Emmys

CBS, Y&R Lead Daytime Emmy Nominations; OLTL Nabs Three Nods, Including for Best Drama

Daytime Emmy Nominations 2013CBS led the pack at Wednesday’s announcement of nominees for the 40th Daytime Emmy Awards, amassing 50 total nods.

Fueling the Eye’s impressive showing was a total of 23 nominations for The Young and the Restless, which topped all (of the few remaining) daytime dramas. ABC’s General Hospital followed with 19 nods, while Days of Our Lives netted 17, The Bold and the Beautiful 15.

RELATED | General Hospital Casts ATWT Emmy Winner Maura West — As a Member of the [Spoiler] Family?

One Life to Live, which was eligible for a handful of its final ABC broadcasts, collected three nominations, including in the Outstanding Drama race.

RELATED | AMC and OLTL Stars Reveal What’s New — and Improved — About the Resurrected Dramas

Here are the nominees in a few select major categories; the rest can be found at EmmyOnline.org.

OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES
The Bold and the Beautiful
Days of Our Lives
General Hospital
One Life to Live
The Young and the Restless
(…aka all of them…?)

WRITING FOR A DRAMA SERIES
B&B
GH
OLTL
Y&R

LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Susan Flannery (Stephanie, B&B)
Peggy McCay (Caroline, Days)
Michelle Stafford (Phyllis, Y&R)
Heather Tom (Katie, B&B)

LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA
Peter Bergman (Jack, Y&R)
Doug Davidson (Paul, Y&R)
Michael Muhney (Adam, Y&R)
Jason Thompson (Patrick, GH)

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Julie Marie Berman (ex-Lulu, GH)
Melissa Claire Egan (Chelsea, Y&R)
Jessica Collins (Avery, Y&R)
Katherine Kelly Lang (Brooke, B&B)
Arianne Zucker (Nicole, Days)

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA
Bradford Anderson (Spinelli, GH)
Jeff Branson (Ronan, Y&R)
Scottt Clifton (Liam, B&B)
Billy Miller (Billy, Y&R)

YOUNGER ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Kristen Alderson (ex?-Starr, GH)
Hunter King (Summer, Y&R) — Editor’s note: Someone named Hunter plays someone named Summer? Kids!
Jacqueline Macinnes Wood (Steffy, B&B)
Lindsey Morgan (Kristina, GH)

YOUNGER ACTOR IN A DRAMA
Max Ehrich (Fenmore?!, Y&R)
Bryton James (Devon, Y&R)
Chandler Massey (Will, Days)
Freddie Smith (Sonny, Days)

OUTSTANDING MORNING PROGRAM

Family Feud
Jeopardy!
Let’s Make a Deal
The Price Is Right
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire

1. Brian E. says:

Ha ha I love the editor notes. FWIW Fenmore is named after his mother’s maiden name. Everyone calls him “Fen” (that’s not much better I know).

Fingers crossed for Susan Flannery to get one more in.

2. paul says:

Doug Davidson should ein best actor. He has been overlooked for over 30 years. His scenes where he killed his son were spot on.
    Susan Flannery’ s Death of Stephanie waendlso spot on as was Katherine Kelly Lang ‘s Brooke Logan as Stephanie’s unusual choice for a companion to be eith her at the end.

3. RoSe says:

So Erik Valdez (ex-Trey, GH) isn’t nominated but Lindsay Morgan is?!? Oh the irony!

• Jules says:

And how is Lindsey Morgan nominated for anything? Awful awful and isn’t she ex-Kristina?

• Jason says:

Erik Valdez couldn’t even hold his job he was so bad. But then again you can say the same thing about Lindsay. That couple and those actors were a total failure and GH smartly fired them!!

4. Scott says:

I think Michael Muhney should win! That or the always awesome Peter Bergman. Doug Davidson is meh.

• Tony says:

Agree! Doug Davidson had too much “Look at me!! Emmy please!!” in his performance. The others act more naturally and deserve it more

• Lena120 says:

I would love for Michael Muhney to win because I think he’s one of the best actors on that show. I don’t know what Doug Davidson submitted but his scenes during Ricky’s death were heartbreaking.

• James says:

I think Doug Davidson deserved the Emmy the year he had the scenes with his sister. The Ricky scenes were ok.

• didi says:

Agreed. I love them both, but Doug had the stronger storylines last year and deserves the win! Love him!!

• meme says:

Sorry, all you Y&R fans, but you’re all going to be unhappy. Jason Thompson had a KILLER year on GH, acting-wise. First the death of his wife, then drug addiction (in an attempt to cope with the death of his wife). And he was phenomenal.

• karen de henning says:

christian le blanc is awesome…michael muhney, too! I agree on Peter and Doug.

5. kate says:

hey mat, your former co-worker at tvg — it’s haley king, not hunter king

6. Xandra says:

I think Jason Thompson will win, so will Heather Tom because she’s Heather Tom. But congrats to Katherine Kelly Lang and Kristen Alderson on their first nominations. I wish Robin Mattson were in there too.

• Xandra says:

Forgot to add James Reynolds was robbed!

• meme says:

Agreed, I think (hope) Jason Thompson wins. He deserves it. His scenes after his wife died were absolutely heartbreaking. And he managed to portray his slow slide into drug addiction without over-playing it, which is a rarity. His work last year was nothing short of astonishing.

• Spencer says:

Same here. Jason Thompson was killing it all year long. He was legitimately making me cry from February through the summer. His scenes before Robin’s funeral (especially the scene where he can’t tie his tie) still make me emotional.

7. dude says:

The acting nominees are such a joke. Can’t believe that Kelly Monaco, who was a total rockstar last season, didn’t get nominated but Lindsey Morgan and Kristen Alderson did. For acting. Lindsey Morgan was recognized for acting. Who is paying for these nominees?

• jen says:

THIS!!!

• unyquelykim says:

I totally agree… Doug Davidson, has been overlooked for years, BUT… Nobody does it like Eric Braeden… You S.O.B!! (His words, not mine)
      LOL!!

• Gillian says:

I’m surprised too. I expected Julie Marie Berman in the YA category and Kelly Monaco in the Supporting category. I am also surprised only 4 actresses were nominated under Best Actress
      I was certain Finola Hughes or Laura Wright would be nominated.

• Denise says:

How did Lindsey Morgan get nominated?! UGH!!! Where are all the TALENTED General Hospital stars?

• Meg says:

Not to mention Laura Wright, Finola Hughes, Kelly Sullivan, Rebecca Herbst…

Problem is they only judge one episode and not their body of work from the year.

• Jason says:

LAura Wright is one of the most one note actresses I’ve ever seen. Her voice is so annoying to me. She has this way of saying every line in the same rising high pitch tone. She is nowhere near the actress of Sarah Brown, who made the character so flawed and dual natured. Laura is just annoying!!

8. Rrrrrr says:

So you’re telling me that New!Kate (sorry I’m not good with names) from GH didn’t get a nomination? These categories were so pulled out of someone’s butt. She was freaking regular Emmy worthy when she was going through all DID stuff last Spring (it got a little heavy handed towards the end but that was the writing, not her)

9. didi says:

So happy about the Y&R male lead acting catagories! But where the hell is Sharon Case for best actress??? Did she not submit?

10. Jamie Simone says:

Every soap but AMC got nominated. And if they can bring OLTL and AMC back, they should bring back ATWT and GL. They were the first to transition from radio to tv. They should be back.

11. wrstlgirl says:

Way to go Chandler Massey and Freddie Smith for Days! Wilson Forever :-)

12. Audrey says:

OMG
    Lindsay Morgan is a terrible actress. It’s unbelieveble

• Abe Froman says:

I fear this is going to be a repeat of Brittany Allen who played Marissa on AMC. She was godawful but ended up winning!

• Spencer says:

That was exactly what I thought about when I saw that Lindsay Morgan was nominated, haha. Brittany Allen was absolutely horrible. I was so freaking glad when they recast her character.

13. Lipstick Socialism says:

omg, SUPER DUPER excited that Katherine Kelly Lang finally got her nom. Go, KKL, go!!!

14. GS says:

I don’t watch soaps like I used to but how is Heather Tom a lead actress and Katherine Kelly Lang a supporting actress??? Katie is so freaking annoying and Brooke has been a core character from day 1. In reality this daytime Emmy’s are a joke b/c there are only a handful. But that’s just crazy. No way should Heather Tom be in the same category with Susan Flannery and Susan should win. I watched her death and it was so well done.

15. A.J. says:

Very excited that both Chandler Massey and Freddie Smith were nominated! They are terrific as will and sonny. I hope Chandler wins again this year. He deserves it!
    But I just can’t understand how Eileen Davidson was snubbed for her role as Kristen DiMera! She is so good at being bad and she really has reinvigorated the show. She definitely should have been nominated for Sypport

• Xandra says:

Eileen did not submit herself for Emmy consideration this year. She should’ve won back when she was playing all those roles circa 1997, but I believe she lost to Guiding Light’s Cynthia Watros.

• AJ says:

Thanks for that info. I wonder why she didn’t submit herself? How do you know she didn’t? She is certainly deserving of a nomination this year. Also, I agree, she definitely should have won in ’97, i remember being dumbfounded when she lost.

16. A.J. says:

But I just can’t understand how Eileen Davidson was snubbed for her role as Kristen DiMera! She is so great at playing a nasty character and she really has reinvigorated the show. She definitely should have been nominated for Supporting Actress (or maybe lead). And also Allison Sweeney was amazing all year. She shoulda been nominated!!

17. Jason says:

Hard to believe Lindsey Morgan (Kristina) got nominated for an award! She’s awful and didn’t they just fire her? Jen Lilley or Kirten Storms should have been nominated. Especially Jen Lilley for the Robin’s Death and her subsequent trial storyline!!!

18. Leah says:

Y&R airs at 4’clock in my zone. I can’t help but watch when I’m home. I freaking love Phyllis (Michelle Stafford).

19. nick1372 says:

I am LOL’ing a little at these nominations. Really? Linsdey Morgan? Hahahahahahahaha. Ha.
    Where are Laura Wright and Nancy Lee Grahn?
    ===
    I will say, though. The biggest shock of the night is…
    Wheel of Fortune!!!!! It was snubbed!! What on earth happened??

20. Leigh says:

It is nice to see OLTL nominated. I am disappointed none of the actors were nominated from the show. I am interested to see next year’s Emmy’s and see if OLTL and AMC receive any noms. And Susan Flannery will win. I have never seen an episode of the B&B but with her character dying and her legacy on daytime TV she should be a shoe-in.

21. Katrina says:

Are you KIDDING me!!?? Where the hell is Kelly Sullivan’s name!!!!!? OMG she was absolutely amazing all year!!!! The best actress on daytime hands down!!!! She has gone above and beyond what they should expect from this character!!! This is soooooo wrong!!! I am outraged!! I’m not even a “fan” of any particular actor. I just watch the show along with many other soaps and I am very familiar with the other noms and none of them deserve to be nominated INSTEAD of her!! What a scam!! She deserves so much better than this!!!!

22. J. West says:

Although I don’t see that Marco Dapper is nominated…someone made a great casting call there!!..I’d like to see Michael Muhney and Hunter King win..the others I can’t decide on..lots of talent