Do You Have Use for ABC's Family Tools?

Family Tools Season 1Family Tools debuted Wednesday at 8:30/7:30 (ABC) — will you make room for it on your workbench?

The comedy introduces the Shea family, whose patriarch Tony (The Closer‘s J.K. Simmons) suffers a heart attack and realizes he can no longer handle the family handyman business alone. One problem: The logical candidate, his son Jack (Perfect CouplesKyle Bornheimer), is a chronic screw-up with a less-than-stellar career history. Everyone, naturally, is waiting for him to biff big-time in this latest pursuit.

Rounding out the cast are Leah Remini (King of Queens) as Jack’s Aunt Terry, Johnny Pemberton (21 Jump Street) as his cousin Mason, Edi Gathegi (X Men: First Class) as Tony’s assistant Darren and Danielle Nicolet (The Starter Wife) as Darren’s sister Stitch.

Joshua Sternin (That ’70s Show), J.R. Ventimilia (That ’70s Show), Mark Gordon (Grey’s Anatomy), Andrea Shay (It Takes a Village) and Paul Buccieri (Prime Suspect) executive-produce the series, which is based on the British sitcom White Man Van.

What did you think of Family Tools? Grade the premiere via the poll below, then back up your choice in the comments!

1. Roger Canada says:

Stopped after 8min… noname cast, not funny and f***ing shaky cam

• Cherry says:

no name? I wouldn’t necessarily call J.K. Simmons no name …

• Roger Canada says:

Ok… one name cast

• Rob says:

Leah Remini..

And do you only watch TV shows where an actor has “a name”?

• Carla says:

She was on the King Of Queens. Even a homemade sextape would have made her more famous.

• Midori says:

A show that was watched by 10-14 million viewers, and lasted 207 episodes over 9 seasons.

Yeah, she needs a sex tape.

• KevyB says:

Well, SHE didn’t watch it so that’s clearly the only requirement on whether a show is popular or not.

• Jules says:

I love experts like Carla who think they know everything. Yeah…King of Queens was nothing. Only one of CBS’s most successful comedies lasting almost as long as Friends and Seinfeld, averaging over 10 mil viewers each week. Nine seasons…syndication … But it was nothing and so is Leah Remini. :-)

• Jellymoff says:

More importantly she starred in the “Who’s the Boss” Spin off, “Living Dolls”.

2. I turned it off before the ten minute mark. Not funny at all.

3. Shazay says:

I find Remini to be grating, and one dimensional. She’s always playing the same loudmouth bully type. What would it be like if she played sensitive and wounded?

• Mark says:

Well she did a good job when she had a miscarriage on King of Queens. I know that moment of her in the would have been nursery always makes my mom cry. So I think it’s unfair to say she can’t act, I think she’s just been type casted.

4. Alichat says:

I will be seriously peeved if they don’t renew Suburgatory so they can keep this mess around.

5. Babygate says:

I wanted to like it because of Leah but after I watched some previews I knew not even she could make me watch. Still, I tuned in just to be sure and before the first scene was finished I was already done. Sorry Leah…

6. Christian says:

It was pretty stinky. Shoulda just kept Suburgatory and The Neighbors around all season and shunted this and that other loser starring Sarah Chalke to summer.

• Eran says:

Subugratory and The Neighbours actually both saw their full seasons through. Fingers crossed they both be renewed.

• Midori says:

The Neighbors only got 17 episodes, they should have gotten a few more, and there is no doubt that Subugratory will be back.

7. scg says:

I tried, didn’t last very long, changed it even before the first commercial break. All I could think was, he left The Closer spin-off for THIS??

But I did try!

8. Give it two or three episodes tops. :-(

9. Kate says:

I always watch The Middle & Modern Family & since there is only a half hour between the shows I find easier to just stay oh the channel or tune into another show a half hour in. So, usually I just don’t pay attention for the half hour. Tonight I thought I’d try this. It’s honestly just going to be another show that’s on purely for background noise until the shows I enjoy are on. I didn’t find it amusing or funny. Can’t see it lasting long.

10. Kim R says:

Well….we are going to give it a few episodes. I think it could be quirky/funny if they can settle into a groove. I don’t want to write something off right out of the gate. We’ll see. :)

11. Anthony says:

They got Vern Schillinger to run around town in women’s cloths. Ill give it another week.

12. Et al. says:

Is this the first time fail has won?

13. forwarddad says:

Watched on DVR. Was ok. Gotta remember was the
    Pilot episode. Usually the eps get better. :-)

14. Morgen says:

Even worse (if possible) than How To Live With Your Parents Longer Than The Title Of This Sitcom.
    Makes me miss The Neighbors. Yes, I said it – it was so bad, it made me miss The Neighbors!

• schmed says:

This! ABC’s two latest sitcoms make me wonder if anyone at the network tests these shows with live audiences. No character in either of these shows is appealing, and they’re trapped in premises that seemed designed to have every week follow the same set-up: one generation gets on the other’s nerves (and by extension, ours). Perhaps this is all a reflection of the economy and the focus on finding laughs in straightened circumstances is timely, but there’s no downscale charm here as in “Roseanne” or “Raising Hope.”

15. Leigh says:

It was okay. Hopefully it wont feel so forced next week.

16. J. Norman says:

It wasn’t great, but that is often the case with pilot episodes (first time you see the characters and all).
    I’ll give it a look for a couple of more episodes before deciding.
    I think its at least as good as “How to Live….”

17. Naomi says:

Another Kyle Bornheimer show bound to get cancelled. I think White Van Man was way better.

18. Don D. says:

How does Kyle Bornheimer still get gigs around town. He isn’t very funny at all. Very wooden. He must have some naughty pictures of some network executives.

19. Monica says:

Watched a few minutes. Leah Remini cast as a sister to JK Simmons? 16 year age difference! He looks like her dad who maybe had a daughter when he was young. These two don’t work as siblings! Loved Leah in KING OF QUEENS and not interested in watching her have to play second banana to a bunch of men who aren’t very funny. Tapping my fingers impatiently while I await the return of SUBURGATORY.

20. dude says:

i was liking it but it doesnt have lasting appeal will watch til they yank it

21. edlow says:

The beginning was so slow but I waited t hru and it got better. It has potential. Not better than suburgatory but it could be great.

22. ThatBob says:

What is wrong with ABC’s comedy development? First The Neighbors, then Malibu Country, then How to Live W/Parents and now this? Can no one there read a script and see it just isn’t funny? They would have been better off not sending any of these losers to series. I’d hate to see what they didn’t pick.

• Eli says:

What are you talking about? The Neighbors is actually pretty good and funny. I’ll agree those other 3 are kinda meh, but Neighbors actually rocks.

• ThatBob says:

Neighbors is dumb, dull, and operates on a base level of humor. And the low ratings say it was a poor choice for ABC.

23. S. says:

I liked it. I found it funny, though I did have a hard time with Remini and Simmons as siblings. They don’t match up, really. But I do like it. It didn’t talk down, it didn’t make fun, it wasn’t overly cheesy or senimental. And that is one cute puppy. Who doesn’t love dogs?

24. foodiepop says:

Another show ruined by an unnecessary remake. White Man Van wasn’t that great but this is abysmal. Bornheimer was on another Brit sitcom remake that tanked (Worst Week).

25. Scott says:

The British show was called “White Van Man” not “White Man Van” and it was at least funny. Unlike this pile of **** which failed to translate a single thing that worked in the original show.

26. Elyse says:

I had the show on my DVR but after reading the comments on here I deleted it :( I watch too many shows already to waste my time with crappy ones. I hope the Goodwin Games does better!

27. Aryn says:

I think if they recast Leah Remini’s part and do some tweaking it could be a good show. Sorry Leah Remini fans, her “tough new yorker” act is stale and just too much! She’s a fine actress, but I think if they’d make her character this over the top June Cleaver type it would help a LOT! Potential if they can re-work some elements, recast some parts (not J.K. Simmons or Kyle Bornheimer though); Seinfeld wouldn’t have made it after 1 show airing…those first 6 episodes or so were really bad/rough! Shows need more than a few airings to get their footing :) Why is everyone so quick to cancel things??!!??!!??!!??!!

28. breealashon says:

It didn’t start off that well, but it got better. I enjoyed it more than I enjoyed The Middle. Last night’s episode of The Middle made me cringe.

29. SoFla says:

Thought they tried to hard – threw too much out there and made it a bit chaotic. But, as said above, was the pilot and I will give it another shot the next episode to see if any better.

30. Thebrad says:

Hopefully this will make them realize they need to give the Neighbors another year. If you didn’t watch The Neighbors then don’t judge it on how you think it was because it actually turned out to be one of the funniest shows on Tv.

• Whatever says:

I agree !
      This show was horrid.

• TV Gord says:

I hated The Neighbors when it first started, but it grew on me over the season, as soon as I started to realize they weren’t taking themselves too seriously. I enjoy their winks to the audience that they realize how ludicrous the premise is,especially in the season finale, when the aliens decided to stay on earth for–what did they say?–six or seven “seasons”. I’m glad I stuck with it, and in fact, that’s why I keep watching shows even though I might not like them at first.

31. Kath says:

Who was the neighbor with the three grandkids?

32. Kath says:

He looked and sounded like Elliot Gould….

33. BarbaraGreen says:

This could make it if you would slow it down so the characters could be developed like The Middle and Mike and Molly. Too many people introduced on the first show. Not enough “ineptness” with tools which is a theme. Rewrite and keep trying.

34. damididude says:

The show has nothing to offer. Not funny, the plot is all over the place, terrible writing. Remini’s role was brilliant in the King Of Queens, but casting gave her a character who, in a comedy, is not funny at all.