while I await the return of SUBURGATORY.

Comment by Monica – May 1, 2013 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i was liking it but it doesnt have lasting appeal will watch til they yank it

Comment by dude – May 1, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The beginning was so slow but I waited t hru and it got better. It has potential. Not better than suburgatory but it could be great.

Comment by edlow – May 1, 2013 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is wrong with ABC’s comedy development? First The Neighbors, then Malibu Country, then How to Live W/Parents and now this? Can no one there read a script and see it just isn’t funny? They would have been better off not sending any of these losers to series. I’d hate to see what they didn’t pick.

Comment by ThatBob – May 1, 2013 10:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What are you talking about? The Neighbors is actually pretty good and funny. I’ll agree those other 3 are kinda meh, but Neighbors actually rocks.

Comment by Eli – May 2, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Neighbors is dumb, dull, and operates on a base level of humor. And the low ratings say it was a poor choice for ABC.

Comment by ThatBob – May 2, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it. I found it funny, though I did have a hard time with Remini and Simmons as siblings. They don’t match up, really. But I do like it. It didn’t talk down, it didn’t make fun, it wasn’t overly cheesy or senimental. And that is one cute puppy. Who doesn’t love dogs?

Comment by S. – May 1, 2013 11:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I really hope Kyle Bornheimer can find a lasting gig.

Comment by Zachary – May 2, 2013 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another show ruined by an unnecessary remake. White Man Van wasn’t that great but this is abysmal. Bornheimer was on another Brit sitcom remake that tanked (Worst Week).

Comment by foodiepop – May 2, 2013 03:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Worst Week was funny tho

Comment by ghutch70 – May 2, 2013 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The British show was called “White Van Man” not “White Man Van” and it was at least funny. Unlike this pile of **** which failed to translate a single thing that worked in the original show.

Comment by Scott – May 2, 2013 04:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had the show on my DVR but after reading the comments on here I deleted it :( I watch too many shows already to waste my time with crappy ones. I hope the Goodwin Games does better!

Comment by Elyse – May 2, 2013 05:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think if they recast Leah Remini’s part and do some tweaking it could be a good show. Sorry Leah Remini fans, her “tough new yorker” act is stale and just too much! She’s a fine actress, but I think if they’d make her character this over the top June Cleaver type it would help a LOT! Potential if they can re-work some elements, recast some parts (not J.K. Simmons or Kyle Bornheimer though); Seinfeld wouldn’t have made it after 1 show airing…those first 6 episodes or so were really bad/rough! Shows need more than a few airings to get their footing :) Why is everyone so quick to cancel things??!!??!!??!!??!!

Comment by Aryn – May 2, 2013 05:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It didn’t start off that well, but it got better. I enjoyed it more than I enjoyed The Middle. Last night’s episode of The Middle made me cringe.

Comment by breealashon – May 2, 2013 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The storyline with Frankie and Sue was pretty bad, but the other storylines were still good.

Comment by Eli – May 2, 2013 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thought they tried to hard – threw too much out there and made it a bit chaotic. But, as said above, was the pilot and I will give it another shot the next episode to see if any better.

Comment by SoFla – May 2, 2013 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully this will make them realize they need to give the Neighbors another year. If you didn’t watch The Neighbors then don’t judge it on how you think it was because it actually turned out to be one of the funniest shows on Tv.

Comment by Thebrad – May 2, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree !
      This show was horrid.

Comment by Whatever – May 2, 2013 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hated The Neighbors when it first started, but it grew on me over the season, as soon as I started to realize they weren’t taking themselves too seriously. I enjoy their winks to the audience that they realize how ludicrous the premise is,especially in the season finale, when the aliens decided to stay on earth for–what did they say?–six or seven “seasons”. I’m glad I stuck with it, and in fact, that’s why I keep watching shows even though I might not like them at first.

Comment by TV Gord – May 2, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who was the neighbor with the three grandkids?

Comment by Kath – May 2, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He looked and sounded like Elliot Gould….

Comment by Kath – May 2, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This could make it if you would slow it down so the characters could be developed like The Middle and Mike and Molly. Too many people introduced on the first show. Not enough “ineptness” with tools which is a theme. Rewrite and keep trying.

Comment by BarbaraGreen – May 9, 2013 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show has nothing to offer. Not funny, the plot is all over the place, terrible writing. Remini’s role was brilliant in the King Of Queens, but casting gave her a character who, in a comedy, is not funny at all.

Comment by damididude – June 2, 2013 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post